Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

for the love of god please read the stupid twitter posts you are reposting on this website

you saw a tweet complaining about a nazi on twitter, so you clicked that nazi's profile and started scrolling? and were surprised by something evil and/or gross being there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i have a serious post i probed someone for linking to a tweet that lead to a beheading video it wasnt intentional but i would like the mods and cspam admins input on what the punishment should be god bless

I went to take a look at the thread and the post was quoted a couple times so I was able to see what it was originally. It looks like that was 3 accounts deep in a tweet chain of somebody complaining to Twitter support that they hadn't suspended the account that was posting beheaded pictures? And then they edited in a content warning because a poster told them "wtf dude I followed the chain back to that account and saw beheaded people"?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

speng31b posted:

in the past it hasn't been a clear policy but some problems arose from that so it is a good thing to do. one example i can think of is when a bunch of gbs posters wrote posts threatening to go after cspam using offsites and the gbs mods at the time just edited the posts and saved no record, and so when the admins wanted to see what happened later they couldn't figure out who said what specifically
somehow less problematic than the forums software supporting admins being able to ninja edit posts with no user visible trace of an edit

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Good shoot snd edits butthead.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

vyelkin posted:

I went to take a look at the thread and the post was quoted a couple times so I was able to see what it was originally. It looks like that was 3 accounts deep in a tweet chain of somebody complaining to Twitter support that they hadn't suspended the account that was posting beheaded pictures? And then they edited in a content warning because a poster told them "wtf dude I followed the chain back to that account and saw beheaded people"?

that soudns right

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

for the love of god please read the stupid twitter posts you are reposting on this website

speng31b
May 8, 2010

vyelkin posted:

the account that posted the bad content was hyperlinked in the tweet that was directly embedded in the site, so it wasn't that many layers of indirection.

anyways I don't think a long punishment is necessary but if someone tells you that you accidentally linked to a beheading the correct response isn't to post a content warning it's to delete the tweet from your post

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

posting my dog in between serious posts about the rwandan genocide

whoever wins, he loses

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

500 good dogs posted:

you saw a tweet complaining about a nazi on twitter, so you clicked that nazi's profile and started scrolling? and were surprised by something evil and/or gross being there?

normally i wouldnt give a poo poo if it was just the regular bigotry you see all the time on twitter but stumbling onto something like a beheading video is very tramuatic and serious when compared to a boomer complaining he cant say the n word

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if there are anymore posts quoting that tweet pm them to me and i'll edit it out

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

that soudns right

ok thanks

sounds more negligent than intentionally harmful to me and I can believe they really didn't know it was there, maybe queue a day on top with a reason telling them to please be more careful checking what content is right there in the tweets they post and I'll run it for you to overwrite the sixer

e: and yeah also what speng said about deleting the post instead of adding a content warning if somebody says hey there's some hosed up poo poo there

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

vyelkin posted:

ok thanks

sounds more negligent than intentionally harmful to me and I can believe they really didn't know it was there, maybe queue a day on top with a reason telling them to please be more careful checking what content is right there in the tweets they post and I'll run it for you to overwrite the sixer

that soudns good to me

speng31b
May 8, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if there are anymore posts quoting that tweet pm them to me and i'll edit it out

Here's the only one

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4029479&pagenumber=82&perpage=40&userid=0#post531354775

if you want to check quickly you can use the forums search function for quotes of that user like

quoting:"username"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

speng31b posted:

Here's the only one

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4029479&pagenumber=82&perpage=40&userid=0#post531354775

if you want to check quickly you can use the forums search function for quotes of that user like

quoting:"username"

animeistrash you little freak

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

normally i wouldnt give a poo poo if it was just the regular bigotry you see all the time on twitter but stumbling onto something like a beheading video is very tramuatic and serious when compared to a boomer complaining he cant say the n word

agreed it's bad, but expecting anyone who posts a tweet to have clicked on every involved person's profile and check for beheading videos is silly, there was no negligence here and it shouldn't have been punished (just removed or warnings added)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

everyone who posts in the musk thread should be punoshed

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

really queer Christmas posted:

working on it

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

really queer Christmas posted:

good point

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
concerning.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
it's weed boxing day

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol the big red warning on the edit posts screen badass

More than a few effortposts have been lost to moderators thinking that they were quoting.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

500 good dogs posted:

agreed it's bad, but expecting anyone who posts a tweet to have clicked on every involved person's profile and check for beheading videos is silly, there was no negligence here and it shouldn't have been punished (just removed or warnings added)

yeah, but after the fact if you find out you accidentally linked to that stuff don't just edit your post to say "content warning, you might see a beheading"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i would have let it go with a sixer under normal circumstances but i dont think you should go unpunished for leading snuff accident or not. please read the stupid tweet you are reposting first to make sure they dont lead to anything actually hosed up or better yet dont post tweets from random accounts to dunk on

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

better yet dont post tweets from random accounts to dunk on
i was gunna say i dont think most people read anyhting below the first tweet, especially a big account like bloomberg or something. i don't use twitter and if i see something i personally never read below it.

but then this is more than fair and the better route, dunking on random nobody twits is stupid

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

speng31b posted:

yeah, but after the fact if you find out you accidentally linked to that stuff don't just edit your post to say "content warning, you might see a beheading"

I assumed that was 16bb editing that in before deciding to nuke them so that makes more sense lol

speng31b
May 8, 2010

500 good dogs posted:

I assumed that was 16bb editing that in before deciding to nuke them so that makes more sense lol

nah that was the original posters edit before 16bb nuked it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

500 good dogs posted:

lol yeah someone quoted the post and said they saw a twitter beheading and they added the trigger warning instead of deleting it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Xaris posted:

i was gunna say i dont think most people read anyhting below the first tweet, especially a big account like bloomberg or something. i don't use twitter and if i see something i personally never read below it.

but then this is more than fair and the better route, dunking on random nobody twits is stupid

in this case it wasn't a related tweet or a reply, the chain was: twitter employee post responding to angry guy asking why she hasn't banned somebody by linking to the guy who should be banned, and then apparently if you clicked through the link to the guy who should be banned you see beheaded people

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
edit: ^^^^ yup that's why I think it's dumb to even consider it negligence EXCEPT that they learned it was bad and didn't edit out the tweet completely

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol yeah someone quoted the post and said they saw a twitter beheading and they added the trigger warning instead of deleting it

yeah that's dumb lol

but also that tweet wasn't dunking on someone random, that's a twitter employee who was saying twitter doesn't have rules against posting hitlers

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

easy on the trigger, rook

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al! posted:

easy on the trigger, rook

dont lose your head over it jeez

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i think three days is fine for that post

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
3 days to give you time to think about elon musk

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

3 days seems fine and i don't even know that guy anyway

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i just wanted to say "easy on the trigger, rook"

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

people on reddit were talking about spamming musk tweets with beheading videos because of ukraine or whatever. lol are they actually doing it?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

CODChimera posted:

people on reddit were talking about spamming musk tweets with beheading videos because of ukraine or whatever. lol are they actually doing it?

i wont be checking

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

CODChimera posted:

I don't think it was related to anything like that the guy was just a real big nazi

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

this all seems fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 58 days!

Al! posted:

thank you for the tie