Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Being a twitchy adderall-fueled mess has always been a pro gamer strat :colbert:

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They made this poo poo way too dark. No way they meant to make it this bad.

edit: could just be confirmation bias but it seems like a lot more reds have been spawning.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 18, 2023

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Groovelord Neato posted:

edit: could just be confirmation bias but it seems like a lot more reds have been spawning.

Don't be racist.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Groovelord Neato posted:

There are definitely more reds spawning and the weapon variants are all so nasty when they're red. I even ran into a black skele in regular, not high roller, queue.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Hard same, red skellies in the Goblin Caves, officially Not Cool

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

BaconCopter posted:

There are definitely more reds spawning and the weapon variants are all so nasty when they're red. I even ran into a black skele in regular, not high roller, queue.

Black skele aced my entire party when we failed to notice that I was black.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BaconCopter posted:

Yeah played a bunch more since my post and it was obvious. Wasn't getting the loot to make up for it either.

I don't get why they changed the lighting with the most recent hotfix/patch. poo poo is way too dark.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Ran across a black skele with spear in normal b2 map. It was fast as gently caress and terrifying. Thank god for bard chaos song.

There's no way they'll keep "spam a few notes fast then finish the last couple accurately trigger the song" in the game. Makes a huuuge difference in uptime.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

I went down to high roller hell with a friend and holy fuckin' poo poo, we were the in our best gear yet, but those fuckin' nightmare enemies are just absolutely insane.

Rest in peace to the 6 capes that I found and died with during the whole playtest. Maybe it'll be extended longer so I can die with more drapes hanging past my dumb rear end.

GGs to the folks I played with on the Discord, I should have been in there more ngl.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Fighter/Slayer with dual wield seems pretty cool, but you take a hugeeee penalty by not being able to wear actual helmets since you can't wear plate. I think they should have an intermediate helmet, as the only option is the Leather Cap. Falchion and Horseman are still super strong.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Hot freaking drat Zweihanders obliterate in Goblin Caves PVP, the second and third swings easily get around those pesky dodgers.

Also potentially RIP to this amazing game, servers just hit some monstrous lag or just stopped entirely. Glad I got 4 player kills during that last GC run with a green +2 weapon damage Zweihander that I got for 30gp off trade chat.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 19, 2023

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

BaconCopter posted:

Also potentially RIP to this amazing game, servers just hit some monstrous lag or just stopped entirely.
It was a server patch, we have until 11pm tn.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I wonder if the login servers were down for a bit last night - we had a match where only one other person was in and of course we all died and they were lucky enough to spawn near library while we were on the other side of the map. Second match was just us and a duo and also no luck with spawn near heavy loot rooms.

I am loving the longsword - great moveset and getting off ripostes feels good. I played the barb last two playtests and as fun as that was it's extremely one note wish I'd been fighter this whole time.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 19, 2023

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
And they get bows too which is just :chef kiss:

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Watching youtubers rogue their way around and pickpocket unsuspecting mages before stabbing them to death has piqued my interest in this game but I have to wonder:

Is it currently in some sort of on/off play test phases, or just always playable?
Has anything come of the Nexon takedown stuff?

Just wary of picking this up and it going nowhere - it looks like it'd be right up my alley otherwise.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

DarkDobe posted:

Watching youtubers rogue their way around and pickpocket unsuspecting mages before stabbing them to death has piqued my interest in this game but I have to wonder:

Is it currently in some sort of on/off play test phases, or just always playable?
Has anything come of the Nexon takedown stuff?

Just wary of picking this up and it going nowhere - it looks like it'd be right up my alley otherwise.
Playtest is free but it uhhh, ends in 5 hours.
Early access slated for May.
Lawsuits can't melt steel torrents.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
was a fun playtest despite the DDoS attacks and the slap dash way everything was implemented from IM. leveled a fighter to 20 and it was kinda meh, then started a ranger and had a lot more fun. I should have played them more last play test when they were OP. anyways, hope to play this game sooner than later

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
Last night I was playing cleric with a barb and a fighter. I was healing them right after a fight when a rogue shows up, quickly dispatches both and runs off. I give chase (I'm full HP + buffed) but obv he's way faster. We get to this room with chains hanging from the ceiling and he double jump up to them, and then just stares at me.

I immediately cast judgement which instagibs him, he falls to the floor and is covered in epic items and one or two blues.

My teammates were cheering and poo poo. So fun, absolutely the highlight of the play test for me.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
Oh, and yes I did manage to extract with all his loot, about 6 hours before end of playtest naturally..

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

Last night I was playing cleric with a barb and a fighter. I was healing them right after a fight when a rogue shows up, quickly dispatches both and runs off. I give chase (I'm full HP + buffed) but obv he's way faster. We get to this room with chains hanging from the ceiling and he double jump up to them, and then just stares at me.

I immediately cast judgement which instagibs him, he falls to the floor and is covered in epic items and one or two blues.

My teammates were cheering and poo poo. So fun, absolutely the highlight of the play test for me.

What does judgement do?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

neurotech posted:

What does judgement do?

Direct damage for 30 and slows.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Groovelord Neato posted:

Direct damage for 30* and slows.

30*+,, depending on (I think) Will stat, isn't it?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
It's baseline 35 and it immediately scales based off of your high will stat, pretty sure it hits for 50+ on most people, I forgot to test it on dummies but rogues were regularly getting 1 shot by geared clerics with it.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Double jumping to the top of the new outdoor map was the best part of the playtest

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Concurred posted:

Double jumping to the top of the new outdoor map was the best part of the playtest

Perching on top of weird outcrops was A+ #1 fun on the new map. The two spiral staircase towers and the battlement were my favorite spot to semi-afk ruin rogue's day as ranger. Triple shot with quickshot can 2 or 3 tap them before they can cancel the looting animation, and triple shot plus armor pen will do nasty damage to people rocking full plate. One of my spots overlooked where the rogues liked to perch, and more than once I saw one sitting to rest and shat on him.

Just camping the chests and waiting for an exit portal to camp was reliable, dirty cheap fun. It helped that there were enough skele archers on the map to reliably get a new green longbow every 2nd or 3rd match, which made getting dumpsterd by rogues randomly less painful.

Edit: Also because of the trap quantity nerf nobody was really expecting them, so buying a stack of traps and putting them in the tall grass near some doors was also a great way to cause trouble.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
We had a couple of good matches with traps, for and against. Placing them on the other side of a door when you expect them to push worked wonderfully. It creates this blockade of a fighter/barbarian or something that you can just focus on. They aren't busted by any means, but they gotta stop and pick it, which is enough to get enough hits in for the huge advantage.

Felt like rangers were in a good place. Not busted like they used to be, but just balanced. I think most of this patch felt that way, even though rogues double jump needs looking at. It just makes combat too spastic. You can just jump and change direction in mid air, making misses common. I'm sure it'll be changed, just not sure how.

I say changed and now we gotta wait and see with this lawsuit, which recently extended into the USA. Might be some time until we see the game again, but I fully expect we will in some capacity.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
No idea how accurate this is, but it seems like they have lawyers and are making moves? Says this was posted 5 hours ago.

https://www.gamesradar.com/dark-and...-bully-tactics/

quote:

Today, lawyers representing Dark and Darker developer Ironmace sent a letter to Valve disputing the DMCA notice that led to the game's removal from Steam.

"The Takedown Notice is based on claims that are entirely without merit and contains knowing and material misrepresentations that Dark and Darker infringed Nexon’s copyright interests," as Greenberg Glusker lawyer Aaron Moss writes on behalf of Ironmace. Moss argues that Nexon's claims are "nothing more than anti-competitive bully tactics designed to put a small indie game studio out of business..."

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

No idea how accurate this is, but it seems like they have lawyers and are making moves? Says this was posted 5 hours ago.

https://www.gamesradar.com/dark-and...-bully-tactics/

This is just a PR stunt, and has no legal anything to it. I don't think Steam can even bring back D&D now even if it wanted to, because Nexon sued.

EDIT: Yeah it's just a "Pleaseeee Valve please ignore the DMCA and the lawsuit and put us back up on Steam!" Uh, I'm sure Valve really wants to get invovled.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 21, 2023

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea expect lots of PR from both sides. Both sides want themselves to look good. Ironmace really wants to keep this game in the minds of gamers and to appear as if they are not only fighting, but winning. What either side says in press releases isn't gonna matter, it's what the courts say, or what they settle on.

Or do people think Valve announced they were sent a letter?

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Kchama posted:

As stated before, 'Trade secrets' are generally "could you have made this game without this specific knowledge?" which in this case is the knowledge they gained working on the game for Nexon. Which is why they hold up all those things as examples, because every bit that is the same as P3, even if it's something very generic like Unreal Engine Files, leads weight to the idea that they could only make the game as it is because they had the experience with P3. If Ironmace had made this game without any ex-Nexon devs, then they'd be free and clear on the Trade Secrets issues. I really don't get why they decided to go with that one guy's plan to just replicate P3 to the very same store assets, it was insanely dumb.

The idea that the knowledge of how to make Dark and Darker is some how a trade secret is laughable. Especially since it's made in Unreal 4/5. There's nothing particularly special about the technical aspect of Dark and Darker or really most first person games. They are all made in very very similar ways under the hood. What is unique is the will, creativity to do it. We've seen tons of "spiritual successors" in gaming, games that are similar but legally distinct.

Nexon being a big pub was almost certainly making stupid decisions about P3 that the dev team pushed back on and was not listened to. The project failed and the people who actually knew what they were doing left and made the thing they wanted to make with out interference. Nexon didn't think P3 would work and didn't want to take a financial risk on a game like P3. When Ironmace took the risk and made a game similar to P3 Nexon moved in. Nexon is just greedy and trying to steal a part of their pie. Whatever the public story this is my bet on the real version of events. It's a story that gets repeated over and over across game development. Big pubs avoid risk, small devs take risks.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

reminder to be deeply skeptical of any claims made by any party.

members of large corporations are not above brazenly lying and smearing in public or through rumor mills. even the claim that they really wanted to make p3 a reality should be viewed with suspicion.

remember the absurd fiasco mick gordon went through with an id exec publicly smearing him.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Don't know or care what, if anything, was "stolen". Eat a settlement to avoid getting dragged through the court system until they run out of money and let me play the drat game already.

Or just pull an ultimate power play and opensauce the server, since the most recent client softwre is already out there forever due to the torrent distro method. Fulfill the prophecy Iron Mace, set her free!!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

sushibandit posted:

Don't know or care what, if anything, was "stolen". Eat a settlement to avoid getting dragged through the court system until they run out of money and let me play the drat game already.

Or just pull an ultimate power play and opensauce the server, since the most recent client softwre is already out there forever due to the torrent distro method. Fulfill the prophecy Iron Mace, set her free!!

there is no settlement that isn't "dark and darker does not come out" and I think IM would like to make money off their game at all possible

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FPeUSOIGM

Apparently the idea for D&D/P3 was literally just stolen from a Chivalry 1 mod that Koreans liked anyway. :lmao:

Slap tarkov vendors/extraction on it and that's what we have. They should just show this video in court.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ostrava posted:

The idea that the knowledge of how to make Dark and Darker is some how a trade secret is laughable. Especially since it's made in Unreal 4/5. There's nothing particularly special about the technical aspect of Dark and Darker or really most first person games. They are all made in very very similar ways under the hood. What is unique is the will, creativity to do it. We've seen tons of "spiritual successors" in gaming, games that are similar but legally distinct.

Nexon being a big pub was almost certainly making stupid decisions about P3 that the dev team pushed back on and was not listened to. The project failed and the people who actually knew what they were doing left and made the thing they wanted to make with out interference. Nexon didn't think P3 would work and didn't want to take a financial risk on a game like P3. When Ironmace took the risk and made a game similar to P3 Nexon moved in. Nexon is just greedy and trying to steal a part of their pie. Whatever the public story this is my bet on the real version of events. It's a story that gets repeated over and over across game development. Big pubs avoid risk, small devs take risks.

It's not that Dark And Darker or P3 are some kind of special butterfly that no one has done before. It's just the law considers a specific expression of a video game to be a 'trade secret' in this case. Like don't preach to me, preach to literally the law.

Though the part where both stories agree is that Choi was causing trouble in Nexon, and he got himself fired doing stupid and definitely wrong things (otherwise he wouldn't be fired and he'd get a sizable severance check). The only people who claim that P3 was cancelled and wouldn't take a financial risk on P3 was Choi, since he quit and took the team with him literally like, the week after P3 was revealed to the world. If Nexon wasn't going to take the financial risk on P3 at all, why would they even reveal it to the world at all? And even according to Choi, he was going to take the P3 team and make P3 elsewhere if they fired him for stealing the source files. Like that's part of his own story that he stole the files by copying them without permission, and that it was actually REALLY unprofessional of Nexon (his wording) to want to audit the files he took.

So if it isn't the case, he should shut the gently caress up and stop telling people that.

EDIT: Like the big issue is that Ironmace has refused to put up anything that could confirm their story at all. They've said lots of things, but it's all been Discord announcements and nothing that they have any sort of skin at risk for saying. So Nexon's filing has more weight in my eyes, since at least they're willing to put something out that they are willing to attest to legally. It's not just PR fluff like that laughable "Valve please let us back on Steam" letter that they distributed to the media. And if Nexon isn't lying, then whew boy. They actually have something.

Of course, if they're lying, then gently caress 'em, but there's no proof of that just yet.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 22, 2023

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

In my opinion IM approached this and executed in the worst ways possible. I mean the loading screen art was lifted from P3. Then later slightly altered so they can claim it isn’t the same. The tavern was cloned from P3, which is why they changed it in the latest playtest but it’s not like they will convince anyone in court. If you stole art and didn’t bother to change it, then chances are they stole code too. Which is all very sad, because I loving love this game, but they did not go about this the right way.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Akumos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FPeUSOIGM

Apparently the idea for D&D/P3 was literally just stolen from a Chivalry 1 mod that Koreans liked anyway. :lmao:

Slap tarkov vendors/extraction on it and that's what we have. They should just show this video in court.

Why is the FOV so hosed up

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Why is the FOV so hosed up

because its chivalry and you need to be able to see the windmill ballerina zweihander guys swinging away behind you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Minorkos posted:

because its chivalry and you need to be able to see the windmill ballerina zweihander guys swinging away behind you

lol amazing. I thought maybe he was just a massive weirdo. Though I guess he kinda still is.