Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Siegenthaler back in

Bahl out, Smith stays.

Looks like Wood is rotating on the 4th line with 5 other options..Let's hope he doesn't play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

ThinkTank posted:

How has Bo Horvat been for the Isles? His offensive numbers fell off a cliff after the trade and he's pointless through three playoff games. I'm pretty surprised by that because he'd been fantastic in the playoffs the few times he'd made it with the Canucks.

Hes6soing everything right but the puck isn't in the back of the net. I have a tough time hating him, but also a tough time making excuses.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/sportsnet/status/1649601957118750721?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Incredible work by Arvidsson here, put his body on the line to sell this

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Somebody hates them some NHL on ESPN:

quote:

NHL fans get the same insult, as he’s been assigned to the Kings-Oilers series along with Kevin Weekes and Ryan Callahan. The three of them have the chemistry of two mongooses and a cobra and the rhythm of failing brakes

https://deadspin.com/espn-nhl-hocke...source=facebook

E- added quote

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 22, 2023

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
oh mcdavid is soft lmao, oilers are in trouble

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

CBJSprague24 posted:

Somebody hates them some NHL on ESPN:

https://deadspin.com/espn-nhl-hocke...source=facebook

E- added quote

Weeks and Callahan rule. This person is silly.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/hockeydaily365/status/1649644498257948672?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Darnell Nurse (#25 in above clip) and Jack Campbell (on bench as backup goalie) are making a combined $14.25mil for 4 more years

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is it just me or do this year's playoffs seem dirtier than usual
This isn’t the NBA thread.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/hockeydaily365/status/1649644498257948672?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Darnell Nurse (#25 in above clip) and Jack Campbell (on bench as backup goalie) are making a combined $14.25mil for 4 more years

I've watched the replay of this goal at least 10 times and I still have no idea what Nurse was doing.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I expect the stars to come out flying next game but tonight they looked old and confused.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

soggybagel posted:

I expect the stars to come out flying next game but tonight they looked old and confused.

Yeah this was the first game in the series where they spent the entire game just looking lost. Game 1 ended up being a coin flip of bad bounces after a flat start by Dallas, but they still had a chance to win it. Game 2 was all them. This one was all Minnesota. Genuinely frustrating.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Man, that was a high stick on the Kings OT winner. Not that I'm in favour of video review of nearly irrelevant plays like that, but by how those reviews go that should've been called back.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/russohockey/status/1649147554603364370?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Foligno got a diving penalty last night :yeshaha:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1649534703710658561?s=20

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sorry that took so long. I'm not quite used to this form. I call it Super Cringe 3.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
so they pushed the flames guy into the dumpster and he came out with an Oilers jersey? I'm not fuckin Cervantes but I don't think that's the story they were trying to tell

also gently caress the Oilers lol

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

ThinkTank posted:

Man, that was a high stick on the Kings OT winner. Not that I'm in favor of video review of nearly irrelevant plays like that, but by how those reviews go that should've been called back.
I think there should be (or may be there is) a provision in the high stick rule that it isn't used if (a) the touch was entirely accidental and/or (b) the touch didn't really affect the play.

This situation satisfies both those stipulations. It was the most gentle of touches. If Vilardi's stick was an inch towards the glass and doesn't make contact, the puck would have fallen exactly the same way down.

I guess its one of those letter of the law vs spirit of the law type of things.

edit: similarly, they really need to get rid of replays for offsides by a fraction of an inch 20 seconds after a goal is scored.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 22, 2023

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Kite posted:

edit: similarly, they really need to get rid of replays for offsides by a fraction of an inch 20 seconds after a goal is scored.

Agreed with this. If a team scores on a break that was offside, call off the goal. But if they enter a bit offside and then cycle the puck for a while before scoring it should stand.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
it would be cool if the oilers did not take 5 completely bone headed penalties every game

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

The Dirty Burger posted:

Foligno got a diving penalty last night :yeshaha:
https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1649626971633065986
The context here is that Foligno demolished Benn (legally and, I'd say, cleanly) netfront and took a crosscheck from Harley right after (puck had already moved on), feet away from the watching ref. With no call on the first crosscheck, Foligno went down like he was shot on the second.

This came moments after Zucc's coincidental minor for... receiving? expired:
https://twitter.com/StateOfHoppy/status/1649626979677683712

Semirelated: There appear to be like a thousand TEMU discount code spam bots that fire up after every goal with the scoring player's name?

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 22, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

I think there should be (or may be there is) a provision in the high stick rule that it isn't used if (a) the touch was entirely accidental and/or (b) the touch didn't really affect the play.

The problem is that then becomes subjective and the line between affecting and not affecting the play is slight and entirely open to interpretation.

I'm just generally in favour of eliminating instant replay for anything unrelated to propelling the puck into the net. Has any of these marginal offside or goaltender interference reviews actually improved anyone's enjoyment of the sport at all?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Dean has to start Gus in Game 4.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They would still review those, they’d just have a clock running during it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ThinkTank posted:

The problem is that then becomes subjective and the line between affecting and not affecting the play is slight and entirely open to interpretation.

I'm just generally in favour of eliminating instant replay for anything unrelated to propelling the puck into the net. Has any of these marginal offside or goaltender interference reviews actually improved anyone's enjoyment of the sport at all?

Yeah I loving loved the Oilers losing the game twice inside 10 minutes last night.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

ThinkTank posted:

Considering the Penguins cup run hinged on multiple marginal and pivotal offside challenges....yes

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

ThinkTank posted:

Speaking of goaltender interference reviews :v:

ThinkTank posted:

I feel like you could timebound (review if the goal is within 5? 10? seconds of the questionable entry/retention) offsides and keep the intent of rectifying blatant and directly impactful errors. The way it's set up now, it feels like there no good reason not to expand reviews to "did the scoring team obtain the puck as a result of an uncalled penalty in the neutral zone or defensive end?"why did I put that into the universe?

Goalie interference needs to be either objective or unreviewable and I'd prefer the latter. It's such a mess right now.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

ThinkTank posted:

True. But in yesterday's play, it would be way on the "not affecting" side of the line.

I also think the intent of the high stick is very important. The entire point of the rule is so that players don't swing at pucks mid-air and accidentally McSorley-on-Brashear someone. But yesterday Vilardi lifted it in the air to get it around Ekholm.

Also, the goal was 16 seconds after the stick tap. Last night I thought it was the play immediately before. Oilers had several attempts to clear the zone. What a waste of time and my nerves reviewing a play that had no affect on the goal.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Rielly pisses me off constantly but I think if I was an oilers fan watching Nurse gently caress around out there would have aneurysmd me out by now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Oilers are not a good team. They did great in the regular season because they have Connor McDavid at his full God Mode peak, but whose poo poo doesn't work in the playoffs when it's open season for anyone who wants to just grab/hook him and drag him down. Even with that they were only even in last night's game because McDavid made two ridiculous sniper plays.

This team is saddled with Nurse for another 7 years. Hyman for 5. Campbell for 4. Ken Holland will still be the GM for $DEITY knows how long. When he finally is fired he will probably be replaced with Jim Benning. Unless McDavid gets a personality transplant and demands a trade he will never win a Cup.

grack posted:

I've watched the replay of this goal at least 10 times and I still have no idea what Nurse was doing.

The really LOL thing is that this is true of all three Kings goals. Literally all three of the replays featured one of the commentators saying some variation on "I don't know what Darnell Nurse was doing". I'm pretty sure that is verbatim what they said on the first goal.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 22, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Looks like Schmid is the likely starter tonight.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
very possible all series are 2-1 after tonight so i'm not seeing anything especially damning about the oilers :shrug:

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yup. I know we are emotionally invested but it's odd to see such finality in the doom and gloom of SAS considering we all have experienced many playoff seasons. The fact remains that it's not a particularly uncommon thing for teams to go down in a series and then roar back. You win the netx game, flip the momentum, and go on a nice run.

This "the Oilers are garbage, it worked in the regular season but won't work in the playoffs" stuff because they're down 2-1 in a series against a solid and competitive team is insane. The Oilers are as capable as any team in the playoffs of waking up and going on a ridiculous run at any time.

Even the Devils. It's been embarrassing so far, but if they can find a way to win Game 3 and turn the momentum, it's still possible for them to tie it up and then take the series. For the record, I expected the Rangers to win from the start and don't think NJ is going to win the series, but crazier things have happened. Just ask the 2022 Pittsburgh Penguins.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

I also think the intent of the high stick is very important. The entire point of the rule is so that players don't swing at pucks mid-air and accidentally McSorley-on-Brashear someone. But yesterday Vilardi lifted it in the air to get it around Ekholm.

Intent on high sticks shouldn't matter. First safety rule as a 5 year old is sticks down, anything bad that happens when you raise your stick is your own fault and no one should get the benefit of the doubt.

But in general, I think all replays should just be like 45 seconds max, with like 1 live speed view at the different camera angles available. After that, the ipad turns off automatically and if you can't see anything from that, call on the ice stands because it clearly wasn't obvious enough. You'll miss a call here and there, but people are still debating calls anyways even if they are taking 20 minutes so it's not like the extra time is actually helping.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I can only speak for myself but the new Oilers look the same as the old Oilers to me, I don't think the Kings are a particularly good team, but I picked the Kings to win the series anyway. Take away half of what McDavid does because Playoff Rules and the Oilers are just ugly. I think McDavid is still underrated and underappreciated, because dragging that sorry-rear end, defense-free roster and unremarkable coach to within two points of the 1 seed is insane. Their top defensive pairing is Darnell Nurse and Cody Ceci for gods' sake!

They may still beat the Kings, of course. It's the Pacific, so they could easily make another WCF run. They are not gonna win the Cup, not now and probably not ever. It's not because they're chokers or cursed or anything, it's just because they're a mediocre team flying high on the wings of the best player since Lemieux at his absolute peak. Even ignoring Playoff Rules considerations, a one or two or even three man team is not a formula for winning the Cup.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

High sticking and delay of game are the only penalty in the NHL where intent doesn't matter.

I don't know if that's dumber than if they didn't or not but it's dumb.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

fawning deference posted:

Yup. I know we are emotionally invested but it's odd to see such finality in the doom and gloom of SAS considering we all have experienced many playoff seasons. The fact remains that it's not a particularly uncommon thing for teams to go down in a series and then roar back. You win the netx game, flip the momentum, and go on a nice run.

Does 2-3 wins in a row qualify as a nice run? Asking for a friend.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Are we talking about high-sticking the puck or an actual high sticking penalty here? I don't recall an uncalled high sticking penalty towards the end of the game last night but I think there was maybe an uncalled stoppage for high sticking the puck?

edit: but even then the high sticking the puck stoppage allows for it to go uncalled if it's batted into an opponent which is what I think happened.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Aphrodite posted:

High sticking and delay of game are the only penalty in the NHL where intent doesn't matter.

too much man also

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Aphrodite posted:

There’s two kinds of rules in the nhl, fair play rules and safety rules. I’ve always thought of high sticking as a safety rule, so it makes sense that intent doesn’t matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Too much man allows for ref interpretation though, if the ref thinks a guy going off is close enough to the bench, making his way off, and is trying to avoid the play, then more than 5 skaters can be on the ice. Corey Perry whined about it last year's playoffs because Landeskog was crawling off the ice without a skate blade when Kadri came on and Perry thought Landeskog wasn't quite close enough to the bench at the time.