Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rewatched s1 then did s2-3 before the new season started, and then read the thread to see reactions from each episodes.

I’ve learned two things - one, boy am I glad I didn’t have to deal with that 3 year wait between s2 and s3, and two, there is zero point trying to predict where this show is going for even minor elements based on the track record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I still really want to know why Fuches had Barry kill that family man in the hotel room.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wouldn’t mind that being resolved in the final episode, a nice way to bookend the show.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

final scene of the series, barry and fuches sit down to talk about that kill, barry starts to tell the story and then, bam, feral karate girl comes in with a flying kick from off screen and just takes his fuckin head off

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Fuches was right behind him in line for pretzels and family man got the last pretzel of the day.

I can't remember what show that's from.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I probably wouldn't care as much about the dude in the hotel if it wasn't for the return to it in season 3. Maybe they only wrote that in so there would be one more group of people trying to kill Barry, but the fact that the victim was having a normal conversation with his wife right before absolutely intrigues me. Plus, she's still sad about it all this time later.

If he was into some poo poo, the happy go lucky nature would be a really creepy cover. Also, you'd think some of whatever he was into would have come up since his death. Guy gets murdered in cold blood, you'd think some dirt would be dug up.

Barry's other victims all had reasons, as flimsy as some of them were, to have been killed. Ryan was loving around with Goran's wife. Jeff and the other dude were literally there because one of them contacted Barry directly (I can't remember anything about that, only that there's NO FORGIVING JEFF!), Ronnie was loving the wife of Moss' old partner, and Barry's war buddy was going to go to the cops. Everyone else, unless I'm forgetting someone, died due to actions and circumstances in the scenes themselves (Taylor, Taylor's sister (?), Moss, a bunch of the Bolivians and Chechens in that monastery, etc).

Literally everyone is somehow accounted for, except for the dude in the hotel room. I wanna know why.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

FireWorksWell posted:

Fuches was right behind him in line for pretzels and family man got the last pretzel of the day.

I can't remember what show that's from.

It might have been in something else too, but this situation did kind of happen in the movie First Cow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nameless Pete posted:

This would be a great ensemble for, like, 1988 Lisa Bonet.

Holy poo poo yes that is a total Lisa Bonet outfit :vince:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Lister posted:

It might have been in something else too, but this situation did kind of happen in the movie First Cow.

Oh, I figured out what it was; American Dad; Stan's trying to convince his subconscious that killing can be justified. There's a small bit with Roger trying to 'help', explaining on the way to said guy's house that this guy ran a trafficking ring and some other horrible poo poo before the guy speaks up that he remembers Roger from the pretzel place.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

sticksy posted:

The way Hader cut to reveal Hank in the Mexican restaurant was masterful

it is a classic Santa Fe by way of Los Angeles look. just perfect

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Season 3 wrapped the show up so nicely I was a little worried about there being a ssn4, but nope, still great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo yes that is a total Lisa Bonet outfit :vince:

For anyone not getting it, remember anything Denise on the cosby show wore.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I want to briefly point out that the actor who played the District Attorney was also the captain of the remnant forces on The Mandalorian last week. I watched the episodes back-to-back and did a double take. Goons will probably best know him as the voice of Jefferson Twilight, Blacula Hunter.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Bill Hader is just knocking it out of the park with this show, and I'm happy that he's not afraid of getting a little bit more weird in the final season and willing to leave the audience wanting more.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's a simple bit, but Hank's "you can't find sand?" killed me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

It's a simple bit, but Hank's "you can't find sand?" killed me.

That and Fuches first attempt at getting info out of Barry cracked me up

(Yelling loudly across a courtyard) “So remember that guy you killed? How’d you do that?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Bringing back the fantasy daydreams that I thought they dropped from the first couple episodes is a nice little touch too. Those were the future, these are the past. It’s like poetry, it rhymes!

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Robobot posted:

Bringing back the fantasy daydreams that I thought they dropped from the first couple episodes is a nice little touch too. Those were the future, these are the past. It’s like poetry, it rhymes!

They may have gone too far in a few places.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I don't think they've haven't not gone too far enough!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
fuches is really funny. took a while but he was my favourite character last season. he is such a piece of poo poo.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

MadJackal posted:

They may have gone too far in a few places.

:respek:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I had somehow missed or forgotten in the S3 finale they showed Sally and Gene on the beach :ohdear:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

sticksy posted:

I had somehow missed or forgotten in the S3 finale they showed Sally and Gene on the beach :ohdear:

Were they really? I never caught that either.

I've been rewatching some episodes to pass the time and that scene with Albert and Fuches was fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBUFGcWMsxA

Fuches is the definition of a multi-layered character and Stephen Root constantly brings it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

In my rewatch I just worked my way up to the episode where the grieving mother and son decide to kill Barry.

When the gun goes off accidentally in the car, I remember watching that for the first time and it was so unexpected and I just howled with laughter.

Over and over again they’ve done something I just never saw coming. I don’t know what kind of numbers the show has done as far as ratings, but I seem to see a lot of people who just don’t “get” it.

It’s quite funny but also dark as gently caress, and I love the way they mix those two things, but the dark poo poo really puts some people off, maybe.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

MrMojok posted:

When the gun goes off accidentally in the car, I remember watching that for the first time and it was so unexpected and I just howled with laughter.

Same, and Barry's reaction was the perfect way to cap it off.

The LMG handoff on the highway might be the only moment I've laughed harder.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

FireWorksWell posted:

The LMG handoff on the highway might be the only moment I've laughed harder.

Haha yes, I’m watching that episode now and the chase is just about to kick off.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

My favorite Fuches scene is in the S2 finale where he starts giving a speech to Hank and Cristobal except that he’s so far away no one can hear him. But then his speech actually has genuine emotional depth to it.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Hughmoris posted:

Were they really? I never caught that either.

I've been rewatching some episodes to pass the time and that scene with Albert and Fuches was fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBUFGcWMsxA

Fuches is the definition of a multi-layered character and Stephen Root constantly brings it.

I'm really looking forward ro Albert coming hack. I loved that he was the only competent person in the show and I just realized earlier he also knows where the guy that Sally killed is buried. With Barry talking to the FBI I feel like its only a matter of time until he comes back.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

I'm really looking forward ro Albert coming hack. I loved that he was the only competent person in the show and I just realized earlier he also knows where the guy that Sally killed is buried. With Barry talking to the FBI I feel like its only a matter of time until he comes back.

Uh...

Edit: Oh, wait I thought Barry killed Albert. Why did I think that? Never mind.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 22, 2023

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

roomtone posted:

fuches is really funny. took a while but he was my favourite character last season. he is such a piece of poo poo.

Every scene he's in I try to guess how he's going to be a piece of poo poo this time, it makes the character really fun. So far S4 keeps subverting me. I'm still waiting for the shoe to drop.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

veni veni veni posted:

Uh...

Edit: Oh, wait I thought Barry killed Albert. Why did I think that? Never mind.

I thought this for a moment too. Did they have some sort of standoff in the desert? I really should go back and rewatch the third season.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

I thought this for a moment too. Did they have some sort of standoff in the desert? I really should go back and rewatch the third season.

It was near the end of the last episode of s3. Barry was dropping the body of the guy Sally killed into a hole, turned around, and Albert was standing there. That’s the last we’ve seen of him.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I think you just remember him killing Albert because it was what it seemed like was going to happen. Then they subvert it with Albert giving him another chance and just walking away while Barry cried. So unless they're going to retcon it as a hallucination or something he should still be in the mix if they want him.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Yeah the tragedy of Albert's last scene is that Barry needed to hear him say "I know you're a good person" way back in season 1, hearing it at that point just before going to confront Mr Moss prevents zero tragedies because he's already past the point of no return morally

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah the tragedy of Albert's last scene is that Barry needed to hear him say "I know you're a good person" way back in season 1, hearing it at that point just before going to confront Mr Moss prevents zero tragedies because he's already past the point of no return morally

Yeah, framing it as another "You can be a good person...starting now!" like the end of Season 1 was such a rough moment knowing how far gone Barry was.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

grobbo posted:

The Fuches gang recruitment scene felt nakedly like a classic Simpsons bit with Fuches in the Homer role.

"TV fan, are you? We'll call you...TV...Groove Tube!"

"The Raven is connected to some very heavy hitters. I can't say who. Let's just say, they're not Russian, but...you'd think they were ;)"
"THEY CHECHENS?"
"Yeah, they're Chechens."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

This has been a wild ride already. Goddamn but this show is good.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

xbilkis posted:

"The Raven is connected to some very heavy hitters. I can't say who. Let's just say, they're not Russian, but...you'd think they were ;)"
"THEY CHECHENS?"
"Yeah, they're Chechens."

Fuches mouth twitch during this exchange was comedy gold.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I liked that before the big presentation at Dave & Buster's, all of the gang members had won prizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Davros1 posted:

I liked that before the big presentation at Dave & Buster's, all of the gang members had won prizes.

I hate how in the real world you can't just get a stuffed pokemon anymore all the prizes are just D&B branded merch :argh: