Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The tendency of many modern TV shows (especially sci-fi but others probably do it as well) that feel the need to provide badly written over-explanations of everything.

For example: It's not enough to say that budgeting explains the discrepancies between OG Star Trek Klingons and more modern ones; instead, let's write :words: about Augments and double secret probation diseases that magically changed Klingon's appearances for reasons! When they're not doing that, they're making Section 31 the cause of everything vaguely mysterious in Star Trek history.

I know it's probably not just Star Trek either; the sequel trilogy of Star Wars has this same tendency and it robs franchises of their mystique. Writers who do this are not nearly as clever as they seem to think they are.

That Deep Space 9 episode had the perfect explanation for the difference between the Klingons.

"We do not discuss it with outsiders :colbert: "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just had a sneezing fit so prolonged and irritatingly-paced I was almost weeping and begging for it to stop by the end. What the gently caress

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

I just had a sneezing fit so prolonged and irritatingly-paced I was almost weeping and begging for it to stop by the end. What the gently caress

This thread is to post pet peeves, not wet sneeze.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

oldpainless posted:

Customer service workers who tell you they’ll be happy to solve your problem when you call and 45 minutes later not only have they not solved your problem they’ve actually created more

When I worked at a T-Mobile call center, a full 33% of calls I got were to fix a mistake other reps made.

edit: a lot of it had to do with the incredibly high turnover. Most people were either employed for years or were brand new at the job.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Spalec posted:

That Deep Space 9 episode had the perfect explanation for the difference between the Klingons.

"We do not discuss it with outsiders :colbert: "

Yes it did, and in my opinion they should have kept it at that.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Yes it did, and in my opinion they should have kept it at that.
And stopped upping the budget on them.. Christ, the first episode of Enterprise (and prolly later ones I didn’t watch) had the actors so gimmicked up they could barely move.

They were almost as ridiculously bulked up and immobile as The Rock in Red Notice.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
My neighbors have driveways long enough to accommodate 3-4 vehicles but for some reason they all park their singular cars over the sidewalk and with the rear sticking out a meter into the street. It would take an extra 1/16 second for them to park normally.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Where I live, it's illegal to block/park over the sidewalk, if you felt like calling in a complaint.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
oh look one of them is at it again

it doesn't even make sense from a laziness standpoint because now he has to walk eight times as far to get to the house

blood splatter on the sidewalk because the dipshit forgot to remove his hand from under the hood before slamming the hood shut lol

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

LOL, dumbass

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Dip Viscous posted:

blood splatter on the sidewalk because the dipshit forgot to remove his hand from under the hood before slamming the hood shut lol

Legit? I'm kinda worried about these people

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Dip Viscous posted:

it doesn't even make sense from a laziness standpoint because now he has to walk eight times as far to get to the house

This looks like you took this photo from their front porch.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Brawnfire posted:

Legit? I'm kinda worried about these people

Americans? You are right to

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

The tendency of many modern TV shows (especially sci-fi but others probably do it as well) that feel the need to provide badly written over-explanations of everything.

This, it annoys the crap out of me when TV shows and movies over explain every little thing. Subtlety exists, you don’t need to explicitly spell everything out for the audience.

Related to this, YouTube “critics” with seven hour long videos dissecting things they don’t like in minute detail, as if they’re the sole arbiters of what is or isn’t good writing and you’re just wrong if you disagree.

Bargearse has a new favorite as of 09:26 on Apr 24, 2023

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Bargearse posted:

This, it annoys the crap out of me when TV shows and movies over explain every little thing. Subtlety exists, you don’t need to explicitly spell everything out for the audience.

No, but if you don't spell it out all the stupid people who spent half the movie playing on their phones "wOn'T uNdErStAnD AnYtHiNg"

Peoples' attention spans have been tanking for years, it sucks but it's not surprising that any media not over-explaining things ends up being labeled as "bad" or "confusing" to distracted morons

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://twitter.com/LoganPaul/statu...eamp%3D1amp%3D1

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

oldpainless posted:

Customer service workers who tell you they’ll be happy to solve your problem when you call and 45 minutes later not only have they not solved your problem they’ve actually created more

As a former customer service worker, I try to give them as much leeway as humanly possible, but this pisses me off and also:

- when they tell me they'll be happy to solve my problem and they try to repeat my problem back to me to confirm but it is completely incorrect
- when they tell me they'll be happy to solve my problem and then lots of time goes by and they come back & tell me that they solved [problem I didn't have]

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

As a former customer service worker, I try to give them as much leeway as humanly possible, but this pisses me off and also:

- when they tell me they'll be happy to solve my problem and they try to repeat my problem back to me to confirm but it is completely incorrect
- when they tell me they'll be happy to solve my problem and then lots of time goes by and they come back & tell me that they solved [problem I didn't have]

Actual CS workers deal with a lot of crap, but one modern online peeve of mine are "support volunteers" who hang out at company support forums and universally never have any helpful input.

Like you ask a question and you get some idiot who has a "OmniCorp enthusiast" tag on their profile and they paste some totally irrelevant copypasta while using vague corporate language.

Then some actual real person replies and gives a helpful answer.

Why would anyone LARP as CS? I get that some people enjoy helping but these people always talk in that CS manner and only answer in preset form. You are acting like a fool with zero benefit for anyone.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Peeve: people who have to make noise constantly, as if being silent is impossible for them. I sit near a guy who lets out all manner of grunts, groans, sighs, coughs, throat clearing or even just talking to himself under his breath nearly all day long. I know he's got a bad back (thankfully he'll be out for a bit next month to have minor surgery) but I swear he just will. not. shut. up. On top of that he'll walk over or peek over the wall & interrupt me even if he doesn't need my help for anything - I wear a headset most of the time & get all manner of "why are you so quiet" or "I don't hear you so you must not be busy". I swear if I hear another goddamn noise from this idiot his bad back will be the least of his problems.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

lobsterminator posted:

Actual CS workers deal with a lot of crap, but one modern online peeve of mine are "support volunteers" who hang out at company support forums and universally never have any helpful input.

Like you ask a question and you get some idiot who has a "OmniCorp enthusiast" tag on their profile and they paste some totally irrelevant copypasta while using vague corporate language.

Even better is when they give you the textbook correct answer, that you already tried, it didn’t work, and that’s why you are asking for help in the first place.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

My stupid phone keeps nuking my scheduled silent mode/do not disturb times! :argh: It has done it 3 times, with no warning, in the last couple months and I hate it. What's the good of having a smart phone if I can't automate poo poo! I just don't want it going off with my nerdy SMS tone while I'm working/sleeping. Is this so difficult?!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

My stupid phone keeps nuking my scheduled silent mode/do not disturb times! :argh: It has done it 3 times, with no warning, in the last couple months and I hate it. What's the good of having a smart phone if I can't automate poo poo! I just don't want it going off with my nerdy SMS tone while I'm working/sleeping. Is this so difficult?!

It's the boss of you and you will just have to adapt to its schedule.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

lobsterminator posted:

Why would anyone LARP as CS? I get that some people enjoy helping but these people always talk in that CS manner and only answer in preset form. You are acting like a fool with zero benefit for anyone.
Some people truly are NPCs in this reality.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

"I don't hear you so you must not be busy".
Hahaha what the gently caress

---

I don't know where else to complain about this, so the peeve thread it is!
Whenever my sister dates a guy, she falls in love hard. It's just the way she is, and other than multiple heartbreaks in the past, it's never really been a problem. Heck, I even liked a few of them!
She has a five year old daughter from one of her past boyfriends, and she is such a great mother. The kid doesn't know her father, so it's been up to my dad (her grandpa) and me to be the male role models in her life.
Well, my sister is now going out with a cop. It's been around a month, and once again, she is smitten.
I haven't met him yet, but I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he isn't one of the bastards, etc.
On the Easter weekend, however, my sister told me a bit about him. Like how he doesn't agree with BLM, and how he has forced confessions out of people.
She knows this is wrong, but like I said, she tends to go all-in on whoever she's with.
Normally this wouldn't be a problem, she'll come to her senses eventually and dump his fascist rear end, but I know that he's met and played with my niece.
I worry about what he's said to (and potentially taught) her. Five-year old children are information sponges.
I've already expressed my concern to my sister, but she refuses to listen. As with some of her previous relationships, she'll realize I was right, and that gives me some comfort. But this time, there is a child involved.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
This sounds like a top r/relationships thread waiting to happen!

But yeah he sounds like a piece of poo poo op

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Lately people on my Facebook thing have been sharing videos that have text that says "POV: something something something"

None of them have anything to do with a point of view.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People on Facebook also complain about young millenials doing stupid dances on tiktok when millenials now are pushing 40 years old and have back pain.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The people on Facebook are all 80 years old and they don’t know that there’s another generation after millennials

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
As a zoomer and/or millenial depending on who or where you ask, I’m starting to think my real peeve is arbitrary age brackets instead of “1985 is more similar to 1991 than 1984”

What generation am I if I’m married with newborns, don’t remember landlines and first phone was smart, but do remember n64 games from blockbuster, but think nirvana is dad rock, because I think they suck, but do not have tiktok, but do use Snapchat 24/7, but am constantly on my wife’s tiktok, to perform snippets of our music that sometimes might have dancing, and also oh god my brain is exploding

*Exception boomers gently caress em all

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 06:39 on Apr 27, 2023

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

The people on Facebook are all 80 years old and they don’t know that there’s another generation after millennials

Everyone on the internet is 12 and has no idea that everyone old enough to drive isn't a boomer

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As a zoomer and/or millenial depending on who or where you ask, I’m starting to think my real peeve is arbitrary age brackets instead of “1985 is more similar to 1991 than 1984”

What generation am I if I’m married with newborns, don’t remember landlines and first phone was smart, but do remember n64 games from blockbuster, but think nirvana is dad rock, because I think they suck, but do not have tiktok, but do use Snapchat 24/7, but am constantly on my wife’s tiktok, to perform snippets of our music that sometimes might have dancing, and also oh god my brain is exploding

*Exception boomers gently caress em all

You sound like the Greatest Generation. Thank you for saving the world from fascism and communism.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Computer scheduling. Minmax that poo poo. Zero shift overlap, have one person go home the instant another arrives, there is no need for humans to have any time to switch between tasks or transfer any information and people can simply teleport from the timeclock to the cash registers with zero time needed for prep. Make sure to only schedule the minimum number of people technically needed to run the store. Assume there will be no problems and that customers will not want or expect any assistance whatsoever because that would mean paying for a person to work to help them and it saves our shareholders money if instead we only have exactly two people in the building total at any given time. If this leads to customer dissatisfaction or increased theft or increased turnover or repeated instances of those two people working late to finish all necessary tasks due to circumstances, fire people and keep going with untrained new hires and repeat. All value to the shareholders!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

InediblePenguin posted:

Computer scheduling. Minmax that poo poo. Zero shift overlap, have one person go home the instant another arrives, there is no need for humans to have any time to switch between tasks or transfer any information and people can simply teleport from the timeclock to the cash registers with zero time needed for prep. Make sure to only schedule the minimum number of people technically needed to run the store. Assume there will be no problems and that customers will not want or expect any assistance whatsoever because that would mean paying for a person to work to help them and it saves our shareholders money if instead we only have exactly two people in the building total at any given time. If this leads to customer dissatisfaction or increased theft or increased turnover or repeated instances of those two people working late to finish all necessary tasks due to circumstances, fire people and keep going with untrained new hires and repeat. All value to the shareholders!

All valid points and I thank you for bringing them to my attention as we take all employee concerns seriously but first I’d like to talk to you about this 16 and a half minute break when company policy expressly says 15 minutes in the employee handbook.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

They're multiplying!

Those front wheels are in the street. I have no idea what they're trying to accomplish. I'm pretty sure that vehicle won't be there for long, at least.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
lol that the trucks are always spotless, even the wheels. Why even have a truck like that if you're just driving around in the suburbs? (I know it's because Ford or whoever told them it would make them more masculine, and then peer pressure because "the guy down the street got one and I'm better than that rear end in a top hat")

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

beats for junkies posted:

lol that the trucks are always spotless, even the wheels. Why even have a truck like that if you're just driving around in the suburbs? (I know it's because Ford or whoever told them it would make them more masculine, and then peer pressure because "the guy down the street got one and I'm better than that rear end in a top hat")

My former coworkers used to make fun of me for driving a little Mazda 3. I bought her for 600 bucks, and I hauled exactly as much as those guys did with their gigantic trucks, i.e. nothing.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

beats for junkies posted:

This is metro Detroit. You have no idea.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Remember when there was a whole thing about "spreading" on subways and planes?

This is that, but deliberate, for suburbs. It's territory marking.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I hate the automated greeting messages on Discord (eg. "Glad you're here, UserName." or "UserName just slid into the server.") but I hate the little animated "Wave to say Hi!" characters it encourages people to post even more. Server admins can turn them off if they want to, and I wish they would but they almost never do.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I hate the automated greeting messages on Discord (eg. "Glad you're here, UserName." or "UserName just slid into the server.") but I hate the little animated "Wave to say Hi!" characters it encourages people to post even more. Server admins can turn them off if they want to, and I wish they would but they almost never do.

This extends to general cutesy error messages.

"OOPSIE!!! You broke the interwebs lol!" when a link in your healthcare provider's site doesn't work.

Everything doesn't have to be clever and funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

I'll never understand how people just don't. loving. listen.

For the fourth time in less than 3 months, our mail room people keep playing hot potato with toners among 3 different HP MFPs. All are the same model & we set them up to alert HP when toner is low so they auto-ship a replacement.

Problem is, with all the toner swapping & idiots getting paranoid about the low toner warnings, it's royally hosed up the reporting/monitoring so HP hasn't been sending toners as often. We've explained it to them multiple times & it just doesn't sink into their thick skulls, so now we get to hear them whine & try to blame us or HP for delays. I finally had enough this morning with one of the culprits/problem people & told him straight up "well, if you weren't playing amateur printer technician, we'd have had this fixed in 5 minutes. Nothing I can do about it, all you did was make things more difficult with your paranoia." Honestly wish I had a comically large chain & padlock to wrap around these things to prevent idiots from messing with them. Worst part is there's ANOTHER printer in that room that's powered off with the fuser unit pulled out & no toner, now they're bitching about that one needing a service call but can't/won't tell me why they even took the drat thing apart. I wish that level of ignorance & carelessness was a terminable offense.