Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Hand Knit posted:

There’s two kinds of rules in the nhl, fair play rules and safety rules. I’ve always thought of high sticking as a safety rule, so it makes sense that intent doesn’t matter.

Puck-over-glass (Delay of Game) represents a third category: Don't Waste Time rules, which to be fair every sport needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Was Darnell Nurse ever good?

Trying to figure out how he’s got that kind of contract but contributes on the level of a Luca Sbisa

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Escape Goat posted:

Trying to figure out how he’s got that kind of contract but contributes on the level of a Luca Sbisa

He got that contract because he is Connor McDavid's best friend.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Eric the Mauve posted:

Puck-over-glass (Delay of Game) represents a third category: Don't Waste Time rules, which to be fair every sport needs.

I think of it as a fair play rule because it's supposed to capture players creating play stoppages against the way the game is supposed to work.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah “delay of game” is the name but isn’t actually why puck over glass is punished, it was something defenders used to do to effectively ice the puck but be allowed to change when they were getting hemmed

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Eric the Mauve posted:

what is icing then

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

what is icing then

You put it on cake, or if you’re feeling fancy, the nipples of consenting partners

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

eXXon posted:

Does 2-3 wins in a row qualify as a nice run? Asking for a friend.

about to earn some serious respect

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
there's also the kind of rule that screws the Oilers which is by definition a good and just and fair rule

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mennoknight posted:

there's also the kind of rule that screws the Oilers which is by definition a good and just and fair rule

I still haven't seen an angle which shows the puck hitting the stick, just that it was in front of the stick while it was in the air. Which must not exist or the NHL would have seen it in the 6 minutes it took them staring at screens to not find.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
https://old.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/12uwkv4/zoomed_focused_slowed_video_of_the_puck_rotation/

You can see the puck tap the stick and push it up a little. The puck's rotation also changes.

It was the most gentle of taps. It reminds me of this joke from the Simpsons movie.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 22, 2023

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1649807449195438080?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

Will Keefe finally calm down and trust that he has the better team, or will he get sucked into lineup tinkering and hard matchups that ruin the flow and consistency of his lines like he always does? Find out tonight!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mr. Kite posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/12uwkv4/zoomed_focused_slowed_video_of_the_puck_rotation/

You can see the puck tap the stick and push it up a little. The puck's rotation also changes.

It was the most gentle of taps. It reminds me of this joke from the Simpsons movie.

Ya it seemed pretty clear it touched last night but also pretty clear that they were not going to change the call because it was like 95% clear it touched not 100%.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

https://twitter.com/br_openice/status/1649589434566987776?s=46&t=lHimM6yryXEjSbBJQkXOHg

Nothing quite like the NHL playoffs

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah “delay of game” is the name but isn’t actually why puck over glass is punished, it was something defenders used to do to effectively ice the puck but be allowed to change when they were getting hemmed

wasnt the no change on icing and the delay of game penalty both added in 06?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Devils stuff:

-- All signs point to Schmid starting tonight
-- Siegenthaler back in, yay
-- Smith still in, Bahl out, noooo
-- Wood rotating on the 4th line with multiple other options, hopefully meaning he ain't in tonight
-- McLeod bumped to 3rd line with Meier and Mercer. I'm fine with that, he wins a ton of face-offs and that line with possession could do damage
-- I would imagine the 4th will be Bastian, Boqvist, and one of Lazar or Sharangovich

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Escape Goat posted:

Not really, no

Escape Goat posted:

Nurse has a really good agent and is friends with McDavid

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya it seemed pretty clear it touched last night but also pretty clear that they were not going to change the call because it was like 95% clear it touched not 100%.

It took someone blowing it up from an exact angle and then slowing it down to see it. All the angles they showed on the TNT broadcast didn't show anything conclusive. Zooming like that is not something they do in the review process though? I don't honestly know. It does look like it touched the high stick and a Kings player was the next one to have possession and control. I think the worst part is it didn't seem to change the direction of the puck making it even harder to see without the video manipulation.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

jsoh posted:

That sounds familiar, but even if we bracket the "allowed to change" bit it was still thought to be a thing that defenceman were putting the puck out of play intentionally (with plausible deniability) when they couldn't otherwise get the puck out.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

fawning deference posted:

Devils stuff:

-- All signs point to Schmid starting tonight
-- Siegenthaler back in, yay
-- Smith still in, Bahl out, noooo
-- Wood rotating on the 4th line with multiple other options, hopefully meaning he ain't in tonight
-- McLeod bumped to 3rd line with Meier and Mercer. I'm fine with that, he wins a ton of face-offs and that line with possession could do damage
-- I would imagine the 4th will be Bastian, Boqvist, and one of Lazar or Sharangovich

I’m sure all 4 lines rolled really well during the regular season but why the hell is Timo Meier on the 3rd line

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Jhet posted:

It took someone blowing it up from an exact angle and then slowing it down to see it. All the angles they showed on the TNT broadcast didn't show anything conclusive. Zooming like that is not something they do in the review process though? I don't honestly know. It does look like it touched the high stick and a Kings player was the next one to have possession and control. I think the worst part is it didn't seem to change the direction of the puck making it even harder to see without the video manipulation.

I said it in the GDT, but the refs are making decisions based on video they see on tablets at the timekeeper's bench. They can see slowed camera angles, but zooming in and/or getting single frame grabs isn't happening.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

grack posted:

I said it in the GDT, but the refs are making decisions based on video they see on tablets at the timekeeper's bench. They can see slowed camera angles, but zooming in and/or getting single frame grabs isn't happening.

Yeah, someone in the situation room would have to do all the manipulation for them. I just thought they got slow motion replays a little but everything is mostly at full speed.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The Dirty Burger posted:

I’m sure all 4 lines rolled really well during the regular season but why the hell is Timo Meier on the 3rd line

Actually it looks like the 4th is gonna be Wood-Lazar-Bastian. Why is Wood still in.

Meier on the third line is fine, they're just trying to spread the offense around and get a good matchip. With Nico/Bratt on one line, Jack on another, and Meier/Mercer on another, you're trying to catch weak competition for one of them.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Shooting the puck into the stands creates a danger for the spectators, icing it does not. Hence why one is a penalty and the other only a stoppage.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

jsoh posted:

Yeah I got mixed up, like Hand Knit said it wasn’t about the change but about relieving pressure and stopping play when hemmed, similar but different. Also has the benefit of discouraging players from sending pucks into the stands for obvious safety reasons.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Simplex posted:

Shooting the puck into the stands creates a danger for the spectators, icing it does not. Hence why one is a penalty and the other only a stoppage.

That's absolutely not why they changed the rule, it was put in place to promote offense (there's a reason it's only a penalty in the defensive zone). NHL teams putting up netting after Derek Morris deflected a Espen Knutsen shot that killed a girl was the safety thing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Simplex posted:

That argument would have made more sense when there was no netting above the glass.

Also by that logic shooting the puck over the glass in the neutral zone and missing the netting should be penalized more heavily.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

And once you cross the red line it's just dumping the puck and not icing. There's very little reason for players to intentionally put the puck out of play when they aren't in the defensive zone, so there's basically no reason to legislate it out of existence.

Them putting the netting in the first place was a huge compromise. They had to do something after that incident, but there was a lot of push back about restricted views.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Somewhat surprising, the Wild have parted company with Tim Army from the Iowa Wild.

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1649869759264051200

It'll be interesting to see what route Billy goes, there should be considerable interest in working with this prospect pool.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I can't believe I'm now so old that I'm posting with people who don't remember when defensemen would "accidentally" shoot the puck over the glass 30 times a game and it definitely was not to give themselves a bit of a breather no siree

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

I can't believe I'm now so old that I'm posting with people who don't remember when defensemen would "accidentally" shoot the puck over the glass 30 times a game and it definitely was not to give themselves a bit of a breather no siree

Probably 80% of NHL players are younger than you. You are now ancient.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

Somewhat surprising, the Wild have parted company with Tim Army from the Iowa Wild.

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1649869759264051200

It'll be interesting to see what route Billy goes, there should be considerable interest in working with this prospect pool.

That’s a little surprising, but only a little. Development is a little stagnant this year I think and with the talent in Iowa right now they really need to get it right. Could have quite a few guys making a move up in the next two years and from the little I got to watch of Iowa this year they just weren’t consistently playing well.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

:negative:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

It's ok you'll get your shot. Lou Lam is still employed.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Now that Craig Anderson has retired it's 100% for me. Don't like it!!!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

fawning deference posted:

Yup. I know we are emotionally invested but it's odd to see such finality in the doom and gloom of SAS considering we all have experienced many playoff seasons. The fact remains that it's not a particularly uncommon thing for teams to go down in a series and then roar back. You win the netx game, flip the momentum, and go on a nice run.

This "the Oilers are garbage, it worked in the regular season but won't work in the playoffs" stuff because they're down 2-1 in a series against a solid and competitive team is insane. The Oilers are as capable as any team in the playoffs of waking up and going on a ridiculous run at any time.

Even the Devils. It's been embarrassing so far, but if they can find a way to win Game 3 and turn the momentum, it's still possible for them to tie it up and then take the series. For the record, I expected the Rangers to win from the start and don't think NJ is going to win the series, but crazier things have happened. Just ask the 2022 Pittsburgh Penguins.

Unfortunately the Rangers aren't running a third string goalie. Timo should run Igor a few times and get the backup in there.

But yeah comebacks are quite possible. Devils looked like poo poo in game 2 though. Need to get to their game. I thought they played alright in game 1 and just couldn't score, but in game 2 they had some real bad habits.

As for the Oilers, they're carrying the play but they're not putting LA away in these games. Letting them hang around a bit. They need to turn their superior 5v5 play into bigger leads

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

well that sucks but this is still the best playoff series the jets have had in years (aside from the unadulterated joy of sweeping the Oilers)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

There are 103 active players left who were born in the 80s.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/wpgmurat/status/1649930655646781441?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Oof that pretty much puts the nail in the coffin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Felt bad for that double OT loss by the Jets, was a flukey bad clear and half a second later it’s over.