Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

Doorjams, yes, engine bay, nah. BRG would the new color.

BRG is probably going to want/need black primer. So a black car would seem to be the easiest answer to make priming simple, possibly single coat, with the added benefit that unpainted sections won't clash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Motronic posted:

Gentle reminder that if you have to explain a joke it's not funny.

Shhhhh, I know.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

wesleywillis posted:

Pimp and hoe.

Pimp Mode and Limp Mode

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Pimp Mode and Limp Mode

On the right track here I think.

Pimp limp - biggie and a small ford

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I cant find a chat thread, so this seems as good a thread as any. Some time in the next few months I will be taking receipt of my late grandfathers 1977 Lincoln Continental Mark V. I also have a 2019 Ford Fiesta ST. I was gonna make a thread documenting updates/upgrades/maintenance etc for these two cars.

All well and good, but what to name such a thread? Basically Ive only come up with one: Love on the Spectrum - A Tale of Two Fords
To explain the joke, we have the largest two door car Ford ever made, and the other one of the smallest four door cars. One a personal luxury coupe, the other a sporty utilitarian hatchback. One with a 460 (7.6L) carbureted V8 that runs lean to get 10 mpg downhill, the other with a turbo 1.6L that gets 42 mpg with the cruise control on. Etc etc etc

Anybody have any better dumb thread titles?

How Do I Hold All These Fords?!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the river was too deep to Ford

edit: i attempted to Ford and my oxen drowned

Pahonix
May 29, 2004

Hooked on pahonix workid for meh!
I have a 2004 Lexus RX330 and have never done any maintenance on the shocks/struts and it has gotten to the point where you can tell. The last time I went somewhere to have my oil changed, they even brought it up to me, "Hey, you know you basically have no suspension?" I mean, it's not horrible, but like when I go out of my parking area at home, I can definitely feel the wheels... what's the term... not being suspended(?) lol?

Anyway, so since I was there and they already had the car up on the lift, I asked them for an estimate to fix what needed to be fixed and they quoted me roughly $2300 to do shocks and struts. I said thanks, but no thanks.

Since then (that was around Christmas), it seems like it has gotten a little worse in the sense that now, particularly in the mornings when I first get in the car, there is a knocking/rattling coming from the wheel/axle area. This also happens or is exacerbated if I hit a pothole or go over a speed bump, etc. So I definitely feel like I need to get this taken care of now.

I'm not very mechanically inclined and can't physically do any of this work myself. What would be the best strategy to finding some place to do this kind of service economically, yet reliably? Is this something I can call around and just ask what they will do it for? Will they need to look at the car first?

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Problem: starter continues to crank after attempting to start, even when the key is released or removed. Pulling the negative battery terminal is the only way we've got it to stop. Reconnecting the negative does not immediately restart the starter, but turning the key results in the starter stuck on again. Probing voltage, I cannot find anywhere the starting circuit is stuck on.

Starter solenoid?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

WTFBEES posted:

Problem: starter continues to crank after attempting to start, even when the key is released or removed. Pulling the negative battery terminal is the only way we've got it to stop. Reconnecting the negative does not immediately restart the starter, but turning the key results in the starter stuck on again. Probing voltage, I cannot find anywhere the starting circuit is stuck on.

Starter solenoid?

That sounds more like wiring. Can you test the control side of the circuit right at the solenoid for the presence of 12v on key turned to crank and then see if it's still there when the key is turned back to run?

Lots of potential issues here, largely dependent on what this is in. Plenty of things have another relay on the PCM output that could be hanging, wires to it chaffed and causing this, etc. Id' want to poke around before firing a starter into it.

In fact if it's easy enough you can just jump 12v to the control side of the solenoid with the key in the run position and see if it hangs. Anything to get a bit more information on what's actually happening.

Pahonix posted:

I have a 2004 Lexus RX330 and have never done any maintenance on the shocks/struts and it has gotten to the point where you can tell. The last time I went somewhere to have my oil changed, they even brought it up to me, "Hey, you know you basically have no suspension?" I mean, it's not horrible, but like when I go out of my parking area at home, I can definitely feel the wheels... what's the term... not being suspended(?) lol?

Anyway, so since I was there and they already had the car up on the lift, I asked them for an estimate to fix what needed to be fixed and they quoted me roughly $2300 to do shocks and struts. I said thanks, but no thanks.

Since then (that was around Christmas), it seems like it has gotten a little worse in the sense that now, particularly in the mornings when I first get in the car, there is a knocking/rattling coming from the wheel/axle area. This also happens or is exacerbated if I hit a pothole or go over a speed bump, etc. So I definitely feel like I need to get this taken care of now.

I'm not very mechanically inclined and can't physically do any of this work myself. What would be the best strategy to finding some place to do this kind of service economically, yet reliably? Is this something I can call around and just ask what they will do it for? Will they need to look at the car first?

Sounds like you already have a solution and a quote. Sounds like a reasonable one too. You could take it somewhere else for a quote as well.

But the answer based on your post is "pay someone money to fix your car". If you live in a state with inspection you're not going to pass.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Motronic posted:

That sounds more like wiring. Can you test the control side of the circuit right at the solenoid for the presence of 12v on key turned to crank and then see if it's still there when the key is turned back to run?

Lots of potential issues here, largely dependent on what this is in. Plenty of things have another relay on the PCM output that could be hanging, wires to it chaffed and causing this, etc. Id' want to poke around before firing a starter into it.

In fact if it's easy enough you can just jump 12v to the control side of the solenoid with the key in the run position and see if it hangs. Anything to get a bit more information on what's actually happening.

Jumping from the big terminal on the solenoid (connected direct to battery positive) to the real little post (control I believe but am also don't know the right words here) results in the same "stuck" behavior described earlier, even after pulling the screwdrivers off.

No PCM or computers to worry about here. The vehicle in question is a mechanically original 1974 International Scout.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Trick people into clicking on your thread by titling it "pictures of my genitals itt"

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

bird with big dick posted:

Trick people into clicking on your thread by titling it "pictures of my genitals itt"

Interesting theory, Bird with Big Dick

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

WTFBEES posted:

Jumping from the big terminal on the solenoid (connected direct to battery positive) to the real little post (control I believe but am also don't know the right words here) results in the same "stuck" behavior described earlier, even after pulling the screwdrivers off.

No PCM or computers to worry about here. The vehicle in question is a mechanically original 1974 International Scout.

Yep, that's the test I was talking about. And that's a good confirmation and plenty enough for the simple electrical system you're dealing with,

Good job, that's a complete diagnosis. It's more that most people do. Replace that solenoid - or the whole starter. (I forget if those have a sperate solenoid like the Fords of the time did.)

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Motronic posted:

Yep, that's the test I was talking about. And that's a good confirmation and plenty enough for the simple electrical system you're dealing with,

Good job, that's a complete diagnosis. It's more that most people do. Replace that solenoid - or the whole starter. (I forget if those have a sperate solenoid like the Fords of the time did.)

It's a GM style piggyback solenoid. If I recall correctly, I think the part number is shared with Buick or Olds starter.

Thanks for the help and the kind words!

Pahonix
May 29, 2004

Motronic posted:

Sounds like you already have a solution and a quote. Sounds like a reasonable one too. You could take it somewhere else for a quote as well.

But the answer based on your post is "pay someone money to fix your car". If you live in a state with inspection you're not going to pass.
A reality check on the quote is appreciated. If that's reasonable, I don't really have a problem having these folks do it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pahonix posted:

A reality check on the quote is appreciated. If that's reasonable, I don't really have a problem having these folks do it.

I don't know where you live, I don't know what quality of parts they are providing. But it's within a reasonable range for replacing what I assume are a couple of struts and a couple of shocks and then an alignment.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WTFBEES posted:

It's a GM style piggyback solenoid. If I recall correctly, I think the part number is shared with Buick or Olds starter.

Thanks for the help and the kind words!

Personally I've had iffy luck with trying to replace just the solenoid on starters; a whole replacement starter isn't much more (at least on Rockauto).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Personally I've had iffy luck with trying to replace just the solenoid on starters; a whole replacement starter isn't much more (at least on Rockauto).

Yeah same. The kind mounted on the inner fender? Sure. But in this case I'd replace the whole starter.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Same.

Always break em down and look at the commutator. If its arc-welded to poo poo and the mica height is all hosed up that starter isn't long for this world.
Bushings/bearings/brushes fail too of course but the business end of whether this fucker is worth wasting any time on at all is right there at the commutator. Commutators if they're not too trashed can be polished with emery cloth. I've gotten years out of an otherwise junk starter this way.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pahonix posted:

Honestly... that's not a terrible price - not fantastic, not horrible, pretty solidly in the middle where I'm at. Suspension work is expensive (there's a lot of labor involved, and the parts aren't cheap), an alignment is needed after (that's generally $80-120 by itself), and given the age of the vehicle, it's not exactly surprising that it needs shocks/struts. I have an 08 Lexus ES 350 with ~185k, and the shocks are essentially decoration at this point (I hit the bump stops frequently on the rear).

If you want to get all of the financial pain out of the way at once, have them check the bushings on the front lower control arms and sway bar links - they're likely shot. It's cheaper overall to replace the complete lower control arms instead of just bushings in them (parts wise, it's far cheaper to do just the bushings, but you're looking at probably 5x the labor vs just replacing the entire control arm - labor is generally $100+ an hour at any shop these days, you probably don't want to pay someone for 5 hours of labor to remove everything and press $50-100 of bushings in vs 2 hours to just swap the complete $150/ea assemblies), sway bar end links have to be unbolted to get to the control arms anyway. And I guarantee those bushings are beyond done. The control arms will at least be partially unbolted for the front struts anyway, so if they're an honest shop, they should knock a bit off of labor for doing it all at once. No matter how it's done, you're looking at an alignment after, so if that price includes the alignment, it's not bad.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 23, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Low effort question, but my 2006 Cayenne Turbo has this air line running from the air box to the air compressor, and I'm supposed to disconnect it so I can change the air filter. I can't figure out how to disconnect it. Feels like I'm putting way too much force on plastic. The green bit is loose and rotates freely. Any ideas?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know we've got some mechanics here, does anyone have access to a FSM to know how far it's supposed to be from the center of the wheel to the wheel arches on a 2012 Accord Coupe? I suspect the previous owner put lovely lowering springs on it because I scrape on some speed bumps and have problems with liftoff oversteer and some excessive bouncing. I had thought it needed shocks/struts but the mechanic says those are fine. So I figure if I can measure the distance from center of wheel to wheel arch if it doesn't match up with the FSM spec I know that it is lowered and all I probably need is stock springs to fix it. I live in the mountains and it makes the curves on I-70 pretty scary, especially when going downhill and turning at the same time. I have to brake ahead of time so I'm not going too fast to safely turn while gravity is causing me to accelerate.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've never seen measurements like that in any FSM. They're focused on diagnosis / removal / replacement, not measurements.

Your local library might also give you free access to Chilton Library - which, despite the name, ends up being FSMs more often than not.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ah okay, my SVX Factory Service Manual actually has that. That's how I set the ride height back to stock when I put my coilovers on my SVX, it was old enough that all the corners had sagged 1.5-2". That entire car was an exercise in putting more work into something than it's worth financially though, so it makes sense the manual is the same way. I'll see if the library has that, they've got a "library of things" with a basic selection of tools, which is cool, so maybe they have that too.

How do you tell if someone has lowered the car, then? The springs aren't bright yellow King Springs or anything. I just don't want to spend the money on a new set of springs and then find out that it isn't lowered after all.

E: It's also possible that the weird suspension behavior isn't even the springs and is just what happens when you turn a family sedan into a coupe, but the symptoms seem to match up with putting lovely springs on and not bothering to match the damping of the shocks to the new springs.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 23, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If it's a 2012 it's probably due for new springs regardless.

E: especially if it's scraping on some bumps.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 23, 2023

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Some googling should find :filez: out there. Internet Honda people are scary cheap sometimes. Usually forums you have to make an account on to download them.

If not, ebay pdf fsm. Should be about $10.

Body manual should have the info you need. They're all about straightening crash damage.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i would expect lowering springs to be stiffer than stock, so that doesn't add up

my experience is that stock springs feel really wallowy and soft, and lowering springs firm it up and improve the ride considerably over the stock garbage.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
How do manual hybrid cars (like the CR-Z if I'm not mistaken) work? Do they differ in normal driving from a regular manual car?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

DildenAnders posted:

How do manual hybrid cars (like the CR-Z if I'm not mistaken) work? Do they differ in normal driving from a regular manual car?

The CRZ sticks a relatively thin electric motor between the gasoline engine and trans.

You drive it exactly like a regular manual, the amount of assist it can give is within the limits of the trans and its a style of hybrid that needs the gasoline engine running to operate, there's no 100%EV mode that I'm aware of.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

DildenAnders posted:

AFAIK only Honda has really made manual hybrids and AFAIK they all work more or less the same way.

Aside from CRZ there are also manual Insights and Hybrid Civics out there in North America. One of the latter two will occasionally make it onto YouTube as somebodys project car.

Theres a lot of debate about if/when these will become collectors pieces. Extant examples are usually quite affordable, relatively speaking, but also really rare, and usually extremely high-mile and well-used/busted in some way.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Theyre also not particularly efficient. Like the small two door 122 hp CRZ avg mpg on Fuelly is 36-38 while the more modern hybrid system in the 200+ HP accord is 38-42.

If I had the space Id absolutely try and pick up a manual to have just for fun though, youre never gonna see anything like it again.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Or you could buy a CRZ and convert it to a CRX with a K series swap

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Raluek posted:

i would expect lowering springs to be stiffer than stock, so that doesn't add up

my experience is that stock springs feel really wallowy and soft, and lowering springs firm it up and improve the ride considerably over the stock garbage.

It's entirely possible I'm wrong, but the accepted answer on this page explains my thoughts better than I can.

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/45424/can-lowering-springs-make-the-car-handle-worse

Particularly:
"Given all that, you have sped up the weight transfer that will happen when entering a corner." That would explain the loss of rear-end stability when going off throttle or hitting the brakes at highway speed, it's a more sudden weight shift off the rear tires. This is the half I'm more iffy on though, I have the nagging feeling I'm missing something.
"When you change the spring rate, you should also change the dampers (they need to have higher damping rates to cope with the higher spring rates or you'll be boinging down the road)." I think this is what's going on when I hit bigger bumps, it's bouncy rather than a smooth up and down like I would expect. That's why I assumed it needed new shocks when I first bought it, I think of that as being a blown shock symptom.

This was originally a Florida car, so assume that Florida Man did all of the modifications. Florida Man certainly did the replacement passenger side window that wasn't reported to insurance, when he put the window tabs on backwards and attached them with silicone sealant rather than epoxy.

I do want to make sure that's actually what's going on though, rather than throw the parts cannon at it. If this is what it rides like stock then I need to change it from stock rather than trying to return to stock.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 24, 2023

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I see a lot of cars on smooth highway with one rear wheel bouncing erratically like a dogs hind leg scratching an itch.

Is that just shocks being totally toasted? Is it not loud and super obvious to the drivers? Seems like it would beat everything and everyone up.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 24, 2023

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

I see a lot of cars on smooth highway highway with one rear wheel bouncing erratically like a dogs hind leg scratching an itch.

Is that just shocks being totally toasted? Is it not loud and super obvious to the drivers? Seems like it would beat everything and everyone up.

I guess it could be several things, but bouncing tires is almost always a sign of blown shocks.

The standard test is to push down on a corner of the car, about six inches and release. The car should rise back up an inch or so above normal, then settle down immediately. If it bounces at all, you need shocks.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Safety Dance posted:

Low effort question, but my 2006 Cayenne Turbo has this air line running from the air box to the air compressor, and I'm supposed to disconnect it so I can change the air filter. I can't figure out how to disconnect it. Feels like I'm putting way too much force on plastic. The green bit is loose and rotates freely. Any ideas?

I decided to drop $5 on an alldata subscription and the green part is just a dust cover. There's a little ring in there that I slide to the right to undo that fitting.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

I decided to drop $5 on an alldata subscription and the green part is just a dust cover. There's a little ring in there that I slide to the right to undo that fitting.

Thanks for reporting that back! Most people wouldn't bother.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

eddiewalker posted:

I see a lot of cars on smooth highway with one rear wheel bouncing erratically like a dogs hind leg scratching an itch.

Extremely blown shock coupled with a slightly unbalanced tire.

You don't feel it inside the car as much as you'd think, but it makes a hell of wear pattern on the tire.

Pahonix
May 29, 2004

Motronic posted:

I don't know where you live, I don't know what quality of parts they are providing. But it's within a reasonable range for replacing what I assume are a couple of struts and a couple of shocks and then an alignment.
Here's what I'm quoted:

87Z-LS54-94201R Front Right Suspension $354.33
87Z-LS54-94191L Front Left Suspension $379.99
87Z-LS54-94272R Rear Right Suspension $336.35
87Z-LS54-94272L Rear Left Suspension $336.35
Wheel Alignment $99.99
Shock & Strut Assembly 2.6 @ $126.99 = $330.17
Shock & Strut Assembly 2.2 @ $126.99 = $279.38
and then shop fees and some taxes... but that's the meat of it. Also, I'm in north Florida, if that matters.

I'm kind of glad I went through typing this out -- while googling these part numbers, I found that they likely made a typo on my quote. That second part for front left doesn't fit my car. That's likely supposed to be LS54-94201L.

My '04 has ~122k miles, so I think I'm doing pretty good. I don't really go anywhere. I do appreciate the advice about checking the bushings - I'll definitely have them do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'd find a shop using something better than Autozone parts.

IIRC my mom had shocks/struts/springs replaced all the way around on her Avalon for (adjusted for inflation) roughly the same, using OEM parts.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 25, 2023