Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Even a decade later the absolutely incomprehensible players are still the best part of this game :allears: Here is the entire chat from an AE group I joined for one mission:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
lol that guy has been running that same gimmick for years

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I wish I ran into more freaks and weirdos. I always seem to bump into dickheads instead. (Insert "if everyone you meet is an rear end in a top hat" joke here.)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

lol that guy has been running that same gimmick for years

I kept reading everything he said in the chip-modulated voice of an announcer from a mid-90s arcade game.

"DID A MOSQUITO SAY GOODBYE??"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

I kept reading everything he said in the chip-modulated voice of an announcer from a mid-90s arcade game.

"DID A MOSQUITO SAY GOODBYE??"

i'm thinking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81PpPQklazs

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Regarding dragon ball z cosplay, go for other misspelled vegetables or instruments. my brother has a Namek named Oboe, I got a Saiyen named Tato. I use the nuke costume change to go super saiyen.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I ended up as a Dual Pistols/Devices blaster instead:

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Oh hey, that emotional support chicken you teamed with last night? That was me.
I have at least 3 blatant Muppet characters and a Supergroup that I'm shocked haven't been generic'd by now.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Fantastic name for them :unsmith:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Oh hey, that emotional support chicken you teamed with last night? That was me.
I have at least 3 blatant Muppet characters and a Supergroup that I'm shocked haven't been generic'd by now.

I suspected that group might include some goons, you were all having too much fun to be pubbies :kiddo:

Mesadoram posted:

Fantastic name for them :unsmith:

:tipshat: It was either that or Cappin America but I was originally planning to make a bow blaster so Glockeye seemed more appropriate.

e: I made Cappin America a Radiation/AR Defender instead but that name actually feels too on the nose to play

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 22, 2023

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

I suspected that group might include some goons, you were all having too much fun to be pubbies :kiddo:

:tipshat: It was either that or Cappin America but I was originally planning to make a bow blaster so Glockeye seemed more appropriate.

e: I made Cappin America a Radiation/AR Defender instead but that name actually feels too on the nose to play

I got Lady Hawkguy for an archery/trick arrow character

coffeeperson
Aug 25, 2018
Oh maaaan I can't wait to resurrect my 2005 claws scrapper!

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Have the relative prices of stuff come down since the gutting of inf farming?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Anecdotally I remember converters going for 75k each and now I only see them cap out at 70k, so. Slightly, I guess.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Seems to vary a good deal but at a glance there's been a noticeable drop in prices.

There's still some silly big ticket items out there, but they align with fairly obvious supply bottlenecks. IE, one specific D-Sync is a nice fat jackpot if you get lucky.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 24, 2023

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Ah ok. I still had lots of sets I wanted and since they were always crazy expensive I turned to inf farming. Never made enough to buy everything and I don’t really play enough to build up inf the traditional way.

Hopefully prices are low enough that I can maybe buy some

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Uh, surprise, they released the new Storm Blast powerset and the other stuff today

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
ok so something I've been wondering about occasionally is why hasn't NCSoft gone full scale C&D carpet bombing on any of the publicly available for play CoH servers ? Homecoming is pulling in 4.5 - 5k $$$ in donations a month to run their setup and Rebirth, while smaller, is still spending 1.5k or so every 6 months. I can get it from a strictly $$$$ POV in that anyone they sue is not exactly going to have enough $ they can recover to even pay for 15 minutes of their law firms time. But knowing how some copyright stuff works in that you have to protect your IP or lose it and/or any potential ego related stuff by humans @ NCSoft makes me go :crossarms: .

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

probably because it gains them nothing but more ill will from potential and current customers if they do, it's not like they're ever going to make another product with this IP after the previous attempts flopped so hard. referring to the korean release of "city of hero" (big flop) and the moba thing they did later with the COX signature characters (big flop). to them the IP is a boat anchor, there's not really anything in it for them to shut this 20 year old homebrew bullshit down.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Probably the same reason they walked away from coh to begin with, they are a South Korean company where the superhero genre isn’t big, more so compared to their traditional ip.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

MREBoy posted:

ok so something I've been wondering about occasionally is why hasn't NCSoft gone full scale C&D carpet bombing on any of the publicly available for play CoH servers ? Homecoming is pulling in 4.5 - 5k $$$ in donations a month to run their setup and Rebirth, while smaller, is still spending 1.5k or so every 6 months. I can get it from a strictly $$$$ POV in that anyone they sue is not exactly going to have enough $ they can recover to even pay for 15 minutes of their law firms time. But knowing how some copyright stuff works in that you have to protect your IP or lose it and/or any potential ego related stuff by humans @ NCSoft makes me go :crossarms: .

Copyright gets complicated.

They can't sue for damages, because there are no damages: CoH is not currently active, and NCSoft is not losing any potential subscription revenue due to the existence of private servers - damages are only measured in "lost market value". Also, the damages have to happen explicitly at the time of infringement, so they could not claim that these servers are reducing the market value of e.g. a potential City of Heroes 2, at least until CoH2 is actually released. They could instead sue for statutory damages, but in order to sue for statutory damages you have to prove willful intent.

To sue for statutory damages, the copyright holder has the burden of proof to prove that the infringer willfully infringed their copyright - they have to prove (through e.g. admission in documented communication) that the owners of the server knew that they were infringing copyright. So "I'm sorry, I thought I was allowed to do that because the game is no longer available on the official servers" would be a valid defense unless NCSoft could definitively prove that the server admins knew otherwise. If the court ruled in favor of that defense, the statutory damages reward can be as low as a $250 fine. Even if they do prove willful infringement, since they would be suing for statutory damages instead of actual damages, the maximum they could sue for would be $150,000 - which would not be worth their costs in court.

Criminal penalties can only come into play in copyright cases when the suit is for actual damages, not statutory damages.

So the only benefit to them pursuing legal action currently would be shutting the server down - it would cost them more than they would win in the suit. And like Flesh Forge said, that would accomplish nothing except earning ill will from the community. And if they ever do release an actual CoH2, it's unlikely that CoH1 private servers would lead to any actual loss in market value, if anything they'd make people want to try CoH2.

(not a lawyer but I read about copyright law often)

e: It gets even more difficult for NCSoft because the server admins would be able to make a reasonable case that any donations they received could be attributed to factors other than original authorship; such as their continued development, or their continuation of the live service that the copyright holders abandoned.

So the tl;dr is it's futile to do if the original game can no longer be played unless you're actively using the IP for something else. This doesn't really apply to other industries like movies because the old movie is always available, even if it's not on streaming, so in those cases they will always be able to sue for actual damages.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 26, 2023

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Allegedly Homecoming has also been in talks with NC. There's a heavy emphasis on "allegedly" here, because the people at the Titan Network were also "allegedly" in talks with NC for upwards of 6 years with absolutely no evidence or proof besides someone occasionally checking in on the forums to go, "talks are going great! No update!"

I've seen errant speculation that the Titan Network ones were a smokescreen re:SCORE and the secret server, but I'm not sure if anyone knows for sure what the deal with the Titan people was.

The Homecoming ones were allegedly an attempt for the server to be legitimized, but the only evidence anything was ever actually happening was the streaming ban from a while ago-- but again, nothing was ever outright stated, people just sort of assumed it was part of negotiations. As for the odds of HC just embezzling money off the donations: yeah probably. I think people forget a lot of the early behavior that was done to keep people away from other servers, fearmongering about them accepting donations and running their own launchers (both things HC did on their own terms, even before they were established as a non-profit.) The project lead, Cypher, allegedly manages multiple emulated servers from other titles and the speed at which he entered the space and the degree of interference aimed at other servers seems more like a gold rush than something done from the goodness of his heart.

Ultimately nobody's going to be able to prove anything, the server's not going anywhere at this rate, and you absolutely don't have to give anyone money. So don't worry too much about it and just have fun with the game. :toot:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I didn't even catch that the HC team is a NPO - that essentially excludes them from ever being sued for actual damages in copyright infringement. If the infringer is a member of an NPO and they have reasonable grounds for believing that the work falls under Fair Use (even if it doesn't), it's automatically dropped to Statutory Damages.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

there was, at least, one very visible change to Homecoming that NCsoft required them to do. previously the private server had been referred to as 'City of Heroes: Homecoming', but NCsoft told them to change it to 'Homecoming: City of Heroes'. (was mentioned a while back here: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/21675-state-of-the-project-august-2020/ )

i don't know why they'd do this, but it's not the first time i've seen a company request something like that. Mega Man Maker, a fangame that's basically Mario Maker but for classic Mega Man levels, was originally just named Mega Maker. then Capcom got involved and told them that they had to change the name of their project to Mega Man Maker. it's not really clear why. but they've been allowed to continue development as usual ever since.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I like the concept of a Storm/Storm defender (using the weather to assist allies) but since Storm Summoning is largely offensive (e.g. debuffing defense/resist, enemy-targeted toggles) I feel like the combo would suffer on a Defender - is there any mechanical advantage to playing that combo as a Defender rather than a Corrupter that could better take advantage of the defense debuffs itself?

e: Though on second thought Electrical Affinity + Storm Blast is probably a less obnoxious combo for melee in the team (Storm has all those knockbacks) and has more incentive to play a Defender

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 28, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Defender Storm Summoning numbers are bonkers strong, but with the caveat that you have to be comfortable playing around its idiosyncrasies. Defense debuffs don't even come into the equation, it's stuff like the -Res in Freezing Rain and soft capping without any enhancements against anything you can keep Hurricane on. Admittedly I am also very much pro knockback, so I say to hell with whiny melees, but you can always invest in a few -KB IOs if you really feel the need to.

Elec Affinity is okay but I feel like the set suffers from half the powers being basically identical. Otoh, that also means it's way more low maintenance than Storm. To me it'd be a question of how much you're looking to mess around with the new blast set and how much of a damage role you're looking to take. Storm/Elec Corrupter is a lot more straightforward while letting you focus on dishing out half-decent damage, Storm/Storm Defender is crazy town but the blasts are never going to be the main focus when you've got a whole toolbox of fuckery to play with in the primary.

Edit: It's been a minute, but Corruptor Storm Summoning might still get the exact same version of Freezing Rain as Defenders, due to it being a psuedo-pet rather than a power directly affected by AT mods. Either way you could also play a more offense-minded Storm/Storm Corr build - just throwing out Freezing Rain plus the occasional Tornado and Lightning Cloud with Snow Storm to taste is usually good enough anyway, because Freezing Rain is just that good.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 28, 2023

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I like the concept of a Storm/Storm defender (using the weather to assist allies) but since Storm Summoning is largely offensive (e.g. debuffing defense/resist, enemy-targeted toggles) I feel like the combo would suffer on a Defender - is there any mechanical advantage to playing that combo as a Defender rather than a Corrupter that could better take advantage of the defense debuffs itself?

e: Though on second thought Electrical Affinity + Storm Blast is probably a less obnoxious combo for melee in the team (Storm has all those knockbacks) and has more incentive to play a Defender

If you wanted to run Elec Affinity, I'd recommend it on a Defender, though I don't particularly recommend pairing it with Storm Blast. SB is better suited to a Corruptor since Storm Cell has extra damage procs that come from using your attacks (ie, your primary role is damage) and they're also set up to use Scourge properly. It has a lite debuff-y flair to it, but not so much that the Defender's higher debuff values make a huge difference.

Elec Affinity is a very busy set too since you want to use the powers as often as possible to maintain Static, and just because they have very low recharge so you wind up hitting them often. Masterminds pair well here since their primaries are less busy and give them ample opportunity to spam away, but as a Defender it works out okay too seeing as your primary role is support. I'd also say it pairs well with Elec Blast since the two share synergy and you can build Static with your attacks, if you were interested in that route.

Storm Blast/Cold Domination Corruptor is probably the best option for a thematic buffer, though Cold offers excellent debuffs as well-- similar to Storm Summoning, the Corruptor version has the same -res/def numbers on Sleet (which is a copy of Freezing Rain.) If you wanted to go for heavier buffing, Nature Affinity is fairly on-theme, strong, and has great visuals to it.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
Cold Domination gets access to Benumb and Heat Loss which are both bugfuck powerful debuffs for any AV level threat. /Cold is just insanely powerful from top to bottom as a set besides its psychotically bad T1 power.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah electric affinity is a very fun and strong set but it really wants you to be mashing its buttons all the time.

DangerDan posted:

Cold Domination gets access to Benumb and Heat Loss which are both bugfuck powerful debuffs for any AV level threat. /Cold is just insanely powerful from top to bottom as a set besides its psychotically bad T1 power.

had you heard the good word, you can skip tier 1s in secondary sets now :thumbsup:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

The elitists don't want you to know this, but you can put 5 procs in Infrig and they'll have a 90% chance to fire. 300 damage and -20% res, baybee.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Potsticker posted:

-=( How to Speedrun a New Character )=-

This post was very helpful.

I started playing after the event so I didn't get to powerlevel in easily-accessible groups like that but here's the fastest method of solo leveling I've found, at least up to level 40 so far. It's not very exciting but this is very fast, and accessible to any at/powerset/level/build.

1) Set your group notoriety settings to:
Enemy Level +1
Solo AVs as Elite Bosses

2) Go to any AE building and search for "Meinst" (or "solo powerlevel")
There should only be one mission found:

This mission scales you down to level 3, then gives you access to an absurdly powerful buffbot NPC and a room with 16 level 4 Elite Bosses. When you first enter you'll see a big green flame - that's the buff NPC. Go to them first (avoiding pulling aggro as much as possible) and stand still for a few seconds while they buff you. Then start killing. You get +1 Elite Boss exp for every kill, and with just 3-4 attack powers to cycle through you kill them all very fast (the NPC gives you Speed Boost so with 3 attack skills there's virtually 0 downtime), and you're entirely safe because of the buffbot. If you're running a character that's aoe-heavy by level 6 (e.g. spines/fire brute) you can pull all 16 elite bosses at once.

The only thing I've found that gives experience faster than this, is full 8-person level 54 mission teams letting you tag along at a lower level. This is faster than any of the AE farms I've joined as a sitter - though it's possible I've only joined slow ones.
(Edit: Okay a fast fire farm is waaaaaay faster than this)

However it only works solo, as soon as you add other people in the exp split really slows you down (the buffbot only buffs one person)

e: Also, standard disclaimer that boringly farming an AE mission to 50 isn't necessary in CoH and all that.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 2, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man this owns and getting into the game and seeing the UI is like a flood of "oh god I remember all of this" that is currently washing over me. Thanks for the heads up about this Deep Dish.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So the tl;dr is it's futile to do if the original game can no longer be played unless you're actively using the IP for something else. This doesn't really apply to other industries like movies because the old movie is always available, even if it's not on streaming, so in those cases they will always be able to sue for actual damages.

Eh, that's technically true, but then you get companies like Atlus Japan suing a private server project that didn't even take donations because one of the private server runners who used the project software decided to copy the old website from the Wayback Machine and replace the copyright notice in a boneheaded move. The court filings swore up and down there was somehow massive damages, etc.

Atlus went straight to US federal court. They didn't even try a DMCA first.

I somehow didn't get sued despite my name showing up in the GitHub commit screenshots for the open source project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIlGFOp__Cw

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 7, 2023

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Just recently reinstalled this, have a few questions.

Best server, server with the most goons? It looks like I can transfer server, but all of my characters are on indomitable which is 'low' pop now. Would hate to lose my names, but probably worth it for more population.

I had a spines/fiery aura AE farmer dude ages ago... I assume that farming with him has been nerfed right? Are there easy ways to get characters power leveled and to gain inf? I love making a ton of characters but hated grinding too much for stuff.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Excelsior is the "goon" server, the other highpop server is the rp server bit also has some folks. I don't think I've seen any one chat in goonchat since the early days but grouping is easy on excelsior.

Farming has been needed, but I still do anrun of my fire/spines before making a new alt so I can buy all my travel and mission teleport powers

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I had a spines/fiery aura AE farmer dude ages ago... I assume that farming with him has been nerfed right? Are there easy ways to get characters power leveled and to gain inf? I love making a ton of characters but hated grinding too much for stuff.

Fire farming's a bit nerfed to the point where I've seen quite a few claims that various tanks can do it better with smashing/lethal farms, though I just haven't bothered to check for myself and I don't think the difference is massive.

If you're after power leveling, this post just upthread has an alright solo leveling method. If you want to make inf and level at the same time, you would want to start a 2nd account, dual box the game, and use your current farmer to power level a new one who can then power level the rest of your characters. Just mail over the inf and goodies from the 2nd account to your main one and you're all set.

If you just want to make inf, you really don't have to farm much. Run Hami raids, run Tinpexes, run whatever the WST is and you'll have plenty of reward merits. Spend those on enhancement converters or boosters and flip them on the AH for easy cash, or craft cheapo IOs and convert them yourself to valuable ones for slower profit.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Prices have also gone down a bit, and prices are generally low enough and profit's high enough even post nerfs that it doesn't take super long to get enough inf to gear a toon. Especially if you dual-box (or tri-box i guess) it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been experimenting with various ways to level fast:

If you make a rad/fire brute you can start fire farming by like level 12. This isn't particularly fast though. Multiboxing and dragging an alt along isn't very efficient until your main farmer is 50.

If you have a level 50 with Incarnate level shifts, you can powerlevel an alt pretty easily by doing high-level missions in Dark Astoria (Ephram Sha has repeatable missions). The pulls aren't as big as fire farm packs but you get +2 level shift bonus against them that you don't get elsewhere, so even a relatively ungeared 50 can do this and it's pretty fast.

Joining level 54 PI radio missions is the first and easiest way to get a grip of exp on a new character in a team. This is my go-to option whenever available because other setups are either slower, more work to play, or hard to get into.

Joining a farm as a sitter can be incredibly fast (if you know a farmer and get a lucrative sitter spot on a team full of hitters) or pretty slow (someone solo farming leeching several sitters) but it's always fairly hands-off - at most whoever's running it will request that you stay active in chat or something to stick around. It's overall very hard to get in on farm teams unless you befriend a farmer, though.

Once you hit level 35, everything changes, because that's when you become eligible for ITF. You can use the LFG tab of the chat window to queue yourself up solo for it ("Time's Arrow") to get a free teleport to Cimerora, bypassing the need to unlock the Midnighter badge. The next step is getting on a group for it - it's generally not too hard to make one yourself, and they appear in chat fairly often because it's a phenomenal TF for exp farming at 50.

One run of ITF (with double XP boost) is likely enough to get you from 35-45 (assuming you convinced a level 50+ team to let you tag along), and at level 45 MLTF opens up which should take you to 50 in one run (again, with double xp boost). You may need to double down on one of those or fill in some PI radio missions or something to get a few final bubbles to 50. Ironically, level 35-50 is often the fastest part of the process if you can quickly get in groups.

Then one more run of ITF at level 50 should be enough to unlock your first 3 Incarnate slots and get you close to 3 vet levels, and vet level 3 will give you everything you need to get your Alpha T3 and get that +1 level shift and at that point you're pretty powerful and self-sufficient. You can alternatively run Dark Astoria mission arcs instead because they reward Incarnate Salvage pieces, and you can repeat the Heather Townshend arc in Ouro to farm an infinite amount of incarnate components this way.

e: For what it's worth I've been able to casually amass a few hundred million inf in 2 weeks of playing with no farming characters. Doing TFs is a huge money-maker - like this week Citadel is the weekly TF. Level 25 minimum, most of it can be skipped via Team Transport spam (if your team has a bunch of them), and with the weekly bonus it will give you 80 Reward Merits the first time you run it on each character this week. Those 80 reward merits buy you 16 Enhancement Boosters which is 16 million inf for a sub-30-minute TF that you can repeat once for every level 25+ character you have. And that's on top of any inf or recipe drops you get along the way.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 9, 2023

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yeah just play the game. there is no need to do anything fancy or repetitive to get money and gear up, the inf will be there when you need it as long as you're doing any kind of structured content at all - story arcs, TFs, flashbacks, everything has merits attached that convert quickly to cash on demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Some of the most expensive IO poo poo is now pretty reasonable to buy with merits, winter set IOs are 100 each, and that's just Apex/Tinmage (about 30 minutes or less) for 80 merits plus one short TF for 20.