Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Suprfli6 posted:

My Lich is level 94 now and still steamrolling most stuff even though I haven't really crafted any good gear.

What is your lich build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

This one: https://www.lastepochtools.com/planner/aBZDeZ2A and here's a video guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovxEymLj48E.

It is taking advantage of autocasting bone curse when you teleport, bone curse is a guaranteed crit for a lot of damage but falls off after 1 hit, but with as many hungering souls projectiles as you can and the fact that each hit reapplies the curse, it does crazy damage. Apparently this was nerfed once before but started working again in 0.9 so if it gets changed back again, I'll switch to a typical crit lich build.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I dig the crafting system but think I may just be too bad to play this game. Is there a build that kills bosses with turrets (a la hydras in the Diablo games) or other things that don't require me to target the boss? I might be able to survive all the "move or die" mechanics if I could spend all of my focus on just staying alive. But when my cursor has to be on the boss to cast spells at it, there's a 0% chance of me being able to also move my charterer out of death zones reliably enough to win.

I tried maxing out mouse sensitivity, but that mostly causes me to overshoot. The real problem is that my brain/hands are too slow. These newfangled arpgs may just be too much for me in my dotage :corsair:

e: duhhh, pet build seems like the obvious answer.

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 22, 2023

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I dig the crafting system but think I may just be too bad to play this game. Is there a build that kills bosses with turrets (a la hydras in the Diablo games) or other things that don't require me to target the boss? I might be able to survive all the "move or die" mechanics if I could spend all of my focus on just staying alive. But when my cursor has to be on the boss to cast spells at it, there's a 0% chance of me being able to also move my charterer out of death zones reliably enough to win.

I tried maxing out mouse sensitivity, but that mostly causes me to overshoot. The real problem is that my brain/hands are too slow. These newfangled arpgs may just be too much for me in my dotage :corsair:

e: duhhh, pet build seems like the obvious answer.

Yeah necromancer is probably the way to go if you're wanting to avoid having to attack the boss. My build involves summoning lots of skeletons, but they don't have to be summoned on the target so you can have the mouse cursor wherever. The "trick" with minion builds in boss fights is you do need to pay a bit of attention to your active minions, lest some critical part of your menagerie die without being resummoned and the whole thing falls apart.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I'm only a lvl47~ poison Lich but this games real fun so far. When I first started I saw so much Grim Dawn in it I was sure it was made by the same devs but nope?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

mcvey posted:

I'm only a lvl47~ poison Lich but this games real fun so far. When I first started I saw so much Grim Dawn in it I was sure it was made by the same devs but nope?

Nope. Weirdly enough the Grim Dawn devs are currently working on the really good early access survival town builder "Farthest Frontier".

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
There is also a squirrel beast master build that maxroll says is very easy to play. Haven't tried it myself.

Does the respec cost more every time you use it? Is it practical to have a character that can swap between a couple builds or do you really have to do one dedicated character per build? The blessings make it seem like swapping can be a huge PITA. I have a Dragonsong and a Reign of Winter and was hoping I'd be able to play both builds with just one character that could swap between them.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 22, 2023

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
As far as I know, the price of respeccing never changes. You can change anything as much as you want (aside from your mastery choice).

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
If specific blessings are needed for a build, then yes swapping would be a pain. If you had more generic blessings that worked for both, it would be easier.

Respeccing is cheap always, doesn't increase in cost or anything, as long as both builds use the same mastery.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

bamhand posted:

There is also a squirrel beast master build that maxroll says is very easy to play. Haven't tried it myself.

I could be wrong but I think you need a lvl76 legendary helm to really get that one at full potential

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Magus42 posted:

If specific blessings are needed for a build, then yes swapping would be a pain. If you had more generic blessings that worked for both, it would be easier.

Respeccing is cheap always, doesn't increase in cost or anything, as long as both builds use the same mastery.

Ah I think the points cost different amounts depending on where in the skill tree and I wasn't paying a ton of attention when I was doing it. Just noticed the cost was changing.

Good Citizen posted:

I could be wrong but I think you need a lvl76 legendary helm to really get that one at full potential

Yeah but it works without it. Seems like it increases your damage a good chunk but it's perfectly functional before you get it. Unfortunately you will have wolves instead of squirrels without the helm though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MajorBonnet posted:

BEEEEEEEES

I love that uniques like this helm and the squirrel helm exist.

I agree, but the problem with the bee build is the obnoxious "pop-augh" of bees spawning & dying eternally:
https://i.imgur.com/kX7STUV.mp4 (sound)

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

bamhand posted:

Ah I think the points cost different amounts depending on where in the skill tree and I wasn't paying a ton of attention when I was doing it. Just noticed the cost was changing.

Yeah but it works without it. Seems like it increases your damage a good chunk but it's perfectly functional before you get it. Unfortunately you will have wolves instead of squirrels without the helm though.

The gold cost for passive respecs is based on how many points you have invested in that specific passive node iirc.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Sab669 posted:

I agree, but the problem with the bee build is the obnoxious "pop-augh" of bees spawning & dying eternally:

Well that's annoying...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Magus42 posted:

Well that's annoying...

It turned me off playing that character of mine. Don't want to have to take my items off to stop spawning bees when I'm just kinda like idling in town, crafting or like alt tabbed to respond to a message on Teams or whatever.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I had to remove the poison projectile from my aura of decay build because the sound effect was awful and constant. Doing so caused my single target damage to plummet so I ended up completely changing my build to not use AoD at all.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is Fall of the Empire the right mono to try and get the meteor belt? Maxroll says that one but I did an echo with a unique reward and it was a dagger.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

bamhand posted:

Is Fall of the Empire the right mono to try and get the meteor belt? Maxroll says that one but I did an echo with a unique reward and it was a dagger.

There are generic unique reward monos and also specifically unique/set belt monos that only spawn in fall of the empire

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Do the optional quests do anything for empowered monos?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
How does Earthquake Bear compare to Cold Dot Bear? Love that even though I have all the gear, blessings prevent me from easily trying anything out.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

explosivo posted:

Nope. Weirdly enough the Grim Dawn devs are currently working on the really good early access survival town builder "Farthest Frontier".

Which is pretty dumb IMO, when they could work on Grim Dawn 2. They did so much excellent world-building with the first game and had such a winning formula that a second game if executed well would totally crush both D4 and POE2 imo.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Slow News Day posted:

Which is pretty dumb IMO, when they could work on Grim Dawn 2. They did so much excellent world-building with the first game and had such a winning formula that a second game if executed well would totally crush both D4 and POE2 imo.

I liked Grim Dawn quite a bit, but lol

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Suprfli6 posted:

I’m serious. Diablo 4 is gonna wobble for at least six months after release, and POE devs are sleeping on the job and won’t be releasing the sequel until what… 2024? 2025?

A Grim Dawn 2 around now would have been a slam dunk.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I put even fewer hours into Grim Dawn than Chronicon and Torchlight 3 :shrug: I did like Titan Quest when it was new but GD did absolutely nothing for me when I tried it.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Suprfli6 posted:

srsly. weren't they like, "yo dawgs we've been doing arpgs for literally 20 years we kinda need a break"?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I think I have over 500 hours in GD. Maybe a lot more. It just pushed the right buttons in my monkey brain.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I have a great deal of nostalgic affection for Titan Quest, but Grim Dawn made me realize but there's a reason I stopped playing it.

LE feels so much more approachable.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I had fun with Grim Dawn but there's no way a sequel would unseat Diablo 4 or POE. Also the devs don't want to make it. I think Last Epoch has a far better chance if they play their cards right once it goes full release but still will absolutely not unseat either of the big two.

edit: I mean, who knows, the game doesn't exist, but it does feel like to compete with da big dawgs there has to be online seasons and all that crap and I doubt they would be willing to do that. It'd probably be a pretty popular ARPG but yeah it's moot anyway

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 4, 2023

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
LE has so much good stuff going for it. And then some mind boggling design choices. Like D2 zod rune level drop rates for high LP items, and then you have to win a 50/50 coin flip on top of that before the item is any good.

Also this is more for me venting:
There's no dedicated force move button unless you give up the ability to attack with left click.
Combine the above with fighting Lagon on a melee character.
Controller teleport just sends you right into the closest enemy who is already wailing on your face.
Controller aim for ranged skills often misses the person right in front of you even when you're pointing in their direction.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I hate how the state of ARPGs is LOL GROUND AOE WHOOPS YOU'RE DEAD.... It's lovely gameplay.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Diablo 4 seemed like it wants to be a little more "technical" having a Dash ability in the game and whatnot.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Stanley Pain posted:

I hate how the state of ARPGs is LOL GROUND AOE WHOOPS YOU'RE DEAD.... It's lovely gameplay.

Agreed. Too much "don't stand in the fire" in my dopamine delivery system. We used to just click on skeletons until they exploded and gold came out; this used to be a proper country.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Russian Remoulade posted:

Agreed. Too much "don't stand in the fire" in my dopamine delivery system. We used to just click on skeletons until they exploded and gold came out; this used to be a proper country.

I played way to much WoW to ever stand in random poo poo on the ground ever again

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

NPR Journalizard posted:

I played way to much WoW to ever stand in random poo poo on the ground ever again

I loved it when they'd sometimes design a boss with ground effects that you _did_ need to stand in, and everyone would constantly gently caress it up because of learned behavior.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it is much better when you just randomly die to an attack you couldn't see coming at all

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

We used to just click on skeletons until one of them instakilled us with a non-telegraphed attack and we liked it! This used to be a proper country.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

NPR Journalizard posted:

“MINUS FIFTY DKP!!!!”

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Ya know I thought about this a bit and in any other genre ‘don’t stand in the fire’ is largely ok, but in a game that is requiring you to point and click moving in and out of fire just feels worse. Using wasd or twin stick it’s easy to navigate and run, whereas with point and click I feel like I’m way more prone to my character faffing off in the wrong direction or getting pasted because my angle was wrong and it still clipped me, etc.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I really am not convinced it's possible to beat Lagon as melee without a controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I have had the two idols drop to give me a 100% chance for flame wraiths and spent about 40 minutes running through the last two acts. Using mages (pyromancers), Fire golems, dread shade, and transplant for my other skills.

It is utterly hilarious watching Lagon’s life just drain. The moon on the bottom of his platform went from a sliver to full in about 8 seconds. Liath before him didn’t get to teleport a single time.