Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This made me look up who was picked ahead of PK Subban in the 2nd round in his draft year and jesus its bad

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2007e.html

That draft gets crazy the lower you get.

5th round:
Jamie Benn
Jake Muzzin

6th round:
fuckin' 3x Stanley Cup winner Pat Maroon
2x Stanley Cup winner Carl Hagelin
2x Stanley Cup winner Nick Bonino

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Propaganda Hour posted:

That draft gets crazy the lower you get.

5th round:
Jamie Benn
Jake Muzzin

6th round:
fuckin' 3x Stanley Cup winner Pat Maroon
2x Stanley Cup winner Carl Hagelin
2x Stanley Cup winner Nick Bonino

1st round is a mess too, now that I look

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

El Gallinero Gros posted:

1st round is a mess too, now that I look

The draft was considered the weakest in ages. It looks bad now, and I think that's with all of the top three (Kane especially) performing far, far better than expected.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Yeah, my memory of 2007 was that Kane wasn't seen as a strong first overall.

It also contains my favourite draft moment of the Kings going way off the board and selecting Hickey fourth overall, and everyone collectively saying, "who?"

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Yeah, my memory of 2007 was that Kane wasn't seen as a strong first overall.

Kane wasn't even ranked 1st. NHL Central Scouting had Turris as the top ranked North American. In retrospect that's completely insane considering Kane had 145pts in his draft year, but also he was the first player under 5'10 to go 1st overall and teams are run by idiots.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Kane wasn't even ranked 1st. NHL Central Scouting had Turris as the top ranked North American. In retrospect that's completely insane considering Kane had 145pts in his draft year, but also he was the first player under 5'10 to go 1st overall and teams are run by idiots.

My guess is that him not seeming like a strong first overall was entirely due to his size? I don't remember. But, 145 points in his draft year, plus 2 PPG in the playoffs, plus a strong WJC, and I am not even sure what else he needed to do?

But, the NHL was also in a weird transition period.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

My guess is that him not seeming like a strong first overall was entirely due to his size? I don't remember. But, 145 points in his draft year, plus 2 PPG in the playoffs, plus a strong WJC, and I am not even sure what else he needed to do?

He was also on an absurd line with Sergei Kostitsyin and Sam Gagner, and he was considered the third banana of that trio.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I hate this loving sport why do I own season tickets to this poo poo

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Wezlar posted:

new thread title

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Wezlar posted:

:allears: god I love the playoffs

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

The size was definitely a part of it, he was the smallest player to go top 5 since Kariya in 1993. Looking it up quickly the only other players under 6'0" drafted top 5 between 1993 and 2007 are Crosby and Kessel in the previous 2 years.

I remember the consensus was that he wasn't expected to be a real star player and was more like a safe bet to be a first liner.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He was also very much a one dimensional winger which was true, but it was a heck of a dimension.

Really it's as simple as "sure he has talent but have you seen that he's not very tall?"

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

He was also very much a one dimensional winger which was true, but it was a heck of a dimension.

Really it's as simple as "sure he has talent but have you seen that he's not very tall?"

And how many of the people involved in decisions like that are still involved with NHL teams today?

Too loving many.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

And how many of the people involved in decisions like that are still involved with NHL teams today?

Too loving many.

Cole Caufield being the latest sterling example of that

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

And Brayden Point and Alex DeBrincat

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

At the near top of the draft where Kane was, Strome > Marner seems pretty dumb now.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

pseudodragon posted:

At the near top of the draft where Kane was, Strome > Marner seems pretty dumb now.

Strome over Marner was understood as bad by fancy stats people at the time but it was at least intelligible. If you want an example from that draft there was a period where Lawson Crouse was ranked above both of them.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

What year was Tyler Biggs? Because that one was funny too.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

What year was Tyler Biggs? Because that one was funny too.

2011. The next few players were no great shakes either but he's the highest-taken player—and one of only 5 in the first two rounds—to never play an NHL game.

But yeah that was hilarious. Every future mediocrity is getting compared to, like, Peter Forsberg and Joe Sakic then here's this guy getting "COMPARABLE: COLBY ARMSTRONG"

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

pseudodragon posted:

I donno , checking stats, it looks like Strome has made it farther in the playoffs than Mitch has so far.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
BSH has made the ultimate sacrifice for us: they listened to every podcasts of TDA’s podcasts that he did back in 2020:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/post/philadelphia-flyers-every-episode-of-tony-deangelo-podcast-watch-your-tone/

“DeAngelo definitely fancies himself a sportscaster type—which is only inflamed in Episode 2 when Kenny Albert tells him that he and Wayne Gretzky are the athletes he always thought could host a sports talk show”

Some random TDA insights:
According to his friends, if Tony was mic’d up for a playoff game, they’d have to bleep the whole game

Tony throws his clubs when he golfs (no surprise there)

Tony does not know what a DeLorean is (kind of surprising)

His style is Adidas track suit with white v-neck underneath (I mean, duh, South Philly Italian so…duh)

Tony on analytics in hockey: “I don’t think they’re bad by any means. 1) I don’t believe they’re the end-all. You might as well just put robots on the field. 2) I trust a GM, a scout, a department over a computer system. I think the eye test is more important than analytics.”

While talking about what sport would you most want to make the winning play of a game 7—buzzer beater, overtime goal, walkoff homerun, or touchdown—Tony picks hockey and says, “Obviously, because when you’re in a position where you may actually have a chance to do it someday, you gotta pick it.” I have some unfortunate news for him: he’s on the Philadelphia Flyers, so it might be quite a while, if ever, before he’s in that position.
Tony’s picks for the best sports movies are Miracle (2004) at no. 1 and Beer League (2006) at no. 2.

He’d let Mike Tyson punch him in the face for a million dollars (he does not bring up that his salary is more than that).

His favorite player ever is Chris Pronger.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I bet there's at least one exec or GM who wouldn't pick Bedard #1 because he's small, these guys are dumbasses

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

2011 was maybe the worst Leafs draft in recent memory. They went way off the board to select Tyler Biggs, a guy who had no business being drafted in the first round. Then they traded their 30th and 39th pick to draft 25th and get Stuart Percy. Anaheim took those picks and got Rakell and Gibson.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yes Tony D has a point, if you're going to commit the sin of statistical analysis you might as well go all the way and build robots to play field hockey.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

Yes Tony D has a point, if you're going to commit the sin of statistical analysis you might as well go all the way and build robots to play field hockey.

But giiiirls play field hockey…oh. I think I get why he’s upset now.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Don't tell the Dutch that.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Duckman2008 posted:

BSH has made the ultimate sacrifice for us: they listened to every podcasts of TDA’s podcasts that he did back in 2020:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/post/philadelphia-flyers-every-episode-of-tony-deangelo-podcast-watch-your-tone/

You didn’t post the absolute highlight of the entire article:

DeAngelo picked John Tortorella for the 2020 Jack Adams Award, noting that he is “the only Italian coach in the league.”

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

mentholmoose posted:

DeAngelo picked John Tortorella for the 2020 Jack Adams Award, noting that he is “the only Italian coach in the league.”

Italians do it better

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

KanJam was invented in Buffalo so I am extremely down with this idea.

Update on my Toxx: I’m gonna donate $100 when I get paid on Friday.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

mentholmoose posted:

He's not even being racist right. Tocchet was still Coyotes coach in 2020.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol

Arizona lawmaker wants investigation into Tempe's election for Coyotes arena

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.12...c3-c2f3043d549a

quote:

A Republican lawmaker is asking Arizona Attorney General Kris Mayes to determine whether Tempe violated the state's constitution in how it's holding a special election to build a new entertainment complex for the Arizona Coyotes.

State Rep. Steve Montenegro, R-District 29, sent a letter Monday to the AG's office requesting an investigation into the proposed Tempe Entertainment District, which is the subject of a special election on May 16.

Ballots for the election have already begun to be mailed out to Tempe's voters.

Montenegro alleges that the process which Tempe took to hold its upcoming election may have been improper. The lawmaker has taken issue with how the project's development agreement required the TED developers to petition for a referendum election.

“[T]he Arizona Constitution does not allow the City to directly refer measures to the ballot, but the development agreement with Bluebird appears to be an indirect and unconstitutional attempt to do so,” Montenegro wrote in his letter to the attorney general.

Montenegro additionally wants a review of how the special election is being funded.

State law permits Arizona's lawmakers to ask the attorney general to investigate the constitutionality of ordinances passed by municipalities.

The lawmaker is asking Mayes to issue a report "as quickly as possible" since the election is less than a month away.

This poo poo is never going to end

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/CBCScott/status/1650924970476707847

Guess they are not going to be moving to Kelowna.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Lol what a surprise after Smith's polling showed she was flagging in Calgary. I bet the Province is picking up all the overruns.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I'm sure the people of Edmonton are thrilled to help pay for both arenas.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

I'm sure the people of Edmonton are thrilled to help pay for both arenas.

They set the absolute worst precedent by allowing Katz to just take whatever he wanted from public coffers to build his arena after he got Wayne to hold a fake rear end relocation meeting in Seattle. Every Canadian team is going to expect $600m+ in public funding for a new corporate sponsor box only arena in the next decade. Beyond the fact that a single public penny should never go into a professional sports arena, I have little sympathy for the idiots in Edmonton.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
It’s gonna own when some 1% rear end in a top hat has $1bil pocket cash to buy the Ottawa Senators this summer but suddenly needs $600mil from taxpayers to finally build that stadium downtown for da fans 3 years down the road

Oh well, at least taxpayers will reap the benefits of this state of the art facility

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's why they'll make Ryan Reynolds the figurehead of it.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
https://twitter.com/jkamckenzie/status/1650978181606694914

$550M from the city, $330M from CSEC and $300M from the province... this time for sure now.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

80% of a $1.25bn private project coming from public funds, not including the necessary infrastructure upgrades. Jesus Christ. This is why Nenshi fought against this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

lmao calgary fuckin sucks.