Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have started blocking all blue accounts today.

I will have Twitter for me, and the unimportant people that can't or don't want to give 8 dollars for more exposure.

Kinda sad blocking people I have followed for years, but, hey, here is where we depart bro.

I hope @drill does not buy blue. I have already the gun loaded and a finger in the trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/dril/status/575121631846227968?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

This could become a reality

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It'll be easy to tell who has been forced to have blue and who willingly bought blue by how much of an rear end in a top hat they are in general regarding their tweets regarding blue. You can always tell.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

See, now, this is so stupid.

Why didn't Booker just change his username before he went to the carnival? The sign is RIGHT THERE.

Can't believe people praise this game's story. 🙄

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
why doesnt Musk do an Oprah and give out free cars.

like I would personally sale it at firesale prices(hopefully not on fire) but I'm like pretty sure I would get atleast 1K for it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

MJeff posted:

See, now, this is so stupid.

Why didn't Booker just change his username before he went to the carnival? The sign is RIGHT THERE.

Can't believe people praise this game's story. 🙄

Elon played Bioshock Infinite and immediately threw the baseball at the interracial couple when presented with the option.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
This is the funniest poo poo

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Elon played Bioshock Infinite and immediately threw the baseball at the interracial couple when presented with the option.

Soft locking the section by accidentally sequence breaking it because you are hammering the throw button as fast as possible before the prompt shows up

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Elon hates Bioshock 2 because it's about setting a good example for your child.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Elon Musk should take after Andrew Ryan, and hand someone a golf club

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1649934233786519555

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Tei posted:

I have started blocking all blue accounts today.

I will have Twitter for me, and the unimportant people that can't or don't want to give 8 dollars for more exposure.

Kinda sad blocking people I have followed for years, but, hey, here is where we depart bro.

I hope @drill does not buy blue. I have already the gun loaded and a finger in the trigger.

Maybe this is why Elon's giving people like Steven King blue - makes it hard to just loving auto block blues.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Would you kindly take this horse

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Would you kindly eat your own head on live television?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I can't believe Elon has tried all these stupid ideas to save his floundering investment but we're still allowed to block every single advertiser we see via convenient drop-down menu

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Just to recap:

-Old Twitter used to verify notable accounts with a somewhat opaque process
-New Twitter makes it so you can just buy these
-They want to remove the old “unfair” ones so they add an alternate label for legacy vs Blue and warn the legacy ones are going away.
-Well, now that Blues are labeled as bought and paid for, they’re easy to cross reference and target for mass blocking and laughing at
-they finally remove the legacy accounts, so now ALL Blues are much more easy to target for laughs
-#blocktheblue points out how hilariously easy it is to laugh at and block Blues
-Musk realizes the community has realized the check now ONLY means you’re an idiot, so he desperately starts adding Blues to people to dilute the Blue pool with “verified because notable” Blues (still labeled with the paid verbiage)
-notable accounts are now verified through a somewhat opaque process

leading to the exiting exit from the full circle that brings us here:

-twitter users are desperately trying to remove their arbitrary blue check marks

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The X-man cometh posted:

Maybe this is why Elon's giving people like Steven King blue - makes it hard to just loving auto block blues.

This is absolutely it. He's trying to fight the perception that Twitter Blue is poison in the dumbest way possible.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Disargeria posted:

Just to recap:

-They want to remove the old “unfair” ones so they add an alternate label for legacy vs Blue and warn the legacy ones are going away.
-Well, now that Blues are labeled as bought and paid for, they’re easy to cross reference and target for mass blocking and laughing at
-they finally remove the legacy accounts, so now ALL Blues are much more easy to target for laughs
-#blocktheblue points out how hilariously easy it is to laugh at and block Blues
-Musk realizes the community has realized the check now ONLY means you’re an idiot, so he desperately starts adding Blues to people to dilute the Blue pool with “verified because notable” Blues (still labeled with the paid verbiage)

-twitter users are desperately trying to remove their arbitrary blue check marks

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
does birdsite blue have an official human speakable name or is it just a hex value?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Did all blue checkmarks go away on iOS? I’m trying to find ones to block and I’m not seeing anyone. But I do see people getting the This mfer paid for twitter without them having the blue checkmark.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Disargeria posted:

Just to recap:

For what it's worth the process old twitter used wasn't that opaque - it mostly came down to: "Is there a credible threat that someone would impersonate this person or account?"

So for example if you're a random nobody and your name showed up in the news one time for whatever reason, and someone then created an account pretending to be you, you would get the blue check after you reported them and they got banned (assuming that system worked in the first place to get them banned) The same was largely true of celebrity accounts - they would get the blue check as soon as someone impersonated them.

Business accounts or publications or whatever I'm not sure about, I know the impersonation rule applied to them too, but they could probably just buy it or ask for it or whatever

I'm sure there are other cases that got people verified that did not involve impersonation but this was one of the leading drivers of blue checks

e: The biggest problem with the system was that you essentially could not get a blue check if you were not a "public figure" of some kind, like showing up in the news, or having a tv show, writing articles that got published, or whatever. So if you were just a random person at home and someone impersonated you, too bad.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 23, 2023

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Disargeria posted:

Just to recap:

Every day this becomes more true

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1589961115752013824

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

FBS posted:

I can't believe Elon has tried all these stupid ideas to save his floundering investment but we're still allowed to block every single advertiser we see via convenient drop-down menu

I've been amazed by this since the takeover, but the flipside has been a 10x increase in promoted tweets starting this past week.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

That's definitely the plan, though Twitter is so broken that this is also a trainwreck. It's likely they have a Union Station worth of lines and each of them has their own trainwreck on it

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Yeah the old system wasn't great but it kind of at least served its intended purpose, any semblance of which may as well have been on that rocket cause its gone yo

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

That's definitely the plan, though Twitter is so broken that this is also a trainwreck. It's likely they have a Union Station worth of lines and each of them has their own trainwreck on it

If you don't want the twitter blues, you could just not read twitter

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
https://twitter.com/katienotopoulos/status/1649924194778456065?cxt=HHwWgoC9gYjU2uUtAAAA

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Strong Sauce posted:

Did all blue checkmarks go away on iOS? I’m trying to find ones to block and I’m not seeing anyone. But I do see people getting the This mfer paid for twitter without them having the blue checkmark.

just looking at the website (also on ios) most of the people complaining about getting the mark seem to have ditched them, probably by changing their name. thats not true for all of them though, jon favreau and lil nas x still have them

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

This check spree was initially to humiliate people that were very vocally critical of the checkmark. It only turned into "every account with more than 1M followers" after it was obvious he was having a meltdown.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Yet these people still won’t delete their Twitter accounts.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

kazil posted:

This check spree was initially to humiliate people that were very vocally critical of the checkmark. It only turned into "every account with more than 1M followers" after it was obvious he was having a meltdown.
Matt Binder got a check with only 140k followers

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

davecrazy posted:

I mean as soon as they do someone with a blue checkmark will pretend to be them and start selling crypto.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

PhazonLink posted:

does birdsite blue have an official human speakable name or is it just a hex value?

Shitbird's Egg Blue

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Did anyone right-leaning get a free check? Maybe Elon's Galaxy brain move is to go along with block-the-blue by giving all the SJW libs one so they get suppressed

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

davecrazy posted:

You delete your account and don't look at any of it OP.

davecrazy posted:

All these people complaining about the usability of Twitter but none of them actually deleting their accounts.

davecrazy posted:

Delete your loving Twitter accounts.

davecrazy posted:

Delete your Twitter account.

davecrazy posted:

Why don't these celebrities who hate Twitter do what I did and delete their loving accounts?

davecrazy posted:

Anybody who didn't delete their account the Friday he took control gets what's coming to them.

davecrazy posted:

Everyone should delete their accounts.

davecrazy posted:

What the gently caress does it take for people to delete their accounts?!

davecrazy posted:

Any yet people and orgs STILL won’t delete their accounts.

davecrazy posted:

lol @ anybody who didn’t delete their Twitter account last year.

davecrazy posted:

Presented without comment.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

morningdrew posted:

Did anyone right-leaning get a free check? Maybe Elon's Galaxy brain move is to go along with block-the-blue by giving all the SJW libs one so they get suppressed

Oh you know everyone right leaning has already bought one.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Right pays hard earned money for checks, left gets them for free.

Twitter 2.0 same as Twitter 1.0 smh

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
How long until the one lawyer left at Twitter manages to get through to Elon and tell him "you really really really shouldn't claim in writing that celebrities paid for your service when they didn't"?

At some point they're gonna quietly change the profile notice so it doesn't have the "because they are subscribed to Twitter Blue and verified their phone number" part for the million+ club, and just says "This account is verified". Or he might change it to just that for ALL checkmarked accounts, which actually seems more likely because it lets his fanboys appear to be in the same category as the actual celebs.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

MJeff posted:

ALSO ALSO ALSO.

The whole point of twitter blue, as Elon envisioned it, was that everybody would be equal, that joe blow would be equal to the celebrity in that they would both be paying 8 bucks for a blue checkmark, and that would make them both equal in the eyes of the website.

But. Now the celebs just get it for free, while joe blow has to pay 8 bucks....so doesn't that violate LITERALLY the entire premise?

Some people are just more equal than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Disargeria posted:

Just to recap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdLPe7XjdKc