Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
A dealership knocked $800 off a '22 XSR700 and if they weren't going to add on an extra few grand in dealer fees I'd be willing to trade up to one. That bike speaks to every hipster sensibility that still lives inside me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

The insurance is probably decent because of the statistical caliber of a person buying a Harley. They probably aren't going to go crash it immediately.

:rubby:

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I might get some hate for this...but you said big...fast...bags...more classic style....lots of miles...is a Harley out of the question? The insurance is probably decent because of the statistical caliber of a person buying a Harley. They probably aren't going to go crash it immediately.

Harley just charges a lot for what they offer, as far as I can see, and I don't really want a cruiser at all. I don't really want big, or even super fast (I'm not looking at litrebike sports tourers for the most part), I just want big *enough*. The SV650 (or my ninja) for example, is just a little too small to be comfortable for more than an hour for me. My hips cramp up and my knees get sore, and my lower back aches, mostly because of where the footpegs rest in relation to the seat. Rearsets make it far worse, but goddamn do I love riding a 600 even if I look very silly doing it. When I'm riding NC 226a or Tail of the Dragon, I forget all that and just bomb those corners. It's the three hour ride getting there and three hour ride back that's a pain in the rear end.

As for insurance, it's super weird. I have 0 accidents ever and 0 tickets in over a decade, and I've had my endorsement for 6 years AND I took a riding class a year ago. Why is a Katana, a 150hp upright literbike $800/yr from Progressive, same as an MT09, MT10, Ninja 650 (Wtf), and all these listed ADV bikes... but a Ninja 1000SX is $1800, same as if I wanted to buy a loving Hayabusa??? :confused: People must be crashing Dad-Literbikes left and right.

Slavvy posted:

Both the 900 bikes have insanely snatchy throttles and are generally really frantic feeling, lots of miles is not something I would want to do on one

The tracer is better in this regard but as a similarly tall person I found the seating position really bizarre, the pegs are in a weird place and I found I couldn't put my toes on the right peg because of the exhaust position jamming up my heel.

The low end torque from that triple and the gearing probably doesn't help that.

I'm headed to two dealerships next week (a big 4 Japanese store, and a triumph/bmw/ducati store), we'll see if some wily salesman can wrangle cash out of me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Remember: if you buy a bmw baby jesus cries another tear

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I was considering one of their 300 bikes for a hot second.

I keep thinking about how much maintenance my dad has to do to his X3 all the time. I don't think he'd be owning one at all if he didn't have two close relatives nearby who are BMW factory techs with their own tools and pirated dealer software to help him out

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 21, 2023

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I had an old xs400 for riding around and then it got stolen (again, only this time it's gone for good instead of gone for a joy ride and then dumped in a park where I have to pay $400 to get it back because the park service had it towed). Anyway, what bike should I get? I'll ride it once or twice a week in NYC and then probably go on a couple of longer rides from time to time but for better or worse any time I have a lot of time to go riding I'm going to drive the van out to trails and ride a dirt bike.

Things to consider:
Anything with knobby tires will be immediately stolen so no sumos.
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast but acceleration is fun.
Can't be too wide for lane splitting.
It's going to get knocked over so too nice is probably a bad thing.

I was thinking of the following bikes but I'm sure I'm missing something.

honda hawk gt (cheap, not too nice, super fun)
sv650 (fun, also cheap)
mt07 (less cheap but also good all around)
ktm 990 (I know, I know, but maybe it would be too big for someone to want to steal?)
monster (I love suffering)
HD xr1200 (:911: also wanted one of these for a while)
big scooter (I love being comfortable while everyone laughs at me)
beginner bike - ninja 250 R3 etc (slow bike fast really is a ton of fun, cheap, won't care if they get knocked over and unlikely to be stolen but... I do like acceleration too)

Anything obvious I'm missing or other suggestions?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Try to find out which category of bike gets stolen the least and buy that.

My guess is maxi scooter.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Carth Dookie posted:

Try to find out which category of bike gets stolen the least and buy that.

My guess is maxi scooter.

There's been a triumph thruxton parked in the same spot for literally at least six years and in that time I have had four bikes stolen from that spot and it's never once been touched.

Googling it says a harley trike...

But yeah, the burgman is up there.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

spouse posted:

As for insurance, it's super weird. I have 0 accidents ever and 0 tickets in over a decade, and I've had my endorsement for 6 years AND I took a riding class a year ago. Why is a Katana, a 150hp upright literbike $800/yr from Progressive, same as an MT09, MT10, Ninja 650 (Wtf), and all these listed ADV bikes... but a Ninja 1000SX is $1800, same as if I wanted to buy a loving Hayabusa??? :confused: People must be crashing Dad-Literbikes left and right.

The Ninja 1000 has always had overpriced insurance, many suspect the insurers lump them in with the ZX-Rs for some reason.

In my experience naked bikes are always cheap to insure regardless of how fast they are.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

builds character posted:

There's been a triumph thruxton parked in the same spot for literally at least six years and in that time I have had four bikes stolen from that spot and it's never once been touched.

Every would-be thief throws a leg over, and decides it ain't worth it.

the ergonomics are crippling

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

FBS posted:

The Ninja 1000 has always had overpriced insurance

If my ad responses for my Ninja 1000 are anything to go by, anyone who is interested in that bike is supremely dumb as gently caress

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Googling it says a harley trike...

But yeah, the burgman is up there.

The burgman 650 is a loving weapon and everyone needs to ride one at least once, they are genuinely brilliant and I would have one in my dream garage.

Also the Kawasaki 300 scooter (I can't remember what it's called but it's based on a Chinese thing) is insanely, absurdly fast at accelerating to 100kmh; faster than an sv650 which I know for a fact. They are good but don't handle as well as big burg.

I would not get a 'nice' bike like a Ducati if it's going to live in the street, you'll just be wrecking something pretty and eating a big depreciation hit for the sake of not really looking very cool because there's nothing worse than a weathered Ducati.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My combined on-road insurance (Monkey 125, Vstrom 650) and off-road insurance (KLX300R, KLX140R, KTM250) is something like $270/year. Very cheap. It isn't just liability either, all of them are insured for replacement value.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The burgman 650 is a loving weapon and everyone needs to ride one at least once, they are genuinely brilliant and I would have one in my dream garage.

Also the Kawasaki 300 scooter (I can't remember what it's called but it's based on a Chinese thing) is insanely, absurdly fast at accelerating to 100kmh; faster than an sv650 which I know for a fact. They are good but don't handle as well as big burg.

I would not get a 'nice' bike like a Ducati if it's going to live in the street, you'll just be wrecking something pretty and eating a big depreciation hit for the sake of not really looking very cool because there's nothing worse than a weathered Ducati.

I've never ridden one, but I've sat on the big burg and a few other maxi scoots and I admit there's something about the seating. It's like riding a throne.
Disagree about the weathered Ducati. Nothing like a beat up, dirty, scuffed up, lived in old Ducati to make you think "there goes a real one".

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Fortnine did a great video about the Burgman 650, because of course they did.

Also, last page there was chat about a thermometer/temp sensor on a bike - I'm pretty sure my 2013 F800GS has one.

It's not riding season here yet, and I pull my batteries out of my bikes to put them on a tender, so I can't go turn the key and see.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Sorry folks, it's too late for me.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/242235915000009

GriszledMelkaba posted:

If my ad responses for my Ninja 1000 are anything to go by, anyone who is interested in that bike is supremely dumb as gently caress

So that's a vote for a ninja 1000 for me too.

Slavvy posted:

If I got a ducati it'd be like this https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/590699162791705/ or this https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/mcy/d/leonia-2005-ducati-monster-s2r-800/7609552705.html not like this https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2238716759853022/

I don't really want a scooter but it does seem like I should give it more thought. Ideally I'd get a teeny tiny scooter and then also a motorcycle because it's always n+1.

Finger Prince posted:

I've never ridden one, but I've sat on the big burg and a few other maxi scoots and I admit there's something about the seating. It's like riding a throne.
Disagree about the weathered Ducati. Nothing like a beat up, dirty, scuffed up, lived in old Ducati to make you think "there goes a real one".

So I'd have to wear this as a helmet? https://www.etsy.com/listing/1382416297/richard-the-lionheart-helmet-monarch

Captain McAllister posted:

Fortnine did a great video about the Burgman 650, because of course they did.

Also, last page there was chat about a thermometer/temp sensor on a bike - I'm pretty sure my 2013 F800GS has one.

It's not riding season here yet, and I pull my batteries out of my bikes to put them on a tender, so I can't go turn the key and see.

:hmmyes: I too am a faceless business man.

jfc that storage though.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Someone has this parked outside at my office:

Business above, party below.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I was close to buying an Executive Burg or a Silverwing, but the apparent complexity of working on them discouraged me from owning one.
I'm more comfortable with working in traditional layouts

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
FIL owns a silver wing and likes it. Doesn't have any issues

I know one good thing about having no garage right now is that it's stopping me from being an mt07 as a second bike. Soon as we get a place with a garage I'm hosed and my wife is going to kill me lol.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

UCS Hellmaker posted:

FIL owns a silver wing and likes it. Doesn't have any issues

I know one good thing about having no garage right now is that it's stopping me from being an mt07 as a second bike. Soon as we get a place with a garage I'm hosed and my wife is going to kill me lol.

Same.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I took a demo ride on both Kawaski 400s today and though I do fit on them (unlike the Yamaha starter bikes) they are still quite cramped. I got back on the FJR to ride home and wondered how often I'd be willing to fold myself up like that to go for a ride with the big fast couch sitting right next to it in the garage.

I probably shouldn't spend any more energy on "what bike am I buying next" until I sell the MT-07 and probably the 919 too, and see how I feel with just one bike in the garage again. But I need something to daydream about at the office...

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

FBS posted:

I took a demo ride on both Kawaski 400s today and though I do fit on them (unlike the Yamaha starter bikes) they are still quite cramped. I got back on the FJR to ride home and wondered how often I'd be willing to fold myself up like that to go for a ride with the big fast couch sitting right next to it in the garage.

I probably shouldn't spend any more energy on "what bike am I buying next" until I sell the MT-07 and probably the 919 too, and see how I feel with just one bike in the garage again. But I need something to daydream about at the office...

What's making you want to go from an MT-07 to what I assume is the z400?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Mostly because I've owned it for three and a half years and I'm tired of it.

e: what I actually need to buy is a dual sport

FBS fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 22, 2023

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Slavvy posted:

Also the Kawasaki 300 scooter (I can't remember what it's called but it's based on a Chinese thing)

J300? It's made by Kymco iirc with some extra Kawasaki design bits.

A while back i tested rode a Forza 350 and ever since I have been jonesing for a new 23MY Xmax 300 Tech Max but they aren't available in the UK yet. It gave me time to think about what I really need vs want so now I have an NMax 125 arriving in 12 day's time.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

After having a crisis of consciousness over my decision to pick up a Z650, I moved that deposit over to Trident 660 for delivery next week.

Rode for a long time, took a few years off, and recently moved to an area with some pretty decent riding; so I am amped.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

You got Slavvy to compliment a Ninja 650. Let’s see what this latest move manages.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

a Triumph is usually more interesting than a Kawasaki

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Walked posted:

After having a crisis of consciousness over my decision to pick up a Z650, I moved that deposit over to Trident 660 for delivery next week.

Rode for a long time, took a few years off, and recently moved to an area with some pretty decent riding; so I am amped.

Imagine I'm the sim city roads guy going NO! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!

It's probably fine but still kind of a dumb thing to do, hopefully they're good with warranty repairs. It'll look cool parked by the cafe.

FBS posted:

a Triumph is usually more interesting than a Kawasaki

Honestly nah. The speed triple is interesting, the Daytona is fast as gently caress for a 600, but that's about it. The twins are very much Just A Bike and the street triple is almost Honda-like in it's total lack of charisma, unless you think charging systems made of spaghetti are interesting. I don't picture a sleeved down street triple with super basic cycle parts being very interesting but neither is an er6.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Split the difference and get a W650.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ulf posted:

Split the difference and get a W650.

This is a great idea. Though it's the w800 nowadays.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My experiences with triumphs have definitely been more interesting than my experiences with kawasakis, yes

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

FBS posted:

Mostly because I've owned it for three and a half years and I'm tired of it.

e: what I actually need to buy is a dual sport

Kawasaki KLX300 if you’re actually going off-road, there is an SM version if you’re just doing gravel roads and not anything else.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Thinking of a multi bike purchase - anything to look out for/know about the '23 versions of MT-09SP and PW50?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

schreibs posted:

Thinking of a multi bike purchase - anything to look out for/know about the '23 versions of MT-09SP and PW50?

Lol there is a 23 pw50?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

They reset the PW50 VIN each year. Make sure you don't get an unlucky number.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Interesting, is there a better 50cc bike? Kid is almost 4, looking to get him onto something with a motor since he is handling pedal bike very well. TT-R50E? CRF50F?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

schreibs posted:

Interesting, is there a better 50cc bike? Kid is almost 4, looking to get him onto something with a motor since he is handling pedal bike very well. TT-R50E? CRF50F?

They're all much of a muchness in that category, get whatever is well priced and he's able to ride. They only really start to become meaningfully different when you get to the 80 2t/150 4t bracket. Nothing in the 50cc bracket has changed for the last few decades afaik.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

schreibs posted:

My brother bought his kid an xr50 with a big bore kit. It was entirely too much bike for a 5 year old, but he put big bars and risers on it, and it was a hoot and a holler redneck machine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All of the 50’s are basically the same. My kid has a Suzuki JR50 and I’d argue it’s not any better or worse than a PW50 or CRF50 or whatever. They’re a very known quantity and the manufacturers aren’t taking any bold risks with kids bikes, which is why they’ve all been basically the same since they were introduced

Pick the color and the price you like the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
If a manufacturer were to create an RR version of a 50 though, which make would it be?

Imagine how fun it would be as a pit bike, the maintenance intervals would be measured in tens of kms though.