Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Antigravitas posted:

I have never figured out how to properly orient those wooden blocks. Makes my logblock cabin look ridiculous.

Whatever adjacent block surface you’re pointing at is where the trunk part will orient to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Once you reach copper age, using the wrench to rotate any block is a heavensent.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Whatever adjacent block surface you’re pointing at is where the trunk part will orient to.

That makes too much sense. Thanks.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

TeaJay posted:

Thanks for the tips! I will probably build a bit larger but I liked the design since I want to keep it nice and compact. Will have to search for a nice dark material for the fireplace and figure out how to place slabs without them jutting out and connecting to square pieces properly (which is sometimes a real nightmare). Guess I could always chisel to balance it out.

One thing I would like to try this time is to build the food cellar actually under the house to avoid running around for cooking and to make it ... "realistic" ? So I'm guessing it could work with door which opens up to a ladder downstairs, since actual stairs take up so much space. (although you said your house also has stairs downstairs)

I wish I could go grab screenshots if I still had the save. So you can kind of see the stairs up, those are on the left of the fireplace (if you’re facing it) and wrap up behind it, with the landing for the loft being on the right of the fireplace. The basement with the cellar has a door almost directly under that, and the stairs beyond that door go down behind from right to left behind the fireplace and double back slightly so that the cellar is still under the house. There was another door down there just to make sure the cellar room didn’t get too large by including the stair space, but I’m not sure if it was necessary or not.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I did think about the staircase being counted for the cellar so I also made a second door down there.

Has anyone used those new support beams? I placed a few and I absolutely cannot get them out anymore, there doesn't seem to be any way to target them.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TeaJay posted:

Yeah, I did think about the staircase being counted for the cellar so I also made a second door down there.

Has anyone used those new support beams? I placed a few and I absolutely cannot get them out anymore, there doesn't seem to be any way to target them.

What if you destroy the blocks they're spanning between?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah I've messed with the beams a little and usually wound up having to break one of the blocks the first attachment point was on before I could get the positioning just right. You have to kind of hunt around for the hitbox, it's like a 5 cm long section at the root of the beam and it can be overlapped by other hitboxes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Been looking for a new game to get stuck into and I've been following this game through SA for long enough I might finally take the plunge. Any hints for someone just starting out for the first time? Should I just go in unmodded to start?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

explosivo posted:

Been looking for a new game to get stuck into and I've been following this game through SA for long enough I might finally take the plunge. Any hints for someone just starting out for the first time? Should I just go in unmodded to start?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My biggest tip for early survival is to find some clay and make yourself a bowl and a cook pot ASAP. Cooked meals are a huge boon, not only do they fill more of your food bar than the raw ingredients they also disable the food bar from draining for 30 seconds for every 100 satiation worth of meal you eat (So if you eat a meal worth 1000 satiation, you get 5 minutes of no satiation drain and can run, jump, and use tools all you like without worry).

Also now that stable is released I need to get back into this.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

explosivo posted:

You should get the prospector info mod, and maybe the “one shot pro pick” mod (personal preference on that one though.) If you think you’ll dive into modding sooner than later, I’d just grab Wildcraft and Wildcraft trees since the plants won’t generate until you have those mods installed. Mostly they just add varieties of plants and trees and that’s generally just visuals.

I have a ton of tiny mods and I think almost every other one is drop in/drop out from an active save.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks! Checking out all the mod recs, that prospector info one sounds pretty drat useful in particular. I'll wait on the one shot prospector pick until I can judge for myself how much of a pain in the rear end prospecting is in vanilla first :v:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
The other one I would really recommend for an otherwise-unmodded playthrough is the stick crafting one. You need a ton of sticks in this game, and for some reason you can't make them from bigger pieces of wood by default.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Me, knapping for the first time: "Oh so this is how it's gonna be..."

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the game very much like it's tactile crafting methods. it's pretty relaxing, and also neat in how it has variety in the little minigames.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

knapping is also mostly just an early game thing, once you get metal you dont' do it much except for maybe disposable knives for bulk crafters (I usually just use a metal knife anyways for convenience even if it feels like "Wasting" it).

Instead you Smith! :getin:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah once I got into metals, knives were the only thing I ever kept knapping just because there never felt like much reason to have a nicer knife and I only ever needed one to go grab a shitload of grass if I was loading a bunch of pit kilns or something.

That said the game’s main differentiator is the very hands on sort of crafting so if you look at knapping and your first through isn’t “neat!” But “oh this sucks rear end” you might have some struggles down the line. (Unless your worry stops at “I don’t want to do it constantly.” You won’t.)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anime Store Adventure posted:

That said the game’s main differentiator is the very hands on sort of crafting so if you look at knapping and your first through isn’t “neat!” But “oh this sucks rear end” you might have some struggles down the line. (Unless your worry stops at “I don’t want to do it constantly.” You won’t.)

Nah it's not like that at all I just had to laugh a bit when I realized what it wanted me to do to make the item because of course that's how it works

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I haven't actually used this before, but this is another one I specifically went and looked up and will be using:
https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/5844

There was a single recipe that I needed about 1/3 of another ingot to finish and it pissed me off enough! This game is so fiddly, its weird that this isn't vanilla behavior imo.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This is very fun. Got a couple pit kilns going, my own dirt hole with a door, can't wait to see what else this has in store for me. I actually like the crafting stuff so far too.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah, it's kind of weird where the base game draws the line on immersion/realism sometimes. (Like, say, loving sticks.) Fortunately, mods exist to address almost every little pet peeve, at least for mine.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

knapping is also mostly just an early game thing, once you get metal you dont' do it much except for maybe disposable knives for bulk crafters (I usually just use a metal knife anyways for convenience even if it feels like "Wasting" it).

Instead you Smith! :getin:

Yeah, I made an iron knife as my first metal knife. I left my last-crafted obsidian knife at home for all my crafting / near home knife needs. I still have that obsidian knife.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 24, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I should make a nice mod list since I’m curating a huge list for the new version.

Re: sticks, there’s a mod “in dappled groves” that adds a recipe and a lot of other cool wood related things. I do have to say that it’s one of the hardest mods to reccommend, though, because the mod author has an idea of making more crafting happen in world and with tool modes instead of the grid. This isn’t bad - I prefer it, actually - but he doesn’t have fantastic documentation so it takes some bashing your head to figure out the recipes he’s switched to for things like cutting boards or firewood.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I’ve started up a new world. Decreased world size to 25% and pole equator distance to 50%. Started off a basic mud hut right next to spawn to get myself a copper pick and prospecting pick and wound up getting to bronze right off the bat. After two weeks living off the land, I went journeying south with the most important things I had to find my “ideal” spot.

After three weeks I settled about half a days journey from true jungle, apparently in some sweet spot of a climate that’s too far south for wolves but not south enough for hyenas. Oddly, no raccoons, foxes, or bears either. Only gazelles, rabbits, and the occasional chicken. Oh, and crabs, but that’s Primitive Survival mod. Amaranth is the most common grain, followed by sunflowers, flax, and spelt. Soybeans are around, but also turnips and parsnips, but rare onions and no cassava/peanuts.

I’m sitting on a decent cassiterite, copper, and lignite chunk with decent hematite about 15 chunks away. Chalk is two hour in game time run south, bauxite same time frame east, periodotite is deep. I haven’t had this good a location in a bit, though my last spot was pretty darn good.

Once I finish my primary building - 1st floor blue clay brick, 2nd floor probably walnut or oak planks - I’ll post some images.

I added Primitive Survival and Expanded Foods/Culinary Artillery mods. They have so far been fun adds, though primitive survival seems more apt to provide an even easier time of getting nutrition. Weir traps for fish are easy mode.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

I should make a nice mod list since I’m curating a huge list for the new version.

Re: sticks, there’s a mod “in dappled groves” that adds a recipe and a lot of other cool wood related things. I do have to say that it’s one of the hardest mods to reccommend, though, because the mod author has an idea of making more crafting happen in world and with tool modes instead of the grid. This isn’t bad - I prefer it, actually - but he doesn’t have fantastic documentation so it takes some bashing your head to figure out the recipes he’s switched to for things like cutting boards or firewood.

I saw this mod and it seemed really cool (also From Golden Combs by the same author), but I was wary of it for that sort of reason - I already know from other mods that the JEI/reference manual doesn't handle non-standard crafting well at all. And this game is niche enough that searching for the sub-topic of mod recipes is an ask. If you're interested in going more in depth on that mod, I'd be interested myself. If nothing else than to figure out if the mod is for me, with a better informed basis.

HelloSailorSign posted:

I’ve started up a new world. Decreased world size to 25% and pole equator distance to 50%.

Same, I set both to 25%. I think for a single player world the default size settings are way too high. In past versions I remember going on a week long trip southwards and not seeing much change wrt biome / wildlife / wild crops. This time around, I made it to savannas after 4ish days of travel. And got a bunch of new crops to probably watch wither and die in the default 'temperate' (cold-ish?) environment!

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 24, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

metasynthetic posted:

I saw this mod and it seemed really cool (also From Golden Combs by the same author), but I was wary of it for that sort of reason - I already know from other mods that the JEI/reference manual doesn't handle non-standard crafting well at all. And this game is niche enough that searching for the sub-topic of mod recipes is an ask. If you're interested in going more in depth on that mod, I'd be interested myself. If nothing else than to figure out if the mod is for me, with a better informed basis.

I will try to do a small write-up. It really isn't *that* bad, it just has some pitfalls initially that aren't obvious.

Vintage Story is a cruel mistress. I am hunting copper desperately to not have to pan again for my next pickaxe and found a pretty massive vein of tin in a chunk that's supposed to have a ton of copper.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Are there any positives to settling / exploring a colder region than the default 'temperate'? Any noteworthy wild crops or like, anything at all?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I can't imagine wanting to go south to warm climes, half the point of the game for me involves harsh winters.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I agree, I'm thinking about moving north as a difficulty slider, but it would be cool if there were juniper or cloudberries or something.

edit: Half the point of this game for me personally is as a winter simulator as (until recently, thanks Texas power grid) winter has been mostly a hypothetical, and I genuinely don't know if there's much good up north beyond maple syrup, and poo poo I recognize from Skyrim.

navelgazing: A cool challenge run might be just planning to go to the southern arctic in a year or so. Hmmmm.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 24, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

For essential mods I'd recommend Carry on, which lets you move full containers and aforementioned Prospector info (which saves your propick results on the map). Hudclock is also nice and handy.

Otherwise we found that panning just ordinary sand was way easier to get first copper that running around for it, but it might be down to luck (and your copper rate setting). Copper and the saw especially really opens up the game since you can make so much new stuff with planks, including big storage chests.

I wish the Anvil metal recovery mod would be update but apparently it's very buggy with 1.18 which is a shame since it seems very useful getting back those missed metal voxels while smithing. Auto map marker is another one where it just crashes when talking to a trader, otherwise I'd use that one.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 24, 2023

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

I added Primitive Survival and Expanded Foods/Culinary Artillery mods. They have so far been fun adds, though primitive survival seems more apt to provide an even easier time of getting nutrition. Weir traps for fish are easy mode.

My last world I got really used to a lot of the stuff included in Expanded Foods, but it's not compatible with 1.18 yet and I wanted to start up a new world there so missing it right now, though loaded a bunch of other mods in to play around with.

In my new world I spawned right next to a herd of goats and a herd of pigs, so I rushed to make a bunch of rough fence to keep them in. Guess I'm settling at spawn unless I feel like herding them all later.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

metasynthetic posted:

Yeah, it's kind of weird where the base game draws the line on immersion/realism sometimes. (Like, say, loving sticks.) Fortunately, mods exist to address almost every little pet peeve, at least for mine.

I initially didn't get the stick crafting mod but the first time I had to scour the floor for sticks I spent 5 minutes then save/quit and installed that mod and that definitely seems like the less annoying option. So cheers!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

TeaJay posted:

Once you reach copper age, using the wrench to rotate any block is a heavensent.

I wish I'd known that 100 hours ago :unsmith:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

KariOhki posted:

My last world I got really used to a lot of the stuff included in Expanded Foods, but it's not compatible with 1.18 yet and I wanted to start up a new world there so missing it right now, though loaded a bunch of other mods in to play around with.

In my new world I spawned right next to a herd of goats and a herd of pigs, so I rushed to make a bunch of rough fence to keep them in. Guess I'm settling at spawn unless I feel like herding them all later.

Ha lol I didn’t even check versions but it’s been working fine so far? I’ve updated to latest VS 1.18.2 as well

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

Ha lol I didn’t even check versions but it’s been working fine so far? I’ve updated to latest VS 1.18.2 as well

I'm on 1.18.1 (latest stable showing on my dashboard), maybe it clashed with another mod, but disabling that one which was the only one that hadn't been updated or confirmed working in its comments got the world to gen.

I kind of have a lot of mods stacked in now since I spent ~55 hours in a vanilla world and ~70 in a lightly modded one...Wildcraft not pictured since it's just off the bottom of the list

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I wish I could go grab screenshots if I still had the save. So you can kind of see the stairs up, those are on the left of the fireplace (if you’re facing it) and wrap up behind it, with the landing for the loft being on the right of the fireplace. The basement with the cellar has a door almost directly under that, and the stairs beyond that door go down behind from right to left behind the fireplace and double back slightly so that the cellar is still under the house. There was another door down there just to make sure the cellar room didn’t get too large by including the stair space, but I’m not sure if it was necessary or not.

Well, I asked because I was definitely inspired by your house, but I may have gone a bit overboard with the size... because it'so high, I had to make an absurdly large chimney and all. Still, makes good room for a loft bed for a visiting friend and higher bookshelves!

The crafting area is still underway, as you can see.

My first hut will probably serve as my juice/wine and later alcohol production base.

After the animal husbandry disaster last time, my current animal pen is now just a hole in the ground. (last time bears kept spawning inside my drat lamb house and eating all my lambs constantly, even when it was a closed and well lit structure)

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I like the game but I keep bouncing off of it because of what feels like crappy mapgen. Like, I spawn and run around and it’s just a bunch of jagged cliffs everywhere and a fair amount of jank. For example, I swam across a body of water and there were dozens of mini peaks jutting up everywhere.

What mapgen settings do people use, and is there any way to tweak them into making a pleasant world with interesting but not wild terrain?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ruggan posted:

I like the game but I keep bouncing off of it because of what feels like crappy mapgen. Like, I spawn and run around and it’s just a bunch of jagged cliffs everywhere and a fair amount of jank. For example, I swam across a body of water and there were dozens of mini peaks jutting up everywhere.

What mapgen settings do people use, and is there any way to tweak them into making a pleasant world with interesting but not wild terrain?

I just started last night and didn't change any settings, hit random a couple times on the seed but it dropped me in a forest with lakes and caves and some nearby plains and really nothing janky about it. Maybe just try generating a new one from scratch?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

KariOhki posted:

I'm on 1.18.1 (latest stable showing on my dashboard), maybe it clashed with another mod, but disabling that one which was the only one that hadn't been updated or confirmed working in its comments got the world to gen.

I kind of have a lot of mods stacked in now since I spent ~55 hours in a vanilla world and ~70 in a lightly modded one...Wildcraft not pictured since it's just off the bottom of the list

Lol doh, I was thinking 2nd stable release instead of it being .0 to .1

The major one from that list I don’t have is wildcraft and hide/fabric.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ruggan posted:

There are some word gen mods you could try

https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/5927
https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/4522

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

The major one from that list I don’t have is wildcraft and hide/fabric.

I tried a few combinations including reducing down to only Expanded Foods + Culinary Artillery and worldgen still continued to crash. I can live without it until it's got an update, it's just a learning curve in a backwards way to go back to no redmeat in meals and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Expanded Foods does work (at least for me and some other people that have posted in the mods' comment section), but you may have to try an older version of the Culinary Artillery mod. I'm using the latest of both and it works fine, I get occasional crashes, but that's from something else I haven't pinned down. I didn't add it until after worldgen though.

Here's my modlist. I turned off PEI because it was causing glitchy behavior, and Better Ruins because I decided I preferred vanilla ruins after all after my first world generated a straight up castle within sight of spawn. I couldn't get Teleportation Network to not crash on load.

Ruggan posted:

I don't care for the new mapgen either, I had the same problem with tons of small, jagged, high density hills / cliffs everywhere. I set the upheaval rate to minimum which seemed to help, but I still had to reroll maps around 5 times before I found one where travel wasn't going to be a chore. I would have just tried one of the mods GG linked instead, but I didn't know about them until after I already settled in.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 24, 2023