Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
There's a lovely travelling funfair that visits a local park in my town and it's pretty much Witchyworld in all but name.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I love Witchyworld. :allears:

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Hmm, I think the reason that lock took so many shots, is cause you had to hit the keyhole, rather than the lock itself. The idea being that you destroy the lock from the inside. Your first 2 shots hit the lock on the outside.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This world is good and also the inflection point between "just complex enough" and "too complex" IMO. Like if all of the worlds were as complicated as this one I think this game would be remembered better.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Someone was definitely giggling when they named that evil Jinjo.

Look up the definition of "minge"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So fun fact about the grenade eggs. You can just walk up and immediately grab them after the fire eggs and if you take them back you can bust up all kinds of things with them. Like in mayhem temple you technically only need the statue to wade through the Swamp to the jiggy way in the sky, everything else it smashed can be smashed with grenade eggs instead. They're enough fun to fiddle with that there's only one other egg type I really bothered messing with. It fits that the best eggs got matched with the best level.

(Missed thing)Also, if none of you realized it later, you should go to the footage at the very end there and look up. Its nothing run critical, but it will show up on the totals screen.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I haven't yet watched the video but I wanted to let you know that the episode title already disturbs me greatly

:golfclap:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh wow, those hoops are actual 3D objects with collision and everything! Not just sprites that always face the camera so you can't tell whether you're going through them or not! Donkey Kong 64!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Now that I watched I'm no longer disturbed.

Also that transformation looks great for catharsis. Just running over everything in your way and not giving a drat about damaging terrain (but hills are now your nemesis).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Chalk me up as another person who didn't get that groundpound is a different move from the drill. Honestly, that whole thing is unintuitive. It doesn't work like the thing it's emulating at all!

Also, I think the game would be significantly better if after you killed them once, Minjos would shut the gently caress up!

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Regarding that discussion of height at about 24:00. I'm pretty sure the answer to all that is, Banjo is actually a shrimp of a bear. Banjo is supposed to be a brown honey bear, which are an average of 6-7 feet tall when standing. if that's Banjos height, then Kazooie is like 5-6 ft, and Bottles would have been 5ft at least. Humba would have been a 9-10 ft amazon, and Mr. and Mrs. Boggy would have been like 15-20 ft. (all rough guesses, no math done.)

Needless to say those sizes seem a bit silly. If the Boggy's are only about 8ft like most polar bears, then Humba could be about 5 ft. and Banjo would be more 3-4 ft. which might go a ways to explain why everything in these games seems so big to him. This also means I don't haver to imagine Kazooie being the Size of a young Chocobo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Banjo by himself does have a couple of important mobility advantages over Kazooie: he can climb, and he can hang onto ledges and clamber around on those, neither of which Kazooie can do.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

stryth posted:

Regarding that discussion of height at about 24:00. I'm pretty sure the answer to all that is, Banjo is actually a shrimp of a bear. Banjo is supposed to be a brown honey bear, which are an average of 6-7 feet tall when standing.

He's meant to be a honey bear, but that refers to a few different species: American Black Bear, Malaysian Sun Bear, and Indian Sloth Bear. I've sen a few people say he's meant to be a sun bear: they're the smallest bears and are about 4.5-5 foot high.

(Really, though, I don't think he's meant to correlate to a real bear, black, sun or otherwise, in the same way that Kazooie is a fictional species of bird. He's a honey bear because they used honey as the health power-up.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, you may be more familiar with the Malaysian Sun Bear than you think.

His name is Ernst and he was born at the Berlin Zoo, but now I think he's moved to Prague.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 23, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I do not understand the connection between "theme park" and "armored truck" but it is indeed extremely satisfying to run over every enemy you encounter.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

C-Euro posted:

I do not understand the connection between "theme park" and "armored truck" but it is indeed extremely satisfying to run over every enemy you encounter.

An armored car takes the cash from visitors buying entry tickets and concessions to the bank at the end of the day. It's a bit of a stretch compared to something like a costumed character transformation, but there's some logic behind it.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I used to use the split up pads to split them up and I'd try to see how far in the level I could get as Kazooie. Witchyworld is so much fun. I used to wonder "What exactly did Grunty do to get the park closed?"

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

C-Euro posted:

Grunty wants your money, HER armored cars probably have goons who hop out and shake down the visitors. but the place is supposed to be closed so they're all at home.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 25, 2023

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
You linked to the previous video.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Violet_Sky posted:

I used to use the split up pads to split them up and I'd try to see how far in the level I could get as Kazooie. Witchyworld is so much fun. I used to wonder "What exactly did Grunty do to get the park closed?"

Pride parade.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hippocrass posted:

You linked to the previous video.

:argh:

Fixed it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I love the mileage that Rare got out of that one burp sound clip across their entire N64 library. It's the Wilhelm scream of Rare.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
If I was enterprising and also not stupid I would make this a soundclip.

I'd also figure out how to embed youtube clips.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxJONGyrJZbkAFov7THgIjbL6mx34OoUCe

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Mmm, that Saucer of Peril score.

Love it.

Mostly 'cause I'm not the one playing.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Oh dear, oh dear oh dear oh dear. That is.. a score.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That had to be painful to experience.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

drat, that's a kick in the pants. Hopefully it at least doesn't take too many more tries to get the Jiggy offscreen?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oh good, you got the cheat page in the cavern. That things a devil to find naturally. The cave is so dark you can barely see the grab ledge a lot of the time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't dislike the Mr. Patch fight, I just hate all of the noises that he makes.

Also three jeers for the person in the YT comments who spoiled your Saucer of Peril score, lol

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 30, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This was the boss fight that made me realize, as a kid, that the boss tracks were all action remixes of the level's main theme, just as Grunty's boss theme in B-K was a remix of the main Grunty's Lair music.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
That cavern ledge is another good reminder of videogaming's most oft-forgotten lesson: look up, including at all the walls.

There's a minigame in FFXIV called Air Force One that always reminds me of the Saucer of Peril; you're moving a lot slower in AFO, but the targets are randomly positioned and some of them are bad targets that lose you points.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 9, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I seem to recall it being pointed out before, but man, Honey B is so superfluous in this game.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Look, someone wanted to make a sexy bee woman, and they had to find something for her to do.

E: The two eggs you find in BK carts are the two that the 100% ending of B-K showed the locations of. There were obviously a lot of changes to their plans after releasing B-K, what with the ice key being originally planned for DK64 and most of the secret eggs going nowhere. The location unlock codes would probably have been in things like Nintendo Power or the B-T strategy guide.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 3, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think that the XBLA releases of BK and BT restore the "original" functionality of the eggs and key, in that you pick them up in BK and then your BT save file knows that you've previously collected them. I can't remember what it puts in place of the little BK cart pinatas though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I think that the XBLA releases of BK and BT restore the "original" functionality of the eggs and key, in that you pick them up in BK and then your BT save file knows that you've previously collected them. I can't remember what it puts in place of the little BK cart pinatas though.

They do do that, and they add spots for all the other secret eggs to Heggy's house. They unlock astonishingly lame xbox bullshit.