Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

Yeah, you dumb kid! This is what you get for thinking that grown man was serious all those times he flirted with you!

New Mary Worth can get really bad, but Old Mary Worth is... also really bad.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 19, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Are we supposed to know who Wendy is?

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I fear Wilbur's queueing up Right Said Fred (I'm too sexy) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQNDXjdsQHo

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Hippocrass posted:

Are we supposed to know who Wendy is?

According to Wikipedia and Comics Kingdom, Wendy Rommel used to be Rose's Assistant. Dethany (From On The Fastrack!) was introduced as Wendy Rommel's assistant. She's now married to Art Welding (The large guy whose job apparently is to look busy).

From the sparse information available, there do not appear to be any mutated animals in their family tree except for possibly the Moat Monster, who presumably is no longer head of Security now that Dethany's husband is.

Wikipedia also notes that the comics been running since 1984.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

maltesh posted:

According to Wikipedia and Comics Kingdom, Wendy Rommel used to be Rose's Assistant. Dethany (From On The Fastrack!) was introduced as Wendy Rommel's assistant. She's now married to Art Welding (The large guy whose job apparently is to look busy).

From the sparse information available, there do not appear to be any mutated animals in their family tree except for possibly the Moat Monster, who presumably is no longer head of Security now that Dethany's husband is.

Wikipedia also notes that the comics been running since 1984.

Wendy was the main character of the strip before Dethany came along, as it happens.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's extended Blueberry: Guess who comes to the "rescue"!, or All that we're missing is a freeze-frame high-five, or Oh, I'm sure your life will be just full of easy living from now on, young Blueberry!

and... that's it! Those were the adventures of Blueberry, from start to finish. I was unfortunately not able to find the adventures of young Blueberry, maybe some time in the future... but we shall see (esp re. Imgur's recent hoo-haa - I did mark some of my collections as having nudity (since they DO have nudity) so I'd have to see if they get pulled off automatically. Maybe I should uncheck 'em and see if that lets them escape instant blocking)

So - how do I feel about this last story? Alas... it is, I would say, one of the more poorly-planned out stories, especially considering the quality of the stories we've experienced before. The setting is fine, and the overall plot is good BUT... Pastor Younger spontaneously changing appearance, Boone, Barretts, Ike and Virgil essentially disappearing into thin air with an expositionary word bubble, the set-up of a pursuit of Strawfield that just... gets ignored? I think the most egregious example is the date of death on Caroline Younger's headstone - going by the comic, she died AFTER the start of this story (July 1881, going by the date given at the start of Mister Blueberry) even though it is supposed to be in the past.

...BUT of course, the art is stellar. And it is still compelling, despite these very basic mistakes. A review of Blueberry's life during a fictional re-telling of the O.K. Corral incident as the setting of the last story... it holds. I'm glad I was able to present it to you all, and I hope you enjoyed it in turn.

It certainly helped with my Swedish! I now know all sorts of helpful and relevant words like 'skjutjarn' and 'guldgruvor' and... uh... well... maybe they weren't all that helpful. Still! I'm glad I did it! Thank you all for your time and attention.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Thank you for posting Blueberry! It was quite amazing and actually not the usual cowboy bullshit we expect from movies and all.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Predictions? I'm gonna go with I Will Survive.

Is this post Wilbur going overboard? Because if so, my vote is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m3CMTeo-nU

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 24, 2023

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Kavak posted:

Wait am I misreading this or is KAL 007 now part of the plot?

More like the worldbuilding than the plot. The Comics Journal piece linked upthread discussed a lot of the general nationalist anger of the era and this is just a fairly specific and topical example of that. Absurd as the idea may sound today, South Korea's lack of agency in international affairs was considered during the dictatorial era to be evidence that South Korea wasn't actually a sovereign power. Universities were also widely seen as a means of changing that status quo, which is why they were so central to the democratization movement.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 20, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I'd wear that t-shirt.

Samovar posted:

In today's extended Blueberry: Guess who comes to the "rescue"!, or All that we're missing is a freeze-frame high-five, or Oh, I'm sure your life will be just full of easy living from now on, young Blueberry!

and... that's it! Those were the adventures of Blueberry, from start to finish. I was unfortunately not able to find the adventures of young Blueberry, maybe some time in the future... but we shall see (esp re. Imgur's recent hoo-haa - I did mark some of my collections as having nudity (since they DO have nudity) so I'd have to see if they get pulled off automatically. Maybe I should uncheck 'em and see if that lets them escape instant blocking)
Thank you for sharing it!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Samovar posted:

and... that's it! Those were the adventures of Blueberry, from start to finish

Thanks for doing this, even if I did stop reading them halfway because I'm planning on buying the collections myself. It was really good to see something that I had only seen referenced before and to get that actually it's pretty drat good most of the time.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I missed a couple threads and last I knew, Wilbur died from going overboard a cruise ship or something. And here I thought the strip was free from him. :(

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Mary Worth preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYNjL9_rCJc

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

amigolupus posted:

I missed a couple threads and last I knew, Wilbur died from going overboard a cruise ship or something. And here I thought the strip was free from him. :(
No he washed up on what turned out to be an inhabited island and didn't, like, contact anybody until he turned up back in santa royale.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Gonna miss the hell out of Blueberry. I came around to it late — about halfway through “Chihuahua Pearl” — but once it grabbed me it never let go. Even if, as you say, the last few stories were not the best, it was always entertaining, exciting, and lovely to look at. This thread isn’t going to be the same without it.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/22/03

Brenda Starr 11/2-4/50

Smokey Stover 3/28/54

Spoilered once again for stereotypical depiction in a background pun.

Everyday Movies 5/4/36

"I love the month of May with all its flowers and its five rent-collecting Saturdays."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/1-3/41

Selachian fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 23, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Samovar posted:

So - how do I feel about this last story? Alas... it is, I would say, one of the more poorly-planned out stories, especially considering the quality of the stories we've experienced before. The setting is fine, and the overall plot is good BUT... Pastor Younger spontaneously changing appearance, Boone, Barretts, Ike and Virgil essentially disappearing into thin air with an expositionary word bubble, the set-up of a pursuit of Strawfield that just... gets ignored? I think the most egregious example is the date of death on Caroline Younger's headstone - going by the comic, she died AFTER the start of this story (July 1881, going by the date given at the start of Mister Blueberry) even though it is supposed to be in the past.

...BUT of course, the art is stellar. And it is still compelling, despite these very basic mistakes. A review of Blueberry's life during a fictional re-telling of the O.K. Corral incident as the setting of the last story... it holds. I'm glad I was able to present it to you all, and I hope you enjoyed it in turn.

It certainly helped with my Swedish! I now know all sorts of helpful and relevant words like 'skjutjarn' and 'guldgruvor' and... uh... well... maybe they weren't all that helpful. Still! I'm glad I did it! Thank you all for your time and attention.

Thanks so much! It was one of my thread favourites through its whole run! Will you be happy to hear that it time-burgled from my sleep more than a few times? (can't go to bed! Not without reading the Blueberry that was just posted!)

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I can’t figure out what this thread is doing - are we reading all these comics day-by-day together? Are people just posting their favourite strips as they encounter them?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

comics

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

madmatt112 posted:

I can’t figure out what this thread is doing - are we reading all these comics day-by-day together? Are people just posting their favourite strips as they encounter them?

The point is, as you say, to read the comics together like some kind of digital newspaper comics page. People are sharing ones they think are interesting (not necessarily good) either daily for current ones or in batches if they are older. A bunch of people are actually translating comics from other languages to share, and some are digging through archive to share 100 year old ones. These are often the thread favourites, especially when they also provide some extra context.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

loving dope, favourited.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

How is everybody else handling the imgur situation? I just created an account, but I'm not sure I want stuff sitting on imgur going forward. Has anyone found a good alternative yet?

Nancy 1943

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Murdstone posted:

F Minus

Mary Worth

Predictions? I'm gonna go with I Will Survive.

Comedy option: Peanut Butter Jelly Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRBOgtp0Hac

manero
Jan 30, 2006

madmatt112 posted:

loving dope, favourited.

Don't forget to hate-read the bad ones, and try to find the sneaky edits!

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

manero posted:

Don't forget to hate-read the bad ones, and try to find the sneaky edits!

My wife loves Garfield, I’ve been hate-reading comics for a decade now :negative:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

years of day by day comics the best thread on SA hands down

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

madmatt112 posted:

you know the newspaper comics? it's that but an internet thread

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

we're cutting out the comics out of newspapers and pasting them into this thread.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Synthbuttrange posted:

we're cutting out the comics out of newspapers and pasting them into this thread.

You see, the thread is like a giant refrigerator door...

..and imgur is a serious of magnets that's going to stop working sometime next month.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (April 24, 1976)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire and the Curse of Tangaroa!

Popeye

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 23, 2023

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i am begging zits to shut up about AI

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

FoxTrot

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

:stare: Holy poo poo did I interpret that first panel wrong at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo did I interpret that first panel wrong at first.

:buddy: me too