Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

LMAO!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Radio?

Ew

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, but also :psyduck: at finding out new cassettes have been released this decade. And that's coming from someone whose car is old enough that I plug a cassette adapter into my phone to listen to stuff while driving. I get the appeal of vinyl, but cassette tapes were always wonky and terrible enough that I have no real nostalgia for them.

Very small indie bands sometimes release on cassette because they're very time consuming to pirate but cheaper to make than vinyl. There's also enough legacy equipment still around that they can be used.

Billie Eilish can gently caress off though, she's just trying to be a hipster.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Getting mad at Billie Eilish for releasing a cassette tape is something I like to do on a Saturday, too.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Jedit posted:

Very small indie bands sometimes release on cassette because they're very time consuming to pirate but cheaper to make than vinyl. There's also enough legacy equipment still around that they can be used.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Getting mad at Billie Eilish for releasing a cassette tape is something I like to do on a Saturday, too.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
She doesn’t even know Van Halen, I’m told this matters by other people who were supposedly also alive when Van Halen was on MTV.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Cassettes suck, lmao. Small indie bands? Release your poo poo on soundcloud or bandcamp. If you're hell-bent on releasing something physical, burning a CD is still the most cost-effective and reliable way to do that. Releasing something on cassettes in the past 10 years is never anything but a silly gimmick in hopes to get some free publicity.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Grassy Knowles posted:

when Van Halen was on MTV.

What, did they have a reality show or something?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

flavor.flv posted:

What, did they have a reality show or something?

Maybe not yet, but Hot for Teacher will air just as soon as somebody finds a jurisdiction it’s legal to film it in.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I like the form and haptics of casettes but the actual quality sucked rear end, they should make like, idk, digital casettes or something.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I've only used AE for weed gear and last year I spent $80 on a bong for the shack I boiled maple syrup in. 18" beaker, thick boro, US made equivalents are $2-300 in shops here.

The bong survived two falls from above the door onto a wood floor without breaking and only finally died when the fuckin shack burned to the god drat ground end of last month, so, pretty strong boro.

E: this shows up on my insurance claim as "lab grade glassware", at the moment.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

therattle posted:

I love all forms of sesame oil. All forms of sesame, for that matter. Seeds, tahini, halva, oil…

DekeThornton posted:

An open sesame policy.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

I like the form and haptics of casettes but the actual quality sucked rear end, they should make like, idk, digital casettes or something.

Magnetic tape is still used for data storage due to its stability and longevity.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Magnetic tape is still used for data storage due to its stability and longevity.

Yeah but when the sun consumes our planet the radiation will still ruin the tapes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

That argument only makes sense if you assume that first, they exclusively release their music on tape, and second, that the pirates are also only dubbing it to tapes, which I don't think is true on either count.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Outrail posted:

Yeah but when the sun consumes our planet the radiation will still ruin the tapes.

Welp, back to the drawing board.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Welp, back to the drawing board.

Maybe we should do marble blocks

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Jedit posted:

lol imagine making this post.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Complaining about Hipsters in 2023 is like complaining about grunge rockers in 2005.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

At least complaining about Mods will never get old

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
neither will the people they're creeping on

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Yeah. Someone in the data center industry was telling me that regular backups to magnetic tape is almost always recommended as part of an anti-ransomware strategy

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FreudianSlippers posted:

Complaining about Hipsters in 2023 is like complaining about grunge rockers in 2005.
I'm just so sick of all these flaming youths and jive turkeys.

e:

canyoneer posted:

Yeah. Someone in the data center industry was telling me that regular backups to magnetic tape is almost always recommended as part of an anti-ransomware strategy
I was on short term contract somewhere when they got hit by ransomware. Everyone middle management and higher was freaking out and by the time they calmed down enough to ask the actual techs for solutions we were all "what are you talking about, we junked the compromised machine and started a restore on the servers hours ago"

Can't remotely access a tape in a locked drawer :shrug:

Splicer has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Apr 23, 2023

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Sapozhnik posted:

neither will the people they're creeping on

:eyepop:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Philippe posted:

Maybe we should do marble blocks

Do you... do you think rock meltn't?

Because let me tell you about what the floor is (it'll blow you're mind!)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Son of Rodney posted:

They did! It was even backwards compatible with analog cassettes

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

haveblue posted:

Probably failed because it looks like a generic slab of technology, rather than clunkily distinctive like analog ones.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Idk, still kinda looks cool to me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I loosely remember cassette tape-shaped devices you could plug into car tape players with an audio jack in so you could plug them into your MP3 player or whatever.

Reminded of the last Extra Punctuation that has Yahtzee ramble a bit about hardware and nostalgia, and his own experience back when computer games came on tapes has a whole lot of personal memories and nostalgia he's well aware nobody who isn't terminally nostalgic for that poo poo is going to find it anything but ridiculous. See also the sound of CD drives and VHS front-loaders, the Windows login sounds of various eras and the noise of a computer booting up, etc etc.

Heh, also reminded of some reason for launch and transformation sequences in TV shows, which goes all the way back to Thunderbirds. Good ol' Gerry Anderson knew his poo poo.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I have several hundred noise cassettes. A large number of artists I follow pretty much only release music digitally and on cassette. Cassettes own and I'll die on this hill.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Last time I was at my mum's house, I found a relic of my childhood - a tape of disco remix christmas songs that near as I can tell exists no-where on the internet.

I need to find someone with a tape player so I can digitise it.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

from the RimWorld thread:

buglord posted:

I like how trying to sterilize a horse can result in grievous neck, head, and hoof wounds. Just what exactly where you aiming for?

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i thought they just took away his star

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

UwUnabomber posted:

I have several hundred noise cassettes. A large number of artists I follow pretty much only release music digitally and on cassette. Cassettes own and I'll die on this hill.

Username/ post combo

Bluh
Dec 28, 2012

UwUnabomber posted:

Empty quote

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

haveblue posted:

Wow, that's neat! The time between analogue and digital was wild.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

Well, at least I wasn't doing it before it was cool.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Plenty of new cassettes being made to the point where it's not getting anybody any gimmick publicity. It's weird but makes sense if you aren't thinking solely of convenience.

Yes, people in 2023 don't buy physical music of any kind for convenience, and most likely not for fidelity, but it supports the artist more than streaming the album for like 10,000 years, doesn't depend on the internet and some tech company and your credit card autopayment to exist, and can sit on your bookshelf forever as a little thing with art on it too.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Plenty of new cassettes being made to the point where it's not getting anybody any gimmick publicity. It's weird but makes sense if you aren't thinking solely of convenience.

Yes, people in 2023 don't buy physical music of any kind for convenience, and most likely not for fidelity, but it supports the artist more than streaming the album for like 10,000 years, doesn't depend on the internet and some tech company and your credit card autopayment to exist, and can sit on your bookshelf forever as a little thing with art on it too.

Plenty is a huge stretch. Again, if you want a physical release, you do CDs. There is no practical reason to release music on tape in TYOOL 2023.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Paladinus posted:

There is no practical reason to release music on tape in TYOOL 2023.

Cassettes are still masters for plenty of artists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'll repeat again. There is no practical reason to release music on tape in TYOOL 2023.

E: It's not an awful gimmick, there is some charm to it, just like when new Commodore or Speccy games are released on tape or floppies, but it's not practical at all.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Apr 23, 2023