Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

the US will be 330 million ghosts within 100 years and broke after we export all the USD out to fringe nations...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
feel like no one's even taking the bait with the debt ceiling stuff this time around

too tired to go through the motions

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mola Yam posted:

feel like no one's even taking the bait with the debt ceiling stuff this time around

that's right, who cares. got 99 other problems instead

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mola Yam posted:

don't worry NPR's Left Right and Center had a guy who wanted to know why biden wasn't working to meet republicans in the middle

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

anime was right posted:

every single one of these AI articles reads like this poo poo:

Here's my zero effort alternative:

"NFTs: The next great leap forwards in AI enhanced money laundering"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
why hasnt joe biden banned tiktok already?? what's the hold up

git er done joe

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the beeple artist was purposely being pumped up by some crypto fat cat for auction at christie’s to build legitimacy and a media profile for the NFT art market, so he could further scam naïve rubes for much more than his wash trade buying beeples art for himself

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

mawarannahr posted:

the notion of fungible PTO that you can donate or exchange, that you are allowed or even encourage to donate to a coworker who has run down their own days due to illness, is incredible

I regularly get work emails asking for PTO donations for emergency contributions, maybe once every other month

my company is a nonprofit lol

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Not a Children posted:

I regularly get work emails asking for PTO donations for emergency contributions, maybe once every other month

my company is a nonprofit lol
this should be illegal

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Are PTO donations normal? That's so loving weird.

In tech we avoid the issue entirely by having "unlimited PTO" that is politically fraught to use too much of, so in short, completely different and arguably worse problems, yay

Hoot going crazy was not on my bingo card.

The most hosed up part is that despite some whinging and general razzing of his modding, he had been largely accepted. Does anyone know what pushed him over the edge?

It's just sad. It's such a huge self own. But I guess given his recent behavior, he really was the wrong person for the job.

Feel better Hoot :(

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
All of the hassle of modding, no ability to do more than give your critics 6-hour holidays?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1650452753481695235?t=s8gxXeBQzwte5W9ei3WSiw&s=19

Mola Yam posted:

Debt limit season hasn't begun. We have like 5-6 weeks still.
https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1650453583475752962?t=HfQE7jwv7u0uB2yTmMoKDg&s=19

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Xaris posted:

why hasnt joe biden banned tiktok already?? what's the hold up

git er done joe

Thread title

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

This rules

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG
It’s so awesome knowing that McCarthy will absolutely take us over the cliff and even if he tries to negotiate something the hardliners will immediately throw him out

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Bloggedbyrain_/status/1650177244478709766?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's pretty cool that all the economic arguments for what will or won't solve the housing crisis doesn't even reckon with the problem that anyone constructing new homes is going to be building shoddy deathtraps

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's pretty cool that all the economic arguments for what will or won't solve the housing crisis doesn't even reckon with the problem that anyone constructing new homes is going to be building shoddy deathtraps

all of whatever those guys said plus death penalty for executives of homebuilding corps who end up killing anyone

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I've often wondered how house go up is going to square with construction that falls over in 10 years

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

cool av posted:

all of whatever those guys said plus death penalty for executives of homebuilding corps who end up killing anyone

Do you mean medals for all the brave capitalists who found ways to be more efficient?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Acelerion posted:

I've often wondered how house go up is going to square with construction that falls over in 10 years

Planned obsolescence makes number go up faster

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Taima posted:

In tech we avoid the issue entirely by having "unlimited PTO" that is politically fraught to use too much of, so in short, completely different and arguably worse problems, yay

The most hosed up part is that despite some whinging and general razzing of his modding, he had been largely accepted. Does anyone know what pushed him over the edge?

It's just sad. It's such a huge self own. But I guess given his recent behavior, he really was the wrong person for the job.

I hope it wasn’t me telling him to shut the gently caress up about fortnite

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xVodkE47aLw&t=4s&pp=ygUOZml2ZSBvdmVyIG9uZXM%3D

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

improving density with lovely rear end wood and petroleum tinderboxes where I can hear every single thing each of my neighbors does. used to hear my neighbor lift their lid and start pissing in the middle of the night in one of those crappy five over ones

e: ^ lol

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's nothing new about this. Id actually bet that the average or median 80s or 90s built house is much worse than this. The modern shitpiles are more likely to have better electrical and roof drainage.

And if you go older? https://constructionphysics.substack.com/p/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-mobile-home

quote:

At one point mobile home units were around 50% of the number of single family homes built.

The 70s, we were building 600,000 mobile homes a year. Tons of those 70s mobile homes got put on foundations and people have done additions to them and they are hiding among site-built houses like a landmine for future buyers.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Acelerion posted:

house goes up, house goes down. you can’t explain that.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

canada on day 6 of a strike

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/public-service-union-strike-day-6-pickets-target-locations-with-more-impact-1.6368092

quote:

OTTAWA -

One of Canada's largest labour disruptions has entered a sixth day as the union representing thousands of striking public-service workers looks to hamper access to ports.

The Public Service Alliance of Canada says more than 100,000 of its staff remain on strike, some of whom will move their picket lines today to strategic locations more likely to have an impact on the federal government.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Thread title

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Mr Hootington posted:

Thread title

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ikanreed posted:

Planned obsolescence makes number go up faster

I remember reading David Ricardo in what must have been 2018 and coming to the conclusion that if one were running a business, that you would have to treat your [dead] capital as an amortized, on-going expense from day 1, with the intent of having it "paid back" by the time the warranty runs out, or by the time you expect the thing to break

that is, if you buy a 10,000 dollar bakery oven (or however much such a thing costs), and it has an expected lifespan of five years, then you'd need to account for a cost of 167.00 dollars a month, so that you'd have the cost of the thing socked away and can replace it exactly five years later (and adjusting for however much the price of a new oven is going to be by that time)

this is obviously not a novel idea, but then I started looking at it from the other side and none of it made sense: if you're a manufacturer of... electric fans, eventually you're going to hit a point where everyone in your reach who might foreseeably want an electric fan already has one, and if your fans are built to last, then people are just going to stop buying fans, because they already have one, and the only other sales you'll get to make are people replacing their fans once they break... but that's not enough sales to make your firm sustainable

you could expand your market by beating the competition and increasing your reach to more people who don't yet have fans, but that's still going to hit a wall eventually

you could diversify by making more than just the one product, but same thing - the inescapable logic is that everyone who will ever want your product will already have it, and then what?

and I know that what I'm essentially describing is The Tendency for the Rate of Profit to Fall, and in turn explains the capitalist logic of planned obsolescence and the conversion of everything into X As A Service, but like... and then what???

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

There's nothing new about this. Id actually bet that the average or median 80s or 90s built house is much worse than this. The modern shitpiles are more likely to have better electrical and roof drainage.

And if you go older? https://constructionphysics.substack.com/p/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-mobile-home

The 70s, we were building 600,000 mobile homes a year. Tons of those 70s mobile homes got put on foundations and people have done additions to them and they are hiding among site-built houses like a landmine for future buyers.

Those prefab "small" homes that are super modern and only like 800-1000 sq ft look nice and makes you go "aha! A prefab home built in a factory! It must be dirt cheap and the solution to our housing woes!" And then you see like "starting in the $400's". Same with "3D printed" homes, those are a huge grift and won't go anywhere.

I know its probably a volume thing but it always pissed me off that they charged that much when they're basically bougie trailer homes and trailer homes themselves cost as much as what a starter home did in the 90's.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Uh oh
https://twitter.com/barronsonline/status/1650223141954764800?t=QS5DKsBR7t75ryGnrMQpwA&s=19

ACTUALLY THIS IS GOOD
https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1650481733345714179?t=gEbtXKJvCYrI020yNVDR7g&s=19

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Taima posted:

Calling Tay Tay a class traitor was the last straw

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I remember reading David Ricardo in what must have been 2018 and coming to the conclusion that if one were running a business, that you would have to treat your [dead] capital as an amortized, on-going expense from day 1, with the intent of having it "paid back" by the time the warranty runs out, or by the time you expect the thing to break

that is, if you buy a 10,000 dollar bakery oven (or however much such a thing costs), and it has an expected lifespan of five years, then you'd need to account for a cost of 167.00 dollars a month, so that you'd have the cost of the thing socked away and can replace it exactly five years later (and adjusting for however much the price of a new oven is going to be by that time)

this is obviously not a novel idea, but then I started looking at it from the other side and none of it made sense: if you're a manufacturer of... electric fans, eventually you're going to hit a point where everyone in your reach who might foreseeably want an electric fan already has one, and if your fans are built to last, then people are just going to stop buying fans, because they already have one, and the only other sales you'll get to make are people replacing their fans once they break... but that's not enough sales to make your firm sustainable

you could expand your market by beating the competition and increasing your reach to more people who don't yet have fans, but that's still going to hit a wall eventually

you could diversify by making more than just the one product, but same thing - the inescapable logic is that everyone who will ever want your product will already have it, and then what?

and I know that what I'm essentially describing is The Tendency for the Rate of Profit to Fall, and in turn explains the capitalist logic of planned obsolescence and the conversion of everything into X As A Service, but like... and then what???

doesn't matter, for every manufacturer/producer D, E, or F, there's a number of board of directors at conglomerates X, Y, and Z and they dictate/manipulate what A does so that B or C can sell more(or in reverse), and then when it all collapses there's financial capital L, M, A, or O to pick up the pieces, lay off everyone (some people die because of this but that's OK), and start the horrid process over.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Acelerion posted:

Just like the superstonk scams going around now, house value shoots up into the stratosphere right until it collapses and some bagholder is left with nothing

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Justin Tyme posted:

Those prefab "small" homes that are super modern and only like 800-1000 sq ft look nice and makes you go "aha! A prefab home built in a factory! It must be dirt cheap and the solution to our housing woes!" And then you see like "starting in the $400's". Same with "3D printed" homes, those are a huge grift and won't go anywhere.

I know its probably a volume thing but it always pissed me off that they charged that much when they're basically bougie trailer homes and trailer homes themselves cost as much as what a starter home did in the 90's.

I think that a large part of this is a volume problem. New mobile homes are way, way better than old ones, but volumes remain pretty low because there's so few places that allow them and we've done everything we can to prevent people from putting houses on land anyway.

Mobile homes are basically the only way the US can add cheap single family homes. If you hate single family homes then we could also start building a ton of fourplexes and five-over-one apartments or something, but I honestly think that if we loosened land restrictions the mobile home builders could scale up and higher volumes would let them cut prices. Policy is the main reason you can't buy an acceptable house for $200k.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

These are from the PBS documentary Owned, from in and around Las Vegas at the peak of the 2007-2008 bubble for new construction:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Home prices are the central, load-bearing scam of our country. Cheap homes are an existential threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

anime was right posted:

one of the coolest things trump did was make it so IRAs for people that were like 60ish when he did the new tax law didnt have to sell all their poo poo in 10 years but anyone who is effectively a millennial inheriting an IRA has to sell it all in 10 years period, which greatly reduces the amount of money you can make on it.

Is this true for QDROs, too? Will my horrible ex wife be forced to reckon with "her" new IRA in 9 years? Because I might have to warn her set a reminder to buy popcorn.