Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Oakland has been getting screwed hard for a long time lol. Just one L after another. Sad to see & pisses me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
For some reason a bunch of “world music” dancers and performers lived up there. Used to buy them southwest tix for like $50 to come play shows in LA. Simpler times.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
i dont really follow football or baseball but isn't this a pot calling the kettle black situation or was the raiders move somehow full of good vibes
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-owner-mark-davis-rips-athletics-for-potential-move-to-las-vegas-all-they-did-was-f-the-bay-area/

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

idiotsavant posted:

My street in Oakland has been actively disintegrating for the past 3 years or so. Like multiple blown out 6+” deep potholes disintegrating. Like you don’t really want to drive down it disintegrating, and when you do you don’t go faster than MAYBE 10 mph. gently caress the greedy rear end Oakland A’s. I was a fan since I was a kid, and they’ve been playing stupid handouts-for-billionaires grabass for at least a decade or two without even a pretense of caring for the fans. Good loving riddance.

Roads up here the same except the disintegration only took 3 months. At least I have optimism they’ll get repaired.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

idiotsavant posted:

My street in Oakland has been actively disintegrating for the past 3 years or so. Like multiple blown out 6+” deep potholes disintegrating. Like you don’t really want to drive down it disintegrating, and when you do you don’t go faster than MAYBE 10 mph. gently caress the greedy rear end Oakland A’s. I was a fan since I was a kid, and they’ve been playing stupid handouts-for-billionaires grabass for at least a decade or two without even a pretense of caring for the fans. Good loving riddance.

The Oakland public works department is a loving mess. They do, however, have a repaving plan (https://www.oaklandca.gov/projects/20225yp) you can look at and see if/where your street is on it.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

When I say I’ll miss the A’s, I don’t mean I’ll miss the owners.

Yeah they used to be such a scrappy, fun team to watch. It just gets incredibly tiresome when you know that ownership will never go the distance and put the effort/money into making a winning team and also is constantly threatening to bail unless Oakland gives in and gives them primo property rights and hundreds of millions of dollars in tax breaks etc

Xenix posted:

The Oakland public works department is a loving mess. They do, however, have a repaving plan (https://www.oaklandca.gov/projects/20225yp) you can look at and see if/where your street is on it.

its due sometime in the far future; the current local block plan is to just bombard the reporting website with as many complaints as possible

Smythe posted:

For some reason a bunch of “world music” dancers and performers lived up there. Used to buy them southwest tix for like $50 to come play shows in LA. Simpler times.

Afaik there's still a lot of shared communal warehouse/loft/industrial type alternative living spaces in the East Bay, esp Berkeley, Oakland, Emeryville? where you can find a less expensive place to stay & get in where you fit in.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 24, 2023

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

For what it’s worth, I feel like Oakland didn’t get screwed in the a’s moving. They stood up to stadium/sports team extortion and these are the consequences, but it’s better than the alternative imo.

Even the original stadium deal wasn’t the worst, in that it’s half owned by the county. I hope this completely tanks the jack London square plan though because that poo poo was always a bad idea and a waste of space.

Oakland should elevate the roots and pivot into a better team for local spirit.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

El Mero Mero posted:

For what it’s worth, I feel like Oakland didn’t get screwed in the a’s moving. They stood up to stadium/sports team extortion and these are the consequences, but it’s better than the alternative imo.

Even the original stadium deal wasn’t the worst, in that it’s half owned by the county. I hope this completely tanks the jack London square plan though because that poo poo was always a bad idea and a waste of space.

Oakland should elevate the roots and pivot into a better team for local spirit.

I'm hoping we get that rumored WNBA team.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Aren't sports teams at this point basically proven to be a net negative for areas that host them? Like they claim it brings tourism and stuff to boost local economy, but because of how stadiums are funded and stuff it actually ends up mostly raising taxes/taking taxes away from stuff like schools and roads, while actually only very minorly providing any benefit to the businesses surrounding the stadium?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

KittyEmpress posted:

Aren't sports teams at this point basically proven to be a net negative for areas that host them? Like they claim it brings tourism and stuff to boost local economy, but because of how stadiums are funded and stuff it actually ends up mostly raising taxes/taking taxes away from stuff like schools and roads, while actually only very minorly providing any benefit to the businesses surrounding the stadium?

this is kind of the problem with running a society like a business, when everything is reduced to a cost-benefit analysis, there’s no room for social considerations

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Centrist Committee posted:

this is kind of the problem with running a society like a business, when everything is reduced to a cost-benefit analysis, there’s no room for social considerations
Social costs are part of that analysis which is why stadiums are bad.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
there’s nothing wrong with the stadium lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
One of the social considerations though is that a stadium means a professional sports team, which is both an entertainment product and (generally) a component of a community's pride and bonding. Communities genuinely come together around their sports teams, even if those teams loving suck, lol. Even acknowledging that John Fisher sucks, and the A's are bad, and their stadium is bad, there is still something tangible being lost for the community in losing their baseball team.

KittyEmpress posted:

I think it varies wildly based on the location and agreements the local government has in place with the team ownership, as well as who's on the hook for funding and maintaining the stadium. Is some outlying suburb/exurb getting hoodwinked into dropping hundreds of millions of tax dollars on a shiny new stadium disconnected from public transit that just brings in a bunch of car traffic and results in team ownership snapping up a bunch of local businesses to funnel local economic profits towards themselves a net negative for the area? Yeah, absolutely. On the flipside though is for example Oracle Park: a stadium funded entirely by the team ownership and private investment partners, right in the heart of a major US city and connected to public transit, a net negative for San Francisco? I really doubt it is. I guess SF did pay for some local infrastructure upgrades to accommodate the location, but a huge component of that was expanding the Muni which is is an actual good use of tax dollars, so :shrug:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There are so many better ways to provide a sense of community than giving billions and billions and billions of dollars to billionaires who own sports teams.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah FWIW I'm not saying Oakland should have forked over a bunch of money for a shiny new stadium to keep the A's in town, they absolutely should not have done that. But it does still suck that they're losing their last major sports team, and there is a tangible impact to a community in having vs not having a team or teams to root for.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

jokes posted:

There are so many better ways to provide a sense of community than giving billions and billions and billions of dollars to billionaires who own sports teams.

im saying billionaires shouldn’t exist let alone be allowed to own sports teams and move them because they don’t like the stadium anymore

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I prefer to criticize on the basis that, as with everything, the billionaires are the problem rather than l bother with cost-benefit analysis

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I've always wondered why cities that lose their teams and cities that have been on the waiting list for an expansion team for decades don't just form their own league. Why is there only one pro level league for each sport? Isn't that how soccer/football is in Europe?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The A's used to be "plucky" all right! :allears:

Look what that got them...still didn't stop them from getting shithoused by the Reds the year before, but at least they loving tried!

The Oakland Coliseum is a shithole and in fact, was barely decent even before the Mt. Davis monstrosity. Day on the Green in the late 80's early 90's was cool though. :rock:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 25, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Centrist Committee posted:

I prefer to criticize on the basis that, as with everything, the billionaires are the problem rather than l bother with cost-benefit analysis

Billionaires (or, rather, ultra-concentration of wealth into a small number of hands) is essentially the basis for almost every woe that humanity faces, including climate change, war, and geopolitical problems. As this truth relates to the Oakland A's, let us first consider the role of bread and games in the ancient Roman--

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The A's moving is good because maybe commentators can finally shut up about how much foul territory there is

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Family Values posted:

I've always wondered why cities that lose their teams and cities that have been on the waiting list for an expansion team for decades don't just form their own league. Why is there only one pro level league for each sport? Isn't that how soccer/football is in Europe?

Specifically to baseball, thanks to MLB's anti-trust exemption you cannot spin up a professional baseball team or league without MLB's explicit approval, and also even if they said yes at any time they can just co-opt you into being MLB-affiliated or just flat out dissolve you. The Battered Bastards of Baseball is a pretty good documentary that explains a lot of this as part of the story of MLB deciding they wanted to expand the minors into Portland and forced the then independent Portland Mavericks to disband to pave the way.

CPColin posted:

The A's moving is good because maybe commentators can finally shut up about how much foul territory there is

Third row seats down the line for $15 but you're so far back that really it's like being in the 13th row in any other park, quite an equilibrium.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
As a San Diego Chargers fan my whole life I was happy the city didn't cave to the shithead owners and give them a bunch of our money for a new stadium.

I'm sad not to have a team anymore, but gently caress greedy rich owners.

I also agree with the sentiment that a major sports team brings the community together and has many intangible benefits in that vein.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

aventari posted:

As a San Diego Chargers fan my whole life I was happy the city didn't cave to the shithead owners and give them a bunch of our money for a new stadium.

I'm sad not to have a team anymore, but gently caress greedy rich owners.

I also agree with the sentiment that a major sports team brings the community together and has many intangible benefits in that vein.

LA refuses to pay for new stadiums too. Guy built the most expensive stadium in history on his own cash.

though Inglewood I think kicked in some infrastructure so not completely

yikeseroo
Apr 17, 2023

by Hand Knit
you gotta understand that the gop in california will not vote on *Mod edit: snip nws image*

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 27, 2023

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
:o

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Summers started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw4NQm090oQ

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

California has too many golf courses. They are a total waste of land just so some rich people can have fun hitting a ball with a stick.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

I'm sorry, but scoring one stroke on hole two at five inches just isn't something to be proud of.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

KittyEmpress posted:

My brother is a PhD economist that looked into this. His conclusion was

1) Football stadiums are always a negative, even when the teams build them without taxpayer money. They take up too much land, have huge parking lots, and are used 8-11 days a year. If a suburb is trying to steal your football team, let them. Never give a team a single dollar to keep an empty concrete behemoth in your city.

2) Baseball parks can be a negative or a positive, depending on where they are located, how they are designed, whether they have mass transit access and limited parking, etc. They take up less space and used at least 81 days a year, and if run well can have concerts and other events that take them well over 100 days a year. This does generate economic activity and tax revenue. But they should be built by the team owner, and the city's involvement should be limited to providing the same level of infrastructure support that any other big project gets. In a rare circumstance it can be worth a slight investment of seed money in exchange for a higher cut of the proceeds/concessions, but not usually. Oracle Park in SF is a clear positive for SF. The Oakland Coliseum, surrounded by giant parking lots, is a negative for Oakland.

3) Basketball/hockey arenas are the best of the three. They take up the least space, and need the least parking. Most cities can find a place downtown to build them, so they have transit access and people can walk to them after work. With concerts, circuses, conventions, etc. they can be active over 200 days a year. Those arenas/teams are almost always a net positive for tax revenue. They are worth some city investment, but don't give away the farm to a greedy billionaire.

This is just his opinion, and your mileage may vary.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

did mister economist consider the objective superiority of football stadiums for monster truck shows??

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

predicto posted:

My brother is a PhD economist that looked into this. His conclusion was

1) Football stadiums are always a negative, even when the teams build them without taxpayer money. They take up too much land, have huge parking lots, and are used 8-11 days a year. If a suburb is trying to steal your football team, let them. Never give a team a single dollar to keep an empty concrete behemoth in your city.

Surely they're not just used for football though? They're also used for soccer teams and concerts.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Move the A’s into the Cow Palace. Sell exotic strains before the game, have a kid run the bases with Gravedigger for the 7th inning stretch

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Forgive me if this is old news but I just saw it

quote:

Gavin Newsom’s promise to appoint a Black woman if either of California’s U.S. Senate seats opened up
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-04-13/gov-gavin-newson-sen-dianne-feinstein-promise-to-appoint-a-black-woman

Can someone help me understand how is this not racism and sexism? If a company put in their job wanted ad for a position "[certain race] and [certain sex] only" that would be grounds for a slam dunk lawsuit under the equal opportunity employment act.

Not to mention he's preemptively freezing out great potential candidates like Schiff and Porter because of their skin color.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

aventari posted:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-04-13/gov-gavin-newson-sen-dianne-feinstein-promise-to-appoint-a-black-woman

Can someone help me understand how is this not racism and sexism? If a company put in their job wanted ad for a position "[certain race] and [certain sex] only" that would be grounds for a slam dunk lawsuit under the equal opportunity employment act.

Not to mention he's preemptively freezing out great potential candidates like Schiff and Porter because of their skin color.

it's not about race, it's about important caucuses in the democratic party

especially if you're planning a presidential bid

see: joe biden's political relationships re primaries in the south

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

aventari posted:

one difference that seems relevant to the equal opportunity employment act (i am not a lawyer) is he isn't seeking applications for employment

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Surely they're not just used for football though? They're also used for soccer teams and concerts.

Arena sized concerts are incredibly common. That 10-15k seats sold for one day of labor makes them the most common and easily profitable large show. The venue can do a basketball game on Thursday, swap the floor out, then have a concert on Friday, then another game on Saturday.

Stadium shows on the other hand require about a week of labor to turn a grass field into a safe stage setup, and covering the grass kills off or damages the turf. All to sell 30-50k tickets. Stadium shows or tours are a BIG deal, with a ton more logistics compared to arena shows.

For example, the number of arena shows in NorCal (bay, sac, and Stockton) used to be around 200-300 a year, while stadium shows were in the single digits.

And soccer, lol.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

jetz0r posted:

And soccer, lol.
Is Gillette unusual in hosting both the local football and soccer team?

I'm from New England so that's what I know.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Your absolute best case scenario for maximum arena usage would probably be something like United Center in Chicago. It hosts both the Bulls and the Blackhawks (if you've never seen the timelapse of how they transition it from a hockey rink to a basketball court, it's pretty crazy) and regularly hosts concerts and other events on top when neither is in town. Also once again: in the middle of a dense urban area connected to public transit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Sydin posted:

Your absolute best case scenario for maximum arena usage would probably be something like United Center in Chicago. It hosts both the Bulls and the Blackhawks (if you've never seen the timelapse of how they transition it from a hockey rink to a basketball court, it's pretty crazy) and regularly hosts concerts and other events on top when neither is in town. Also once again: in the middle of a dense urban area connected to public transit.

Staples Center is another one, hosts 4 teams with about 150 games a year plus concerts on top of that