Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Paracaidas posted:

Foligno with a couple of... interesting... penalties in the game 4 loss:
https://twitter.com/MinnesotaSOH/status/1650306781921542145
https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1650290247459127297

First time in a while I've seen one player take two dubious calls on plays that both seemingly had better calls avaliable. To be clear, this was a game of completely dogshit ref work across the board and both of those were more or less identically makeup'd with a similarly close to the puck interference call and an entirely phantom trip when Zucc lost an edge. Stars won because Oettinger was on his head and the Wild want the extra pass and can't kill a penalty worth a poo poo.

Concerned about the rest of the series -- it's none of these players, but the Wild's DNA is getting too cute when they're stymied by a goalie and that's always been the top line's Achilles heel.

Hitting a guy that doesn't touch the puck is interference. Pretty straight forward. The first one is Foligno trying to take a run at a guy and eating poo poo. As other pointed out the Dallas player was able to avoid most of the contact, but it's still a trip. You have to be sneakier than that if you're going to try and run players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Inadvertent trips are still trips (except when they're not.) That would probably have been let go if Foligno wasn't trying to run the guy though. The ref saw him try to make a lovely hit and wanted to penalize him for something I guess.

The second again is technically interference but would be let go 99 times out of 100. They must have had enough of him by then.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

That second one is probably the refs not wanting to have dudes getting run behind the net considering everything that has happened in that series so far.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Sportsnet during the game showed this pic of Brock Faber at last years Wild playoff game, unreal

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I don't have a lot of faith in the Jets tonight with Morrissey out, especially since you know it will mean Stanley is coming in. Dubois, Connor and scheifele have pretty mush disappeared since the first 4 periods. Really hoping Ehlers is back

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Sportsnet during the game showed this pic of Brock Faber at last years Wild playoff game, unreal

I've always loved this one. That kid in the crowd is a six year old Patrick Kane.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

That's a very... monumental gold logo that reads TURG--, for sure.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

That's a very... monumental gold logo that reads TURG--, for sure.

Turgeon, as in the player’s name. C’mon you know that you silly Billy.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

I've always loved this one. That kid in the crowd is a six year old Patrick Kane.

Love those goofy JOFA helmets. The different helmets kinda gave a bit of extra personality back then (Messier’s big rear end head, Lindros’ Bauer, of course the Irbe).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you're keeping track, 3 of the Kings' 4 goals last night prominently involved "What the hell was Darnell Nurse doing???"

And of course most of the Oilers' goals involved McDavid doing crazy space wizard McDavid poo poo. Whoever posted about Nurse being a negative card you have to take if you want to play the McDavid card had it bang on

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 24, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nurse has been real bad this series which is definitely not a good thing! Especially considering he'd had his best season since he played down the lineup 5 years ago while being saddled with a broken down Ceci for most of the year.

He's doing the thing where he's trying to do way too much again and its definitely causing him to do some crazy stupid poo poo.

Edit: I also think part of the problem on the PK specifically has been him playing on his offside half the time when he plays with Ekholm but its that or play Desharnais which WOOF

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 24, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Desharnais is counting his lucky stars that Nurse sucked so much and the Oilers managed to come back because drat he was awful. Arvidsson literally had time to do a full pirouette after chipping the puck past him to score.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I don't know if I've ever seen a defenseman so wildly out of position so often as Darnell Nurse, and I say that as someone who watched far more of Mike Matheson than anyone could want to. It's not a Justin Faulk thing where Faulk is just lazy as hell and stands around when the puck's in his end, Nurse jerks around the ice frenetically like his jock is on fire. And also constantly trying to cherrypick like a young Malkin. From the defenseman position.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think if game 4 is a repeat of game 3, the Devils will probably lose tonight. They can't take that many minors again and expect to win. Looks like the lineup is unsurprisingly the same. The 4th line was almost unplayable at 5v5, but Bastian/Lazar did a solid enough job on the PK I suppose.

I wouldn't depend on another fantastic Schmid performance but hopefully he's good enough to give them a chance. Devils need more production from Hischier/Mercer/Meier, but Bratt/Hughes are starting to get their chances at least. This feels like a game where the Devils really need to test Shesterkin to win, but I haven't seen any evidence that they're capable of doing that in the first 3 games. A bad game by Igor would go a long way though, hard to see them winning a series where he puts up a .949

Playing even or a little bit plus at 5v5 like they did in games one and three isn't going to be enough given the special teams disparity, they need to dominate 5v5 going forward. That or the first unit PP really needs to come alive.

Basically have no confidence the Devils can win a series played like that at 5v5 unless Schmid goes full Halak.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 24, 2023

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

yeah, Schmid kinda stole game 3, my expectations are low

not taking blatant penalties would be great, but there's no guarantee that will be enough to keep the game mostly 5v5, there have been quite a few phantom / questionable calls

the one thing that gives me some hope is that the penalty kill didn't look completely clueless

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

T-Bone posted:

I think if game 4 is a repeat of game 3, the Devils will probably lose tonight. They can't take that many minors again and expect to win.

The good news is that penalties tend to start radically declining after game 3. They can play the same way and get away with it now!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Yeah the Devils now remind me of the 2008 Capitals when they were dominant during the regular season under Boudreau but seemed a bit overwhelmed in the postseason when they played the Flyers who had more postseason experience and controlled most of the series.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't know if I've ever seen a defenseman so wildly out of position so often as Darnell Nurse, and I say that as someone who watched far more of Mike Matheson than anyone could want to. It's not a Justin Faulk thing where Faulk is just lazy as hell and stands around when the puck's in his end, Nurse jerks around the ice frenetically like his jock is on fire. And also constantly trying to cherrypick like a young Malkin. From the defenseman position.

Are you trying to say he is worse than the Jack Johnson sport ball experience?

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

The oilers zone coverage last night seemed very confused. The forward would stop chasing the puck carrier down low and back off as if they were expecting the defensemen to pick up coverage, but they didn't and would stay net front. So LA players seemingly had a free space in the corner. Then all the oilers would recognize at once that the puck carrier had no one checking them and all collapse to them leaving net front and up high open.

Seemed to happen most often with Kane on the ice

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

ThinkTank posted:

The best pic they could get of him was him tripping?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

The best pic they could get of him was him tripping?

I think even then they knew that Sylvian Turgeon was not a player history would remember so justifiably half assed it with the first photo of him they could find. Just rotten luck that one of the greatest American players ever would happen to inadvertently be captured in the same picture.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
But Dale Hawerchuk and Doug Bodger are both Canadian.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/ryannovo62/status/1650548652417462291

thanks mike but i think we actually have to dress luke hughes for that to work

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sometimes it's good to remember that NHL GMs are so bad that they drafted Mike Rupp twice and Martin St. Louis 0 times.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I’m not surprised Mike Rupp still references his postseason in 2003, those 4pts in 4 games were equal to his output in 63 other career playoff games

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well you can't discount Rupp's 7 points in 11 playoff games for the legendary Danbury Trashers.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

secret volcano lair posted:

https://twitter.com/ryannovo62/status/1650548652417462291

thanks mike but i think we actually have to dress luke hughes for that to work

odd to call for more production from their depth guys when Hischier, Meier, Mercer, Severson, and Tatar have a combined (1) point.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
devils are back baby

(playing like the the most boring defensive hockey you've ever seen, but hey I'll watch that garbage again)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I like how the Rags lost cause fuckem.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Gallant needs to step it up. He’s getting out coached by Lindy loving Ruff and it’s embarrassing.

I have no idea what adjustments he can make but he needs to find a way to get Kakko up into the top 6 more. Aside from Vinny, he was the best forward tonight.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

E: wrong thread

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 25, 2023

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/hockeystatcards/status/1650677152763846657

jonas siegenthaler was a healthy scratch in game 2

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I still like Lindy Ruff

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

I know Meier had that one really awful shift where he took the delay of game, but in general I think he's really making a positive impact with his board and physical play. Hopefully he doesn't get too frustrated about not scoring. Tatar looked more like his regular season self tonight too, lots of good smart plays along the boards to keep possession and nice 50/50 wins at the point to escape pressure.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

kill me now posted:

Are you trying to say he is worse than the Jack Johnson sport ball experience?

Jack Johnson signed with Colorado on a PTO and then won a cup, Nurse makes 10mil each year for the next 7 years. JJ also doesn't play top pairing

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/mollieewalkerr/status/1650681440202289152?s=61&t=kkZpWh0cuOguRMpDObNb7g

You applying this you yourself too buddy?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Devils have basically gone down to three lines. Lazar/Bastian barely playing 5v5, with Boqvist getting thrown in occasionally. I think that's the right move as well, the Devils top guys are really starting to turn up even if the production isn't quite there yet.

I do wonder if the Rangers will come out in game 5 and try to play more aggressive, particularly on the physical side on the forecheck (which is what the Devils tried to do in game 2 and got burnt off of it). I think if you can chip pucks behind the Devils D and then cycle low to high that's where the Devils have been defensively vulnerable all year.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 25, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

Gallant needs to step it up. He’s getting out coached by Lindy loving Ruff and it’s embarrassing.

I have no idea what adjustments he can make but he needs to find a way to get Kakko up into the top 6 more. Aside from Vinny, he was the best forward tonight.

People in this thread were saying Ruff should be fired mid series lol

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
its okay guys ive seen the leafs do this before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I’m gonna admit, I didn’t believe it

But I should have trusted the corgi