Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Nothus posted:

Home prices are the central, load-bearing scam of our country. Cheap homes are an existential threat.

cheap homes would ruin our GDP and should probably be illegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1650494390643699712?s=20

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

we don’t need to loosen land restrictions we just need denser housing built to house people rather than extract wealth from them

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CBSMornings/status/1650489193271795712?s=20

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

i am harry posted:

we don’t need to loosen land restrictions we just need denser housing built to house people rather than extract wealth from them

These are the same things, density is limited by land use regulations. Death to zoning, death to minimum setbacks.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Wellstar bought one of two trauma centers in Atlanta proper specifically so they could shut it down and sell the valuable real estate.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/atlanta-medical-center-hospital-shut-down-last-day-trauma-center

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I remember reading David Ricardo in what must have been 2018 and coming to the conclusion that if one were running a business, that you would have to treat your [dead] capital as an amortized, on-going expense from day 1, with the intent of having it "paid back" by the time the warranty runs out, or by the time you expect the thing to break

you could diversify by making more than just the one product, but same thing - the inescapable logic is that everyone who will ever want your product will already have it, and then what?

and I know that what I'm essentially describing is The Tendency for the Rate of Profit to Fall, and in turn explains the capitalist logic of planned obsolescence and the conversion of everything into X As A Service, but like... and then what???

Isn’t this basically what happened with the cast iron cookware industry? It was made well enough and lasted pretty much forever if you took care of it that the industry collapsed. Now there is basically “Luxury Priced” cast iron cookware, and some inexpensive stuff from a single manufacturer or two.

I think that is the end result, innovate into something new (or something regressive) or die. It’s the nature of the beast. And when companies are not allowed to die, then the institutional rot sets in and you see what you get. Or the companies get too big and lobby themselves into legislation that would prevent themselves from having competition and you get similar results.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

i am harry posted:

there's a high-rise apartment building here that's been vacant for over 10 years for whatever reason, today's article is behind paywall unfortunately. but the place is perfectly fine apparently.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Taima posted:

Hoot going crazy was not on my bingo card.

The first signs were posting a lot and posting heathcliff every chance he could. So he has been crazy for awhile now.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

These are the same things, density is limited by land use regulations. Death to zoning, death to minimum setbacks.

not necessarily; a R1 residential zone limited to single family homes doesn’t have to come with a loving moat of green grass twice the size of the house around each one

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Wellstar bought one of two trauma centers in Atlanta proper specifically so they could shut it down and sell the valuable real estate.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/atlanta-medical-center-hospital-shut-down-last-day-trauma-center

The poo poo they pulled with Hahnemann in Philly is now the model.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

have had Covid for a week now and the worst side effect is being unable to go to Aldi. I just look at the app and sigh.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/SquawkStreet/status/1650497909320736769?t=V4_TYPZ-qDJc9o2m_VOdoQ&s=19

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

selec posted:

have had Covid for a week now and the worst side effect is being unable to go to Aldi. I just look at the app and sigh.

Thread title.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

thanks cramer

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Just go to the story. Nobody will care

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I feel like banana carrot cake would work well

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/28/603678259/10-years-after-housing-crisis-a-realtor-a-renter-starting-over-staying-put

quote:

Throughout the early 2000s, housing prices in some parts of the country rose, and rose, and rose. Homes with prices that for decades had steadily grown with inflation were suddenly worth 50 percent or 100 percent more.

The rapidly rising prices fueled extraordinary behavior. Home sales nearly doubled from 2000 to 2005. In some metro areas, prices were rising so fast that an investor could buy a house, sit on it for a couple months, and sell it for a profit.

lol we're already so far beyond the 2000-2005 poo poo that this article just seems quaint

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Is jim Cramer dying?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1650496100053266432?s=20

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Animal-Mother posted:

Is jim Cramer dying?

He probably had covid again.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

if you dig too far you'll hit bedrock or lava!!

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I remember reading David Ricardo in what must have been 2018 and coming to the conclusion that if one were running a business, that you would have to treat your [dead] capital as an amortized, on-going expense from day 1, with the intent of having it "paid back" by the time the warranty runs out, or by the time you expect the thing to break

that is, if you buy a 10,000 dollar bakery oven (or however much such a thing costs), and it has an expected lifespan of five years, then you'd need to account for a cost of 167.00 dollars a month, so that you'd have the cost of the thing socked away and can replace it exactly five years later (and adjusting for however much the price of a new oven is going to be by that time)

this is obviously not a novel idea, but then I started looking at it from the other side and none of it made sense: if you're a manufacturer of... electric fans, eventually you're going to hit a point where everyone in your reach who might foreseeably want an electric fan already has one, and if your fans are built to last, then people are just going to stop buying fans, because they already have one, and the only other sales you'll get to make are people replacing their fans once they break... but that's not enough sales to make your firm sustainable

you could expand your market by beating the competition and increasing your reach to more people who don't yet have fans, but that's still going to hit a wall eventually

you could diversify by making more than just the one product, but same thing - the inescapable logic is that everyone who will ever want your product will already have it, and then what?

and I know that what I'm essentially describing is The Tendency for the Rate of Profit to Fall, and in turn explains the capitalist logic of planned obsolescence and the conversion of everything into X As A Service, but like... and then what???
then we colonize mars! very simple.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1650447638351822848?s=20

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/d_feldman/status/1649466422018318338?s=20

Koirhor has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Apr 24, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

The best part:

quote:

In 2006, Kristin and Justin Hege bought the house they thought would be their "forever home." At the time, she was 29 and he was 27. It felt perfect: the right size, the right location. They brought one of their sons home from the hospital to that house.

"I grew up in a small town in Ohio," Kristin says. "The 'forever home' thing was a legit thing. You stayed in your house until your kids went away to school."

Expecting to stay in the house for 15 years or more, they decided to do a complete remodel in 2007. They refinanced their original mortgage to pull out some equity to make the renovations. Afterward, at the height of the bubble, their house was valued at more than $400,000.

When home prices began to fall, their initial reaction was to stick it out. They could have kept paying their mortgage. The Heges own their own businesses; they were very sensitive to the damage a foreclosure or a short sale could do to their credit. And they thought it felt wrong to walk away from a commitment they'd signed on to.

"We could have each had two more jobs apiece and made it work and done it," Kristin says. "It was very hard for us and who we are as people to walk away."

But as home prices kept falling, the financial reality became impossible to ignore.

Eventually the Heges sold their house in a short sale for $149,000 — about half of what they still owed to the bank. (In a typical short sale, the bank agrees to accept less than what is owed and release the remainder of the debt. In many cases, lenders prefer short sales over foreclosures.)

there's no indication in the article at all that they couldn't afford their mortgage, they just saw the "value" fall from $400K to $149K and decided to get out. lmao.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

gradenko_2000 posted:

*u were assassinated by a drone strike*

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

yeah come on apple you know you want the layoffs. what ya waiting for? pretty plz tim i know you like it.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

drat, there goes the bullshit jobs.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Is jim Cramer dying?

we all are fam.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

gradenko_2000 posted:

and then what???

Number

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

AlmightyBob posted:

tucker got fired

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

used to be you could say whatever you want on TV. now you can’t. what is going on?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

go woke go broke

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

colussy collision sounds uncomfortable for everyone involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Oglethorpe posted:

if you dig too far you'll hit bedrock or lava!!

they call it bedrock because it keeps you asleep