Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Panderfringe posted:

Are there any decent space combat rules out for 5e? I know, there's plenty of better games for sci-fi stuff than 5e. But half my players don't want to learn a new game. Space combat isn't a focus of the campaign but it might still come up, so something for my players to engage with would be nice

I ripped off the space combat from the FFG Star Wars game and my players enjoyed it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/swrpg/comments/9juchu/space_combat_cheatsheet_custom/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

trapstar posted:

Took what you said into consideration and this is the new statblock. (Apparently even a crab has 10 CON)

The classic level 1 monster. Players don't take children seriously, so you can surprise them with well-prepared defenses. Pretty hard to cut a child in half with a greatsword if you can't see them behind the murderholes. Creates a sense of accomplishment when they clear the entire cave system of children, and a memorable session.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Name Change posted:

The classic level 1 monster. Players don't take children seriously, so you can surprise them with well-prepared defenses. Pretty hard to cut a child in half with a greatsword if you can't see them behind the murderholes. Creates a sense of accomplishment when they clear the entire cave system of children, and a memorable session.

Karsa Orlong has entered the chat.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

trapstar posted:

Took what you said into consideration and this is the new statblock. (Apparently even a crab has 10 CON)

Ah, I see you've started out the preferred henchmen of that Dread Emperor Norton guy from the Book of Vile Darkness

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Panderfringe posted:

Are there any decent space combat rules out for 5e? I know, there's plenty of better games for sci-fi stuff than 5e. But half my players don't want to learn a new game. Space combat isn't a focus of the campaign but it might still come up, so something for my players to engage with would be nice

Pretty much every system has awful overcomplicated ship combat. Starfinder is getting overhauled rules soon so fingers crossed.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Playing around with an idea for some homebrew for 5e. I'm currently running WFRP4e for my group and in the new book Winds of Magic there are rules for a system called "sympathetic geography" where different winds of magic are more concentrated in specific types of environments. This concentration leads to an increase in power for practitioners of those types of magic.

So, for example, fire wizards would consider deserts, jungles, settlements, and volcanic areas as sympathetic environments. Shamanistic magic would consider tundra, forests, hills, farmland, plains and jungles as sympathetic environments, and so on.

I feel something like this could easily be applicable to the D&D magic system. Evocation magic could gain strength in volcanic areas and powerful storms. Necromancy could gain strength near graveyards and in swamps. Divine magic from lawful deities could gain strength in lawfully consecrated areas, such as certain settlements and temples. With some creativity you could also do similar things for the remaining, more esoteric schools of magic.

Conversely, you could make certain types of magic weaker in opposing environments. Perhaps druidic magic sees a penalty when cast in sites of industry or large cities. Perhaps good divine magic sees a penalty when cast in areas saturated with evil.

What I like about it is that it helps tie the magic of the game to the world itself. I have two wizards in my group (a celestial wizard [close to a divination wizard], and a fire wizard) and their characters seek out these types of areas of things to help enable their spell casting.

For example, celestial wizards consider high towers to be sympathetic environments. So my celestial wizard will wait until he's at the top of a large tower to cast particularly powerful spells. Fire wizards gain power when near large bonfires or burning enemies, so they'll wait for those conditions to be met (or create them themselves) before casting powerful fire magic.

Curious what people think of this, and how something like it could be mixed in with 5e.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I think it would be really simple to implement. The old Dragonlance moons of magic system could be an inspiration, but you could also just say that they get +1 to spell attacks and save DCs when in a sympathetic environment or spells are automatically upcast by a level in a sympathetic environment.

The only drawbacks I see are that wizards don't really need more power in 5E and you'd have to play closer attention to the environments to which you're sending the party to make sure the two wizard PCs feel balanced.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

I think it would be really simple to implement. The old Dragonlance moons of magic system could be an inspiration, but you could also just say that they get +1 to spell attacks and save DCs when in a sympathetic environment or spells are automatically upcast by a level in a sympathetic environment.

The only drawbacks I see are that wizards don't really need more power in 5E and you'd have to play closer attention to the environments to which you're sending the party to make sure the two wizard PCs feel balanced.

you could also have a similar mechanic for warriors and other non-magical casters as well. Perhaps fighters and barbarians gain bonuses to combat when fighting alongside squads of other warriors, and when being cheered on by crowds of onlookers. Perhaps rogues gain bonuses when fighting in narrow alleyways and dimly-lit areas.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Verisimilidude posted:

Perhaps rogues gain bonuses when fighting in narrow alleyways and dimly-lit areas.

I mean... they do.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

my gf and i just finished watching breaking bad and now we're watching the sopranos. we've been talking about playing some sort of ttrpg revolving around these themes/elements, a crime story basically where a crew of PCs finds ways to make money illicitly while being nominally part of some larger organization while trying to move up/grow powerful and break off. that sort of thing. i was looking at systems to use to run this (primarily FATE and pbta game "cartel") but i'm thinking now maybe it would be interesting to just pivot somehow to a crime storyline after we're done LMoP in 5e. the PCs have already all drifted to a morally grey alignment, wouldn't be a stretch to somehow get embroiled in a crime family type story or heist. anyone have some good ideas for 5e adventures of this nature aside from the one with "heist" in the name which is NOT a heist i've come to learn?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

my gf and i just finished watching breaking bad and now we're watching the sopranos. we've been talking about playing some sort of ttrpg revolving around these themes/elements, a crime story basically where a crew of PCs finds ways to make money illicitly while being nominally part of some larger organization while trying to move up/grow powerful and break off. that sort of thing. i was looking at systems to use to run this (primarily FATE and pbta game "cartel") but i'm thinking now maybe it would be interesting to just pivot somehow to a crime storyline after we're done LMoP in 5e. the PCs have already all drifted to a morally grey alignment, wouldn't be a stretch to somehow get embroiled in a crime family type story or heist. anyone have some good ideas for 5e adventures of this nature aside from the one with "heist" in the name which is NOT a heist i've come to learn?

They just published Keys From the Golden Vault, which is all heist themed adventures.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Dienes posted:

They just published Keys From the Golden Vault, which is all heist themed adventures.

oh wow. this looks like basically exactly what i'm looking for lol. very timely. thank you

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Lamuella posted:

I mean... they do.

So then there's precedent! Thanks for the insight.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Verisimilidude posted:

Curious what people think of this, and how something like it could be mixed in with 5e.

Ever since they "corrected" the idea that Mystra bound the weave to the central realmspace, it makes sense that the outer planes might connect to the material plane (or others) attuned to the weave where thematically relevant. That means that a caster specializing in a school of magic could theoretically have access to a more abundant than normal amount of weave for their casting. The elemental plane of fire might be drawn to touch an active volcano on the material plane, giving evocation folks better fire magic (or maybe the fire plane caused the volcano?). Maybe Jergal made a temporary bridge from Gehenna to a city graveyard in order to do business, giving nearby acolytes stronger necromancy.

Would you also have a rock paper scissors approach where one element/source buffs one school but nerfs another in exchange?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Zurreco posted:

Ever since they "corrected" the idea that Mystra bound the weave to the central realmspace, it makes sense that the outer planes might connect to the material plane (or others) attuned to the weave where thematically relevant. That means that a caster specializing in a school of magic could theoretically have access to a more abundant than normal amount of weave for their casting. The elemental plane of fire might be drawn to touch an active volcano on the material plane, giving evocation folks better fire magic (or maybe the fire plane caused the volcano?). Maybe Jergal made a temporary bridge from Gehenna to a city graveyard in order to do business, giving nearby acolytes stronger necromancy.

Would you also have a rock paper scissors approach where one element/source buffs one school but nerfs another in exchange?

This is already a thing in Eberron with manifest zones, look those up for inspiration

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Zurreco posted:

That's really interesting!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

No joke I think Final Fantasy 11 did this.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I know this isn't what you're asking but this basically the exact kind of thing Blades in the Dark is for.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LOL, wizards is having another normal one

https://twitter.com/lincodega/status/1650560087402897415

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Jesus loving christ, lmao, they've already lost so many players to Paizo how the hell did they think this was the right course of actions.

The loving Pinkertons.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
The reddit Dnd mods are melting down and trying to delete threads over this because they love boot leather. I think they finally opened up a mega thread with a very misleading title and telling everyone they will "allow" discussion even though they deem it to be offtopic. The distance nerds will go to protect their horrible lovely corporations that make their nerd games.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean if I were a reddit mod I would also try and limit discussions to a singular pinned thread. Rather than let the entire subreddit devolve into just posts about this topic.

Like if people here started posting a bunch of individual threads talking about it it'd probably also get consolidated into one thread.

I dunno the specifics or the manner in which the mods are talking about it because lol going to D&D's reddit, so yeah the mods might be bootlicking or whatever. But deleting threads and funneling into a mega thread in general makes sense to me.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dexo posted:

Like if people here started posting a bunch of individual threads talking about it it'd probably also get consolidated into one thread.

This happened. Someone posted about it in the Pathfinder thread and got told to go take it to Industry.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Dexo posted:

I mean if I were a reddit mod I would also try and limit discussions to a singular pinned thread. Rather than let the entire subreddit devolve into just posts about this topic.

I dunno the specifics or the manner in which the mods are talking about it because lol going to D&D's reddit, so yeah the mods might be bootlicking or whatever. But deleting threads and funneling into a mega thread in general makes sense to me.

Eh I don't really care its just more funny to me how they where trying to downplay it however I think with the way reddit content gets popular and pushes to people is by thread upvotes and if every time some one makes a thread you delete it for a few hours and then make a mod approved one later it really reduces the signal boosting. I don't think its really similar to making new threads on Something Awful because posting in a thread bumps it to the top regardless.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Vire posted:

if every time some one makes a thread you delete it for a few hours and then make a mod approved one later it really reduces the signal boosting.

I’m sure this is the top concern of mods everywhere because if the internet is lacking one thing it’s people trying to signal boost stuff.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm looking for advice. I have some experience with DnD, but I haven't played in a while. We're still not sure what campaign we're going to play. The last one we played was Curse of Strahd. I don't want to be a tank--I'm more into gimmick classes. I played an artificer last time and it was lots of fun. Any suggestions?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Spermando posted:

I'm looking for advice. I have some experience with DnD, but I haven't played in a while. We're still not sure what campaign we're going to play. The last one we played was Curse of Strahd. I don't want to be a tank--I'm more into gimmick classes. I played an artificer last time and it was lots of fun. Any suggestions?

Warlocks are fun and silly, with a lot of room for character development. You can be a mall goth, or a complete normie cursed with horrific powers who is now completely in over there head.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Spermando posted:

Caster or Martial?

Around what level do you think you all are going to reach?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Spermando posted:

Warlock has a bunch of directions you can go that all do approximately the same strong things, which is good. Bard or druid are the "pick a weird direction and commit to it" classes IME. I haven't yet gotten to play a Spores or Stars druid but they're both on my list.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Spermando posted:

I guess it depends what you want to spend your time in the game doing.

Want to be a skill monster who treats combat as a puzzle? Go rogue.
Want to put out a huge amount of close combat damage and run around doing cryptic bullshit? Monk.
Wany to help and support people while still being able to pump out damage when appropriate? Cleric or bard.
Want to lean into some weird RP? Druid and warlock are both fun, and with Warlock you get to have quests tied to your patron.

I was an artificer in my last long campaign and really enjoyed it (we just did a one shot with those characters and it was so easy to pick them up again). In my current long campaign I've taken a bard, partly because I have a character concept I really like, partly because few parties regret having a bard. They're socially useful, good at buffs, have a few decent damage low level spells, and are distinctly versatile depending on the college you choose.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lamuella posted:

I guess it depends what you want to spend your time in the game doing.

Want to be a skill monster who treats combat as a puzzle? Go rogue.
Want to put out a huge mediocre to average amount of close combat damage and run around doing cryptic bullshit? Monk.
Wany to help and support people while still being able to pump out damage when appropriate? Cleric or bard.
Want to lean into some weird RP? Druid and warlock are both fun, and with Warlock you get to have quests tied to your patron.

I was an artificer in my last long campaign and really enjoyed it (we just did a one shot with those characters and it was so easy to pick them up again). In my current long campaign I've taken a bard, partly because I have a character concept I really like, partly because few parties regret having a bard. They're socially useful, good at buffs, have a few decent damage low level spells, and are distinctly versatile depending on the college you choose.

FTFY

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

disaster pastor posted:

Warlock has a bunch of directions you can go that all do approximately the same strong things, which is good. Bard or druid are the "pick a weird direction and commit to it" classes IME. I haven't yet gotten to play a Spores or Stars druid but they're both on my list.

I rolled up a level 12 Stars druid (Mark of Finding Half-Orc) as a backup character in case my Artificer died in the one shot we were doing. And now I really want to play as her. So much fun with that concept, and some really great combinations of skill and ability.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I don't think we're going to reach a very high level... The DM also suggested bard or warlock. I usually don't take these games to seriously, so I'm definitely looking for something that lets me crack jokes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Spermando posted:

I don't think we're going to reach a very high level... The DM also suggested bard or warlock. I usually don't take these games to seriously, so I'm definitely looking for something that lets me crack jokes.

Bard or Warlock will do it, if you want to be more of a damage dealer, go Warlock, but Bard you can become the absolute bane of your GM if you build them right.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Spermando posted:

Go undead warlock, so you can bone up on your skeleton puns. I guarantee if you know the anatomy of a good joke, your table will find them humerus.

It would be a grave mistake to miss out on this opportunity.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Dexo posted:

Bard or Warlock will do it, if you want to be more of a damage dealer, go Warlock, but Bard you can become the absolute bane of your GM if you build them right.

also if you play it right your party will love you. Chucking someone an inspiration dice and using it to RP an attaboy is always good for group cohesion.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Spermando posted:

The ranger subclass that lets you murder people with swarms of bees could be fun for stupid jokes.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Warlock is fun and I can recommend. One thing to note, however, is that early on the lack of spell slots is going to mean limited interactivity during non-boss combat. That starts to let up about level 5 but before that there's a lot turns that are just make one attack with Eldritch Blast. Now, Eldritch Blast is real good damage so you're not useless but 2 spells before needing a rest can feel limiting. You can recover spells on a short rest, so if your DM is free with those, that can help, but it is at least something to know going in.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Spermando posted:

I'm currently playing a shadar-kai warlock, but instead of going the obvious edgelord goth route that combo would easily gravitate toward, they made a pact with a unicorn that popped up from one of the last campaign's character's wild magic. They've now gone full colourgoth and are thoroughly annoying the others in their strixhaven knockoff with a unicorn plushie.

Warlocks are very flexible.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The monk is high damage from levels 1-4 (but gain less from extra attack than anyone else). From 5-13 they are stun-spammers (which get less effective as enemies get bigger). And level 14+ the best saving throws in the game.