Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is belmiria single handedly performing the face swap surgery?

Though El5n being a lovely dude on a deep infiltration mission killing off the head of the evil factions would make him gwitch's 3rd char and I'm down for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

Is belmiria single handedly performing the face swap surgery?

I don’t think so. Bel got scooped up by Peil to try and recreate Gundams after they figured out her ties to Vanadis, so she's in charge of their skunkworks R&D project but the face grafting is probably done elsewhere. She might have something to do with the Enhanced Person science as part of her Gundam research but I doubt she's the one saying "let's take a high profile company heir and paint his face onto homeless teenagers."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
That's true, he might also have to kill some plastic surgeons.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I mean they already presumably have to keep their mouths shut about it or else Pel and the real Elan will come down on them, wouldn't be a huge shift.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

I mean they already presumably have to keep their mouths shut about it or else Pel and the real Elan will come down on them, wouldn't be a huge shift.

nah those are people who have dirt on him, and he's in a much more precarious position after that kind of coup than the grand witches circle

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
El5n just needs to go off script for everything at Peil go go tits up and I am all for it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kanos posted:

There's an incredibly easy path forward for his story: Guel coming back and finding out that actually taking on Shaddiq/Grassley is far beyond his present means gives him a real reason to form an alliance with Suletta and Mio.

They specifically said in this episode that Jeturk is about at bankruptcy, which suggests something really serious went down even beyond "wow, your mobile suits were used for plant quetta? tsk tsk". Huge successful manufacturing concerns typically don't have time to go bankrupt just because the CEO is incapacitated for a short period of time unless something is dramatically wrong; they have financial divisions and managers who can more or less keep the boat upright until the leadership is restored. If they went from "top 4 in the Group" to "virtually bankrupt" in the time between Vim dying and the present time, that suggests some kind of active sabotage.

Bonus points if Shaddiq did something shady to bankrupt the company and steal its resources while Vim was dead and Lauda was incapacitated.

I wouldn't rule out corporate sabotage, but actually I think there's been plenty of foreshadowing of Jeturk's dire straits that may have just been read as general cutthroat business practices since the first episode. Vim puts his plot to assassinate Delling into motion after looking pointedly grim after the meeting where the Parneo Company is cut off. It's true that Jeturk was the top earner for the most recent period, but by episode 4 he has threats of shareholders cutting his funding. And even if Sarius is the one to voice it, the sentiment that Vim's not really so clever is out there. There's a clear path to "Jeturk has been struggling behind the scenes and has been propped up as more valuable than it is in truth" that wouldn't necessitate anything more active than backers pulling out in the wake of Plant Quetta (and also Darilbalde's less than stellar debut performance) to tank the company astonishingly swiftly. Guel securing the Holder position (and thus being the assumed heir to the Benerit Group) might have been the most critical support Jeturk'd had in years, and would be another reason Shaddiq was comfortable letting him remain where he was before Suletta's arrival - whenever he was ready to set the chaos into motion, he would have been confident that kicking Guel out would send them spiraling.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hogama posted:

I wouldn't rule out corporate sabotage, but actually I think there's been plenty of foreshadowing of Jeturk's dire straits that may have just been read as general cutthroat business practices since the first episode. Vim puts his plot to assassinate Delling into motion after looking pointedly grim after the meeting where the Parneo Company is cut off. It's true that Jeturk was the top earner for the most recent period, but by episode 4 he has threats of shareholders cutting his funding. And even if Sarius is the one to voice it, the sentiment that Vim's not really so clever is out there. There's a clear path to "Jeturk has been struggling behind the scenes and has been propped up as more valuable than it is in truth" that wouldn't necessitate anything more active than backers pulling out in the wake of Plant Quetta (and also Darilbalde's less than stellar debut performance) to tank the company astonishingly swiftly. Guel securing the Holder position (and thus being the assumed heir to the Benerit Group) might have been the most critical support Jeturk'd had in years, and would be another reason Shaddiq was comfortable letting him remain where he was before Suletta's arrival - whenever he was ready to set the chaos into motion, he would have been confident that kicking Guel out would send them spiraling.

This is a good read, though given that Delling was willing to obliterate a company that had shaky financials despite being directly told that the company could easily be made profitable, I would think if Jeturk had been a house of cards, Delling would have dropped the hammer on them. As you say, Vim wasn't the brightest bulb, so I seriously doubt he could have obfuscated things from someone like Delling.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kanos posted:

This is a good read, though given that Delling was willing to obliterate a company that had shaky financials despite being directly told that the company could easily be made profitable, I would think if Jeturk had been a house of cards, Delling would have dropped the hammer on them. As you say, Vim wasn't the brightest bulb, so I seriously doubt he could have obfuscated things from someone like Delling.
Well, I mean Elon Musk was the richest man in the world, and it took a while for it to be widespread that he was the dimmest bulb in the room; just saying the obfuscation might be more on the part of competent handlers than Vim himself.
With his pride about "dueling his way up the ladder", Vim might be more of a picture of how Guel'd turn out without Suletta than previously thought about how ill-suited Guel seems to be for wheeling and dealing.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kanos posted:

Bigger players always get special treatment. If Jeturk is one of the largest partners in Benerit, it makes the whole group look bad if they're close to bankruptcy. It's only because both Vim and Delling are out of commission that it's even an issue, Guel showing up could turn things around on its own, even if he's not a Business Genius or whatever.

Don't buy into the myth of the meritocracy!!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On top of all that it would be really easy for Grassley and Peil to spin Jeturk mobile suits falling into terrorist hands as a sign of desperation from a financially insolvent company trying to recoup losses. Just keep piling on the "evidence" and bury them while covering their own shady poo poo.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so hey rewatching the scene where norea beats the poo poo out of nika she doesn't talk about the school fight that already happened. she talks about how dozens or hundreds of her comrades are going to die because of nika. i think norea isn't beating the poo poo out of her because she's grassley's fall guy or being angry about calling the cops during the fight. it reads to me a bit more like nika managed to talk to the cops after grassley took her phone, and she snitched the location of the DoF base (prompting the attack later in the episode)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How would Nika have gotten the word out if she was stopped by the Grassley girls? Benerit Group forces and Dominicus were already on their way towards Earth before the school attack . Granted it's unlikely they had exact coordinates for the DOF base but why are we to assume Nika got the word out when the show made a point of having her call interrupted?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't know but norea didn't have hundreds of comrades there during the school fight

might be the little bit she got into the phone (saying she has a confession minutes before the school starts blowing up) was enough for them to put 2 and 2 together on where she comes from, and backtrace the rough geographic location of the base from there?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

i don't know but norea didn't have hundreds of comrades there during the school fight

might be the little bit she got into the phone (saying she has a confession minutes before the school starts blowing up) was enough for them to put 2 and 2 together on where she comes from, and backtrace the rough geographic location of the base from there?

I dont know if that's enough to go on for them to pinpoint a DOF base. She didn't even get a chance to identify herself before she got caught. If anything I'd say it was Martin calling the cops that brought down suspicion on Nika which would back up your idea that they traced her home region back on Earth.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

for reference, naji is this dude

if this isn't about the base's location idk what else it would be about

it makes norea beating the poo poo out of her read a little differently too

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 25, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

for reference, naji is this dude

if this isn't about the base's location idk what else it would be about

I know that's what it's about but I'm not convinced that Nika herself is the one who made the call saying "bad guys located here stop them". For all we know it was the Martin call that tipped them off or the Grassley girls told Norea they caught Nika trying to make a call but didn't tell Norea that they stopped her before she could divulge information.

Norea is blaming Nika for Sophie's death when that was not Nika's fault. Now she's blaming Nika for the impending attack on Naji and the others. The former is projection and the latter has footage arguing against Nika being at fault, so you can see why I might not be the all that convinced that Nika is the person Norea should be mad at.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 25, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I think Suletta should kick Noreas rear end

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
It is kind of odd that Norea showed up in space and said to Suletta “you didn’t kill her she killed herself” and then went back into the school to beat up Nika and blame her for Sophie’s death. Seems like she’s just loving with Nika more than anything.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I'm going to go with "Norea is grieving and not rational and has picked Nika as the person to blame for everything."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That one Grassley girl, though. loving sociopath watching all that with a smile and a teehee "don't go too far, now!" Like it wasn't even an angry eyes sadistic "I'm enjoying this" vibe, just that drat loving smile.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 25, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Arc Hammer posted:

That one Grassley girl, though. loving sociopath watching all that with a smile and a teehee "don't go too far, now!" Like it wasn't even an angry eyes sadistic "I'm enjoying this" vibe, just that drat loving smile.

If they are going to pull a "Shaddiq isn't just another piece of poo poo villain" they've got their work cut out for them with who he's surrounded by.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Norea already had it with Nika and was ABOUT TO KILL HER in the previous episode. She would likely be making GBS threads all over her even if things went according to plan.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
That was a great episode, feels like things are really kicking off, I'm fully on board and can't wait to see where things go from here.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

gundam was crazy good this week

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Eimi posted:

If they are going to pull a "Shaddiq isn't just another piece of poo poo villain" they've got their work cut out for them with who he's surrounded by.

This is exactly why I'm extremely skeptical of any hypothetically good thing espoused by Shaddiq, these are the people he has deliberately chosen to surround himself with and bring into his confidence to carry out his orders. I don't think Norea is a good person by any stretch, but I have some sympathy for her and Sophie after seeing her in the last couple of episodes and seeing the on the ground life of their DoF comrades. Notably that somewhat sympathetic framing stops dead short of Shaddiq's personal little legion of doom, the line that girl picks as going too far is quite literally death, anything up to that? Yeah sure, that's fine, go ahead and maim and brutalize her all you like as long as you don't straight up kill her.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

This is exactly why I'm extremely skeptical of any hypothetically good thing espoused by Shaddiq, these are the people he has deliberately chosen to surround himself with and bring into his confidence to carry out his orders. I don't think Norea is a good person by any stretch, but I have some sympathy for her and Sophie after seeing her in the last couple of episodes and seeing the on the ground life of their DoF comrades. Notably that somewhat sympathetic framing stops dead short of Shaddiq's personal little legion of doom, the line that girl picks as going too far is quite literally death, anything up to that? Yeah sure, that's fine, go ahead and maim and brutalize her all you like as long as you don't straight up kill her.

It's also notable that Shaddiq is the most likely source for the Corps having intel on the Dawn of Fold's location. Nika never had the opportunity... but someone's claiming she did. Maybe because that someone doesn't want people asking any more questions.

(It's funny. If he did, then he's managed to actually do what people always assumed McGillis would do in IBO.)

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Yeah Shaddiq wanting to wipe out DoF as a loose end and only being foiled by Norea alerting them ahead of time is the likely outcome TBH.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i think shaddiq can have vaguely sympathetic motivations & goals while still being a piece of poo poo

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Regardless of how you align with Norea's outlook, she is certainly venting on Nika because of Sophie's death and already disliking her from the start rather than having any hard evidence that Nika gave away the Dawn of Fold headquarters location to the Benerit Group. She was cold on their first meeting before she pulled the knife, stating that it almost sounds like Nika's acting like a victim of Plant Quetta, and has already heard that Nika wants to try and be a bridge in Earth/Space relations. Then when Nika asks the girls to leave the school before their attack, she quickly concludes that Nika doesn't know anything about their communications, and Nika threatens to instead talk about herself and the shell companies, which sparks Norea to move to crush her and say that an orphan like her hasn't paid the Dawn of Fold back yet for getting her into school. She relents when Suletta enters the stage mostly because Sophie accepts the duel. Then Sophie goes off-script and gets herself dead. Nika's caught before she can actually reveal anything at all, but she DID reach someone, and thanks to Martin also calling about his own suspicions, the Benerit authorities at least have a lead connecting Nika to the Dawn of Fold.

By episode 15, the Benerit Group's garrison forces on Earth are actively searching for the Dawn of Fold, and Norea got word to Naji that their position's been leaked, but given the way they're searching, their numbers, and the fact that the forces had already gone out in sizeable numbers back in episode 13 (already without involving Cathedra/Dominicus at that point) as retaliation for Plant Quetta, whatever information they may have can't be too specific. It could even be a planet-wide drag, which they'd have more "justified presence" to do after word got out about the attack on the school, and we're only seeing a single ship's search vector of a greater effort. Jalil's the one who gives up the position by firing before any indication that they'd been sighted. Norea's convinced that Nika ratted them out, though, either because Shaddiq told her they caught her talking, or she just took it as a given as soon as Nika was allowed to leave the hangar alive.

(By the by, Shaddiq was there at the meeting, so he knew all about the Benerit forces heading to Earth, but it seems he didn't directly tell Naji.)

Hogama fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 25, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Hogama posted:

Regardless of how you align with Norea's outlook, she is certainly venting on Nika because of Sophie's death and already disliking her from the start rather than having any hard evidence that Nika gave away the Dawn of Fold headquarters location to the Benerit Group. She was cold on their first meeting before she pulled the knife, stating that it almost sounds like Nika's acting like a victim of Plant Quetta, and has already heard that Nika wants to try and be a bridge in Earth/Space relations. Then when Nika asks the girls to leave the school before their attack, she quickly concludes that Nika doesn't know anything about their communications, and Nika threatens to instead talk about herself and the shell companies, which sparks Norea to move to crush her and say that an orphan like her hasn't paid the Dawn of Fold back yet for getting her into school. She relents when Suletta enters the stage mostly because Sophie accepts the duel. Then Sophie goes off-script and gets herself dead. Nika's caught before she can actually reveal anything at all, but she DID reach someone, and thanks to Martin also calling about his own suspicions, the Benerit authorities at least have a lead connecting Nika to the Dawn of Fold.

By episode 15, the Benerit Group's garrison forces on Earth are actively searching for the Dawn of Fold, and Norea got word to Naji that their position's been leaked, but given the way they're searching, their numbers, and the fact that the forces had already gone out in sizeable numbers back in episode 13 (already without involving Cathedra/Dominicus at that point) as retaliation for Plant Quetta, whatever information they may have can't be too specific. It could even be a planet-wide drag, which they'd have more "justified presence" to do after word got out about the attack on the school, and we're only seeing a single ship's search vector of a greater effort. Jalil's the one who gives up the position by firing before any indication that they'd been sighted. Norea's convinced that Nika ratted them out, though, either because Shaddiq told her they caught her talking, or she just took it as a given as soon as Nika was allowed to leave the hangar alive.

(By the by, Shaddiq was there at the meeting, so he knew all about the Benerit forces heading to Earth, but it seems he didn't directly tell Naji.)

This is basically my read on the situation.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Yeah, neither of the teenagers has an entirely accurate idea of what it takes to end massive oppression and the resistant violence. On Nika's side, it's idealistic to the point of wilful ignorance to believe Earthians will be treated decently if they just ask nicely and act politely, the system needs a big shakeup and military action is a way to achieve that. But on Norea's side, Sophie was clearly a loose cannon more interested in her personal bloodlust than advancing the cause, and while the powers-that-be need to be given compelling reasons to take Earth seriously, attacking a school is only going to hurt their image. There's a reason the IRA announced their targets in advance, and generally stuck to military or government targets.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I wanna know how the hell Bellmeria is still alive. She “knows too much” from a half dozen different directions and has been alone with at least two different villains while they explained their top secret master plans to her.So many people have reason to want to silence her before she gets any funny ideas.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I realize that MGS has no monopoly on any of these elements, and Gundam had plenty of influence in the other direction

but the particular mix of politics, war, business, science, and silly bollocks makes this the most Metal Gear-feeling Gundam I've watched

and also this

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 25, 2023

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

lih posted:

i think shaddiq can have vaguely sympathetic motivations & goals while still being a piece of poo poo

That's my take as well. You can someone doing something vaguely noble while being a terrible person. Hell, history is littered with people like them

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Side note: it's cool that we get a Gundam show with characters named Saddiq, Nouria, Djalil and Naji. It's not exactly very often that you see Maghrebi/Egyptian characters in anime.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

galagazombie posted:

I wanna know how the hell Bellmeria is still alive. She “knows too much” from a half dozen different directions and has been alone with at least two different villains while they explained their top secret master plans to her.So many people have reason to want to silence her before she gets any funny ideas.

It's true she 'knows too much' from many different directions, but at the same time, some of the information she knows too much about makes her extremely valuable. She's brilliant, talented, and most importantly: Loyal. That's a combination that keeps a shocking amount of people alive.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

lih posted:

Yeah this is my take and what I was typing a lot of words about. Shaddiq is someone who is trying to change the absolutely terrible status quo to something less terrible. That's admirable! He's also a lying snake who cares nothing for human lives and betrays people the nanosecond they're not immediately useful to his personal plans, and everything about the way he's trying to change the current status quo is almost tailor made to maximize body count and collateral damage.

galagazombie posted:

She has an extremely rare and specialized skill set that is in very short supply on account of there being a two decade long purge and demonization campaign against people who have that specific skillset. If you want to work on GUND, you have a vanishingly tiny amount of people still alive who can actually do that, and an even tinier subset that have real skill in the field.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/oscarvonmyo/status/1650489727928225794?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Every assassin that attempts to take her out gets thwarted by another assassin from a different group attempting to take her out.

Every time Bel's on screen there's an entire Looney Tunes worth of assassination shenanigans just offscreen.