Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

LostCosmonaut posted:

https://twitter.com/FredSimonEU/status/1649116386457681931
check the size of the bars on Germany vs the values

Never mind Germany (said no European ever), what whimsical fuckery is up with Poland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

https://twitter.com/AlexSelbyB/status/1650226765195780099

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ambiguous Percent vs Inches feels like the thing the thread's been searching for, time to shut 'er down

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

From here: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jocd.15712

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
well now i gotta see scrotum four

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Agnostalgia posted:

well now i gotta see scrotum four

Get in line, buddy.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MrUnderbridge posted:

Never mind Germany (said no European ever), what whimsical fuckery is up with Poland?

They loving love coal.

Digging for it

Burning it

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

The worst part is that they almost had an idea here. Like, if all the lines had been a solid colour you might start running into shades that are hard to distinguish for some, but with a two colour gradient you get a few more options as you're now using all combinations of distinguishable colours. If you stare at the graph a bit you can say, oh right this one is yellow to blue and this one is blue to yellow so they're this one and that one, and so gradually extract some kind of data from it. Now, they could have just used some dotted lines and/or labelled the lines directly or something and had a graph that didn't require close study to get basic conclusions, and indeed they absolutely should have done that oh god, but its theoretically possible they meant well.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/SpecCoffeeHouse/status/1650486531809849344

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
abolish golf

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

can not imagine what event in the last few years might have reduced the competititveness of british agriculture

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

we get really sick eclipses, complete with the weird halo and everything

probably not a necessary component of human evolution but is :krad:

It's coincidence is all. Moon formed in a much closer orbit, and as tidal effects slow the earth's rotation and the moon's orbital speed, conservation of angular momentum raises the orbit. In the past it looked larger than the sun, in the future it'll be smaller.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Phanatic posted:

It's coincidence is all. Moon formed in a much closer orbit, and as tidal effects slow the earth's rotation and the moon's orbital speed, conservation of angular momentum raises the orbit. In the past it looked larger than the sun, in the future it'll be smaller.

And as cool as a total solar eclipse is, an annular eclipse is also really cool, so future civilizations won't lose out too badly.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:hai: I live near a golf course that I would love to see converted into a forest preserve. It would just about quintuple the public park space in the local area.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

And as cool as a total solar eclipse is, an annular eclipse is also really cool, so future civilizations won't lose out too badly.

I've seen both, and there's just no contest. Experiencing totality should be on everyone's bucket list.

Coincidentally, for all you US goons, there's a total eclipse coming in just under a year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_April_8,_2024

You want to be in the path of the black dot.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Powered Descent posted:

I've seen both, and there's just no contest. Experiencing totality should be on everyone's bucket list.

Coincidentally, for all you US goons, there's a total eclipse coming in just under a year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_April_8,_2024

I'll be kicking myself forever about the one back in 2017. I had to drive 60 or 70 miles to get into the path of totality on a perfectly cloudless day, I found the perfect rural spot to watch it alone....only to realize right as it peaked that I'd miscalculated and was just a couple of miles outside the true totality path.

I saw everything except for the corona, and It was still one of the coolest things I've seen, but to get that close and then just screw it up.... :negative:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'll be kicking myself forever about the one back in 2017. I had to drive 60 or 70 miles to get into the path of totality on a perfectly cloudless day, I found the perfect rural spot to watch it alone....only to realize right as it peaked that I'd miscalculated and was just a couple of miles outside the true totality path.

I saw everything except for the corona, and It was still one of the coolest things I've seen, but to get that close and then just screw it up.... :negative:

It is absolutely the weirdest thing i've ever experienced in person.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

For the Europeans, both in 2026 and 2027 there will be total eclipses in Spain.

The 2026 one will go roughly through the center of Spain but it'll be just an hour or so before sunset. The 2027 one will only be visible in the very south of Spain.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

:munch:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's less than four percent.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Thank you. This will be useful for frightening the peasants into heeding my auguries.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Captain Hygiene posted:

We weren't in the totality path for that one (will be next year! YAY!) but it happened on the first day of school, so I bought a cheap monocular and set it up with a big foamboard for shade on a tripid so it projected the eclipse onto the ground outside. Amazing start for my students that year. I was able to show some pinhole camera effect stuff too.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I happened to live in a town that became a huge meeting place for everyone wanting to see an eclipse. It was pretty rad. My ex, who had seen this before, said there would look like there were snakes on the ground, and it kinda did. It was weird.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

CainFortea posted:

It is absolutely the weirdest thing i've ever experienced in person.

I was eating and just glanced at this post and thought you said "in prison". I would have had so many questions but alas.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

A real competitor knows you always have to give 230%.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

It’s more that Nepomniachtchi was one game ahead with four left to play (and as Game 11 was drawn, he’s now one up with three left to play), so every game he doesn’t lose makes it harder for Ding to win the championship. Seems pretty clear to me. :shrug:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I am shocked that winning the game makes you more likely to win the game. Let us supplement this brilliant observation with percentages pulled directly out of our asses.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

They’re not really pulled out of their asses; Chess statistics is so far ahead it makes Moneyball look like a high school project.

Nepomniachtchi has about 20 Elo on Ding now, was one game up going into Game 11, and was playing white. Gut feeling alone indicates those odds are about right.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1641799627128143873

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

They loving love coal.

Digging for it

Burning it

I was talking about the bar sizes: 54 is way shorter than 50, but equal in size to 20? Wtf?

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

Agnostalgia posted:

A real competitor knows you always have to give 230%.

you're looking at that wrong. The probabilities displayed are (G_i is the result of game i):

P[winning championship | G_1, ..., G_10]

And then:

P[winning championship | G_1, ..., G_10, G_11=win]
P[winning championship | G_1, ..., G_10, G_11=draw]
P[winning championship | G_1, ..., G_10, G_11=loss]

i.e. they're conditioned on different events, you can't just add them.

(not a chess nerd so details are probably off but that's basically what it's saying)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MrUnderbridge posted:

I was talking about the bar sizes: 54 is way shorter than 50, but equal in size to 20? Wtf?

Oh right. Yeah it seems that all categories have their own scales. So all lignite bars are correct relative to each other but aren't comparable with hard coal.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

i would note that things are not going great in the UK at the moment and I'd expect our life expectancy to drop in the next few years

our health service is on its last legs and is either going to collapse or get privatized which to a lot of people will be the same thing. I'm guessing lots of cancers and other diseases that are best treated early are getting missed right about now. We're also releasing raw sewage into our rivers and coastal areas. We haven't even reached rock bottom yet.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Tree Goat posted:

e:
miss you big guy

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Loss edits are getting pretty abstract.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

MrUnderbridge posted:

Because of this:

Nenonen posted:

"bars show million tonnes of coal equivalent (Mtce) while figures at top of bars show millions of physical tons (Mt)"

WHY

So it's like if we had a chart showing goons where the bar was weight and the figure next to the bar was BMI.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ShimaTetsuo posted:

you're looking at that wrong. The probabilities displayed are (G_i is the result of game i):

P[winning championship | G_1, ..., G_10]

And then:

P[winning championship | G_1, ..., G_10, G_11=win]
P[winning championship | G_1, ..., G_10, G_11=draw]
P[winning championship | G_1, ..., G_10, G_11=loss]

i.e. they're conditioned on different events, you can't just add them.

(not a chess nerd so details are probably off but that's basically what it's saying)
Ok, but what's the over under?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

https://twitter.com/HPS_Vanessa/status/1579045494382133248

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/alexselbyb/status/1651173974577913859?s=46