Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

"Interference" lol. What was he "interfering" in, McCann's ability to play the rest of the series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
it's interference to hit somebody without the puck!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Interference in completing the firing of neurons to the brain.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Bruins sent Steen down to Providence, they sound optimistic for Bergeron :pray:

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Speaking of suspensions, how does Bunting draw back in for the Leafs? Keefe's already said Knies isn't coming out and he might have taken the Zach Hyman Memorial aggressive forechecking third wheel spot that Keefe likes.

I'd ride with
Jarnkrok-Auston-Willy
Knies-JT-Marner
Bunting-ROR-Kerf
ZAR/Lafferty-Kampf-Accari

Swapping Bunting-Jarnkrok would make a pretty darn good shutdown line, but I don't want to see Bunting getting big minutes...

Is there any justification for keeping Bunting out in favour of ZAR/Lafferty? Laff hasn't looked great and ZAR is just whatever. Non-dumbass Bunting is the better player, but is he totally broken?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Makar is definitely getting suspended, because he complained about not getting a call after getting brained by Jeff Carter a couple of months ago. You can't make the DOPS look bad and get away with it.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

mennoknight posted:

I'm in Toronto for work this week and I'd like to confirm that i'm absolutely insufferable

Very big of you to admit

pseudodragon posted:

Is there any justification for keeping Bunting out in favour of ZAR/Lafferty? Laff hasn't looked great and ZAR is just whatever. Non-dumbass Bunting is the better player, but is he totally broken?

I think this is basically the Kadri situation again. Do his benefits outweigh his drawbacks? A five minute major can absolutely lose a game for a team, and what are the chances he ends up taking another given his play and his reputation? I can get behind putting him on the third line if he promises to play super clean, but it's still a risk.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Come on guys, Makar only slammed a defenseless player's head in to the boards. It's not like he took off his skate and tried to stab McCann or something.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Misanthrope posted:

I don't see how anything can possibly go wrong for the Leafs now... I mean it's almost gotta be a guarantee they'll get out of the first round, how do you guys think you'll do in the second round?
FLA-TOR would be fun in a terra incognita kind of way. 2019 BOS-TOR the Bruins' physicality (4th in penalties taken, 6th in PPs drawn) exposed the Leafs' lack of it (31st in both). 2023 I forget which poster said the Bolts are quietly the dirtiest team in the league but they do somehow have more shenanigans than Boston without looking like Boston, Leafs are standing their ground now so it'd just be a matter of keephahahaha you got me

Leafs are 3-0 without Bunting (and 6-0 with Knies) so he'll probably come back and ruin the chemistry of one or more lines. Samsonov's been just-good-enough but he stayed in after giving up 3 on 7 in the second period, the Leafs don't have a Plan B so I expect Tampa to get as physical with him as it takes to lose his net even easier, failing all that the core four could just go invisible as only a 0-in-whatever closeout team can. I dare to dream but will be watching the last three games of this series with a bingo card in one hand and a beer in the other.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Misanthrope posted:

I don't see how anything can possibly go wrong for the Leafs now... I mean it's almost gotta be a guarantee they'll get out of the first round, how do you guys think you'll do in the second round?

Oh no, you aren't doing this. It ain't over until it's over. I do believe the Leafs look like a much better team than they have in year's past, but even if they go up 5-0 in Game 5, I am still going to be waiting until the final horn goes.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I think we all recognize the Leafs will blow this somehow. The only question is will it be more or less depressing than 2021 against the Habs?

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
hey, I'm rooting for the blue guys, I absolutely want TJ and Gio to win a cup. I also will be fine with seeing a bunch of dinguses suffer

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

ThinkTank posted:

I think we all recognize the Leafs will blow this somehow. The only question is will it be more or less depressing than 2021 against the Habs?

The leafs will achieve both by winning against Tampa, getting all the insufferable hype in the world, and then end with the wimpiest of whimpers by being swept in round 2.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

Nothing can beat how hilariously depressing 2021 was. Not just how badly they blew it, but also did it to end cap the season spanning documentary being filmed at the same time.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

I can’t imagine it would be worse then losing to one of the worst teams to ever make the playoffs. Not to mention your oldest rival.

Open to the possibilities though!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
What I don't get is Makar was like "i thought he had the puck" which is all well and good except he didn't have the puck. So that's on you, no? Like, in the past players have gotten hit with a high sticking penalty even though the receiving player of the high stick lifted the other players stick into their own face. The argument there is the player still needs to "be in control of their own stick" even if its being lifted by an opposing player.

So overall I do agree it was a weird play. There was a late whistle. But just because you didn't know where the puck ultimately was doesn't really matter at the end of the day...but I also agree that if he wasn't hurt then there would be no suspension.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Being hurt having any effect on possible suspension, huh?:allears:

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

soggybagel posted:

What I don't get is Makar was like "i thought he had the puck"
McCann's stick never touches the ice after his shot. I did wonder how much of Scheifele's 4 games on Jake Evans was for trying to bullshit the DPS so lol if Makar tries this in the hearing

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

I'd keep Bunting on the bench because his reputation with the refs is too much of a liability at this point.

e: All Bunting had to do was ride shotgun to Marner and Matthews and he could get a big payday in the offseason. That brain-dead penalty in game one cost him millions lol

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Lol you think his willingness to cause injury cost him money. Want to try that one again?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jhet posted:

It was not a good or even close to legal hit though and I think the injury on it may push it into 1 game suspension just because of how late after the puck it was.

https://twitter.com/nhlplayersafety/status/1650923303886790667?s=46&t=XRpaOgjWIXO-lwRQwa3yoA

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1650923303886790667

Makar gets 1 game. Still a good trade for the Avs since McCann is probably done for the series. Rational play is to run at the opposing team's leading scorer when they relax long after the play is over. And go ahead and do it with a star player rather than a scrub, since they will go lighter on the suspension that way.

Edit: beaten

DancingMachine fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 25, 2023

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Rangers had an embarrassing effort last game. no jam. also the crowds have sucked the last two games. maybe all of our rear end hole loud idiots went to Jersey?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Rangers had an embarrassing effort last game. no jam. also the crowds have sucked the last two games. maybe all of our rear end hole loud idiots went to Jersey?

Also North Carolina.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DancingMachine posted:

Makar gets 1 game. Still a good trade for the Avs since McCann is probably done for the series. Rational play is to run at the opposing team's leading scorer when they relax long after the whistle. And go ahead and do it with a star player rather than a scrub, since they will go lighter on the suspension that way.

Edit: beaten

The rational play is to play hockey and hit people when they're eligible to be hit or at least try to do it within the margin. Even regular season though this isn't going to be more than 2 games suspension. Players routinely rub out forwards in the corners and make the space disappear, this one was timed really poorly and the puck was no where near it happening. I don't think he was trying to injure here, but it was a bone headed play.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Shinjobi posted:

Being hurt having any effect on possible suspension, huh?:allears:

Yeah sorry Pavelski has brain damage. He should retire. I would have been fine with a suspension.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

What is the Wild fan consensus on Ryan Suter?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

In the rational part of my brain I understood why nobody roughed up Nico Hischier when he ran Igor in the 3rd because you don’t wanna go on the PK

But in the don cherry zone of my brain thats probably dead from past concussions, I was disgusted by the lack of jam the Rangers had defending their goalie

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I think Makar should be sitting for 3 to take him out the rest of the series, but the league sucks rear end

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Oh no, you aren't doing this. It ain't over until it's over. I do believe the Leafs look like a much better team than they have in year's past, but even if they go up 5-0 in Game 5, I am still going to be waiting until the final horn goes.

DBG's reaction to the game sums it up. https://theathletic.com/4448094/2023/04/25/maple-leafs-lightning-playoff-miracle?source=user-shared-article

quote:

Q: So the Leafs didn’t just pull off a major comeback, but… it was 4-1?

A: Yes it was, just like in 2013, as more than a few people have pointed out. Well, not just like 2013, because that collapse in Boston came in Game 7 and ended the series. This one isn’t over yet.

Q: Not technically, but… it’s over, right?

A: I mean this very sincerely and respectfully: Shut up.

Q: Come on, nobody comes back from a collapse like this. The Lightning gave the Leafs their two best punches, lost twice in overtime, and now they look exhausted and defeated. The Leafs have this wrapped up.

A: As Wendel as my witness, I will end you.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

morningdrew posted:

Bruins sent Steen down to Providence, they sound optimistic for Bergeron :pray:

Berge will probably play, but even if he doesn't, the Panthers don't have any answers for the Bruins defensive core (as long as they don't turn the puck over like they did in game 2)

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

DancingMachine posted:

Makar gets 1 game. Still a good trade for the Avs since McCann is probably done for the series. Rational play is to run at the opposing team's leading scorer when they relax long after the play is over. And go ahead and do it with a star player rather than a scrub, since they will go lighter on the suspension that way.

Petitioning the league to allow McDavid to wear a suit of retractable metal spikes that deploy like Wolverine's claws when the whistle blows.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Jhet posted:

The rational play is to play hockey and hit people when they're eligible to be hit or at least try to do it within the margin. Even regular season though this isn't going to be more than 2 games suspension. Players routinely rub out forwards in the corners and make the space disappear, this one was timed really poorly and the puck was no where near it happening. I don't think he was trying to injure here, but it was a bone headed play.

Yeah. Makar screwed up. No one disagrees that it was a penalty. He’s not a historically dirty player. One game is fine. The NHL isn’t going to turn into that Sub Zero scene from The Running Man off the back of this event.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

soggybagel posted:

Yeah sorry Pavelski has brain damage. He should retire. I would have been fine with a suspension.

At this point the only apologies I want are from the league. It's been a poo poo show in every game so far.

Far be it from me to criticize anyone else's knee jerking at this point

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:supaburn:

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

Jhet posted:

Makar is a much better player than Mcann, it's worse for the avs

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Until Makar comes back and McCann is still out.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

FootballFreak2 posted:

Makar is a much better player than Mcann, it's worse for the avs

Makar is the best defenceman on earth gone for one game but McCann is the Kraken's best forward and goalscorer who's likely gone for the playoffs. I'd take losing the healthy guy for one game over having arguably your best player injured long term.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I'd prefer a less murder-y playoff round, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

At least these playoffs haven't been infected with nightly nutshots like the NBA. There's something in the water over there.