Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Elviscat posted:

If you weren't in the Navy 4 days ago you could sit on your couch, smoke weed and watch a rocketship blow itself and other stuff up. If you were in the Navy you're probably underway working up for deployment or some other dork poo poo.

In other news, new LCS utilization plan is "hope some other dumbasses buy them"

are they gonna sell off littoral regiments next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The LCS is such a god damned boondoggle.

Met a random former bubblehead sonar tech at a wedding last night. Hopefully he’ll follow up with a VSO like I recommended and get his claim going.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Mr. Nice! posted:

The LCS is such a god damned boondoggle.

Met a random former bubblehead sonar tech at a wedding last night. Hopefully he’ll follow up with a VSO like I recommended and get his claim going.

In 91 when I was stationed on BARNSTABLE COUNTY, the career counselor told me I didn't want to go to the submarine fleet because the LCS was coming and they wouldn't need subs anymore.

He was also responsible for losing my two requests to leave the ship and attend submarine school even when I passed the minimum time that you have to spend stationed on a ship before you can do that. I ran a request to talk to the captain about it and somehow magically the message was sent out the next day and not much longer after that I received my orders.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Flyinglemur posted:

In 91 when I was stationed on BARNSTABLE COUNTY, the career counselor told me I didn't want to go to the submarine fleet because the LCS was coming and they wouldn't need subs anymore.

He was also responsible for losing my two requests to leave the ship and attend submarine school even when I passed the minimum time that you have to spend stationed on a ship before you can do that. I ran a request to talk to the captain about it and somehow magically the message was sent out the next day and not much longer after that I received my orders.

he was trying to do you a favor

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

ded posted:

he was trying to do you a favor

Did you miss the part about being on an LST?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Elviscat posted:

If you weren't in the Navy 4 days ago you could sit on your couch, smoke weed and watch a rocketship blow itself and other stuff up. If you were in the Navy you're probably underway working up for deployment or some other dork poo poo.

In other news, new LCS utilization plan is "hope some other dumbasses buy them"

Just roll them right from the shipyard to the scrapyard and save us the time and effort

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Don't worry we launched the last one the other day.

It broke a bunch of top side antennas in the process lol.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
More plans to ditch the LCS? I littorally can't believe it!

But in all seriousness, did we ever devise a plan to replace our minesweepers? Because last I remember, the mine sweeping modules for LCS got canned, and the Avengers are getting a little old....

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Putting them in fms isn't a terrible idea given the Saudis are buying a modified lcs.

I'm just biding my time until frigate work starts up, hopefully we don't ruin those lmaooooo

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Shunting all the LCSs over to permanent minehunters is the best of all possible fates for them, I think.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So... Zero seaworthy minesweepers? Bold strategy

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
So what happens when the new Constellations come on line and the grift becomes trying to claim they're bad for being unamerican?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

So... Zero seaworthy minesweepers? Bold strategy

I thought the navy had decided that helicopters were the best minesweepers?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

A.o.D. posted:

I thought the navy had decided that helicopters were the best minesweepers?

Yeah, but Seadragons can’t hunt which is a very different mission set.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Unfortunately, no matter how good the minesweeper is, about half the time you end up in a situation where there's two squares and one mine left and not enough information to do anything other than make a 50/50 guess.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Don't worry we launched the last one the other day.

It broke a bunch of top side antennas in the process lol.

Was that the one that hit the tugboat or another one launching catastrophically?

Either way good work to everyone involved

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Laranzu posted:

Was that the one that hit the tugboat or another one launching catastrophically?

Either way good work to everyone involved

Excuse me it *checks notes* narrowly missed the tug.

For real though the tug was wildly out of position, I don't know what anyone was thinking.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 27, 2023

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
They wanted to get cool pictures / videos.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Welp I’m safe from the chiefs mess for another year I missed being board eligible by less than a point.
I started my GS job this week and I’ll be honest with the amount of stuff on my plate this year I’m not terribly disappointed. Just start working on my studies and give it another shot next year.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Don’t tell anyone or an admiral might pull some strings for you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Are you sure they had all of the right awards and other things they can add extra points for you on there?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Crab dad gonna get a backdated NAM.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Mr. Nice! posted:

Crab dad gonna get a backdated NAM.

Backdated Silver Star from some combat action he didn’t even know he was in more like it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Are you sure they had all of the right awards and other things they can add extra points for you on there?

From what I remember, and I'm not going to double check, award points aren't used for E7

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Nick Soapdish posted:

From what I remember, and I'm not going to double check, award points aren't used for E7

The ghost of Admiral Boorda will manifest itself to make Crab Dad a Chief.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Got the call from my SEL last night.

Checked the quads. Yup. Still 196% overmanned. 18 out of 11 slots filled.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Xposting from the Lego thread since it is Navy related:

I got the parts in to build a small section of the hull of my new design for the sub. This part has the cross section that the dome will attachto/center on

Here it is side by side with the old design, for comparison

I grabbed the torpedo room I had started on, removed a few bricks and did some SNOT magic underneath it just to see what I need to do. Was very happy that it basically fits.

Overall very happy with the shape and size. I definitely need to figure out how to make it more module because it was hard enough getting it together with nothing in the middle. I have some ideas on what to do, but I really like the way it is looking now and I can't wait to keep designing it and making this happen.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Seward, Alaska. 34 and SNOWING snowing. Evening colors at 2200.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1653493985644609537?t=iwUTwSB--RRW5x5EROcf4w&s=19

Great way to go

scripterror
Sep 6, 2011

Nap Ghost

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Is the intended message "Go, and do thou likewise"?

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
They got Bald Eagles like pigeons out here.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

After the first time, I always warned my sailors to never try to outdrink the Royal Navy.

They never listened :britain:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The NetherlandsEC Denmark has opened the Faroe Islands, and Iceland's opened Reykjavik to nuclear powered subs, Tromsø is apparently open again too.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-navy-submarines-more-visible-message-to-russian-sub-fleet-2023-5?amp

Pretty interesting from a geopolitical perspective, and kinda makes me want to do another EUCOM deployment.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 4, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
The gently caress does The Netherlands have to do with the Faroe Islands?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SerthVarnee posted:

The gently caress does The Netherlands have to do with the Faroe Islands?

Nothing?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I know, I'm just grumpy today and being a dick about pointing out Elviscat's mixing up of Dutch/Danish.

Don't mind me.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Netherlands, Denmark, same country really.

(Speed posting over a break at work, my mistake)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
You're American, you NEVER apologize for not knowing the basics of anything outside of football, beer, big trucks and FREEDOM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

maffew buildings posted:

You're American, you NEVER apologize for not knowing the basics of anything outside of football, beer, big trucks and FREEDOM