Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hâte getting sucked off by wrestlers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

It’s just like real-life pro wrestling.

A great Heel Turn moment, merked the crowd hard.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

SkeletonHero posted:

Yeah, he wasn't killing anyone, just sucking off their fighting essence.

Yes, so definitely just like real-life pro wrestling.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

It sucks especially if you go the Gladiator route that takes forever to master.

I've started Dq7 and I'm really not feeling it so far, the little individual worlds just feel a bit basic and I'm not feeling the big story yet.

Oh hey look what class I made the Hero....

How are you playing DQVII? I want to do that next but might need to go back and do 2 instead

Edit: Ranger class is insane. Master 3 classes, then you can have this. Thanks mate, Im at end game and still not into this vocation.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 25, 2023

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Barudak posted:

Edit: Ranger class is insane. Master 3 classes, then you can have this. Thanks mate, Im at end game and still not into this vocation.
it also just sucks

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I'll be the killjoy and say that nobody died

Nobody died during THAT tournament because Arachtagon was stopped in time. But Vince has been winning tournaments and feeding the other fighters to Arachtagon for a while.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

I've started Dq7 and I'm really not feeling it so far, the little individual worlds just feel a bit basic and I'm not feeling the big story yet.

Aren't the little individual worlds the main focus? I honestly do not remember anything about a "big story", who the archvillain was, or why they were engaging in villainy. Was it related to protag's dad going out fishing at the start?

I do remember killing God, though. I'm not sure exactly why he was there, but he made a fine optional superboss.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Ofecks posted:

Aren't the little individual worlds the main focus? I honestly do not remember anything about a "big story", who the archvillain was, or why they were engaging in villainy. Was it related to protag's dad going out fishing at the start?

I do remember killing God, though. I'm not sure exactly why he was there, but he made a fine optional superboss.

He's all "Well you got everything fixed so you really don't need me, if you want to test your abilities though we can fight." He does give you parts of the second optional dungeon if you beat him in less than 20 turns a few times.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Gotta say, having Old Testament God be in the flashbacks and poo poo and then the actual Almighty be just Santa Claus and have the audacity to go “god Mervyn, you aged like poo poo” if he’s in the party is one of the lowkey funnier moments in the game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dragon Quest VII is "oops, all vignettes"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ofecks posted:

The give hints early on, and it picks up towards the middle of the game. Orgodemir is the reason all the worlds vanish, and he does it because he seems humans as reflections of the almighty.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Petiso posted:

Nobody died during THAT tournament because Arachtagon was stopped in time. But Vince has been winning tournaments and feeding the other fighters to Arachtagon for a while.

After going back through the Octagonia story, it is strangely difficult to get a sense of how much time has passed.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

YggiDee posted:

Dragon Quest VII is "oops, all vignettes"

You say it like it's a bad thing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
No, I think it's great. loving love DQVII.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ugh, after a multiple hours grinding session to try to avoid wiping on mortamor I get a bad roll and... wipe on Mortamor. I don't think I have it in me to finish DQVI

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Did you use phase 2 to stack buffs? He hits like a coked up bulldozer but also only ever uses physical attacks so you can eventually buff yourself enough to no-sell him and buff your entire team enough to give a few turns of leeway on phase 3. Also, Knuckle Sandwich has a high success rate on the phase 3 hands.

Not that, you know, I blame you for just noping out there, Mortamor’s easily the nastiest final boss in the series (to the point where they included party chat dialogue for the post-wipe rematch!) and he’s probably even harder than in the SNES version since they nerfed Magic Burst and all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Did you use phase 2 to stack buffs? He hits like a coked up bulldozer but also only ever uses physical attacks so you can eventually buff yourself enough to no-sell him and buff your entire team enough to give a few turns of leeway on phase 3. Also, Knuckle Sandwich has a high success rate on the phase 3 hands.

Not that, you know, I blame you for just noping out there, Mortamor’s easily the nastiest final boss in the series (to the point where they included party chat dialogue for the post-wipe rematch!) and he’s probably even harder than in the SNES version since they nerfed Magic Burst and all.

He cast whatever the de-buff the entire party spell is on entering phase 3. Phase 2 was tedium because the only debuff enemy spells as far as I can tell are on the Hero job and despite grinding for ages Im still not there yet on the hero.

Are fire attacks physical?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Fire/ice moves are their own subdivision of typed damage because oldschool Dragon Quest loved being obtuse about elements but aside from Flame/Kacrackle Slash iirc they’re just treated like spells that have a fixed range of damage. If you’re referring to the final boss’ orb attacks in phase one, those are I think also unintuitively just cool looking physical attacks.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

In fact, I think Frizz is a different element from Sizz, which is also a different element from fire breath attacks, at least in some of the DQ games. The DQ element system is kind of a mess.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, iirc IX is when the spells are mostly intuitive, with the outlier of Bang being holy-elemental at least in XI, which’ll really trip you up since usually it’s the element undead resist (because they come in big mobs of zombie x 3/zombie x 1/zombie x2 and they don’t want you to curbstomp them that easily).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are too many resistances and immunities in dq and there's no way to check them in-game. it'd be nice if there was at least a message about an enemy resisting an attack.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
press turn system for dq12, let's go

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

DQ6 has some weird element things in general. Like lightning slash isnt considered zap damage

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there are too many resistances and immunities in dq and there's no way to check them in-game. it'd be nice if there was at least a message about an enemy resisting an attack.

Yeah, given the degree to which enemies can resist attacks (like, for instance, in VIII at least enemies take either full, 80%, 30% or no damage from spells and it feels like that’s how it works in V-VII) it kinda sucks that there’s nothing except VIII’s bestiary blurbs mentioning that stuff. I use Snooze in like every DQ except 1 but a lot of the other ailments have shaky base rates on top of you having to wing it on resists that make them super meh.

Nihilarian posted:

DQ6 has some weird element things in general. Like lightning slash isnt considered zap damage

I think this is still the case in VIII lol, I kinda get it because Zap is the best element in the game but at the same time just make the move Explosion Slash then.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Barudak posted:

Ugh, after a multiple hours grinding session to try to avoid wiping on mortamor I get a bad roll and... wipe on Mortamor. I don't think I have it in me to finish DQVI

Yep I think it took multiple multi hours grinding sessions to get to level 42 or 43 to beat him. Savage.

Dq7 is proving a hard graft at the moment, a lot of having to speak to every person in a town to advance the story, scouring every corner to find the fragments then move on.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zap being the best element in the game doesn't come from any intrinsic value it possesses as an element, it comes from the potency of the individual spells that utilize it and the scarcity of zap resist. There's really no reason Lightning Slash can't be zap damage. At most I'd say a potency penalty compared to other slashes

Armamentalist didn't really impress me anyways though so

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

Zap being the best element in the game doesn't come from any intrinsic value it possesses as an element, it comes from the potency of the individual spells that utilize it and the scarcity of zap resist. There's really no reason Lightning Slash can't be zap damage. At most I'd say a potency penalty compared to other slashes

Armamentalist didn't really impress me anyways though so

I mean, that’s kinda what I mean when I say it’s the best element, yeah. I don’t think 130% damage that nothing would resist would be the end of the world even if that would make it the best single target move after casting Oomph in VI/VII, but I get why *they’d* think that way, if that makes sense.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Commander Keene posted:

In fact, I think Frizz is a different element from Sizz, which is also a different element from fire breath attacks, at least in some of the DQ games. The DQ element system is kind of a mess.

Which elements elemental skills correspond to is goofy as well. IIRC Flame Slash in VIII is Sizz element, which is confusing because it’s a single-target skill.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Elemental weaknesses are somewhat possible to suss out just from damage numbers, but I really REALLY hope XII has different language for status resistance. All you would need is "so-and-so resists Snooze" if they can't be snoozed and leave "But it missed!" for when it fails but it's still possible. Etc. Such an easy implementation, and baffling that for 30+ years they've never bothered to differentiate.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

In Training posted:

baffling that for 30+ years they've never bothered to <xyz>.

That's basically DragonQuest.txt. The games are intentionally designed to be simplistic and traditional. There's this comfort level to them that makes them easy to jump right in and play without a ton of overlapping gameplay systems. That said, I agree that it would be good if they had more useful feedback at times.

I like the way World of Warcraft handles resistances (eventually, after many patches): it has real-time combat and uses floating damage numbers, but if you try an ability on an enemy that's immune to it, the damage text will say "Immune". There's also "Resist", "Miss", "Dodge", "Parry", "Absorb", etc.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I think I'm done with DQIII. There's still more postgame stuff that I'd love to see because it looks neat but...I just don't have it in me to get to it. There's no way for me to unlock it without defeating Divinegon faster, and the only way to do that is to level grind. And I tried but...it's just too tedious. Grinding is just too slow and too frustrating in this game. I don't have the patience.

So I've moved on to replaying DW I&II, the game(s) that got me into the series in the first place. Seemed like the thing to do, especially after the "To Be Continued in Dragon Warrior I" at the end of III. It's been a while since I played them.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh most of the Dragon Quest postgames are too grindy for me, like the main campaigns can usually be beaten with a minimum of that, or none at all, but the big beefy stats combined with them expecting you not just to win, but dominate the postgame fights mean they just drag. Usually neat dungeons though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think I'm done with DQIII. There's still more postgame stuff that I'd love to see because it looks neat but...I just don't have it in me to get to it. There's no way for me to unlock it without defeating Divinegon faster, and the only way to do that is to level grind. And I tried but...it's just too tedious. Grinding is just too slow and too frustrating in this game. I don't have the patience.

So I've moved on to replaying DW I&II, the game(s) that got me into the series in the first place. Seemed like the thing to do, especially after the "To Be Continued in Dragon Warrior I" at the end of III. It's been a while since I played them.

II is a fine game so long as one doesn't play the original FC/NES games. I played the SFC remake and then the mobile port some years apart and had a very satisfactory experience. I think that many have either never played any of the remakes or only really remember the NES version (negative nostalgia?) and piddle on it as a sort of social reflex.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Grind is kinda the point of the DQ postgame, those that have it anyways. DQ9's the biggest offender with how ridiculous the legacy boss grottos can get.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

JustJeff88 posted:

II is a fine game so long as one doesn't play the original FC/NES games. I played the SFC remake and then the mobile port some years apart and had a very satisfactory experience. I think that many have either never played any of the remakes or only really remember the NES version (negative nostalgia?) and piddle on it as a sort of social reflex.

Yeah when I played the GBC version years ago I don't really remember II being particularly awful, so I assume all the bad experiences people have with it are based solely on the NES version.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Grind is kinda the point of the DQ postgame, those that have it anyways. DQ9's the biggest offender with how ridiculous the legacy boss grottos can get.

I think really the big problem I have with it is just that the best option for grinding is only Metabbles, and that's only 10k per Metabble, which quickly becomes very little when it takes eight or nine of them to gain a single level once you get high enough. There's also no real good options to take them out. BeDragon is great, but a lot of MP and only worth casting if there's more than one or two, Falcon Blade strategies are similar since you're having to rely on them not immediately escaping during the first turn. There's Poison Needles but only Mages and Thieves can equip that, and relying on it triggering is about the same as relying on them not immediately escaping.

It's just too tedious to rely on an enemy that's extremely rare, has a high chance of giving you nothing, and is difficult to defeat. And yeah, I know that's just how Metals have always been in DQ games, but I did all the postgame stuff in 8 and I don't remember being super frustrated with the grind. Probably because there's a lot of late game options that make Metals easier to take out so it's less "Be incredibly, exceptionally lucky constantly." And also King Metals help too.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

literally swimming in levels in 11 with how often king metals and upgraded versions of them showed up in the final dungeon(s).

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Alxprit posted:

literally swimming in levels in 11 with how often king metals and upgraded versions of them showed up in the final dungeon(s).

And then you figure out how to summon metals and grind your way to 99 over the course of ten minutes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Alxprit posted:

Also helps that you get a command that’s like “this costs like 60 MP but it Will literally always kill a malicious metal king slime”.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
POV: You are a Metal King Slime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah when I played the GBC version years ago I don't really remember II being particularly awful, so I assume all the bad experiences people have with it are based solely on the NES version.

I think really the big problem I have with it is just that the best option for grinding is only Metabbles, and that's only 10k per Metabble, which quickly becomes very little when it takes eight or nine of them to gain a single level once you get high enough. There's also no real good options to take them out. BeDragon is great, but a lot of MP and only worth casting if there's more than one or two, Falcon Blade strategies are similar since you're having to rely on them not immediately escaping during the first turn. There's Poison Needles but only Mages and Thieves can equip that, and relying on it triggering is about the same as relying on them not immediately escaping.

It's just too tedious to rely on an enemy that's extremely rare, has a high chance of giving you nothing, and is difficult to defeat. And yeah, I know that's just how Metals have always been in DQ games, but I did all the postgame stuff in 8 and I don't remember being super frustrated with the grind. Probably because there's a lot of late game options that make Metals easier to take out so it's less "Be incredibly, exceptionally lucky constantly." And also King Metals help too.

Using the silver harp when standing on the stairs of the tower of kol(?) entrance has really high encounter rates for them iirc. I forget if it was a NES or SFC version thing or if others are like it.