Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Here lies Ipoo, He Never Scored.

No seriously, break up with her and go to your true love, Sendo.

Fun and entertaining issue lots of tension and Kumi getting fed up.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Ytlaya posted:

I hope that Mashiba uses this opportunity to tell Ippo to man up and do something. I feel like the "twist" here is going to be that Mashiba is annoyed at Ippo's inaction, rather than being angry about him dating Kumi.

I mean, stringing one's sibling along for literal years is a pretty worthy thing to be angry about.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

He's wanting to know if Kumi will be taken care of regardless of how the next match goes for him. Mashiba is gonna try to cross "the line." He's afraid.

My best guess.

:same:
Him just being pissed someone is dating his sister would be too obvious and we've already done that multiple times. Even this manga isn't that repetitive :v:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I unironically and genuinely think this is the moment that we finally move forward. Mori has never been THAT blatant with them before, they've come close to kissing a few times but this was multiple times in quick succession and a pretty blatant acknowledgment of what Ippo was there for, + Kumi flat out saying that she wanted some movement.

Also having a decent feel for Morikawa's writing style, I think he made this chapter comedic so he could do some tonal whiplash at the start of next chapter

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
those last 3 panels really got me lol

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

"Masiba, if you win the world champ title, i'm gonna marry Kumi"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Aoi posted:

I mean, stringing one's sibling along for literal years is a pretty worthy thing to be angry about.

It is, though I think Ippo is still under the impression that Mashiba is angry at the idea of him dating Kumi in the first place.

tbp posted:

I unironically and genuinely think this is the moment that we finally move forward. Mori has never been THAT blatant with them before, they've come close to kissing a few times but this was multiple times in quick succession and a pretty blatant acknowledgment of what Ippo was there for, + Kumi flat out saying that she wanted some movement.

Also having a decent feel for Morikawa's writing style, I think he made this chapter comedic so he could do some tonal whiplash at the start of next chapter

Same, I think it's finally time. I feel like the comic is finally actually moving ever since the retirement arc started.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CharlestonJew posted:

those last 3 panels really got me lol

ippos eyes in the penultimate panel when he releases what he's just said

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

the pee-wee's great adventure eyes in the dark, I can't stop giggling at them

also lmao ippo casually dropping a "you'd make a great second" on page 10 and none of them realizing that when ippo says that he means "I love you"

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

what chapter did the last anime season ended on?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

~558, it's the eagle fight I think

technically the anime ends with the kamogawa flashback tho which happens earlier in the manga

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

GateOfD posted:

"Masiba, if you win the world champ title, i'm gonna marry Kumi"

Lol

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Do you imagine this as one hit, or multiple hits?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
multiple. Definitely multiple

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Its drawn like its multiple hits but there is only one ”BANG” text so idk.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I'm Team One Hit

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Maybe Mashiba will make Ippo fight him before he will accept him as Kumi's boyfriend. Ippo beating the poo poo out of his sparring partners before their important fights has worked out well for them recently!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

its one hit because mashiba did a flicker fist slam

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

best chapter in a long while

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

So close Ippo!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

we are getting there. its finally moving.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Itagaki the only person in the entire universe, inside and out of the manga, that thinks there's a chance for development

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
A+, top grade, put it in a museum

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
lmfaooooo I know we had panels of angry face kumi but my god i was laughing so hard at seeing Mashiba recoil at Kumi lashing out at him. Apple doesnt fall from far the tree does it

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

love it, no notes

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

everything i ever wanted to happen in the next chapter, happened

omg so many kumi faces

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 23, 2023

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i like that ippo "taking mashiba's side" is also him talking to himself about kumi/boxing. it's a neat way to have ippo "realize the point" of kumi's general antagonism to the idea of him returning to boxing. like he says "even if he's going about it the wrong way, i don't think you can blame someone doing all of that for you". it gives kumi a chance to realize her own frustrations with ryou are mirrored with ippo/boxing, she may be "going about it the wrong way" but ippo can't really blame her at the same time. neat dynamic

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

omg so many kumi faces

More like Oni-chan, amiright :japan:

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Kumi faces are great, but Ryo pulls some good ones too

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Great chapter, I like that they're actually finally discussing this stuff. It's a low bar, but a lot (honestly probably most) of non-romance manga* will just be like "and Protagonist ended up with Love Interest" during the last chapter/epilogue.

* in the sense of "romance isn't their primary genre"

Edit: I should use this as an excuse to contact this old friend I haven't spoken with in like 10 years (who was also into Ippo). Just be like "yo Ippo is finally getting with Kumi." Way back in college we both got really deep into weight-lifting due to Ippo. I remember getting super pumped at the Ippo/Sendo climax scene from the original anime series lol. I'd watch it before going to the gym.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 24, 2023

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

oh god he took off the weights to talk about what he liked about her

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i appreciate the acknowledgement that this is a primarily vibes-based romance

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Rubellavator posted:

oh god he took off the weights to talk about what he liked about her

i thought that was hilarious

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

tbp posted:

i thought that was hilarious

Yeah, this got a laugh out of me.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lmao Kumi is the only person on the planet that scares her brother

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I have a bad habit of reading the word bubbles more than the art so I didn't really catch it on the first read.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

And...we're back. Chapter 1422

Actually a pretty interesting exchange between Ippo and Mashiba.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
When Morikawa dives deep into character work, this manga pops the gently caress off, this chapter rips rear end

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Nice
!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

God drat what a strong chapter

Ok dudes, you can stop dicking around and make a few more seasons of the fuckin anime already