Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

jokes posted:

A stands for "advance"
B stands for "back"
X is a stand-in for multiple variables in algebra and in video games: for example a submenu of quick actions or an interactive map.
Y is the gamer asking "why? why am I doing this?" and opens your general menu, which gives you access to everything in the game-- status, items, quests, etc.

I just made this up
I like that the Playstation buttons were explicitly designed to have meaning and basically nobody ever followed the scheme.

Sony's Teiyu Goto posted:

Other game companies at the time assigned alphabet letters or colors to the buttons. We wanted something simple to remember, which is why we went with icons or symbols, and I came up with the triangle-circle-X-square combination immediately afterward. I gave each symbol a meaning and a color. The triangle refers to viewpoint; I had it represent one’s head or direction and made it green. Square refers to a piece of paper; I had it represent menus or documents and made it pink. The circle and X represent ‘yes’ or ‘no’ decision-making and I made them red and blue respectively. People thought those colors were mixed up, and I had to reinforce to management that that’s what I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

If Circle was supposed to be accept it should have been green and X should have been red for cancel.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Question Mark Mound posted:

I like that the Playstation buttons were explicitly designed to have meaning and basically nobody ever followed the scheme.

If I understand correctly the design has red=yes, blue=no? Yeah, good luck with that. And apart from branding or targeting pre-reading kids, triangle/square isn't particularly more memorable than A/B, just longer to pronounce. Just like select/start are a lot easier to refer to as opposed to uh, that square/square button thing which is in the same place as the old start button. Unless I'm confusing it with the triple line one.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The square square button is on the select side, start is the hamburger button

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

If Circle was supposed to be accept it should have been green and X should have been red for cancel.

Well, it should have been a checkmark, duh.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
the only button labels that have ever stuck for me are the playstation ones, gently caress letters

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

sigher posted:

It’s a Japan thing. A red circle is the sign for “yes” and a blue cross for “no” so in the local market it made perfect sense.

Also each of the symbols use a different amount of lines to draw, which I like as an extra touch. Circle 1, cross 2, triangle 3, square 4.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 26, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cursed.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Hopper posted:

Well, it should have been a checkmark, duh.

I was extremely confused the first time I got a computer pop-up where I could pick 'X' or '✓' as the only responses. My cultural understanding for both was "error". I had no clue which was intended as yes and which as no, I just had to guess.

I have since learned that in Anglophone countries you do weird things like use checkmarks to mark correct answers in exams, rather than mistakes.

Finding an unambiguous set of symbols for a global audience is hard to impossible. I like the Playstation ones because at least they don't tie themselves to something with as much baggage as an alphabet, but as the circle-cross split indicates that doesn't make them universal. Even the controls make assumptions: there might be an isolated tribe of hardcore Tzeltal gamers confused that up/down are so often character relative forward/back in situations where uphill/downhill would be natural.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Question Mark Mound posted:

It’s a Japan thing. A red circle is the sign for “yes” and a blue cross for “no” so in the local market it made perfect sense.

Also each of the symbols use a different amount of lines to draw, which I like as an extra touch. Circle 1, cross 2, triangle 3, square 4.

A clear condemnation of Scottish independence from Japan.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, around here we used to use % for correct and ✓ for incorrect, although I think they've been getting pushed out because ~American cultural imperialism~. Circle for yes and cross for no make as much sense to me as using a checkmark for correct. Funnily enough, Japan also uses the triangle to mark "almost correct", which might or might not have something to do with the PS controller layout.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I can't tell if you're all trolling or if there's some internationalization issues on SA and I'm actually seeing different symbols than you're typing.

Color-accessibility issues aside, green and red are pretty universal right? Or are there countries where traffic lights have blue and plaid in them?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
no the ✓ is actually used as a wrong mark when checking stuff by hand, probably because doing a full batsu every time is :effort: and a checkmark is kinda half an x? :v:

a ○ means correct/yes. i haven't seen a % used for correct before tho

e: there's also the gestures

e2: also, china stock market has red for up because communism goes faster

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 26, 2023

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

barbecue at the folks posted:

Japan also uses the triangle to mark "almost correct", which might or might not have something to do with the PS controller layout.
When I first saw that in a JRPG for elemental damage or something, for some reason I assumed triangle was “super good” and so even more powerful than a circle, so I ended up using the wrong attacks.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

the x box controller is the best and the deck was right to copy it. we're still undoing the damage caused by japan's decades-long dominance of video games

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If the Xbox controller was the best it wouldn’t have the left stick in the completely wrong place

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

History Comes Inside! posted:

If the Xbox controller was the best it wouldn’t have the left stick in the completely wrong place

Luckily, it does not

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Let's be real here,the Steam Controller is the pinnacle of peripherals

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Xbox is most ergonomically designed but Sony decided ergonomics are less important than symmetry and logic so you strain your left thumb when you play on a playstation before hitting a red button to say 'yes' in America

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sorry about your hosed up hands that can’t work controllers with the sticks placed correctly

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Let's be real here,the Steam Controller is the pinnacle of peripherals

it was so poo poo they were giving it away to clear the stock

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Sorry about your hosed up hands that can’t work controllers with the sticks placed correctly

turn on your monitor

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've never had as many sticks wear out and die so quickly as on dualshocks too. Just real pieces of poo poo

I've never had a Steam Controller and I don't want one so I guess it's better than at least one controller lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I wasn't aware when you hold a controller your left thumb naturally juts out to where Sony placed the left thumbstick but that's not normal my dude

They put the D-pad where your left thumb naturally rests because the original design came out when games only had D-pad input so it was ergonomically designed. Sony, of course, refused to change with the times and now their controllers loving suck

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve never had a DualShock go bad in 20 years of Playing Station maybe you should just not break your controllers

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

jokes posted:

I wasn't aware when you hold a controller your left thumb naturally juts out to where Sony placed the left thumbstick but that's not normal my dude

They put the D-pad where your left thumb naturally rests because the original design came out when games only had D-pad input so it was ergonomically designed. Sony, of course, refused to change with the times and now their controllers loving suck

Nah, they're good.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've never used sticks on controllers much because they suck, and the dpad is in a more comfortable position on the playstation controller and used more in games i play so

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

maybe the sticks just suck on a playstation controller and if you used a good controller you would be a stick man

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

How do you play literally any game that isn’t some turn based menu fest released in the last 10-15 years

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I’ve never had a DualShock go bad in 20 years of Playing Station maybe you should just not break your controllers

:same:

Also the Dualsense is the best controller.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

How do you play literally any game that isn’t some turn based menu fest released in the last 10-15 years

with a mouse and keyboard like normal people

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Truga posted:

with a mouse and keyboard like normal people

lol fuckingh nerd

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There are plenty of good games that rely on thumbsticks to play:

Doom
Halo (all of them, every single one of them)
Final Fantasy 14

End of list

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lol fuckingh nerd

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i will never play a real time game on a controller, i just can't
i've been playing pc games for 30 years and my hands just can't handle it, i've tried

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kb+m is for playing Microsoft Excel and nothing else

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
no, that's kb only i'm pretty sure

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kb+m is for playing Microsoft Excel and nothing else