Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

while catabolic capitalism isn't going to usher in a new era of social relations, it is going to open up revolutionary avenues that have been sealed off for 70 years. it's one thing to maintain stability and control when the bullets and food come from somewhere the working class can't reach them, quite another to do it when the bullet factory and the farm is right there at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Zodium posted:

while catabolic capitalism isn't going to usher in a new era of social relations, it is going to open up revolutionary avenues that have been sealed off for 70 years. it's one thing to maintain stability and control when the bullets and food come from somewhere the working class can't reach them, quite another to do it when the bullet factory and the farm is right there at home.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Crazyweasel posted:

my brother is going through a rough patch so I wanted to get him some pizza from a place he likes. Went to their website, had to make an account to order delivery.

Get a call ID’ed as doordash telling me he is at the house.

so now business websites have their own UI that then swivel chairs to just doing a loving doordash order? lol so efficient

If the Dasher fees are less than what you can charge the customer, why not outsource it and pocket the difference? It's what I thought Uber or Lyft should have become: a universal dispatch service for every existing cab, limo, nonemergency medical transport, and chauffer company out there. Probably would have had a steady gig being the dispatch-tech kings, but steady was never the goal...it was always about breaking labor's back

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Zodium posted:

:nsa:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BloombergAU/status/1651131650716098560?s=20

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

webcams for christ posted:

I'm still having a hard time understanding why Citi et al observing that there's money to be made as the wealth gap widens to extremes is being treated as a very special observation deserving of its own unique historical category of "Plutonomy" that's somehow different from the run-up to other major global crashes

"the economy will be fine" as in the refrain of Fed Governors.Treasury Secretaries, and capitalists confident they can weather a depression. they're correct as long as capitalism exists.

megacorps, haves/have-nots, and record profits aren't novel and we're a long, long way from crime skyrocketing into the only means for lumpen to consume and reproduce

As income/wealth inequality worsens, if corporations are increasingly targeting wealthier classes, then the standard of living of the lower classes will stagnate or fall. The poor of America have a lower standard of living than the poor of Slovenia, for example. The rich of America have rapidly increasing standards of living.

Housing is an obvious example, where the only new housing that gets developed is for upper classes. Cars too, where the bottom of the market is disappearing.

Clothing brands moving towards luxury buyers means that poorer classes lose reasonably priced quality options. The replacement brands in fast-fashion (like H&M, Target and Walmart store brands, etc) offer low quality garments with high replacement rates. Americans buy 5x more garments per person today than they did in 1980, for example.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

As income/wealth inequality worsen, if corporations are increasingly targeting wealthier classes, then the standard of living of the lower classes will stagnate or fall. The poor of America have a lower standard of living than the poor of Slovenia, for example. The rich of America have rapidly increasing standards of living.

Housing is an obvious example, where the only new housing that gets developed is for upper classes. Cars too, where the bottom of the market is disappearing.

Clothing brands moving towards luxury buyers means that poorer classes lose reasonably priced quality options. The replacement brands in fast-fashion (like H&M, Target and Walmart store brands, etc) offer low quality garments with high replacement rates. Americans buy 5x more garments per person today than they did in 1980, for example.

lol it ends right at 2020 wouldnt mind 2023 numbers im guessing that neat little bar is going the opposite way

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

it's fucken dire here. national rental vacancies are at like 1%. perth and adelaide are 0.5%! what the gently caress! maybe build some dwellings!

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

HallelujahLee posted:

lol it ends right at 2020 wouldnt mind 2023 numbers im guessing that neat little bar is going the opposite way

The actual graphic in the articles goes to 2021

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

The actual graphic in the articles goes to 2021

can you link it wouldnt mind getting a read

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

malls were better than online shopping and deserted understaffed strip mall warehouses

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

been saying this

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mola Yam posted:

it's fucken dire here. national rental vacancies are at like 1%. perth and adelaide are 0.5%! what the gently caress! maybe build some dwellings!

That would dilute the investment of current owners and can never be done again

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20230426_23/

japan's population dropping up to 30% by 2070 in something that should shock no one as it's been alluded to like a hundred times already

Apr 7, 2003

I'm not even sure if building new housing has any effect on housing costs anywhere anymore, we've been building apartment / condo buildings like apeshit here for the past 15 years and the average 1br rent went from $750 to $1460 in that time period.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mola Yam posted:

0.07% in Zurich lmao

As income/wealth inequality worsens, if corporations are increasingly targeting wealthier classes, then the standard of living of the lower classes will stagnate or fall. The poor of America have a lower standard of living than the poor of Slovenia, for example. The rich of America have rapidly increasing standards of living.

these are good examples, but I don't think anything in your post is new information to readers of this thread? we've been watching it happen before our eyes for over 30 years.

if you missed it on the last page, Zodium did a good job teasing out the distinction between Citi's advice to investors vs accurately describing whats going on:

the West seems to be reaching the limits of growth on how much can be plundered plundering from outside the imperial core and so (possibly for the first time) capital, in order to keep growing, needs to plunder inside the core at a rate that threatens system stability, hence "Catabolic Capitalism"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm not even sure if building new housing has any effect on housing costs anywhere anymore, we've been building apartment / condo buildings like apeshit here for the past 15 years and the average 1br rent went from $750 to $1460 in that time period.

You haven't been building enough. I'm not joking. Houston is the only city I've seen building enough to keep up and it's because they're adding about 50,000 homes a year.

Apr 7, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

You haven't been building enough. I'm not joking. Houston is the only city I've seen building enough to keep up and it's because they're adding about 50,000 homes a year.

The county's population only went up by 11,000 2007-2022

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Reminding you of the algorithm app landlords use to collude with each other and ensure no one rents at below market

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The county's population only went up by 11,000 2007-2022

If you had built 500,000 new houses in that time I guarantee that rents would be lower.

Apr 7, 2003

The entire US only builds around 1.1m new housing units a year, not sure if it’s productive to say that building half a year’s housing output for the entire nation in a 740 square mile area would affect housing costs

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1651215088106233860

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Twerk from Home posted:

If you had built 500,000 new houses in that time I guarantee that rents would be lower.

Why?

Landlords have no need to lower rents to get people in units. It's better to have empty units sitting and maintain the veneer of 'luxury' or whatever than it is to lower prices (because lowering rents means your underlying collateral is worth less, so you pay more for the financing).

Building more homes would just end up with more ~'luxury'~ 5 over 1's until/unless you had political change in the way we structure cities and society.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

didnt they basically say that they wouldnt do anything to save any bank besides the giant ones and that their simply allowing them all to continue doing whatever they want

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Bloomberg was snarky about 'obtuse' people who believe that building housing increases the cost of housing.

Some catty gently caress posted:

Why then are so many people apparently so obtuse about the effects of housing construction? Probably because, in the personal experience of those who live in expensive cities and suburbs, new construction is so often accompanied by rising prices. Since 2015, for example, Los Angeles has built new housing at a pace not seen in decades, and purchase prices are up 68% and rents up 44% (both, again, according to Zillow).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The only thing they build anymore is luxury apartments and condos that sit empty. They aren't homes for people, they are homes for money.

Apr 7, 2003

The theory going around here on social media is "when they build those $800K condos it opens up $250K houses for normal people!"

Except

A> A $250K house is too expensive for the median household in this county according to HUD affordability rules
B> investors just buy up all the $250K houses, "renovate" them, and turn them into more $800K units anyway

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lol

Twerk from Home posted:

real estate is just another vehicle for investment in the US. building housing has to be done in a way that is profitable and protects asset values.

the only way 500k new units in a city gets built would be if the State stepped in to suddenly churn out tons of public housing, which would be very cool an good. something worth arguing for but I don't think that option is on the table

Apr 7, 2003

The suburban boom of 1936-1977 or so was essentially government-subsidized public housing and nothing like that will ever be permitted again because it would affect the values of existing housing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh word, Larry? Word?

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1651218749733720069

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I for one welcome the return of the Bretenanwealda, where somebody who understands social relations will awake from under the mountain and call all men with pure hearts to the banners.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

webcams for christ posted:

the only way 500k new units in a city gets built would be if the State stepped in to suddenly churn out tons of public housing, which would be very cool an good. something worth arguing for but I don't think that option is on the table

But Houston did build that much! Greater Houston went from a population of about 4.5 million in 2005 to 7.2 million now, and during that period of insane growth houses were and are cheap as hell.

I bought a new construction 2400sqft house with a 2 car garage for $160k. A lot of acquaintances bought condos for less than $40k, one guy bought a 3 bedroom place for $60k. When I moved out around 2018, there were still builders finishing and listing new construction houses for $120k.

These are all 100% car dependent, of course. But none of them were in far suburbs.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

I bought a new construction 2400sqft house with a 2 car garage for $160k. A lot of acquaintances bought condos for less than $40k, one guy bought a 3 bedroom place for $60k. When I moved out around 2018, there were still builders finishing and listing new construction houses for $120k.

Just mind blowing.

Last year, I spent way more than this for a house with, uh, plenty of opportunities for me to learn how to do things. And even more mind blowing still is when I look at Zillow and see I could sell it for like 100k more than I bought lol.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

HallelujahLee posted:

didnt they basically say that they wouldnt do anything to save any bank besides the giant ones and that their simply allowing them all to continue doing whatever they want

Well with silicon valley bank they declared there was infinite money to backstop the banks so there would be no banking crisis, then after that didn't go over well Yellen declared that only big banks would be safe but this kind of hurt the smaller banks so they kind of walked that back just declaring banking itself was safe while pushing out hundreds of billions more in free money for banks that was gobbled up

Its hard to keep track of so I'm probably wrong. I lost track 2 bank crises ago back in March. Seems like Silicon Valley was declared too big to fail and First Republic can just eat poo poo despite being similarly sized. I assume the massive piles of cash politicians stood to lose in SVB played no part.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Twerk from Home posted:

But Houston did build that much! Greater Houston went from a population of about 4.5 million in 2005 to 7.2 million now, and during that period of insane growth houses were and are cheap as hell.

These are all 100% car dependent, of course. But none of them were in far suburbs.

Out of curiosity but were they built in flood plains and basins? Lmao

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

did the price of a house or apartment rent fall since 2005 when all that housing was build?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Lmao

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

First Republic shares are down another -25% today after plummeting 50% yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

First Republic is failing!