Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

look, we had a bank failure just last month, right? it happens all the time

look jack do you want to turn this nation into a banana republic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1651237031266119683

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

In the lands where wealth and power concentrate, a tale has been whispered, a prophecy of old. It speaks of the end of the time of Plutonomy, when the riches of the world are held by a select few, where the scales are tipped, and the masses toil in the shadows of the towering lords of wealth. In the glittering twilight of capitalism, this prophecy foretells the fall of the plutonomies and the rise of a new era. It was whispered that the ruling class, blinded by greed and drunk on power, would sow the seeds of their own destruction.

Fueled by disruptive technology, capitalist-friendly governments, globalization, and complex financial innovations, the wealthy few dominated the world's economy. In the plutonomies of the United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada, income inequality soared, concentrating wealth and power in the hands of the elite. The prophecy stated that as the rich continued to grow richer, the imbalance between the plutonomies and the rest of the world would become increasingly unsustainable. Through their insatiable hunger for wealth, the ruling class would unknowingly lay the groundwork for their downfall. As the myth foretold, a great reckoning would come. The world, weary of the vast inequality, would unite to challenge the reign of the plutocrats. Societies would no longer tolerate the excesses of the elite, and men of stout hearts would be forced to take action.

First, a labor backlash may rise, as the workers of the land, though powerless in coin, have power in numbers. Their voices cry out, demanding protection from the outsourcing and offshoring of their livelihoods, echoing through the chambers of left-wing politicians. And from the other end, the far right rallies against the tide of immigrants that would price them out of their labor.

The second threat to Plutonomy lies in the fading of the productive edge. The skilled laborers who once built their nations' wealth may seek their fortune elsewhere, as the people's focus turns to the dazzling lure of financial speculation. As history has shown, countries that lose their competitive advantage are doomed to decline.

A third challenge emerges from the social backlash, for the invisible hand may cease to work its magic. In a world of Plutonomy, many dream of joining the ranks of the affluent, hoping to seize their piece of the ever-growing pie. But when hope fades, and the dream appears unattainable, the masses may rise and demand a fairer share of the bounties of their land.

Down one path lies reform, down the other, though few dare speak its name, revolution.

The reform might manifest in many forms. Governments would revoke property rights or raise taxes on the wealthy, redistributing resources and power back to the masses. Corporate tax rates would increase, diminishing returns to the private sector, and personal taxes on dividends, capital gains, and inheritances would rise, shaking the foundations of the plutonomy. Meanwhile, labor regulations would shift the balance of power, empowering workers and reducing the profit share of GDP. Minimum wages would be raised, working hours regulated, and protectionist policies implemented to safeguard domestic industries and jobs. These changes would slowly dismantle the mechanisms that enabled the plutonomies to thrive.

If that path be closed... another beckons....

Avalon, a wondrous floating island, lies forever upon the western sea. High towers and glittering pinnacles reach into the sky, the land draped in forests and veiled in enchantment. Here, no snow nor heat may touch the eternal spring, and the people live in harmony with each other and the world, tending flocks as white as snow and herds with breath scented of thyme and parsley.In this peaceful realm, King Arthur lies, neither dead nor awake, awaiting the time when he will rise once more and return to Britain. As rot and corruption grows across the world, it is whispered that Arthur's awakening draws near, and when he returns, there will be a reckoning. The land and the king are one, and Arthur's terrible swift sword will be the instrument of the land's deliverance.

For should it ever come to pass, and many believe that day is nearly here, Arthur will awaken his army with a mighty roar, and lead his warriors into the world, their mere presence sending shockwaves of hope and unity throughout the land. As the people rally behind the King, a great uprising will begin, shaking the foundations of the capitalist empire. The powerful, who had once been untouchable, will tremble as their wealth and influence is cut down like ripe barley. The King and his warriors, guided by the wisdom of the ages, fought to dismantle the structures of greed and exploitation, sowing seeds of fairness and compassion in their place, and so they will again. The people, empowered by the King's vision, will work together to forge a new society based on cooperation and equality.

And so it will be that in the hour of their greatest need, Arthur will emerge to save society from the ravages of capitalism. The land, once rife with suffering and injustice, will bloom into a realm where all can thrive and prosper, their destinies no longer determined by the whims of the powerful few.

Or gradual reform, their choice.

They made their choice, gave it a classy name even, Volcker Shock.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

gradenko_2000 posted:

look, we had a bank failure just last month, right? it happens all the time

People literally came into this thread when SVB went down to post graphs saying "look bank failures aren't that unusual!" despite the graphs actually showing that bank failures seem strangely correlated with times of severe economic turmoil

Everything will always be fine

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

Weird how there's no concern trolling or hand-wringing about the poor, poor depositors and shareholders of First Republic like there were about SVB.

loving Larry summers doesn’t have any deposits in it so he’s dead silent

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The local hospital group sent me an invite to see if I qualified to participate in a research study involving a wearable health-tracker; I wonder if it's for this.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lmao at SVB being a precedent. The government hosed up again.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

The local hospital group sent me an invite to see if I qualified to participate in a research study involving a wearable health-tracker; I wonder if it's for this.

The VA is currently piloting a program for remote foot scanning devices for diabetic veterans to monitor vascular problems /neuropathy

They're doing this instead of just giving vets insulin for free (which would cost a lot less).

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1651215501098467329?s=20

:munch:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao at SVB being a precedent. The government hosed up again.

Weird how constant loving coddling of the rich repeatedly leads the government into hosed-if-they-do,hosed-if-they-don't scenarios.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Willa Rogers posted:

Every single health care organization is doing this right now, it's called patient-centered health care or something like that. I assume there are some federal quality measures that will give us money for involving X percentage of patients in such an effort, and/or implementation is tied to the CMIO's yearly bonus.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

thread title

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

DrPossum posted:

fourth "once in a generation" banking crisis this year

honey it's time for your monthly bank flattening

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

nikosoft posted:

Every single health care organization is doing this right now, it's called patient-centered health care or something like that. I assume there are some federal quality measures that will give us money for involving X percentage of patients in such an effort, and/or implementation is tied to the CMIO's yearly bonus.

It’s mainly because they can hire one nurse, one computer toucher and like 10 administrators and replace two or three clinics worth of doctors and nurses.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

great now we are gonna get addicted to bank failures just like we did with the breakers and jay is gonna rip that away from us too

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Crazyweasel posted:

my brother is going through a rough patch so I wanted to get him some pizza from a place he likes. Went to their website, had to make an account to order delivery.

Get a call ID’ed as doordash telling me he is at the house.

so now business websites have their own UI that then swivel chairs to just doing a loving doordash order? lol so efficient

i've been a dispatcher, developer and driver in the industry and yeah it's actually wild the various setups.

Order some jimmy john's doordash? you get a jimmy john's driver.
dominos/pizza hut/etc, you get their driver unless they're busy or it's too far, then you get a doordash one.
tons of other places that claim to deliver but have no actual delivery staff? yeah it's doordash, doesn't matter what website you ordered on

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The solution is to not eat out.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

great now we are gonna get addicted to bank failures just like we did with the breakers and jay is gonna rip that away from us too

do not, my friends, become addicted to banking

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1651255718048137216?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shithole country

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Lol what the gently caress

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

what in the world

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

FistEnergy posted:

bbby just cancelled their next shareholder meeting and got the nasdaq delisting notice, almost simultaneously

Towel Boys in shambles, another big box chain is dead

outlived by Jimmy Carter, who was governor of Georgia when bed bath was founded

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Shithole country

thread title

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Shithole country

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
it’s illegal for children to walk to school, so we should arrest the parents. if they aren’t driving their kids to school in 65k SUVs, they are doing child endangerment

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Those kids simply need to pick themselves up by the bootstraps. Crawling under trains that could start at any moment is good character building exercise.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Nodelphi posted:

It’s mainly because they can hire one nurse, one computer toucher and like 10 administrators and replace two or three clinics worth of doctors and nurses.

This is probably the correct answer. It's so stupid, we literally cant empanel any new patients because of lack of PCPs (not that this stops the aggressive enrollment campaigns), but then we spend so much money on dumb poo poo like this that never goes anywhere.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

EXCUSE ME?!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

HallelujahLee posted:

what in the world

#firstworldproblems

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Who wins this Supreme Court case? The Republican or the giant corporation with tons of money?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

wow an advanced AI to tell people to do these things in order

Eat Less
Move More
Idiot

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

A real 'rooting for the meteor' situation

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Always been this way. Says right there: the problem has existed for decades. Therefore, it does not matter.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Orvin posted:

Who wins this Supreme Court case? The Republican or the giant corporation with tons of money?

the corporation, duh.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

prob posted a while ago somewhere but i watched this last night and it's loving insane

aza is the person who invented the infinite scroll i think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoVJKj8lcNQ

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

thank god im not the only one who thinks this is hosed up. trains would make my life miserable when i had to commute to work. there was no schedule or timing to them, just random awful traffic that could last hours. you start to feel insane when you are trapped in your car for 45 minutes next to 1000 other idiots and everyone is pissed that they cant get to places they dont even want to be in the first place.

the problem is cars and suburban planning though, can't blame the trains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

Always been this way. Says right there: the problem has existed for decades. Therefore, it does not matter.

this is the news media hype very normal