Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I've been collecting Shadowrun 2e (and some 1e/3e) books and there's something about that graphic design/layout style that's like putting my brain in a warm bath of nostalgia, I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zorak of Michigan posted:

True Shadowrun brain would be robbing a portajohn and leaving the results in the desk.
Shadowrun galaxy brain would be a preparatory independent heist to rob the VP's toilet.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

sebmojo posted:

You can get random numbers by the dm thinking of a number between 1 and x, the player doing likewise, then adding them and having it rollover so for a d20, 15 plus 8 equals 3. Afaict there's no way to game that.

Humans are bad at random generation, so the GM’s pick will trend towards certain patterns. The player can use this to guess which number the GM has picked and themselves choose a number that is likely to give the result they want.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

a very particular rabbit-hole lead me to discover Skirmisher Publishing's one-page Travel-Sized RPG, whose resolution system is

The DM picks a number from a range, and informs the player of the range. Harder challenges use a wider range. The player has to guess the number picked. Stats and equipment and assistance and character abilities increase the range that the player's guess applies to. If the DM's number falls within the range of the player's guess, the player-character succeeds.

That is, an "average" challenge would be picking a number from 1 to 15. If it's a physical challenge, and the player-character has a physical stat of 2, and the player guesses a 6, then they succeed if the DM picked a number between 4 and 8; a 6, plus or minus 2. If the player also had a piece of equipment that was applicable, then the range might increase to plus-or-minus 3.

Now, the whole point of this is that you wouldn't need any dice or other random number generator, that you could play this game in your head, with little to no material resources involved.

But I can't shake the designer-brain: if given a challenge of 15, why would you not just pick 7 all the time?
Your guess should always be between 1 + (your stat) and the max - (your stat) inclusive because otherwise you're throwing away chances, and if you were running against a pure random number generator and your skill was 4 then picking 7 is as good as 5 or 6 or 8 or 9 making it the low effort choice. However your GM is not a random number generator so if you always guess the exact same number then you're basically handing your GM the ability to decide all your results.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 25, 2023

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I've been collecting Shadowrun 2e (and some 1e/3e) books and there's something about that graphic design/layout style that's like putting my brain in a warm bath of nostalgia, I love it.

Shadowrun 2e was made during the great boom in TTRPGs, and the amount of stuff they could put into as many pages they did shows it. Those books were so drat good.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If your skill level is greater than (max-2)/4 the game turns into a 50/50 coin flip between you guessing 1+skill or max-skill while your GM picks 1 or max. Or the GM picking the middle number if they want to just give you a gimme.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 25, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm thinking "just get a dice roll app on your phone" is a more straightforward solution to "let's play an RPG while waiting at an airport terminal"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Write a bunch of airport stuff down matching 1 to X. Whichever happens next is your roll. "OK looks like you need luggage wheel breaks or better to make this roll" *baby starts crying* "...oof."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

also if you want to avoid electronics and want a pocket-sized RNG that doesn't have the risk of losing dice under the seat or whatever, use a spinner! You could even make one out of laminated white card and draw your own lines with a protractor & write in your own values with wet erase marker.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Shadowrun 2e was made during the great boom in TTRPGs, and the amount of stuff they could put into as many pages they did shows it. Those books were so drat good.

Yeah I have been thinking about starting to collect the rest of the 2e set. I had such a good time playing it and being dumb, and our GM was so adamant that we not even talk about blood magic because it was FORBIDDEN.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
all this just keeps reminding me of what is probably Giant Bomb's finest hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdtbotWl4T8

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah I have been thinking about starting to collect the rest of the 2e set. I had such a good time playing it and being dumb, and our GM was so adamant that we not even talk about blood magic because it was FORBIDDEN.

Blood magic was for NPCs. Note that this was blood magic as written for SR, and not "Blood Magic" as it was written in its sister setting, Earthdawn. They were not the same.

Later editions under Catalyst games expanded on Blood magic in ways it didn't really need and kindof cheapens it into another initiate power and really just shits all over it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LatwPIAT posted:

Humans are bad at random generation, so the GM’s pick will trend towards certain patterns. The player can use this to guess which number the GM has picked and themselves choose a number that is likely to give the result they want.

I disagree, at least on the scale of an average game without an artificially huge amount of rolling.

That's the same thing as saying you can predict the next number I'm thinking in any given series, which I don't think is the same as "people aren't very good at randomness".

It would be an interesting thing to test actually.

In any case trying to outguess the dm is a fun low stakes mini game.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Blood magic was for NPCs. Note that this was blood magic as written for SR, and not "Blood Magic" as it was written in its sister setting, Earthdawn. They were not the same.

Later editions under Catalyst games expanded on Blood magic in ways it didn't really need and kindof cheapens it into another initiate power and really just shits all over it.

Not that first game to stat that which should never be statted, and not the last. Why did nobody learn from Deities and Demigods?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
deities and demigods is basically just a conspiracy to let fantasy artist wife guys draw their spouse as aphrodite and get the players to pay for it

and you know, i respect the hustle

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

deities and demigods is basically just a conspiracy to let fantasy artist wife guys draw their spouse as aphrodite and get the players to pay for it

and you know, i respect the hustle

Worked for Frank Franzetta. All those bodacious naked ladies? All just modeled on his wife in different wigs

Fuckin' relationship goals

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

Worked for Frank Franzetta. All those bodacious naked ladies? All just modeled on his wife in different wigs

Fuckin' relationship goals

That begs the question of who modeled for Conan or the Ape monsters

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I'd kill for a piece of original Laubenstein art from the 1e/2e era.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

https://twitter.com/illustratorjeff?lang=en

looks like he's active on twitter. I'd tweet him directly to see if he knows what happened to them, or you could try to commission something directly.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Those color plates in the 1e core rulebook. :perfect:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Plutonis posted:

That begs the question of who modeled for Conan or the Ape monsters

Conan was himself.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

https://twitter.com/illustratorjeff?lang=en

looks like he's active on twitter. I'd tweet him directly to see if he knows what happened to them, or you could try to commission something directly.

Yeah, I actually got my friend (member of our original 6th grade shadowrun group) one of the goblin tokens he was doing back during the pandemic.

The dream is the original art for the Shadowrun logo- I think Noble Knight has it for 35k or so.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Not that first game to stat that which should never be statted, and not the last. Why did nobody learn from Deities and Demigods?
the lesson of d&d is reach heaven through violence and tear down all gods

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Whybird posted:

Idk what it is about players and making GBS threads in desks.

office culture

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Speak of the devil, got a couple more today, collection is coming along!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
GERMANY SOURCEBOOK

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Paranormal animals of Europe 😮

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I have all of those...bought new.

:smug:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have all of those...bought new.

:smug:

Shadowrun is my favorite IP, I haven't played it in years, but at one point I had every gamebook and every novel.

I think a few of the gamebooks got misplaced over the years, and I gave away the novels decades ago.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I've got a 1st edition core book autographed by one of the designers. It might be worth something...if you overlook the front cover being held on with cellotape.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
This was brought up in the TG industry thread and I don't want to detract from the protracted posters war against wizards of the coast, but I don't get why people love alignment in games.
it seems like a bad idea to say "here's objective good/evil and we can measure it" even in a fatnasty setting where devils and gods hang out, especially since the guy who invented alignment is pretty underqualified to speak on it. And outside of that, from a gameplay perspective, i think it restricts more than it adds. i'm kinda hoping someone cool can sell me on it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

This was brought up in the TG industry thread and I don't want to detract from the protracted posters war against wizards of the coast, but I don't get why people love alignment in games.
it seems like a bad idea to say "here's objective good/evil and we can measure it" even in a fatnasty setting where devils and gods hang out, especially since the guy who invented alignment is pretty underqualified to speak on it. And outside of that, from a gameplay perspective, i think it restricts more than it adds. i'm kinda hoping someone cool can sell me on it.

People love to categorize things, duhhh. That's why even stupider poo poo like the political alignment chart is super popular.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I personally think it can work really well if most people don't participate in the alignment system as such. Like how 4th ed had most creatures as unaligned. To qualify as good, evil, lawful etc you are held to a more exacting standard, and when they show up it's to make a contrast to the more pragmatic normal people. Let the guy playing superman be special for playing superman essentially.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Alignment makes for really terrible and embarrassing memes, and also creates the stupidest forums slap fights, so I'm totally on board with anything that kills it.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
The only thing I think alignment is useful for is in published adventures or sourcebooks as a shorthand way of telling a GM how to play a particular NPC. Like, if you say the sheriff is Lawful Good or Lawful Evil that streamlines understanding how to play them to one line. It's not the only way to do it (GDW's playing card NPC motivation system was rad) but I can see a use for it.

When I was running D&D I never even asked my players if they wrote anything down for alignment, and I agree that any game mechanics predicated on 'only works on Evil targets' or something is a quagmire best avoided.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Like evenworse just said, alignment is an incredibly useful tool for broad strokes characterization. Two-axis helps, because then you get stuff like elven chaotic good versus paladin lawful good. And it's also useful for aligning the cosmic forces of good and evil in what's supposed to be a big, giant, multiverse spanning conflict. Players have to choose because mechanics build off of it, and that's fine because you're aligning yourself with deities and the cosmos and all that stuff. It's not a straightjacket.

Gygax or whomever making people do gotcha "do you kill the orc babies" poo poo is bad gaming, but alignment is perfectly fine at the table 99% of the time and the 1% of the time it isn't, talk to the other players like adults.

e: to be clear, you don't need it in everything. but it's the D&D political equivalent of splatbook stuff like Vampire's clans/sects, and that is pretty useful as a game tool.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Nevermind that Shadowrun nonsense, you got yourself Transdimensional TMNT. That's the good good.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Nevermind that Shadowrun nonsense, you got yourself Transdimensional TMNT. That's the good good.

And there's a copy of Robertson Davies' "Murther and Walking Spirits" hiding underneath I think. TRIPLE GOOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's nice to have something written on your sheet to act as training wheels for RP. The two alignment axis are triangular training wheels made of lead and greased with mercury.