Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mile'ionaha posted:

I played BT back when it came out, enjoyed it.

Fired up BTA today and, uh...

I guess my career is over due to bugs, on the 2nd mission.

There is a hotfix for this in the discord if you want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

What is the best overall mech chassis and why is it the Orion

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Captain Foo posted:

Right now in bta i have a marauder with three binary lasers and a precision pilot and makes a p good sniper. Earlier in the game i had an improved binary laser which was disgusting but it got blown up and i don’t know where i got it from

E: also do not sleep on lrm carriers as friendly fire support. 3x ArtIV LRM20 is nothing to sneeze at and even a rookie tanker can rack up kills in a hurry

2xArrow carriers are also really good, 3 or 4 of them can do absurd amounts of damage over time.

In roguetech offline you can get them from the Kurita faction store, not sure about BTA.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Orion is super solid.

In terms of BTA I think the best overall chassis is probably something in the 55 ton range. Speed and evasion are incredibly powerful and 55t is in the sweet spot where you can start carrying some real painful loadouts and good armor while also still being super squirrelly.

The chassis I always end up getting absurd amounts of use out of is the Stormcrow. Great number of hardpoints, great speed, huge amount of free tonnage, clan perk is very beneficial for a variety of builds. You can run them as mortar boats, cooker 'mechs with flamers/plasma, backstabbers, PPC snipers, SRM boats, whatever.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kanos posted:

The Orion is super solid.

In terms of BTA I think the best overall chassis is probably something in the 55 ton range. Speed and evasion are incredibly powerful and 55t is in the sweet spot where you can start carrying some real painful loadouts and good armor while also still being super squirrelly.

The chassis I always end up getting absurd amounts of use out of is the Stormcrow. Great number of hardpoints, great speed, huge amount of free tonnage, clan perk is very beneficial for a variety of builds. You can run them as mortar boats, cooker 'mechs with flamers/plasma, backstabbers, PPC snipers, SRM boats, whatever.

Well yes the Stormcrow Prime is the best mech on the tabletop and i don’t have any of them yet

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Wraith is also ABSURDLY good, though it's absurdly good by virtue of being the best at one specific build - loading up 6 to 8 improved jump jets with nimble jumper and ripping someone's spine open with a disgusting amount of energy firepower.

Firestarters are capable of a similar build but the Wraith has enough tonnage that instead of some medium/small lasers you can bring stuff like snubbies and VSPLs.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
My favorite BTA 55-ton mech is the Shadow Hawk variant with 5 missile slots given to that one guaranteed hero pilot who loves cats and does extra good with SRMs, personally.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BlondRobin posted:

My favorite BTA 55-ton mech is the Shadow Hawk variant with 5 missile slots given to that one guaranteed hero pilot who loves cats and does extra good with SRMs, personally.

I have that pilot in a goliath right now which is pretty fun

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Captain Foo posted:

What is the best overall mech chassis and why is it the Orion

Man I always kinda hated Orions, it seemed like in all my careers somehow it ended up as my first worthwhile heavy, and the builds for them always seem so boring to me. Too much just mini-atlas until you get the much later timeline ones.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I always run my Orions hot as gently caress. Either they're going to murder you or they're going to cook themselves alive. Either way something fun is going to happen.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
In BTA my Scorpions always were the super stars in the 55t range. Incredible movespeed with their quirks and you can build them as really good flankers or absolute melee monsters while still having tons of armor.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

BlondRobin posted:

I always give him a Timber Wolf with 7 SRM-6s.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gwaihir posted:

Man I always kinda hated Orions, it seemed like in all my careers somehow it ended up as my first worthwhile heavy, and the builds for them always seem so boring to me. Too much just mini-atlas until you get the much later timeline ones.

I have one as my primary mrmfucker right now

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Kanos posted:

Firestarters are capable of a similar build but the Wraith has enough tonnage that instead of some medium/small lasers you can bring stuff like snubbies and VSPLs.

I lucked out and got one of these bad boys from winning at a gameworld:

https://www.bta3062.com/index.php?title=Firestarter

and I put Aether in it

https://www.bta3062.com/index.php?title=Aether

and loaded it up with small x-pulses and a huge engine and it just glides through the battlefield ripping backs to shreds. even without using the Nimble Jumper affinity it still rules

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Captain Foo posted:

I have one as my primary mrmfucker right now

I do Very Much enjoy the -R variant when I find one. That many missile hardpoints solves all sins.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I have a Raksasha -2R variant as an MRM boat and it is a real bastard

https://www.bta3062.com/index.php?title=Rakshasa

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
My game won't load and hangs on the validating saves still. Guess I'll just delete everything and reinstall

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Schiltrons are available everywhere in BTA (the 2x Arrow variant anyway, think the others are unsalvageable and unpurchaseable). Teppos (Sniper and 2xArrow) are Kurita faction store only.

Monsters can run 2x Long Tom or 2xSniper and 2xArrow. In case you salvage any.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

In vanilla the best mech that doesn’t revolve around headshot shenanigans is the Crusader AL.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

I have a Raksasha -2R variant as an MRM boat and it is a real bastard

https://www.bta3062.com/index.php?title=Rakshasa

I love that mech on principle

It's fine, we have Mad Cat at home

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Runa posted:

Yeah

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Runa posted:

it's hilarious right

although in this it gets the unlimited power quirk which is real good while the TW's initiative quirk is just fine

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I have 2/3 of an Ostscout and I really want that last piece so I can stick as much EWAR equipment and as big of an engine on it as possible and use it as a mech-shaped NARC beacon

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ams, narc, ecm, tag, c3(i)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

Ams, narc, ecm, tag, c3(i)

yessss

for anyone who has BTA, highly recommend sprinkling AMS among your company and having one mech that boats it. you'll be facing so many enemies and so many of them will have LRMs that it's a lifesaver

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlondRobin posted:

In my current career, Wulfbanes got absolutely murdered by a DFA on his second deployment. Which sucked because I got a lot of mileage out of him the first time around.

I did the Radio Crowd start this time and I've had Grampa whining his rear end off in a Wolverine since day one. At first it was the one I got at the start, then I got my hands on a Sanctuary version with some DBACs.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Pattonesque posted:

I have 2/3 of an Ostscout and I really want that last piece so I can stick as much EWAR equipment and as big of an engine on it as possible and use it as a mech-shaped NARC beacon

Four words:

Strafing. Run. Comm. Suite.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

GD_American posted:

Four words:

i love those, especially once i got the mechbuster. set it up to strafe the rear and it can get multiple kills in one pass

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pattonesque posted:

yessss

for anyone who has BTA, highly recommend sprinkling AMS among your company and having one mech that boats it. you'll be facing so many enemies and so many of them will have LRMs that it's a lifesaver

Remember to set your ams to overload mode

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

McGavin posted:

In vanilla the best mech that doesn’t revolve around headshot shenanigans is the Crusader AL.

When did the crusader get added to vanilla? Do you mean the centurion?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yes.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

GD_American posted:

Four words:

Hell yes.

Being able to sprint to a good position and backshot a half-dozen mechs is awesome.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Gwaihir posted:

A lot of the flashpoints are designed for lower tonnage lances than the typical endgame assault crew, so doing them with your existing save will just feel kinda pointless. There are plenty of endgame max level ones too that you could do now though.

One thing that might help out if you had such trouble with the final mission is if you posted the mechs you were using- There's nothing we love more ITT than tweaking and rebuilding mech designs, and that can make a huge difference.

I think the issue with the final mission was more me being burned out and just trying to zerg the bad guys. I used the same loadout for the run where I finally beat it and only lost an arm on two different mechs, just by going much slower and letting them come to me.

The loadout was basically:

A Grasshopper to jump behind bad guys and punch their spines out. (Dekker)
An Atlas with AC/20 and SRM6s to core mechs. (Behemoth) Wound up losing the AC/20 just due to tanking so much damage.
The SLDF Highlander with a bunch of long-range ballistics (including the Gauss) and LLs. (Self) Wound up losing an AC/5 because the enemy mechs for some reason really focused fire on the Highlander despite it jumping around everywhere and having high evasion all the time.
Kamea in her Atlas II.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

just had a bta mission where i had to face down 30 wobbies

my two lrm carriers mk2 had 13 kills between them

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

bgreman posted:

I think the issue with the final mission was more me being burned out and just trying to zerg the bad guys. I used the same loadout for the run where I finally beat it and only lost an arm on two different mechs, just by going much slower and letting them come to me.

The loadout was basically:

A Grasshopper to jump behind bad guys and punch their spines out. (Dekker)
An Atlas with AC/20 and SRM6s to core mechs. (Behemoth) Wound up losing the AC/20 just due to tanking so much damage.
The SLDF Highlander with a bunch of long-range ballistics (including the Gauss) and LLs. (Self) Wound up losing an AC/5 because the enemy mechs for some reason really focused fire on the Highlander despite it jumping around everywhere and having high evasion all the time.
Kamea in her Atlas II.

So by final mission you mean the 2nd to final mission right? Because the final "showdown" 4v4 fight should be insanely easy with that set.

The balance changes to the game had a pretty big impact on some of the campaign missions. Some of them got easier but a fair number got much harder. And a couple of the endgame missions were always a bit perversely difficult when you over-teched to assaults just by being really slow. The enemies get all the positioning & terrain advantages, and those are easier to neutralize when you're fast.

(Your jumpy long-range highlander probably got focused by the AI because it has less armor than everyone else. One of priorities for AI targeting is a simple damage/armor ratio; they love to attack glass cannons.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Klyith posted:

So by final mission you mean the 2nd to final mission right? Because the final "showdown" 4v4 fight should be insanely easy with that set.

The balance changes to the game had a pretty big impact on some of the campaign missions. Some of them got easier but a fair number got much harder. And a couple of the endgame missions were always a bit perversely difficult when you over-teched to assaults just by being really slow. The enemies get all the positioning & terrain advantages, and those are easier to neutralize when you're fast.

(Your jumpy long-range highlander probably got focused by the AI because it has less armor than everyone else. One of priorities for AI targeting is a simple damage/armor ratio; they love to attack glass cannons.

No I mean the actual final mission. Like I said, once I took my time and didn't just try to rush the enemy, I had a breeze with it. The prior time when Kamea got iced, I also was doing fairly well, I just left the Atlas II overexposed and right after killing Victoria the Awesome or Battlemaster or whatever their left flank mech was got another turn and got a lucky ammo explosion on Kamea and killed her.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That's part of what I love and hate about Battletech. Every mech and pilot is a lucky/unlucky ammo racking or headshot away from going down.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That's why I only hire zombies

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I have officially downloaded the BTA 3062 game after having stepped away from the 2018 BT game for a while. And now It's time for me to get destroyed in new and interesting ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
hey, installation question for those folks who are familiar with BTA 3062. I asked the folks on the discord server and they were nice but didn't really seem to be able to offer a solution (if there is one).

So I've got the launcher downloaded and all of the folders set up correctly, when I click Update/Install BTA the installer tells me it needs to initialize the cache, and then I get a message stating that the "BTA Cache update has failed."

When I look back at the log, the last message is: "_pygit2.GitError: failed to send request: The operation timed out"

When I reached out to the BTA3062 support folks, one of them told me this was a 404 message and the issue was with my internet connection.

I've tried this a couple of times over the course of the day, and from multiple different networks - same issue regardless.

I'm currently downloading the pre-cache manually to see if that resolves it, but does this sound familiar to anyone?