Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

"Glad we're not a banana republic" - 6 year old child trapped in a tanker car undercarriage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

"Glad we're not a banana republic" - 6 year old child trapped in a tanker car undercarriage

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Also theres fake rear end websites that act like they're the restaurants when they're just skimming and setting up a DD order

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

this cat kicks rear end and the price is rtight. thnx

Smythe has issued a correction as of 18:01 on Apr 26, 2023

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Always been this way. Says right there: the problem has existed for decades. Therefore, it does not matter.

i grew up in Hegewisch, right next to Hammond. I remember waiting for trains in the 90s.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

hell yeah let's make it a thing

:cheers:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1651022416259293186?t=NF1y6Yb1tTkHzTXUOUU05A&s=19

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

why aren’t they making the volt

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

whale economy

https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/1651265171908706320

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
profit margins increasing? checkmate marxist losers!!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

euphronius posted:

Thread title

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

euphronius posted:

more profitable per gram of lithium to put those batteries into rich people road tanks instead of affordable and efficient folk's wagons

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

omg I thought the electric SUVs were a joke

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

they're retooling the factory to make bigger EVs with an upgraded batter platform

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

euphronius posted:

all cars are suvs and trucks now lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the spit/sawdust furniture sounds fine for most situations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
however the best selling ev in China is the wuling mini ev so there is hope for a decent, small, green econobox. just not in America. yet. it will
come tho. it’s only a matter of time. large evs cannot succeed mass deployment

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

euphronius posted:

quote:

The Volt's demise was certainly not a case of drivers hating the car or its garish styling. It wasn't even in the wrong place at the wrong time. Rather, it was a stepping stone. Bob Lutz, the former GM Vice Chairman told CBS News that the Volt was "a financial loser [that] did what was intended." In 2019, the Volt was already old technology with fully electric models like the Chevy Bolt making the Volt redundant. GM also was smack-dab in the middle of retooling several manufacturing facilities. The proliferation of SUVs, crossovers, and trucks didn't help either. According to GM Authority, General Motors cut 10 sedans from its brands in a span of just five years leading up to 2020. The prognosis was not good for the Volt even if it wasn't losing money left and right.

All of those factors compounded into the final Volt leaving the assembly line in February of 2019. Revolutionary as it was, it had already fulfilled its purpose on earth. The Volt was a bridge of sorts between the ill-fated EV1 and GM's current EV lineup. Without technology pioneered by the Volt, GM's EV offerings might not be as varied as they are today. Even though the Volt as a product is deceased, it served as an important milestone in GM's hopeful all-EV future. 

Looks like it was a car and GM doesn’t do cars anymore, so it had to go. The Bolt lasted a little while longer, as it could charge more for it, and use it as a development bed for the EV trucks.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Also theres fake rear end websites that act like they're the restaurants when they're just skimming and setting up a DD order
You mean the fake restaurants like Beast Burger that farm out orders of their lovely recipes to local joints? Yeah. That's been going on a while. Years.

Edit: All this talk of plutocracy reminds me of the "two speed recovery".

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
why not build bridges over the often used train tracks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

that would cost money

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Animal-Mother posted:

You going to pay for it? Because the railroad tycoons sure as hell aren't!

Also we're kind of poo poo at building bridges now. Especially pedestrian bridges.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Those kids simply need to pick themselves up by the bootstraps. Crawling under trains that could start at any moment is good character building exercise.

i mean school's purpose is to prepare the kids for a lifetime of being crushed under the grinding wheel of capital, so IMO they should get extra credit

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
America is dead set on doing the worst thing possible under all circumstances. If we have to build EVs, we'll build the biggest, stupidest, and least efficient ones possible. That's just how it be.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

euphronius posted:

Thread title

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

anonumos posted:

You mean the fake restaurants like Beast Burger that farm out orders of their lovely recipes to local joints? Yeah. That's been going on a while. Years.

Edit: All this talk of plutocracy reminds me of the "two speed recovery".

theres that

but also doordash, grubhub, etc (and I assume others) would register a domain impersonating local restaurants w/ anemic web presences that would allow you to order and then route that order via their service, skimming the upcharge vs the normal prices they added. on top of service fees. which has also been going on for years

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

they are, very bad ones

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

euphronius posted:

all new cars will EV in about a decade.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

ArmZ posted:

they're retooling the factory to make bigger EVs with an upgraded batter platform

finally, thank god. for 60k my EV better crank out blueberry or chocolate chip waffles instead of boring rear end buttermilk

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

for 60k my EV better crank out blueberry or chocolate chip waffles instead of boring rear end buttermilk

thread title

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

Sometimes underpasses are put into place underneath those commonly used train tracks. Which is great, as they become profit centers for tow truck companies during rainstorms when idiots try to drive through 4-8 feet of water that floods the underpass.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

all new cars will EV in about a decade.

lol no way

edit

there is no infrastructure for that

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

euphronius posted:

lol no way

edit

There will be plenty of infrastructure if only 5% of people can afford a new car in ten years.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

This occurred to me as well but reading the article it says the trains regularly obstruct several intersections all at once in a typical American sprawling car-centric suburb. So if you built a bridge over a single intersection it would still be way out of the way for most people and probably not help much, and presumably building them at every intersection would be too costly.

You can search for "Hammond, Indiana" on google maps, the tracks really do cross through a bunch of streets. You can see how constantly parked trains would be obnoxious and effectively cut the community in half:

Possibly relevant the school mentioned in the article is right beside a 10-lane highway.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

There will be plenty of infrastructure if only 5% of people can afford a new car in ten years.

lets be even more accurate 1%

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ArmZ posted:

an upgraded batter platform

Nothing says American like cars that can fry

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

euphronius posted:

lol no way

edit

Why do you think they manufacturers are targeting the bespoke $150k plus SUVs and truck market. There might be the infrastructure if they only manufacture 5% of current production in 10 years.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

euphronius posted:

lol no way

edit

sure there is

if you have money

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

euphronius posted: