Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

MightyBigMinus posted:

it'll probably "not work" in the same sense that ethanol doesnt work. which is to say every know it all on the internet can poo poo talk it up and down, but you're still going to put some in your tank this week.

I won't, I don't own a car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Hubbert posted:

climate change is just a really big meltdown when you think about it

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Meltdown May is coming in hot.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It was cold this morning so I didn't melt down since climate change is clearly over now.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

MightyBigMinus posted:

HUGE MELTDOWN

i bet you're well into your thirties, why do you talk like a 24 year old writing for buzzfeed

there's nothing to explain, you know how it works, you just chose to believe it wont

instead of making a hundred bikes or having ten thousand people walk, we should build a car and fill it with Green hydrogen. the climate is saved, as long as your hydrogen engine keeps the ac running below the lethal wet bulb temps the plebs suffer outside!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

Not to be contrarian, but if FTL travel is impossible (and I believe it is), this is simply untrue.

The universe is unfathomably vast. There could be thousands of other civilizations spread throughout and we'd never know.

Nah you just need to generate structured rf signals like we’ve been doing for 100 years. IIRC something like the square kilometer array should be sensitive enough to detect our radio and TV broadcasts from cosmologically relevant distance. Let alone something like Starlink. If there was a civilization that used wireless communications, I expect we would know about it. Provided they didn’t self destruct in the galactic equivalent of the blink of an eye or deliberately mask their signal (assuming that is possible). I’m recalling a lot of things from memory here so I might have some of the details wrong but this is very much great filter/fermi’s paradox 101 stuff and I can’t be bothered to write a carefully sourced argument just now. I would happily defer to someone who put in the effort.

TACD posted:

that’s what I meant by “it’s both” so now I’m really confused what you mean by “it’s one or the other” :confused:

If we are insane, then the joker laughing is essentially random background noise based on our ignorance of real events. If we are uniquely perceptive, then it is a reasonable response and consistent with reality and therefore not insane at all. It makes sense in my head but I could be a gibbering lunatic.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

MightyBigMinus posted:

it'll probably "not work" in the same sense that ethanol doesnt work. which is to say every know it all on the internet can poo poo talk it up and down, but you're still going to put some in your tank this week.

Hey do you think this is more or less carbon intensive than just using plain old gasoline?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

God Hole posted:

oh look an angry swarming hornets' nest, better go out of my way to establish contact and make myself known to them

sure let me just build a faraday cage around my entire civilization!

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

My bird blood is ethically sourced.
I like how they build coal fire electricity plants so they can power the factories making advanced green batteries

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Brendan Rodgers posted:

The Milky Way has had the elements necessary for life for billions of years. You don't need FTL to colonise a galaxy if you have billions of years.

which leads to my conclusion that all civilizations destroy themselves before perfecting space flight because that is much much much more likely than life not evolving anywhere else in the galaxy

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/HeartlandSignal/status/1651253584153935874

Climate change is good actually because fewer people will freeze to death in the winter. :smug:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

McCracAttack posted:

https://twitter.com/HeartlandSignal/status/1651253584153935874

Climate change is good actually because fewer people will freeze to death in the winter. :smug:

lol the dumbest motherfuckers on earth are the most powerful people on earth and I can't believe there's dipshit cope/hope liberals telling us that everything will be fine.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

MightyBigMinus posted:

i think this thread is way too doomer from a climate science perspective, but still winds up being muuuuuch closer to the truth than any other topical info&discussion source.

let me put it this way, if you get your climate science from real reports, and your understanding of all the tech/econ stuff from business news sources (not the marketing stuff, the quarterly financial reports stuff), and your deeper thinking from a bunch of good books... then this is an excellent place to hang out and share black humor about how insanely mind-bogglingly hosed everything is.

but if you get your news *from this thread*. or worse, from the seo garbage "article" infotainment system, then you are going to be functionally insane. just gibbering. I've had to put a handful of regulars here on ignore because it really is just incoherent wailing.

but then someone will photoshop a bdelle on a pitbull eating a suburban toddler and it'll all be worth scrolling through.

ill never put anyone on ignore but yeah

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

McCracAttack posted:

Mr. Lomborg, welcome.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
There's cringe in the meltdowns

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Oof

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Maed posted:

which leads to my conclusion that all civilizations destroy themselves before perfecting space flight because that is much much much more likely than life not evolving anywhere else in the galaxy

And for the infinitesimal few species that may survive to, say, intergalactic travel, they would pretty much be advanced enough to be unrecognizable as life forms to us at that point.

If humanity still exists in some form 1000 years from now, it certainly wouldn't consider current us to be intelligent life. Heck in 100 years internet based AI could have taken over and unaugmented flesh humans that don't have a global brainprint nexus subscription, if they exist at all, are mitochondria or termites at best.

Preen Dog has issued a correction as of 18:59 on Apr 26, 2023

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MightyBigMinus posted:

green hydrogen, like DAC, only makes sense in a post fossil fuel world.

Any crowing about green hydrogen while the rest of the economy is fossil fuel based is just playing the Shell game with emissions.

“we bough a bunch of RECs to make our hydrogen green, please ignore how this means someone else can’t use renewables and must use fossil fuels instead.”

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Preen Dog posted:

And for the infinitesimal few species that may survive to, say, intergalactic travel, they would pretty much be advanced enough to be unrecognizable as life forms to us at that point.

capitalist realism is the obvious solution to the fermi paradox, and the great filter is a very stupid one. looking for signs of civilization as we know it and scratching our heads at finding nothing is no paradox at all--it might not have been completely unreasonable when enrico fermi came up with it in 1950, but it makes no sense today.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it almost goes without saying that the great filter was conceived of by an economist.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Zodium posted:

capitalist realism is the obvious solution to the fermi paradox, and the great filter is a very stupid one. looking for signs of civilization as we know it and scratching our heads at finding nothing is no paradox at all--it might not have been completely unreasonable when enrico fermi came up with it in 1950, but it makes no sense today.

Zodium posted:

it almost goes without saying that the great filter was conceived of by an economist.

But what you're doing here is proposing capitalist realism as a great filter. Which is possible. Bleak as gently caress, because it would imply that even with the sample size of a galaxy, communism wasn't possible.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Depending on how you feel about the Dyson Dilemma, the sample size could be the entire visible universe.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Brendan Rodgers posted:

But what you're doing here is proposing capitalist realism as a great filter.

insofar as the great filter is entirely a perceptual one, i guess.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Trabisnikof posted:

green hydrogen, like DAC, only makes sense in a post fossil fuel world.

Any crowing about green hydrogen while the rest of the economy is fossil fuel based is just playing the Shell game with emissions.

“we bough a bunch of RECs to make our hydrogen green, please ignore how this means someone else can’t use renewables and must use fossil fuels instead.”

why is everyone deliberately ignoring the IRA and electrolyzer market? why do you refuse to integrate new knowledge?

why are you betting against Xi?

if this was your first time through this exact stupid argument pattern i could forgive but you know drat well this is the exact same thing as the "ev's are just a longer tailpipe to coal plants" republican-talking-point/concern-troll. how is your brain not pattern matching this as the same dumb thing?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The way I figure is that the odds of life evolving are really really loving tiny and space is really really loving big. maybe there's life somewhere out there but if so they're so far away that we have no means of communicating or interacting with them. Functionally I guess that's the same as being alone in the universe

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Hubbert posted:

climate change is just a really big meltdown when you think about it

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

MightyBigMinus posted:

why is everyone deliberately ignoring the IRA and electrolyzer market? why do you refuse to integrate new knowledge?

why are you betting against Xi?

if this was your first time through this exact stupid argument pattern i could forgive but you know drat well this is the exact same thing as the "ev's are just a longer tailpipe to coal plants" republican-talking-point/concern-troll. how is your brain not pattern matching this as the same dumb thing?

MightyBigMinus posted:

bernie just lost. there will be no green new deal.
i've held out for yeaaaars. since paris.
i'm done. we're doomed.

MightyBigMinus posted:

clearly you are, you're angry and picking a fight over a joke you didn't get

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

you guys you guys

green energy is going to be so abundant that we'll use it for making and storing hydrogen

then use that hydrogen like we do oil propane today for cars and suburbs

it'll be great

hydrogen powered cars taking hydrogen powered grills home to cook steaks with hydrogen in homes that use hydrogen heating

hydrogen

the american dream will finally be global

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Complications posted:

you guys you guys

green energy is going to be so abundant that we'll use it for making and storing hydrogen

it'll be great

hydrogen powered cars taking hydrogen powered grills home to cook steaks with hydrogen in homes that use hydrogen heating

hydrogen

quote:

Yo, listen up, here's the story
About a little guy that lives in a green world
And all day and all night and everything he sees is just green
Like him, inside and outside
Green his house with a green little window
And a green Corvette and everything is green for him
And himself and everybody around
'Cause he ain't got nobody to listen (To listen, to listen, to listen)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

the original lyrics for Blue also work, because blue hydrogen is a thing ...

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Complications posted:

you guys you guys

it'll be great

hydrogen

see this is what i mean by just wailing, it oftens comes like this, in the form of "dunking" on all these arguments nobody made, in this reductively sarcastic framing. I have no idea what voice in their head complications is yelling at but its not anything I posted.

the "argument" (observation of a reality we theoretically share) is that xi, biden (via the ira), and the eu (whoever's in charge of germany this year), are spending trillions (yes literally trillions), on subsidizing the electrolyzer/green-hydrogen market. that means green (sorry "green") hydrogen will swamp the steam-reformed-methane hydrogen market very soon. you have to be actively fingers-in-your-ears screaming LALALALALALA to still think that "green" hydrogen isn't going to be a huge market within the next 3 - 5 years.

I'm not even saying thats good! I'm saying you all look like such cranky baby idiots to still be so out of touch and ill-informed.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Zodium posted:

further evidence that the economists will save us

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

silicone thrills posted:

lol the dumbest motherfuckers on earth are the most powerful people on earth and I can't believe there's dipshit cope/hope liberals telling us that everything will be fine.

100% the reaction we've had to cc so far (by and large, of course, even from many people on this dead forum) is all the proof you need we aren't going to survive it

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

MightyBigMinus posted:

see this is what i mean by just wailing, it oftens comes like this, in the form of "dunking" on all these arguments nobody made, in this reductively sarcastic framing. I have no idea what voice in their head complications is yelling at but its not anything I posted.

the "argument" (observation of a reality we theoretically share) is that xi, biden (via the ira), and the eu (whoever's in charge of germany this year), are spending trillions (yes literally trillions), on subsidizing the electrolyzer/green-hydrogen market. that means green (sorry "green") hydrogen will swamp the steam-reformed-methane hydrogen market very soon. you have to be actively fingers-in-your-ears screaming LALALALALALA to still think that "green" hydrogen isn't going to be a huge market within the next 3 - 5 years.

I'm not even saying thats good! I'm saying you all look like such cranky baby idiots to still be so out of touch and ill-informed.

yes, we're going to have such a tremendous surplus of green energy that not only will it be powering the electric grid but we'll be storing it and burning it via various means

fossils are totally on the way out any day now as the exponential curves kick in

pay no attention to the material shortfalls, we're gonna have ~green loving hydrogen~ wooo

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Complications posted:

yes, we're going to have such a tremendous surplus of green energy that not only will it be powering the electric grid but we'll be storing it and burning it via various means

fossils are totally on the way out any day now as the exponential curves kick in

pay no attention to the material shortfalls, we're gonna have ~green loving hydrogen~ wooo

see, again, a bunch of made up poo poo i didnt post in that sarcastic bitchy voice.

you YEARN for something to yell at so you pattern match a handful of keywords into a whole mind palace of articles and then yell at them in front of me... but this whole conversation is like 80% you and your demons.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

MightyBigMinus posted:

see, again, a bunch of made up poo poo i didnt post in that sarcastic bitchy voice.

you YEARN for something to yell at so you pattern match a handful of keywords into a whole mind palace of articles and then yell at them in front of me... but this whole conversation is like 80% you and your demons.

is ~green hydrogen~ actually going to do anything material at all re:the planet or are you just cheerleading something that you like the aesthetics of

'cause i've tried to aim you at talking about the material benefits of the thing you love and got nowhere

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
hydrogen sounds cool and all but i think we should use something with fewer protons

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
hydrogen more like watergen

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Stereotype posted:

hydrogen sounds cool and all but i think we should use something with fewer protons

wow, way to be anti-matter :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

MightyBigMinus posted:

huh. well, sure, endless spending and consumption got us into this mess but you got a point... more spending and consumption will dig us out of this hole lol