Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Khanstant posted:

Plus dedicated tailors, makeup, someone to dab away your sweat, lighting to make sure you look good, and be surrounded by people matching you. Most sci-fi jackets in real life would just look like weird motorcycle jackets, plus we need to start doing global cooling if we want to usher in a jacket era.

I remember there was this crew of dudes that drove those brightly-colored plastic motorcycles up and down the street I worked on, and now and then they'd all park and come in for slices of pizza.

When they strode in, they seriously looked like some kind of 2000s action version of a Star Trek crew. All wearing blue and red and gold outfits with padding and plates stuck to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Where did you live? Here we just have Harley people and racist biker gangs. These colourful plastic bikers sound fun

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sport bike guys love to armor up, so probably those kind of guys

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
We've just recently re-watched the TOS films from 2-5.
I think Search for Spock is a bit unfairly maligned although the story doesn't make a LOT of sense it still mostly works. And it's nice to see Christopher Lloyd. Two and Four are still just as good although I'd never realised that Gillian was the mum from Child's Play!

They really do gently caress all with Chekov/Sulu/Uhura/Scotty too. I get they're co stars and it's all about the main three and everything, but I still feel bad. The same kinda goes for Saavik who gets re-cast then just left behind for no reason (well, for a cut out reason). A little surprised none of the shows have gone back and had Spock had a kid considering the cut scene from IV.

Weirdly the fifth one is the one I remember the best even though for all of them it's likely 20 years since I last watched them. It really is proper rushed. Why's there an absolute dosshole planet in the neutral zone run by 3 powers? Why's everything Sybock says so unbelievably human (I know the real answer here but it's still a pain)? Just loads of little bits that they gloss over and move on with really fast. Nobody can go through the Great Barrier! But we just did that's great.
And the way they resolve the klingons is hilarious

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really want one of the Picard S3 excursion jackets.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Khanstant posted:

Where did you live? Here we just have Harley people and racist biker gangs. These colourful plastic bikers sound fun

Rochester NY. But it depends what part of town you're in. This was on Park Ave, and the sport bikes tend to zip around there between trendy bars. In my area there's grungy middle-aged leather bikers who buzz between those dim crappy bars with soaped windows.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
All this talk of sick jackets in the future and no mention of Quark or Al from Quantum Leap? For shame.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Railing Kill posted:

All this talk of sick jackets in the future and no mention of Quark or Al from Quantum Leap? For shame.

Or the Babylon 5 uniforms. anyway i'm watching all good things now bet LaVar Burton was real glad to finally be rid of that VISOR.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wouldn’t be surprised if that was one of his conditions for post-Generations movies. Or I already read it was and I’m forgetting that I did.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I just got to Season 5 of TNG and apparently Picard is gonna wear this open jacket thing all the time now? It's weird, I don't like it!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Basebf555 posted:

I just got to Season 5 of TNG and apparently Picard is gonna wear this open jacket thing all the time now? It's weird, I don't like it!

You come to us on this, the day after cool jacket talk, to decry a cool jacket?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kibayasu posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if that was one of his conditions for post-Generations movies. Or I already read it was and I’m forgetting that I did.

It was.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

piratepilates posted:

You come to us on this, the day after cool jacket talk, to decry a cool jacket?

That's pretty funny, I saw some vague references to the costumes on this page so that's why I posted that, but I hadn't read any of the previous page at all. I see someone there agrees with me that Picard's is no good!

Actually if I'm going to be more specific, the jacket itself looks ok but I don't like it for Picard. I just don't like Picard to have that open look with the mundane looking gray shirt showing underneath. I like my Picard buttoned up at all times(unless he's explicitly on leave or on an undercover away mission or whatever).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

Or the Babylon 5 uniforms. anyway i'm watching all good things now bet LaVar Burton was real glad to finally be rid of that VISOR.

update: it was good. yes you should have done it a long time ago you dorkus.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Basebf555 posted:

That's pretty funny, I saw some vague references to the costumes on this page so that's why I posted that, but I hadn't read any of the previous page at all. I see someone there agrees with me that Picard's is no good!

Actually if I'm going to be more specific, the jacket itself looks ok but I don't like it for Picard. I just don't like Picard to have that open look with the mundane looking gray shirt showing underneath. I like my Picard buttoned up at all times(unless he's explicitly on leave or on an undercover away mission or whatever).

Agreed, he looks sloppy, like the crew called him up while he was on the toilet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hey, sometimes Jean-Luc just wants to be comfy.

Picards just wanna have fun.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Taear posted:

We've just recently re-watched the TOS films from 2-5.
I think Search for Spock is a bit unfairly maligned although the story doesn't make a LOT of sense it still mostly works. And it's nice to see Christopher Lloyd. Two and Four are still just as good although I'd never realised that Gillian was the mum from Child's Play!

They really do gently caress all with Chekov/Sulu/Uhura/Scotty too. I get they're co stars and it's all about the main three and everything, but I still feel bad. The same kinda goes for Saavik who gets re-cast then just left behind for no reason (well, for a cut out reason). A little surprised none of the shows have gone back and had Spock had a kid considering the cut scene from IV.

Weirdly the fifth one is the one I remember the best even though for all of them it's likely 20 years since I last watched them. It really is proper rushed. Why's there an absolute dosshole planet in the neutral zone run by 3 powers? Why's everything Sybock says so unbelievably human (I know the real answer here but it's still a pain)? Just loads of little bits that they gloss over and move on with really fast. Nobody can go through the Great Barrier! But we just did that's great.
And the way they resolve the klingons is hilarious

SfS has some fun stuff at the start with all the heist stuff, it's the middle that reall sags. But tbh that film could be 90% hot garbage and I'd still love it just for the ending scene on Vulcan.

"why would you do this?"
"because the needs of the one, outweigh the needs of the many"
:unsmith:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

It’s the shoulder pads for me. They look heavy, bumpy, and ugly. Every slight shift in posture would remind you the pads are there and now you can’t ignore them. Did you just lean back in your comfy chair? Now you have 2 pounds of fake leather jamming itself into your shoulders or being pushed up above the shoulder and into your head because you slid down slightly.

It also looks like it would be super tight on the chest if you ever fastened the front, though I honestly don’t know if you even can.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The leather shoulder one only appeared once though, after that it changed to more regular looking material.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

SfS has some fun stuff at the start with all the heist stuff, it's the middle that reall sags. But tbh that film could be 90% hot garbage and I'd still love it just for the ending scene on Vulcan.

"why would you do this?"
"because the needs of the one, outweigh the needs of the many"
:unsmith:

The woman who plays the priest that restores Spock's Katra was born in the 1800s and was nominated for a best supporting actress oscar for Rebecca in 1940
Which is wild to me

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Taear posted:

The woman who plays the priest that restores Spock's Katra was born in the 1800s and was nominated for a best supporting actress oscar for Rebecca in 1940
Which is wild to me

That's Dame Judith Anderson to you, and she's considered one of the most influential and iconic actors of the 20th century.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Remember that time Sisko wore a weird vest for like a week?

Was Janeway the only captain not to get some weird uniform variant?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I think the TNG bomber jacket is better than that weird green tunic thing that Kirk sometimes wore.

e: Sisko rocks that vest better than his predecessors.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 27, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Knormal posted:

She had the glove thing for a bit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Knormal posted:

I think that's what Picard wears through most of First Contact

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think that's what Picard wears through most of First Contact

Yes, Picard wears the vest beginning with the security crew dropping through the Jefferies tube to attack engineering. Then he switches to the tux in the holodeck, and outside of the spacewalk scene he's just in the in the turtleneck and then the undervest so Stewart could show off his pipes.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Some of my friend group on Discord are watching DS9 from the beginning, with most of them going in completely blind.

Tosk is already a favorite after his sole appearance, and everyone is giving early Bashir all the mockery he deserves. Can't wait for the reaction to Move Along Home :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I think the TNG bomber jacket is better than that weird green tunic thing that Kirk sometimes wore.

e: Sisko rocks that vest better than his predecessors.

The green TOS tunic looks alright, with the notable exception of the quasi-belt arrowhead thing that wraps around it.

And Sisko looks great in the vest when he’s got the neck opened. For some reason there’s a handful of episodes where they show him wearing the vest underneath the actual jacket and it just looks awful together and had to be incredibly uncomfortable for Brooks to wear.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Knormal posted:

Isn’t this what is like under the grey tops?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The green TOS tunic looks alright, with the notable exception of the quasi-belt arrowhead thing that wraps around it.

And Sisko looks great in the vest when he’s got the neck opened. For some reason there’s a handful of episodes where they show him wearing the vest underneath the actual jacket and it just looks awful together and had to be incredibly uncomfortable for Brooks to wear.

I gotta say the green tunic with the V-neck is my favorite look for Kirk. I just liked his uniform looking totally different from everyone else's.
Same for McCoy's short-sleeved uniform for showing off them big hairy arms.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

CainFortea posted:

No, because you are never destroyed. Just your subatomic particles are pulled apart! But they definitely keep existing.

By this metric you die every single moment of your existence since you have now changed from the you a moment ago.

Also merging with multivac is entirely legit and still continuity. Let there be light!

Caterpillars liquify themselves in their cocoons and then reform themselves into butterflies and no one says a caterpillar dies when it becomes a butterfly.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Timby posted:

That's Dame Judith Anderson to you, and she's considered one of the most influential and iconic actors of the 20th century.

Is she?!
My ex watches so much 30s and 40s cinema and didn't know her

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Caterpillars liquify themselves in their cocoons and then reform themselves into butterflies and no one says a caterpillar dies when it becomes a butterfly.

Studies have shown that they do remember some of the things they've learned.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And there are quite a lot of people who argue that they die, that in many ways we should consider the butterfly a different entity to the caterpillar, and they're a species that cycles between two types of life down the family tree.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikeJF posted:

And there are quite a lot of people who argue that they die, that in many ways we should consider the butterfly a different entity to the caterpillar, and they're a species that cycles between two types of life down the family tree.

Is it the same boat though

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
the enterprise is a boat

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Tighclops posted:

the enterprise is a boat

A starboat

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
A garbage scow

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Of course I remember that vest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MikeJF posted:

No one says this though.