Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Heidi disappeared for a while pre-merge, but has been highly visible for the last two episodes. Lauren's definitely purpler, by dint of getting basically no confessionals ever, and I'd wager she's not long for the game.

I've been watching Australian Survivor recently, so maybe my standard for 'purpling' has gotten out of whack. In AS, someone will show up in like episode 10 that I swear I've never seen before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Bruce has gotten more confessional time than some Australian Survivor vote outs lmao

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I still remember from one season there was a woman named Sam I think who apparently was well positioned in her original tribe and even made it through to a swap before getting voted out. Never got a confessional :lol: In BvB there were those twin sisters too, almost never showed up and they made merge. That level of purpling is pretty unconscionable :lol:

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

I still remember from one season there was a woman named Sam I think who apparently was well positioned in her original tribe and even made it through to a swap before getting voted out. Never got a confessional :lol:

Literally the season I'm watching right now. I'd noticed Sam for, uh, reasons, but it wasn't until after the swap I realized Simon and Shaun were different people or that Hannah and Casey existed. A side benefit of the modern US diversity initiative is I don't have to try and distinguish between 3-4 different blonde women every season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I could be mistaken, but it looks like Andrea is in the new season of The Other Two, a great comedy show which has made references to Survivor in the past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n86Kx2Sy4w

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Zach from 42 is using the Twitter Blue Chaos to impersonate Carson and I find it more tolerable than Carson's usual self-promotion

https://twitter.com/zachwurt/status/1650569076245159977

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-amplify-winning-survivor-wasnt-the-games-biggest-hurdle/

quote:

I was, for the most part, invisible for the first half of my season, appearing minimally on screen, which led to many fans removing me from winner contention early on. While I was fortunate not to receive what fans call the “villain” edit, my “come-from-behind winner” edit still managed to confuse both me and the fandom. After watching each episode I’d wonder, why didn’t I show up much? Was I not good enough? Were the powers that be unhappy with me as the winner?

My win surprised many, and debates over whether it was rightfully earned persisted in online fan communities for months. In one poll, 80 per cent of fans voted that I didn’t deserve to win. As much as I tried to avoid it, the commentary was always prominent in my social media feeds.

I had concerns about the edit not because I wished for more screen time or to be the star of the show, but because of what resulted from it. Every day, for months, I received comments, tagged posts or direct messages from people telling me that I had only won because of a “woke” jury. I knew better than to take the cruel comments personally. But after months of being anonymously bullied, I was exhausted.

The lack of recognition wasn’t new – I’ve been overlooked many times in my life. In fact, my pre-Survivor experience as an Asian woman navigating the workplace heavily influenced my gameplay. I had been told to be bold in order to earn my spot in the decision-making room at work, but I’d also face consequences for sharing an opinion that wasn’t the status quo. Most women can relate to this workplace Catch-22 – assert yourself, but not too much. I had learned to move through the world by striking the delicate balance between making an impact and flying under the radar, while never reaching the highest levels. With a degree in media studies, I’ve also reflected on the portrayals of Asian women I grew up seeing in pop culture. Many were characterized as passive or disposable, or alternatively as strict “dragon ladies.” Like many under-represented groups, I was up against a lot of unconscious bias. The mirrors around me had always been distorted.

Interesting piece by Erika (s41 winner) on visibility, race, gender and 'the edit,' in today's newspaper.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Wasn’t Erika the one that bust out the greatest cast iron argument for winning at final tribal the thread had ever seen?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't know, what do you mean?

She was the one who beat Xander which blew up the brains of many a casual

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

njsykora posted:

Wasn’t Erika the one that bust out the greatest cast iron argument for winning at final tribal the thread had ever seen?

That was Maryanne from 42. Similar, if less severe, edit problem though. I said it at the time and I'll say it again, if you edit your winner to have a smaller edit than a winner who purposely gave production as little to work with as possible, you need a different job.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

A drastic reduction in confessional time for Carolyn

and we're back with the carolyn winner edit

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sighence posted:

That was Maryanne from 42. Similar, if less severe, edit problem though. I said it at the time and I'll say it again, if you edit your winner to have a smaller edit than a winner who purposely gave production as little to work with as possible, you need a different job.

Maryanne was honestly pretty present. She intentionally talked about her strategy since the merge even when she wasn't actively making moves. Even things like using her emotions when giving up immunity for rice.

People like Omar and Mike were obviously much more front and center, but Maryanne wasn't invisible. Heck, she ended up having the second most confessionals of the season (Mike had the most). Omar did have more before the finale, but I think that's fine as a 'last major hurdle' kinda deal.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I must have missed the hand off but who's idol did Kane have in his sock?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Jaime's fake one that they both thought was real. I was really hoping it would have been played. A bit surprised it even made the show.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this season is both boring and overwrought with advantages/twists.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

This episode was fine except for more jerking off about idol hunting, and the stupid rice negotiation that the cast all saw coming from a mile away (just like everything the cast sees coming and tries to play around). Those two things took up a huge amount of time on the show, though.

They even had some actual social interaction and further tied that into Carolyn's gameplan. By now there's no possible way anyone above age 14 could miss that Carolyn is the Main Character Of The Season.

Editing tried its best to embarrass Jaime with the fake idol but thankfully nobody ended up playing it. She seemed as paranoid there as she was in the first Tribal Council when she blew her Shot In The Dark.

Live Tribals are still dumb as hell but Yam's subtitle wipe was funny.

So, with Brandon and Kane both gone it looks like Danny is the next person they're going to turn heel. It feels like he or Frannie are going to go soon, because visible challenge beasts don't last much past the merge without winning the challenges. Assuming there's no more major vote manipulation, which, well, lol

mp5 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 27, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think it's funny that two seasons in a row someone thought they lost a hidden immunity idol because someone else got voted out with it when they gave it to them for safekeeping but both times they were wrong.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Might have been nice if they’d actually tried to negotiate.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

TheCenturion posted:

Might have been nice if they’d actually tried to negotiate.

This, wtf. Why did no one say "How about 3 people sit out and you give us 1/4 less rice" or whatever?

Carson looked shockingly pathetic this episode, and that's saying something.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Can’t 3D print yourself rice, buddy

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Production accidentally ruining their fake idols plot because of the spectre of a twist that doesn't even exist in this game is so funny. They can't even say "Knowledge is Power is not in play" because they also openly lie to their players during every merge now.

Carolyn saying she cries at how good her Halloween decorations are cements her as my fave.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Damnit Lauren I kept you on my roster because you at least had an advantage to play, and after all this time you give it to someone else?!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I swapped Kane off my bench for this ep. Whoops

Shneak posted:

Production accidentally ruining their fake idols plot because of the spectre of a twist that doesn't even exist in this game is so funny. They can't even say "Knowledge is Power is not in play" because they also openly lie to their players during every merge now.

Carolyn saying she cries at how good her Halloween decorations are cements her as my fave.
This idol was actually not one of their fakes also. It was a real deal homemade fake and nobody in the game knew

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

aidoru posted:

Carson looked shockingly pathetic this episode, and that's saying something.

Well I mean the last 2 weeks have been spent with Carson being sick and not feeling well.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Leatherhead posted:

Damnit Lauren I kept you on my roster because you at least had an advantage to play, and after all this time you give it to someone else?!

lol same but at least she gave it to someone else also on my roster

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Leatherhead posted:

Was pretty funny they swapped advantages around worried about the knowledge is power and now an "Idol" left the game and Jaime played Lauren's extra vote, which I'm pretty sure probably wasn't the plan.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Why did she play the extra vote, is there a world where that makes sense?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pinterest Mom posted:

Jaime's world is different.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Pinterest Mom posted:

I thought that was discussed as part of the plan… Im remembering a chat where they planned winning a 4-3 with a 2+1 (the extta vote) = 3 as their split. You could just go 3-3-3 though and get the same result on the revote ofc. Maybe they just wanted some insurance in case a vote got blocked or something

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

I thought that was discussed as part of the plan… Im remembering a chat where they planned winning a 4-3 with a 2+1 (the extta vote) = 3 as their split. You could just go 3-3-3 though and get the same result on the revote ofc. Maybe they just wanted some insurance in case a vote got blocked or something

They definitely discussed it in advance - my best guess is it was supposed to be insurance in case one of Tika flipped.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Tbh I am watching this season very loosely. Australia survivor burned me out a bit on it, and tbh George playing so psychotically hard soured survivor for me for a bit. So I don't really know what's happening but loving the physical comedy of Yam Yam and Caroline/Carolyn. And also whoever just won the foot edge immunity has great facial expressions too.

Go... Any of them!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lampsacus posted:

And also whoever just won the foot edge immunity has great facial expressions too.

Go... Any of them!

Frannie has two immunity wins and a guaranteed vote on the jury I don't think she's long for this game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You say that but dumber things have happened in Survivor. I can totally see people thinking yeah she's got one vote on the jury but what else has she done?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Frannie yeah! Yeah one of the main discussion points at the survivor watch party I just attended was if she is long for the game. She may have peak too early and th joke was she should publicallly denounce her bf at the next tribal "I was just playing you btw."

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
The Ignominious End of Kane “My Alliance of 4 out of 10 is Invincible” Fritzler, Master Strategist

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

tika 3 beautifully playing the middle these past 2 eps, gotta take out danny next tho

gotta say other than carolyn and franny i really don’t know anything at all about the remaining women

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

njsykora posted:

I can totally see people thinking yeah she's got one vote on the jury but what else has she done?

I can't see people saying that because she won two immunities.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
What has anyone done, really. Danny has his idol play. Frannie has challenge wins. Carolyn ran her own game early after being dismissed by everyone. Everyone else is pretty off the radar.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

tika 3 beautifully playing the middle these past 2 eps, gotta take out danny next tho

gotta say other than carolyn and franny i really don’t know anything at all about the remaining women

uhh one of them still has an idol I think? Not sure her name, but she's kinda short and wears her buff in her hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nystral posted:

uhh one of them still has an idol I think? Not sure her name, but she's kinda short and wears her buff in her hair.

Heidi literally found an idol in this week's episode, yes.