Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/markets/status/1651326559603523585?t=fneDKAo_UIlp-8IYbkrROg&s=19

Tyson has had record profits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

but did they have record growth? no, better tighten that belt

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Harik posted:

i have kids and dogs and I'm sympathetic to the dog owners on this one. They've been slowly excluded from everywhere else and kids drop poison entirely by accident because kids are kids.

when the two competing interests here are "dog owners" or "ruthless corporations making billions in profit every month and smug in their ownership of the federal government" I'm not gonna side with the rail industry and take a park away from dogs.

cool, it's not an argument about demolishing the dog park and banning dogs forever

impossible to maybe move a fence a lil, or build another fence. problem can't be solved. gently caress them kids

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm looking forward to the day that AI actually is truly guiding cybernetic capitalism, and then it tells the elite that they need to chill out and not take absolutely everything so that the working class has an alternative to killing them all.

And then they'll turn the AI off because that's totally anathema to their ideology and desires.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

HallelujahLee posted:

maybe at least update their perspectives but alot of those that do travel tend to be some of the worst turds this dump has to offer so its a double-edged sword

For sure, I hate tourists in general even when I’m a tourist or in my home country.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
look the economy can only heal when the poors are desperate and the fat cats fatter

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

skooma512 posted:

I'm looking forward to the day that AI actually is truly guiding cybernetic capitalism, and then it tells the elite that they need to chill out and not take absolutely everything so that the working class has an alternative to killing them all.

And then they'll turn the AI off because that's totally anathema to their ideology and desires.

Yeah that’s the day that server costs become VERY important.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Boeing Says ‘Gnarly’ Defect Is Disrupting Work on Its 737 Jets

quote:

Boeing Co. said it will need to repair around 170 already-built 737 Max jets in its storage lots to correct a structural defect that was discovered almost by accident.

gently caress up after gently caress after gently caress up at Boeing.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

totally tubular Boeing!!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Akratic Method posted:

Remember '08? They bailed out Bear-Stearns, and then the next time they got all :colbert: about bailing someone out, and so we had Lehman Brothers.

We're re-running that extremely successful playbook! At least, I think it was successful. Now, to take a big sip of my drink and look up historical economic data starting shortly after the Lehman Brothers collapse...

I just finished reading Too Big to Fail, inspired by the SVB problems. I definitely got the vibes of a repeat of "we bailed out this bank but now we really have to make it clear that we won't bail out others, which totally tanks confidence" from there with this. Obviously it's a slightly different scale

Father Wendigo posted:

When's First Republic going to get to the fireworks factory?? :mad:

Give them time. That poo poo is in dire straits but unfortunately this stuff rarely happens instantaneously. Got to drag it out for weeks probably

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

OhFunny posted:

"almost" by accident?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustached Demon posted:

I like milk in my coffee sometimes

I'm really loving mad right now.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

forkboy84 posted:

Give them time. That poo poo is in dire straits but unfortunately this stuff rarely happens instantaneously. Got to drag it out for weeks probably

SVB went from "troubled" on March 9/10 to "vaporized" the next week. FRB was showing serious structural issues back in March and it looks like the bill's come due this week.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

fdics gonna try to make them limp to eob friday. svb died on a thursday but frbs customers dont seem to be 100% twitter poisoned like svb

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ammanas posted:

but did they have record growth? no, better tighten that belt

to be honest if I had to grade layoffs at a manufacturer this would be the best kind

Tyson isn't laying off it's actual workforce that produces things and needs the jobs because they are barely getting by. This is "Corporate and Senior Leadership" so the legion of Directors and Chief Officers. Each type of Tyson offering has what is essentially a full mini-corporation in it full of worthless executives. Human Resources probably has a half dozen Vice Presidents for different regions.

Manufacturers actually targeting the real waste is a pretty funny concept. If it continued eventually you'd see former $500,000/yr Vice Presidents of Operations For Frozen Cooked Chicken driving for Uber because the market on absurdly overpaid people that don't do anything but have decades of C-Suite experience is completely saturated

unfortunately any savings from these layoffs will just be stolen by the remaining executives so it's not like workers would see a benefit from this. They'll probably be laid off too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

OhFunny posted:

supplier (sprit) hosed up, it was caught by someone from Boeing quality who observed the work being performed incorrectly

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think it's because they think other banks are on the brink of blowing up too and they're worried the banks will just let it happen because the government will bail them out. So they make an example of FRB and make it clear that other banks will not be rescued, so get their finances in order pronto.

Or, at least, that's my guess. Who knows what the gently caress's going on.

I worked for a lovely regional bank and I can't wait for their number to be up

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Manufacturers actually targeting the real waste is a pretty funny concept. If it continued eventually you'd see former $500,000/yr Vice Presidents of Operations For Frozen Cooked Chicken driving for Uber because the market on absurdly overpaid people that don't do anything but have decades of C-Suite experience is completely saturated

And they’d absolutely be driving for Uber because none of these bloated middle management types have any idea what to do with their money and blow it all on Teslas and lifestyle coolers.

This is my favorite scene from Margin call except none of those guys are as smart as bettany. Or as cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW1CrQu_H6E

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

OhFunny posted:

I mean the company is named after the noise the planes make when they crash

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Koirhor posted:

I mean the company is named after the noise the planes make when they crash

:drat:

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
https://twitter.com/PicturesFoIder/status/1651070107190190081

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

put another happy behind the happy guy labelled billionaire

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/navy-crowdsourcing-mission-littoral-combat-ship/

quote:

“We weren’t sure LCS was executing the missions it was designed for. And so we … went out to the number fleet commanders and said, ‘Alright, what do you want it to do?

https://taskandpurpose.com/tech-tactics/navy-littoral-combat-ship-foreign-military-sales/

quote:

The Navy plans on selling off six of its much-maligned littoral combat ships to U.S. allies through the Defense Department’s Foreign Military Sales program after just a few years at sea, according to the service’s recently-released shipbuilding plan.

We're just going to sell off the Little Crappy Ships to our allies for couch change. Another resounding success for the military industrial complex. The ships suck and should have never been built, but we got them under a plan that says they were supposed to cost $400 million each.

"In the fiscal year 2011, the unit cost was $1.8 billion and the program cost $3.7 billion."

Whoops.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
healthcare pls

no? ok well more infinite proxy war doodads is cool too, thanx for considering it at least

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Reminds me of when the Navy decided to make a new fire support platform, built a new destroyer around new guns, and then the guns can only fire rounds that cost $1,000,000 each so they're taking the guns off to replace them with missiles which are cheaper than gun rounds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Gun_System

quote:

AGS can only use ammunition designed specifically for the system. Only one ammunition type was designed, and the navy halted its procurement in November 2016 due to cost ($800,000 to $1,000,000 per round), so the AGS has no ammunition and cannot be used.

Oh. We didn't buy any ammo so we just can't shoot those guns at all.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Twerk from Home posted:

Reminds me of when the Navy decided to make a new fire support platform, built a new destroyer around new guns, and then the guns can only fire rounds that cost $1,000,000 each so they're taking the guns off to replace them with missiles which are cheaper than gun rounds.

These fucks are making mistakes that week-old Eve Online players don't make.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Rectal Death Adept posted:

unfortunately any savings from these layoffs will just be stolen by the remaining executives so it's not like workers would see a benefit from this. They'll probably be laid off too.

Weren't there like 2 plant closures just a month ago?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Twerk from Home posted:

Eh, the ships are Zumwalts - they'd likely roll over in the process of firing the AGS anyway! :haw:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Morbus posted:

Weren't there like 2 plant closures just a month ago?

yeah apparently 1,700 workers laid off when two plants closed last month

apparently that wasn't enough so the executives are picking off the weaker smaller executives now

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Are they gonna make an example of First Republic?

Yes they are Lord Pitt

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

sullat posted:

Yes they are Lord Pitt

Elder or younger

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

LORD PALMERSTON

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I mean, if there are larger structural issues and/or contagion risks then the only example they're setting is "here's what your future looks like."

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

Ammanas posted:

put another happy behind the happy guy labelled billionaire

have him jump out the emergency exit saying "wildcard, bitches!"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

FizFashizzle posted:

And they’d absolutely be driving for Uber because none of these bloated middle management types have any idea what to do with their money and blow it all on Teslas and lifestyle coolers.

This is my favorite scene from Margin call except none of those guys are as smart as bettany. Or as cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW1CrQu_H6E

just rewatched that movie and it's fantastic except that it makes the finance bros be slightly human which is probably too generous

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Shithole country

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Whale economy but with chicken trendies

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Twerk from Home posted:

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/navy-crowdsourcing-mission-littoral-combat-ship/

https://taskandpurpose.com/tech-tactics/navy-littoral-combat-ship-foreign-military-sales/

We're just going to sell off the Little Crappy Ships to our allies for couch change. Another resounding success for the military industrial complex. The ships suck and should have never been built, but we got them under a plan that says they were supposed to cost $400 million each.

"In the fiscal year 2011, the unit cost was $1.8 billion and the program cost $3.7 billion."

Whoops.

Man the Navy's been trying to build stupid micro battleships to cruise the coastlines since the 1800s, but keep finding out that the equivalent of a frigate does the job better than dozens of these floating garbage piles. They keep scrapping the program but I guess new technology promises that this time this time we can totally park a giant gun on a tiny boat. It'll work this time, you guys! It'll make our coastlines impenetrable. We'll have complete control of our enemy's coastlines. Our allies will beg us to patrol their coastlines. <Off-mic>What do you mean it won't float in the rain? And it can't shoot? Well what can it do? Really? Oyvvvv... Hey, Hey! So umm, we have this new airplane. Shut up... I KNOW it doesn't fly in the rain, SHUT UHHHHP! It'll knock little Emmbeeass right on his rear end. Heh, heh.

anonumos has issued a correction as of 03:00 on Apr 27, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I like how America's adversaries are all about submarines... but we still don't have a replacement for the Perry-class for ASW and IIRC the Navy's plan is just rely on (land-based) P-8s for anti-submarine ops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Lmao that the US Navy keeps trying to make the USS Monitor over and over