Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Do you even hear yourself?

Chapo Trap House has always mostly been about knowing too much about weird essays and the weirdos who write them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
The interview was fine, once it gets past the guests inferiority complex / imposter syndrome around the DFW essay it picks up and gets interesting. There's some good jokes near the end. I enjoyed it.

But yeah, as the boys at Red Letter Media always say; "don't remind the audience of the other thing" or if you can't get over it, then lean the gently caress in to it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

PostNouveau posted:

This seemed like a great topic but then the guest is immediately like "Yeah it was just a boring regular cruise. Don't read my article. David Foster Wallace did it better. Just go read that :effort:"

Not a good start!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

General Dog posted:

Little Goop cruise
You don’t know what I got

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Lauren Oyler's cruise ship article was boring because it was mostly about her and her entire personality seemed to be built around "I had two boyfriends at the time"

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Not a bad ep in the end, but Ms. Oyler's hesitancy to commit to a statement or joke is an odd contrast with the hosts making bold declarative statements comstamtly regardless of how wrong or stupid it might be

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Greatbacon posted:

The interview was fine, once it gets past the guests inferiority complex / imposter syndrome around the DFW essay it picks up and gets interesting. There's some good jokes near the end. I enjoyed it.

But yeah, as the boys at Red Letter Media always say; "don't remind the audience of the other thing" or if you can't get over it, then lean the gently caress in to it.

I like my podcasts to be good, not slogs to be labored through

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The DFW essay is extremely good still, you all should read it

https://harpers.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/HarpersMagazine-1996-01-0007859.pdf

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
People ITT come up with the dumbest loving poo poo to complain about. The interviewee talked more than Will, the interviewee was a woman, whatever.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Hey guys if anyone needs me I’ll be in the attic reading old Harpers articles

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i have a ball. perhaps you would like to bounce it.

lmao this is one of my favorite scenes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://harpers.org/2019/07/revolution-to-the-end-a-guide-to-the-democratic-candidates-communists/

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
they call people article heads because secretly they are the biggest article heads of all

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fine interview, not what I expected but I still enjoyed it. Also I'm still giggling about "D'OH, SHE BIT M'PENIS!!!"

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
They should recruit a female host IMO. mix it up

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Her article on the cruise spent a lot of unnecessary time on talking about the old article, as well as things that just don't really add up to much. I kinda get why she'd rather refer to the other one.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

They should recruit a female host IMO. mix it up

They tried to do that but it turned out Amber is Lev Parnas in disguise.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

💯 u ppl need to read more

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
You guys made it sound like she spent the entire interview apologizing for not being David Foster Wallace and I just listened to it think its literally 3 minutes of a 40 minute interview lol, always count on goons (to be wrong)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's about the same as when tolkein spent 25 pages of Fellowship apologizing for writing fiction similar to cs lewis

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

i say swears online posted:

it's about the same as when tolkein spent 25 pages of Fellowship apologizing for writing fiction similar to cs lewis

Ooooooo you're making me so NERD-MAD!!!
:goonsay:

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Majorian posted:

Ooooooo you're making me so NERD-MAD!!!
:goonsay:

The Magician's Failson

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

General Dog posted:

I had no prior knowledge of David Foster Wallace's allegedly famous cruise essay, but I do basically know who David Foster Wallace is, so when she mentioned very close to the top that he wrote the definitive modern piece on the cruise experience, I accepted her framing of that piece as something she felt looming over her and listened on without much difficulty.

Same, people itt are such stupid whiny babies

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
This thread has a bizarre phenomenon where within minutes of a new episode dropping someone feels the need to fire off some kind of bitching remark about it, or the hosts, or the guest, often posting before one could conceivably have listened to more than the first ten minutes of it. Which in a way means the dirt bag left movement is now in its mainstream stage of course

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Of any thread this is the thread where I expect most people to be aware of famous essays of the past 20 years or so.

PostNouveau posted:

I've always wondered about those themed cruises because it seems like it would be tough to fill an entire cruiseliner with people willing to pay that much for just one thing. Apparently they don't and a cruise ship will have several themes at once, and then Goop didn't bother to, like, program anything for their customers.

Wonder if they still do the Boob Cruise.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Groovelord Neato posted:

Wonder if they still do the Boob Cruise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=031vKBPk5eA

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

all the radio personalities here do cruises and I cannot imagine how lame the people that sign up are

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Me when the Stormy Daniels brouhaha started up.

This piece about Sean McElwee is pretty great:

https://t.co/cOufE8zD2M

quote:

In addition to betting against this party’s prospects in the House, Sean also had wagers against Democratic candidates in most of the competitive Senate races: Arizona, Nevada, Wisconsin, Ohio …

Then, there was the matter of Pennsylvania — and his own client, John Fetterman. The lingering effects from his stroke had contributed to a poor debate performance as his campaign hit the homestretch. Data For Progress’s recent polling showed the Democrat in decline, and Sean had sold his prediction-market shares on Fetterman’s general-election victory.

“I think he’s f---ed,” Sean said, taking a sip of his iced coffee.

“Do you own any Fetterman stock right now?” I asked.

“Let me see,” he said, checking his phone. “I have 53 shares on ‘No.’”

“Fifty‐three shares that Fetterman will lose?”

“Yeah.”

Even when it looked like a red wave was coming it was obvious Oz and Masters were going to lose lmao

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 26, 2023

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Groovelord Neato posted:

Kicking feet back

"you see, Danni Ashe was an entrepreneur"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Heath posted:

This thread has a bizarre phenomenon where within minutes of a new episode dropping someone feels the need to fire off some kind of bitching remark about it, or the hosts, or the guest, often posting before one could conceivably have listened to more than the first ten minutes of it. Which in a way means the dirt bag left movement is now in its mainstream stage of course
Sometimes I'm browsing the forums in the morning while listening to the episode, and I feel like posting my impressions of the first few minutes. But I don't.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

This piece about Sean McElwee is pretty great:

https://t.co/cOufE8zD2M

Even when it looked like a red wave was coming it was obvious Oz and Masters were going to lose lmao

It's a hell of a piece. Jesus what an rear end in a top hat. Also it somehow feels more degenerate that he apparently pissed off the Fetterman campaign and was loving around with betting against him for a $53 bet (if people don't know how it works, "shares" should mean it was PredictIt so one share means betting some amount to win a dollar).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

The McElwee piece posted:

There were, nonetheless, signs of genuine idealism in Sean. He had a girlfriend, Bobbi. Early in their courtship, she told me, they were hanging out in Sean’s bed when he decided to play her something from one of his Spotify playlists. It wasn’t mood music. It was a 1968 recording of Ted Kennedy’s famous eulogy at his brother Robert’s funeral — about how standing up for ideals, and working to improve other people’s lives, can create ripples of hope that combine to make a powerful current.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Let me set the mood, baby

*puts the needle down on Obama's Charleston sermon*

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Powerful and important media consumption

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the ending of the mcelwee article is so good

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives
Was waiting for a joke about Oyler's book "Fake Accounts" where the protagonist's extremely online conspiracy-theorist bf is named Felix. The book sucked btw, don't read it.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Seeing McElwee fall gives me more schadenfreude than nearly anything

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mike N Eich posted:

Seeing McElwee fall gives me more schadenfreude than nearly anything

emptyquote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Wolfsheim posted:

lol, always count on goons (to be wrong)