Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvV1-WNZfho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Ostrava posted:

I may be totally wrong but if so then Choi and Park are so incredibly stupid I'm stunned they reached such a senior position at Nexon in the first place.

Yeah it’s not like they’re dumb enough to delete evidence after finding out it’s important.

Think back to every manager you’ve ever had or heard about and tell me with a straight face you don’t think it’s possible for a moron to get high up in a company.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

In one particularly damning email, Eric Schmidt of Google tells Steve Jobs that a recruiter who contacted an Apple employee had violated the agreement and would be terminated "within the hour."

Jobs responded with a smiley face.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Yeah it’s not like they’re dumb enough to delete evidence after finding out it’s important.

Think back to every manager you’ve ever had or heard about and tell me with a straight face you don’t think it’s possible for a moron to get high up in a company.

Park was literally That Guy who was beyond a lot of Nexon's worst practices and Choi was apparently a good enough friend that they came up with a plan to jump ship from Nexon together. Park's as corpo as it gets himself. Which is why I don't find it easy to trust him or Choi.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Lol you’ve been sucking Nexons dick all thread, now the indie devs are “too corporate” come on dude your gimmick is poo poo

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
Kchama should be forced to play a Nexon DaD with microtransactions to portal out.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was thinking during the playtest that no matter how poorly the lawsuit goes the fanbase is rabid enough this would be inevitable.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

Kchama should be forced to play a Nexon DaD with microtransactions to portal out.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Lol you’ve been sucking Nexons dick all thread, now the indie devs are “too corporate” come on dude your gimmick is poo poo

If you say that then you have not read my posts, lol. Just because I think Nexon might be more right doesn't mean I like them. It is funny how mad you are getting that I'm not reflexively thinking Nexon is wrong in this one specific situation purely because Nexon is a big lovely-rear end company. Nexon's one of the worst companies in the world when it comes to games and I hate their loving guts. I've stated before that if Nexon is right then I don't want Ironmace to win because I don't want big corpos to win more power over little devs. Since that is who will abuse the "can quit to join other companies to make the game for them" becoming much more legal. But if Nexon is lying then, as I've said before, they can get hosed. If Ironmace is actually the most innocent indie company alive and is telling the truth and did nothing wrong then I'll apologize.

Also I never accused Ironmace of being 'too corporate', I like how you put that in quotes to act like I said that. I said I don't trust Park and Choi BECAUSE they use to be NEXON higher-ups. I don't trust Nexon either, but for now they're at least willing to say stuff in a way that means they'll face some consequence if they're lying.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I just don't think "surely they can't be that dumb" is a point in ironmace's favor when everything they've done since the DMCA is, legally speaking, the dumbest possible poo poo they could be doing.

like yeah they absolutely could be that dumb

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Kchama posted:

If you say that then you have not read my posts, lol. Just because I think Nexon might be more right doesn't mean I like them. It is funny how mad you are getting that I'm not reflexively thinking Nexon is wrong in this one specific situation purely because Nexon is a big lovely-rear end company. Nexon's one of the worst companies in the world when it comes to games and I hate their loving guts. I've stated before that if Nexon is right then I don't want Ironmace to win because I don't want big corpos to win more power over little devs. Since that is who will abuse the "can quit to join other companies to make the game for them" becoming much more legal. But if Nexon is lying then, as I've said before, they can get hosed. If Ironmace is actually the most innocent indie company alive and is telling the truth and did nothing wrong then I'll apologize.

Also I never accused Ironmace of being 'too corporate', I like how you put that in quotes to act like I said that. I said I don't trust Park and Choi BECAUSE they use to be NEXON higher-ups. I don't trust Nexon either, but for now they're at least willing to say stuff in a way that means they'll face some consequence if they're lying.

Even if Ironmace did steal assets from Nexon and even the copper wires out of their loving HQ they still "did nothing wrong." If Nexon could make a better game... they would've made it by now.

They didn't, and they can't, and this whole saga reeks of bitterness over that fact. The material theft is a matter for the courts but really has no bearing on why we think Ironmace did nothing wrong, and why the thread is taking you to task over obsessing on that detail of it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That last playtest, while fun, was absolutely the dumbest poo poo they could do. It's like having your license suspended, even if it was incorrect and you have a hearing scheduled, and continuing to drive.

It's okay to like Ironmace and hate Nexon, but you should also recognize that maybe Nexon is right, even if it sucks. Only time and the legal process will tell.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

sure okay posted:

Even if Ironmace did steal assets from Nexon and even the copper wires out of their loving HQ they still "did nothing wrong." If Nexon could make a better game... they would've made it by now.

They didn't, and they can't, and this whole saga reeks of bitterness over that fact. The material theft is a matter for the courts but really has no bearing on why we think Ironmace did nothing wrong, and why the thread is taking you to task over obsessing on that detail of it.

Even while nothing wrong, legally opening up this as a thing you can do and get away with it won't have a good result. Which is why I actually care about it. And that's the aspect I've been caring about, the legal aspect. I'd rather it come out that Ironmace stole nothing and gets to make the game, because that's the ideal outcome in all aspects.

Also, I laugh at the idea that "if Nexon could make a better game, they would have made it by now", as someone who has experience with this sort of thing, if a large chunk of your development team leaves, you can't just slot in a new team and expect them to instantly be able to continue the exact same pace as there would have had if those members hadn't left. Also, it's not like Dark and Darker is a finished game either. It's still in early beta, and the playtests have been the only reason people have even gotten to try the game. If P3's development had continued at the exact moment everyone had left at the same speed, we wouldn't have heard about it until Nexon felt they were ready to show it off, which wouldn't be in a state like D&D's current one, because they don't like letting people play early betas. But that's a hypothetical since there's no way that could have happened.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

sure okay posted:

which type of law do you usually practice

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I'm looking at the entire Nexon lineup here and, at least from my western perspective it's pretty dire

D&D had some surprising buzz going. Some real juice. And so Nexon goes, "Hey! That's our thing! Get sued."

Sure. Maybe. But it sure as hell doesn't look like your thing. For starters, D&D is fun. And that's just for starters.

Nexon has had a lot of swings at bat, and their portfolio shares some throughlines that could charitably be called "niche and MTX heavy." For them to claim that they could have, just around the corner, any moment now, captured the same magic and get the same engagement, is not something they've proven with past offerings.

But let's say for the sake of argument that they did have a good loop going internally, and that it was ruthlessly stolen from them. What would Nexon have done with that "good loop?" Can you visualize in your head what their MTX shop looks like, what their content drops looks like?

I don't even have to spell it out. Look at any Steam page for any of their games.

The details don't really concern me from a "who's right and who's wrong" perspective. I see a very predatory publisher who does not have a track record of caring about the fun of their games, and they may have gotten stolen from. On it's own, that's not great. But then that alleged theft lead to a game that many people do, actually, find fun. Well, that's a different story.

In service of making a better product, of putting more smiles on more kids faces, of making something that isn't riddled with predatory sales tactics, I say, "Good!" Steal from them again. Take the copper, too. I'm only sad that Ironmace doesn't seem to be getting away with it.

These are just things I think about when I see people bold the word right in some fervent clarification.

sure okay fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 27, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Kchama posted:

But you do. Look at your posts you've obviously decided you like them. You bring up completely irrelevant stuff like Korean players feeling betrayed by Ironmace having a backer even though it's completely irrelevant to the court case. You just present random dirt on Ironmace (and only Ironmace) over and over in addition to your "objective analysis". Why? Who knows! But it's pretty hard to miss.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

sure okay posted:

I'm looking at the entire Nexon lineup here and, at least from my western perspective it's pretty dire

D&D had some surprising buzz going. Some real juice. And so Nexon goes, "Hey! That's our thing! Get sued."

Sure. Maybe. But it sure as hell doesn't look like your thing. For starters, D&D is fun. And that's just for starters.

Nexon has had a lot of swings at bat, and their portfolio shares some throughlines that could charitably be called "niche and MTX heavy." For them to claim that they could have, just around the corner, any moment now, captured the same magic and get the same engagement, is not something they've proven with past offerings.

But let's say for the sake of argument that they did have a good loop going internally, and that it was ruthlessly stolen from them. What would Nexon have done with that "good loop?" Can you visualize in your head what their MTX shop looks like, what their content drops looks like?

I don't even have to spell it out. Look at any Steam page for any of their games.

The details don't really concern me from a "who's right and who's wrong" perspective. I see a very predatory publisher who does not have a track record of caring about the fun of their games, and they may have gotten stolen from. On it's own, that's not great. But then that alleged theft lead to a game that many people do, actually, find fun. Well, that's a different story.

In service of making a better product, of putting more smiles on more kids faces, of making something that isn't riddled with predatory sales tactics, I say, "Good!" Steal from them again. Take the copper, too. I'm only sad that Ironmace doesn't seem to be getting away with it.

These are just things I think about when I see people bold the word right in some fervent clarification.

To Western audiences, sure, but they crush it in Korea. People in different markets like different things. It's a multi billion dollar company that employs thousands and thousands of people. It's also not unusual that a Korean demographic is supportive of a Korean company. poo poo, in the USA we tag our stuff "Made in the USA" as a sense of pride and like to buy American.

D&D does appeal to the western market and that's why it's so popular here. And maybe that, while being unappealing to their market (the Korean one), is part of why they decided to not pursue it any further. I don't know if Kchama is Korean or whatever, or just interested into the culture (I actually love Korean shows and films myself) but I also don't really care. I'm supportive of a smaller company creating a great product, I always favor underdogs, but I also support copyright and being able to create something and own it. I just don't know if Nexon really owns what D&D is. More info really needs to come out.

I don't know what the very first looter shooter, survival extraction whatever game was, but for the case of the argument: Escape from Tarkov is by far the biggest and most successful and is responsible for an entire genre becoming popular, but Battlestate Games should by no means should own that concept. A fantasy looter extraction game based on broad characters such as Fighter, Wizard, Rogue, is so loving ambiguous that there is no way Nexon should be able to own it. What it's gonna come down to is: was Ironmace so dumb that they used the same backbone of P3 to create DaD or did they do enough to separate them? I think we've all copied someones homework and you can change enough to make it original, but at the same time, the best way to do something is the best way and Nexon can't own that. Ironmace shouldn't have to modify their code or whatever to make it seem like not P3 if that creates an inferior product. That poo poo is just dumb as hell.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

No Wave posted:

But you do. Look at your posts you've obviously decided you like them. You bring up completely irrelevant stuff like Korean players feeling betrayed by Ironmace having a backer even though it's completely irrelevant to the court case. You just present random dirt on Ironmace (and only Ironmace) over and over in addition to your "objective analysis". Why? Who knows! But it's pretty hard to miss.

It's relevant to the court case because it does explain some things, like why Dark and Darker not ever coming out in Sourth Korea, despite it being developed by a South Korean company. And it's not like we need dirt on Nexon to know they are scum-sucking poo poo bags. We KNOW Nexon are shitbags to the core, you don't need anyone to tell you that. But people act like Ironmace has never done anything wrong, and doubly so because they did it to a big lovely company. Which is why I bring up the aspects about them that contradicts their public image and words. I love being a detective and putting together evidence and presenting it. We know the evidence is that Nexon sucks and we don't need to hash that out.

And, as I've said, I worry about the fallout of Ironmace being guilty of what they were accused of and it being brushed aside and made precedence to be done to small companies like Ironmace. There's a reason why I said that the best, most ideal outcome is the one where Ironmace is totally innocent and Nexon is just being bitter evil jerks and eat poo poo for overreaching. Because I don't want Ironmace to have done wrong and Nexon to be right.

ShowTime posted:

To Western audiences, sure, but they crush it in Korea. People in different markets like different things. It's a multi billion dollar company that employs thousands and thousands of people. It's also not unusual that a Korean demographic is supportive of a Korean company. poo poo, in the USA we tag our stuff "Made in the USA" as a sense of pride and like to buy American.

D&D does appeal to the western market and that's why it's so popular here. And maybe that, while being unappealing to their market (the Korean one), is part of why they decided to not pursue it any further. I don't know if Kchama is Korean or whatever, or just interested into the culture (I actually love Korean shows and films myself) but I also don't really care. I'm supportive of a smaller company creating a great product, I always favor underdogs, but I also support copyright and being able to create something and own it. I just don't know if Nexon really owns what D&D is. More info really needs to come out.

I don't know what the very first looter shooter, survival extraction whatever game was, but for the case of the argument: Escape from Tarkov is by far the biggest and most successful and is responsible for an entire genre becoming popular, but Battlestate Games should by no means should own that concept. A fantasy looter extraction game based on broad characters such as Fighter, Wizard, Rogue, is so loving ambiguous that there is no way Nexon should be able to own it. What it's gonna come down to is: was Ironmace so dumb that they used the same backbone of P3 to create DaD or did they do enough to separate them? I think we've all copied someones homework and you can change enough to make it original, but at the same time, the best way to do something is the best way and Nexon can't own that. Ironmace shouldn't have to modify their code or whatever to make it seem like not P3 if that creates an inferior product. That poo poo is just dumb as hell.

I'm not Korean myself (it's why I mentioned not speaking it), but like you I do love Korean culture, which is why I even cared enough to look into things, and Dark and Darker is a game I've played and enjoyed. But just because I like the game doesn't mean I have to back the company no matter what. I love plenty of games from garbage-rear end companies, and while I would be sad if some of those games died or disappeared because of those companies' wrongdoing having consequences, that's preferable to just ignoring it because 'game good', and the other side being a poo poo-awful company itself.

Also I'll note that P3's concept was actually very popular in Nexon's offices, and they've stated they were certain it would be a smash hit in South Korea just by the concept alone, even before you get into the exact nitty gritty of P3 or D&D.

One thing that gives me reason to think that the law will fall on Nexon's side is that the entire Lineage III -> TERA thing happened, and the only reason TERA wasn't disallowed to be released was because it was significantly different from Lineage III despite having used stolen files in the creation.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 27, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011
This game is not remotely worth this much bad posting.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Orv posted:

We're only on page 25. Have you not seen the Star Citizen thread?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not in years and I’m fine with that.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Orv posted:

counterpoint: D&D is the only game worth posting about and is the only fun game left in existence for me

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Akumos posted:

counterpoint: D&D is the only game worth posting about and is the only fun game left in existence for me

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Akumos posted:

That’s very sad

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Akumos posted:

It's actually surprising how little posting it has considering how huge the last Steam playtest was. Had a tough time finding the thread when I first got into the game.

CharlestonJew posted:

That’s very sad

There aren't many good games and even fewer in the multiplayer pvp realm.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

CharlestonJew posted:

That’s very sad

nah, if you want to enjoy this type of game content you basically need to have a big boner for guns and shooters, and thats really loving boring

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nah, if you want to enjoy this type of game content you basically need to have a big boner for guns and shooters, and thats really loving boring

Yeah the only other option is a Chivalry mod I doubt anyone plays anymore.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
You could try Expedition to Agartha, which is free right now, but it would likely only increase your lust for Dark and Darker, if you really love Dark and Darker that much. But it's not bad.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I feel like this thread has three different discussions going on and all trying to talk to each other constantly.

You've got the people just sort of speculating about the legal outcomes of the trial.

You've got people arguing about the moral justification of what's happening.

And you've got people trying to will the game into existence by trying to banish all negativity from the thread.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

rumbleverse was another good rear end game in the vein of "Battle Royales But No Guns" but it went under recently too. This sub-genre is cursed lol

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Everyone who has come close to DAD can't help but bog their game down with microtransactions, FOMO shops, loot boxes, season passes, premium currencies.

That's the biggest edge DAD has IMO. Even if Nexon had released P3 I guarantee you it would have gone way of the rumbleverse because that poo poo just sucks all the joy out of a game

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Also Rumbleverse is third person and looks like Fortnite and is not like dnd at all really.

ShowTime posted:

You could try Expedition to Agartha, which is free right now, but it would likely only increase your lust for Dark and Darker, if you really love Dark and Darker that much. But it's not bad.

From the video linked in the thread the TTK is (a lot?) higher in Agartha and part of what I love about dnd is how quickly you can cut someone down.

Mendrian posted:

And you've got people trying to will the game into existence by trying to banish all negativity from the thread.

I didn't try to banish the negativity but the power of positive thinking cannot be denied.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 28, 2023

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Expedition to Agartha felt super bad to me. The hits have zero crunch to them. Just like slapping folks with a pool noodle.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrnrlODZvm4
this is so scuffed lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

this is so scuffed lol

When I first saw the +debuff attribute on the gear I thought wouldn't it be funny to play a game where all the items give you negative options and lmao that's actually how it works.

Unrelated but I wish the game had a death sound. Tough looking at the killfeed in the heat of battle.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
The newest discord conspiracy theory is that Graysun recently posted a video of himself playing the game and it is 9:05 in length on his YT, so people are now thinking EA on 5/9

I love this dumb community.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The newest discord conspiracy theory is that Graysun recently posted a video of himself playing the game and it is 9:05 in length on his YT, so people are now thinking EA on 5/9

I love this dumb community.

Reminds me of the insane amount of fake lore the Elden Ring subreddit came up with in between the reveal trailer and the gameplay trailer.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
hmmmm after weeks of silence,

maybe we get some news soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

DaD going to be integrated into Star Citizen as a planet you can visit.