Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the biggest praise i've heard for ps4 sakura wars is that it could have been a decent launching point for a new series that could've fixed its design issues and it has some fun characters in it but that the action gameplay shift was a huge detriment and it's not as good as the older ones overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Colonel posted:

the biggest praise i've heard for ps4 sakura wars is that it could have been a decent launching point for a new series that could've fixed its design issues and it has some fun characters in it but that the action gameplay shift was a huge detriment and it's not as good as the older ones overall

I would agree with all of that. For 15 bucks I’d probably pick it up though, mostly enjoyed the game overall.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Popping in to recommend Cassette Beasts. It dropped on Steam today.

I'm just an hour in, but it plays like a combo of Pokemon and Persona. You collect monsters in a Pokemon style overworld with movement skills based on your captures, and your characters transform into them combat. The gimmick is your party members can Voltron their monsters based on how good their relationship is, making a hybrid monster with their combined moves and stats to brute-force hard fights. There's also an action point mechanic that encourages using buffs and switching between monsters to set up your stronger attacks.

It's pretty fun up front with upbeat music and a cutesy 2.5D pixel art style. Storywise you've been transported to another world, and you're channeling monsters through your off-brand Walkman after recording them in combat on cassette tapes.

Super early story spoiler: :siren: It might have an Inscryption schtick too. It's hard to say, but that's my kneejerk reaction from a deranged and polygonal enemy overlaying the screen with VHS effects.
Edit: I just noticed what I spoiler tagged is in the Steam trailer. It's probably not a big thing then.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 26, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the sakura wars reboot is fine but the action comat is dull and there's a lot of blatantly unfinished stuff. like the entire game being about fighting Rival Teams from other countries but the first team you fight only has two real characters and then a bunch of generics, and then every other country only has 1 actual character,

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Donnerberg posted:

I'm just an hour in, but it plays like a combo of Pokemon and Persona. You collect monsters in a Pokemon style overworld with movement skills based on your captures, and your characters transform into them combat. The gimmick is your party members can Voltron their monsters based on how good their relationship is, making a hybrid monster with their combined moves and stats to brute-force hard fights. There's also an action point mechanic that encourages using buffs and switching between monsters to set up your stronger attacks.

It's pretty fun up front with upbeat music and a cutesy 2.5D pixel art style. Storywise you've been transported to another world, and you're channeling monsters through your off-brand Walkman after recording them in combat on cassette tapes.

Super early story spoiler: :siren: It might have an Inscryption schtick too. It's hard to say, but that's my kneejerk reaction from a deranged and polygonal enemy overlaying the screen with VHS effects.
Edit: I just noticed what I spoiler tagged is in the Steam trailer. It's probably not a big thing then.

I really enjoyed the demo for this, can't wait to dig in to the full thing. It's on gamepass too for anyone else reading.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm continuing my playthrough of Octopath Traveler 1, about halfway through the Ch 2s of every character, and this game has such a weird/non-existent difficulty curve. Maybe the game didn't intend for me to steal every OP weapon these poor townspeople had, but by god it gave me the option to and I took it. But I haven't really had to struggle in any fight so far and I'm sure my characters aren't even hyper optimized in terms of support skills and whatnot.

And these side dungeon areas are just full of loot that's generally worse than what you can buy at comparable towns, so it all feels like a bit of a waste of time?

Ocotopath Traveler, as a series, is actually really easy even if you're below the recommended level. Things will actually get worse if you explore as encouraged, since you cannot disable encounters. I would highly recommend having an A team and a B team so you're able to pace the content in such a way that you're at least getting some sort of challenge in the later chapters.

To be clear, things will definitely get much harder in later chapters when bosses utilize different gimmicks. But the only real challenge in that game was the super boss, which is the difference between a garden hose and a firehose.

Not all good items are stealable, you will want to continue opening chests IIRC, especially in later areas.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

RareAcumen posted:

Hey, you guys were talking about Monark this week and now it's on sale for 33$ till May 11th

Someone, tell me about that Sakura Wars game, on one hand I'm tempted but not fully sold on getting it, but on the other it's dropped to 15$ which is a price I'm willing to give a game a shot for. The other issue is that there are six games that aren't on sale right now but I know I'll definitely play eventually; like Live-a-Live, Crisis Core, Isshin, and Megaman Battle Network.

More characters in general need to use unconventional weaponry. Take more inspiration from Jackie Chan, drat you. At least the new Breath of the Wild game is following up on that.

Sakura wars was ok from what I played of it. I enjoyed some of the writing and characters but the action sucked and despite my best efforts I could not 100% entirely avoid being a standard harem anime protag creep. I tapped out when I got to the chapter about the 14 year old ninja because I didn't really have any reason to give it the benefit of the doubt. Like that chapter might be fine, but nothing was compelling enough to give it a chance and not assume it wouldn't do something terrible since there was at least 1 aggressively terrible event per chapter.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
aggressively terrible is my wrestling name

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Donnerberg posted:

possibly bigger than you think - (not sure if spoiler) Apparently this game is connected to/a sequel to Lenna's Inception? Which was definitely not shy about screwing with the player as part of its plot.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

the sakura wars reboot is fine but the action comat is dull and there's a lot of blatantly unfinished stuff. like the entire game being about fighting Rival Teams from other countries but the first team you fight only has two real characters and then a bunch of generics, and then every other country only has 1 actual character,

also they didn't let me smooch Lancelot

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
got stuck just after the wrecking ball fight in like a dragon and it's a little bit infuriating to find out that like all sub stories and fast travel are completely locked off until i beat the next fight, which i just could not handle cause i've been mainlining the main story. all i can do is part time hero and management stuff and management can't even help me that much because without fast travel i can't get to the crafting material shop without running across the entire map

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Playing Voice of Cards now after DQVI final boss destroyed my will. Seems neat, but so far I wish those little dice on the sideboard got used.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc some of the dice get used for certain attacks, as well as minigames.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hell yeah

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Pro tip the minigame in the Voice of Cards series sucks absolute poo poo and there is no reason to play it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Colonel posted:

I still really enjoyed Sakura Wars a lot. I have the original Sega Saturn game but have never played that, I really should though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I still really enjoyed Sakura Wars a lot. I have the original Sega Saturn game but have never played that, I really should though.

It's probably going to be the club game for May. I've decided. It's time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Thank you! That is the motivation I needed.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sakura wars saturn is. interesting. but the combat is not good. there's a reason 3 is the one that gets talked up

biggest frustration is that sakura wars 1 and 3 got ps2 ports but 2 and 4 didn't so there's no real way to get the full experience without trudging through some saturn-era sakura wars combat jank

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What's the broad opinion on the only other one with a localization, 5?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
decent but it loses out on the interconnectivity of the previous four and isn't as well liked as 3

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

5 is pretty good but it has one character whose chapters suuuck and it lacks the retro charm of the other games

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Junpei posted:

it's pretty fun, and it doesn't have iris so that's a bonus

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dunno why SE wanted to make buying Voice of Cards and the DLC as confusing as possible but hey Im having fun cause a simple, intuitive battle system and [a e s t h e t i c] carries me really far.

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
Anyone play any of the Voice of Cards games or have thoughts about them? Kind of interested in them and they're on sale. Mostly for music/story, as I hear the gameplay is nothing to write home about.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

the Paper posted:

Anyone play any of the Voice of Cards games or have thoughts about them? Kind of interested in them and they're on sale. Mostly for music/story, as I hear the gameplay is nothing to write home about.

I've only played the first one and it's sorta like "what if Yoko Taro was the game master for your tabletop rpg" with stuff like "this village in the forest is called Forest Village"

The plot has some good beats to it but it felt like a really basic fantasy rpg condensed to 10 hours.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Todd Haberkorn AMSR simulator
they should get Tara Platt to do the next game master voice over

Barudak
May 7, 2007

the Paper posted:

Literally playing the first at the moment. Its not amazing but has a neat art style and a decent if basic combat system and has a slight commitment to making its characters a little off kilter even if none are truly unique.

What Im saying is after my Dragon Quest binge this is a breath of fresh air and Im going to buy the other two.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

kirbysuperstar posted:

what club is this? is it an open to all rpg club?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Artelier posted:

what club is this? is it an open to all rpg club?

It is the Sega Saturn club, in the Retro Games subforum, though there is an RPG club in there too!

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Barudak posted:

Literally playing the first at the moment. Its not amazing but has a neat art style and a decent if basic combat system and has a slight commitment to making its characters a little off kilter even if none are truly unique.

What Im saying is after my Dragon Quest binge this is a breath of fresh air and Im going to buy the other two.

They're really solid little games. Still need to finish the third. The second goes some really interesting places with the plot.

I'm a really big fan of games that don't go on too long.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Played a bunch of Cassette Beasts last night and I do like it a lot but...It is a bit harder than I would like. Enemies do sooo much damage that I feel like I have to heal constantly, which is more tedious than anything since you can only hold 5 health recovery items and 1 revival item at a time and have to rely on finding campfires.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I enjoyed the first Voice of Cards because it was simple and laid-back, but the novelty wore off about halfway through the second one.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Played a bunch of Cassette Beasts last night and I do like it a lot but...It is a bit harder than I would like. Enemies do sooo much damage that I feel like I have to heal constantly, which is more tedious than anything since you can only hold 5 health recovery items and 1 revival item at a time and have to rely on finding campfires.

I like how Monster Sanctuary handled this problem. You heal fully after every fight, and are graded on your performance in each encounter. Means the fights can be much harder because attrition isn’t a thing and you’re constantly checked on whether your team comp is good or not.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bongo Bill posted:

I enjoyed the first Voice of Cards because it was simple and laid-back, but the novelty wore off about halfway through the second one.

The second one ran way too long, the games don't work well trying to be epic journeys or whatever, they would be far better as 8-hour experiences localized to a region that doesn't sprawl out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

Todd Haberkorn AMSR simulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex5XEZBJPOc

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khP047JyVXM

ac6 feels like they jumped right over 5 and made a spiritual sequel to base armored core 4. and i'm here for it

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well… have you tried getting good?!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I also liked Voice of Cards because sometimes a really simple-rear end turn-based JRPG hits the spot and I don't know if I can jump back into Dragon Quest XI again, that game is so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah, same. My last RPG was Chained Echoes with its post-combat auto-healing. I was unprepared for the health management. I came around to it after thinking about it like the potion management in Dark Souls. Like you said it's tedious, though I like that it encourages using all 6 monsters instead of developing a super duo.

You can trade boss drops for inventory upgrades once you're introduced to the Cassette Beasts version of Gyms. You increase the cap by 1 at a time. It goes up to 25 recovery items and 5 revives.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 27, 2023