Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, got Yanqing from the starter banner. Seems cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
how's the, err, FOMO pressure / daily quests / 'time colonization' here? I don't really have a solid definition here besides "how bad will I feel if I put this down for a day or two, or if I only want to play 10-15 minutes some days?"

my track record on gachas has been: Arknights very strong, very good. Genshin Impact: good game but i felt a lot of pressure to be hitting my dailies AND my battle pass tasks AND my housing dailies. Neural Cloud: i had fun for a bit but getting spammed with like 5 real money ads every single time I logged on was awful

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Hey, a second Serval, always good to boost the AoE characters."
"Hmm, pulled Qingque. Another Erudition character. Oh well, I'll figure out if I like them more later."
"...the game just gave me a free Herta. Am I allowed non-Erudition units?"

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
...I also got Gepard's E1 off my 7th roll on the standard banner. I can't even be mad. This is just silly.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 27, 2023

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

holy poo poo i got seele from my first ten pull

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Bruceski posted:

"Hey, a second Serval, always good to boost the AoE characters."
"Hmm, pulled Qingque. Another Erudition character. Oh well, I'll figure out if I like them more later."
"...the game just gave me a free Herta. Am I allowed non-Erudition units?"

The game will give you another free Qingque eventually! It's weird.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jinnigan posted:

how's the, err, FOMO pressure / daily quests / 'time colonization' here? I don't really have a solid definition here besides "how bad will I feel if I put this down for a day or two, or if I only want to play 10-15 minutes some days?"
barely any of it. the dailies for the pity currency are way way faster than genshin's, and you can spend all your resin in like 3 minutes of autobattling. the daily stuff also seems pretty inconsequential on a day-to-day basis, and leveling characters seems like much less of a pain in the rear end. the battle pass for instance is only 8000 a week instead of 10000 and most weekly missions give like 800 each instead of 450-500.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

The game will give you another free Qingque eventually! It's weird.
i guess they wanted to give you a good roster of aoe characters for farming?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

FractalSandwich posted:

...I also got Gepard's E1 off my 7th roll on the standard banner. I can't can even be mad. This is just silly.

Well, if it makes you feel any better his first constellation or shard or whatever the gently caress is pretty intensely significant, it makes his freeze application pretty drat consistent to the point where you can actually rely on it proccing rather than it being a nice surprise. Doesn't make up for not getting a different 5 star, but as far as consolation prizes go, it could be worse I guess.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If I'm going to turn stellar jade into train tickets is there a roundabout way that's better value than just doing 180 each on the gacha screen?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bruceski posted:

If I'm going to turn stellar jade into train tickets is there a roundabout way that's better value than just doing 180 each on the gacha screen?
You can buy the tickets with the jade from the shop screen, but its the same exchange rate

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Endorph posted:

You can buy the tickets with the jade from the shop screen, but its the same exchange rate

Thanks. Sometimes these things have non-cash (or at least not directly cash) bundles stashed away somewhere that are actually good value.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Thanks. Sometimes these things have non-cash (or at least not directly cash) bundles stashed away somewhere that are actually good value.

It’s not directly for jade, but just like in Genshin you can buy a limited amount of tickets for Undying Embers in the shop. Make sure to pick those up before it rotates at the end of the month!

You can also buy them for Undying Starlight, but I’ve always found it’s better to save that for dupes of 4-stars you like as they rotate in.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Well, if it makes you feel any better his first constellation or shard or whatever the gently caress is pretty intensely significant, it makes his freeze application pretty drat consistent to the point where you can actually rely on it proccing rather than it being a nice surprise. Doesn't make up for not getting a different 5 star, but as far as consolation prizes go, it could be worse I guess.
A 5-star at 7 pity is basically free anyway, so it's certainly better than some filler 3-star cone, which is the actual alternative. It's just the worst great luck imaginable.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How important is it to have a spread of elements to cover weaknesses, putting aside skills that proc off of weakness break or hitting weaknesses? I want to use my Yanqing but March is already my ice character, and I think I may need to have her in my party for most of the time until I get another Abundance or Preservation character.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

FractalSandwich posted:

...I also got Gepard's E1 off my 7th roll on the standard banner. I can't can even be mad. This is just silly.

As a fellow Gepard E1 haver, I think he's actually really good and the fact that he and March 7 step on each others' toes a little bit is the only reason anyone's poo-pooing him (actually, they synergize quite well and the only unfortunate thing is they're both ice, but that's even better if you're fighting an ice-weak fight, which a lot of the early game is). I'm building mine with full defense to jack up the shield power and he's a monster against single tough enemies. If they don't have frost resistance then freeze from his skill fucks up their turn economy and prolongs break state, and his ult represents a really crazy amount of total mitigation against anything that's doing big attacks.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Unlucky7 posted:

How important is it to have a spread of elements to cover weaknesses, putting aside skills that proc off of weakness break or hitting weaknesses? I want to use my Yanqing but March is already my ice character, and I think I may need to have her in my party for most of the time until I get another Abundance or Preservation character.

Oh hey fellow Yanqing puller. :hfive:

I've just been running March & Yanqing together even though it's not the most ideal. Once I get another tank or healer I'll switch March off.

Anyways it seems like you do want to generally have a spread of elements. All enemies have at least 2 weaknesses from what I've seen so if you've got 4 elements on hand there's a decent likelihood of being able to break the enemies.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Can you miss quests or get locked out of areas? Been playing for a bit and have a quest to give Himiko my decision, but starting to get a few random quests for other people as well. The tutorial is still guiding me toward the story quests I guess, I just got warp.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Unlucky7 posted:

Only really matters for boss fights, but not having anyone that can reliably break is pretty bad unless you whaled hard to just outmuscle the game.

Pain of Mind posted:

Can you miss quests or get locked out of areas? Been playing for a bit and have a quest to give Himiko my decision, but starting to get a few random quests for other people as well. The tutorial is still guiding me toward the story quests I guess, I just got warp.

The space station is permanent, it's how you do the rogue-lite simulator for your weeklies

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah I'd be wary of going down to 2-element teams. 3 should be fine. Not sure if anyone would be crazy enough to do a mono-element team once those are actually possible.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm using Asta Serval Herta and Natasha and I have no idea if they synergize at all but I like to call it "team cool ladies"

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Aside from a couple cones that give you bonuses for having multiple characters of the same element, it doesn't seem like there's any incentive to stack. I could see it for things like Forgotten Hall to break elites and bosses more regularly, but for general story stuff you'll probably just want a spread. It's kind of a shame because team comps don't feel quite as intricate as they did in Genshin with element mixing effects and things like that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, stacking an element that's actually useful against what you're fighting is insanely strong. The only thing being a generalist is good for is A) going through the story when the enemy set is changing constantly and you don't really care, or B) when you can't afford to level more than 4 people in the early game, so you need to avoid situations where they're all useless. If the game actually gets hard in the long run, which I'm not even sure I want it to, I'm sure 1-2 element teams that are optimized for what you're fighting will become popular.

Personally I'm using both Herta and March and I'm fine with that. It works.

Edit: Although, I beat Svarog without breaking him once, so I honestly don't know how much that actually matters in the long run. Especially if there's powercreep since that would shift more power into the characters/skills and less from the elemental breaking system.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 27, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I haven't gotten to Svarog in the story yet but I look forward to beating him up with himself.

I'm running March/Clara/Serval/Tingyun at the moment and plan to swap March out for fire TB once I unlock them. Dunno how much stuff will be weak to lightning on the ice planet but I hope it's a decent amount! (It probably would not be)

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
What level does the game expect you to be at once you leave the station? I've been milling around collecting stuff and doing quests, which made me begrudgingly level my dudes up to 10. But there's lv. 17 FOEs milling around, and I found some 19s. So I'm wondering if it's actually worth my while to bother with those or if I should just get on with it and start my exciting space adventures and come back later.

Hell, I'm not sure I even have enough stuff to level anyone up that high.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Zenostein posted:

What level does the game expect you to be at once you leave the station? I've been milling around collecting stuff and doing quests, which made me begrudgingly level my dudes up to 10. But there's lv. 17 FOEs milling around, and I found some 19s. So I'm wondering if it's actually worth my while to bother with those or if I should just get on with it and start my exciting space adventures and come back later.

Hell, I'm not sure I even have enough stuff to level anyone up that high.

You literally run into your first stamina-waster domain for EXP books when you land on the ice planet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Each area has a few higher level enemies guarding big treasure boxes. I think you're meant to come back for them later, but that's a pain so I try to just kill them ASAP. After you get to the next planet you can farm EXP items and from that point on there's not much reason not to have everyone at max level for your Trailblazer rank at all times.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

On planet Hoth Jarilo-VI, the next train stop in other words, there is a Calyx that gives character exp when you spend the daily stamina resource on it. You'll be able to reach a full squad of 20s pretty fast and there's an anchor nearby so you can heal up between runs.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Well, that's a pretty convincing answer. Thanks.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Running Main character/Clara/March/Natasha and just got into that 20-24 gap before I can continue the story and I basically run over everything.

I should absolutely swap out the main character for Pela (who I somehow got 3 dupes of already) or even Serval until the upgrade but I haven’t bothered yet since nothing really slows me down

Clara rules once you get her up and running. She just attracts all damage to herself with big damage reductions and counters everything to dust

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Having both a shielder and a healer seems like overkill, but I guess the idea is that nothing matters when Clara is killing everything?

Edit: My team is Seele/Bronya/March/Herta, incidentally. Only recently got Seele and she replaced the MC.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

... Did I just do a loving Bloodborne reference and take a trip to Feelbad Town?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been enjoying the story a lot more since going to this planet. Fun game.

Also, Simulated Universe is pretty fun. Reminds me a bit of the Arknights roguelike thing.

The Aeons you see in the Simulated Universe are also cool and look like proper mysterious eldritch god things.

Edit: I also finally got a 5* - Welt. From what I understand he isn't one of the best ones, but he's a lot of fun to use and has a cool looking Ultimate. His field effect seems quite strong and he seems to do a lot of debuffs with his Skill. Plus he's some weird element I don't have yet on anyone else. Also his overworld attack is a cool black hole-looking ranged attack.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 27, 2023

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Ytlaya posted:

Plus he's some weird element I don't have yet on anyone else.

He's currently the only unit of that element!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Edit: I also finally got a 5* - Welt. From what I understand he isn't one of the best ones, but he's a lot of fun to use and has a cool looking Ultimate. His field effect seems quite strong and he seems to do a lot of debuffs with his Skill. Plus he's some weird element I don't have yet on anyone else. Also his overworld attack is a cool black hole-looking ranged attack.

From looking at the character list, he's actually the only person with that element in the entire game. So far at least.

Edit: Probably should've read one post down.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is there a way to skip the burst animations? I'm still on the first space station and "rules...are meant to be broken" is already getting kind of old

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding elements, do they actually do anything (aside from break enemies weak to them)? The ice characters I have can freeze, but I think that's just a separate effect and not something inherent to the ice element. They just seem like an excuse to need different party compositions for different enemies (which isn't a bad thing exactly*, but also makes the elements less interesting when they don't have any sort of inherent effects or reactions).

* Is there a way to know (beforehand) what elements you'll encounter in any given "dungeon" set of enemy encounters? Sort of like Genshin's domains?

Clarste posted:

Each area has a few higher level enemies guarding big treasure boxes. I think you're meant to come back for them later, but that's a pain so I try to just kill them ASAP. After you get to the next planet you can farm EXP items and from that point on there's not much reason not to have everyone at max level for your Trailblazer rank at all times.

Those enemies have been relatively challenging, though I imagine this is partly because it's the early game and my characters aren't even remotely built up.

Sort of like how early-game Genshin Impact doesn't even remotely resemble what late-game is like, though this is partly due to the massive impact of artifacts (is there anything similar to this in this game?).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 27, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Xun posted:

Is there a way to skip the burst animations? I'm still on the first space station and "rules...are meant to be broken" is already getting kind of old

Not as far as I can tell. You can only double the speed. The MC seems to have an annoying long animation in particular, though.

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding elements, do they actually do anything (aside from break enemies weak to them)? The ice characters I have can freeze, but I think that's just a separate effect and not something inherent to the ice element. They just seem like an excuse to need different party compositions for different enemies (which isn't a bad thing exactly*, but also makes the elements less interesting when they don't have any sort of inherent effects or reactions).

* Is there a way to know (beforehand) what elements you'll encounter in any given "dungeon" set of enemy encounters? Sort of like Genshin's domains?

Different elements inherently do different status effects on Break, so ice doing freeze isn't just from the skills. Most of the basic elements are just interchangeable dots though.

As for your second question, yes they give you a preview of the enemy weaknesses when doing anything domain-like.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 27, 2023

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I’m really digging this one. I tried Genshin Impact but I couldn’t get into the writing, it was veeery dry.

Meanwhile Star Rail just has a lot of really funny little flourishes I keep stumbling on and you can play the nameless one as an absolute weirdo non-stop.

like this reminds me of Portal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Clarste posted:

I'm sort of doing the opposite, personally. One of my big problems I usually have with gacha RPGs is overlevelling for side stuff, and then being incredibly bored with how absurdly easy the main story is. But it occurred to me with this one: I can just overlevel a second party and keep my story party at levels that seem reasonable for that! In this game's case, there's even 3/4 of a full party that they gave out for free that works and is the people running around in the story! It's perfect! Aside from that currently Natasha is no substitute for March for difficult content, holy poo poo shields are better than healing so far.

Also, who else is incredibly annoyed that they changed the pronunciation of Seele's name from "Say-lay" to "Zee-la?"
It's terrible. (I'm still totally going to pull for her. Especially since I got Bronya!)