Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Revitalized posted:

I am not planning on spending money at this time, so should I save until I can trigger a pity rate before pulling an event banner or what?
Feel free to pull an event banner as much as you want if you want the character on it. Pity carries across banners. So hard pity is at 90, if you pull 60 times and don't get a 5* character, and then the banner rotates, you'll only need 30 pulls to hit hard pity. This also applies to the 50/50. When you pull a 5* on a limited banner, you have a 50% chance to get the featured character and a 50% chance to get one of the standard pool characters. If you get one of the standard 5*s, then your next 5* is guaranteed to be the featured 5*. This carries across banners too, so essentially, you're guaranteed to get featured limited 5* characters eventually, no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Anyone else on PC having issues getting OBS capture working properly with SR? When I initially installed it and loaded the game up, it was capturing just fine with all the same settings I use for genshin. But the next time I booted up the game it was giving me a black screen that I haven't been able to resolve since. Tried killing the input source and reloading it in OBS, tried running one/both as admin, etc. Odd behavior that I haven't seen on any other game this far.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Eimi posted:

Kiana has blue eyes: :colbert: The yellow eyes are when Sirin is in control. However yes please give me Kiana and Mei and Fu Hua. Hell if Broya gets two, bring in Senti. I guess you should look out for Sirin anyway, because if we see a white haired girl with yellow eyes, then poo poo is about to go down and it should be as terrifying as someone using magenta energy.

Sirin deserves a game where she'll be happy okay!

Actually think the female mc design is similar to Sirin much like male is Kevin

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pootiebigwang posted:

Been playing this on my Steam Deck through Moonlight and enjoying it but my only major complaint about the controller support is the lack of look inversion. Thankfully it's an easy fix in the Steam Deck controller menu but the fact that there isn't any in game inversion support seems strange for a game made in 2023.

Ah, I was thinking of trying exactly this; nice to know it works. I mostly play games like this or Genshin Impact while laying in bed on my phone, but it'd be nicer to have the much better graphics from streaming it from my PC (plus bigger screen from the Steam Deck).

A lot of the interface is actually more intuitive with a touch screen, though; especially since this isn't an action game like Genshin. I feel like these games are actually primarily developed with mobile play in mind.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Captain France posted:

Always great to see this sort of thing all together like this, plus there was some stuff I didn't know about Bronya's backstory, but you missed a couple things that might be relevant.

1. Maybe you were saving this for Welt, but Himeko and Welt were somewhat close when Himeko was in college and he was her professor. Then he severed to try to keep her from getting involved in Honkai stuff. Then she did anyway, Final Lesson happened, and he partially blames himself. Given that, unlike probably all the other expies, Welt actually IS the Welt from Honkai dimension hopping, this seems relevant. (I only know about this because I got linked to the Alien Space manga as a link between the two games somewhere. Not that much of a link, but for that guy who wanted to see some more Post-Honkai stuff, there's a bit of it.) (Also if you could do Welt next, I do not know much of his deal. He seems like someone with a lot of stuff in side materials I haven't read, not much presence in the main game.)

2. As Absum mentioned, you got the wrong Bronya. Silver Wolf is clearly based on Haxxor Bunny. She's sort of Cyberpunk Bronya, with a completely different personality. She comes from a world with only one city with everything outside walled off, where she worked at Raven/Natasha's restaurant and also did Cyberpunk Crimes. Eventually she got some Multiverse Stuff hinted at her while she was trying to leave the city, left, found jack loving poo poo, and somehow wound up dimension hopping into the Captainverse Hyperion. She considered herself something of a free agent there, and between that and there ALREADY being a Bronya in the Star Rail universe and just the story economy of there apparently being TWO dimension hopping cyberpunk Bronyas, it is very possible that Silver Wolf is literally Haxxor Bunny. Then again, I doubt they're ever gonna make that relevant besides <Alludes to backstory> <Honkai Impact Players know what she's talking about, Star Rail players get the general idea>, but at least as far as listing connections that seems worth pointing out.

To be honest I thought Bronya Rand was supposed to be Bronya Zaychik (Silver Wing) and Silver Wolf was analogous to Bronya as she is in the main story. The only Captainverse thing I've kind of really seen is the one where its like the regular cast as figures from Romance Of The Three Kingdoms.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Eimi posted:

Only spend your stellar jades on Special Passes. These are used on the Character Event Warp. Those characters are generally more powerful than standard characters and rotate their availability. Never use your crystals to get standard tickets. Undying Embers and Starlight are what you get from rolling, so the more you roll the more you'll get. Starlight can be exchanged for either 5* lightcones or 4*characters. Embers are spent various things, the most important being every month you can buy 5 special passes and 5 standard passes. Always make sure you have enough to purchase those. It takes 900 total so if you don't think you'll roll enough to get that much, don't spend on the ember shop.

Endorph posted:

Feel free to pull an event banner as much as you want if you want the character on it. Pity carries across banners. So hard pity is at 90, if you pull 60 times and don't get a 5* character, and then the banner rotates, you'll only need 30 pulls to hit hard pity. This also applies to the 50/50. When you pull a 5* on a limited banner, you have a 50% chance to get the featured character and a 50% chance to get one of the standard pool characters. If you get one of the standard 5*s, then your next 5* is guaranteed to be the featured 5*. This carries across banners too, so essentially, you're guaranteed to get featured limited 5* characters eventually, no matter what.

Ah okay, well at least this takes the stress off of deciding to roll or save. Interesting thing about the 50/50 pity too, I had no idea.

Also is "Eidolons" just this game's version of the whole gacha "get character dupes to upgrade your character" thing?

Okay so,
Stellar Jade = Special Passes only
Undying Embers = the 10 cheap passes (5 of each kind)
Undying Starlight = 5* lightcones or 4* characters

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

how many universes does honkai impact have

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Sirin deserves a game where she'll be happy okay!

Actually think the female mc design is similar to Sirin much like male is Kevin

You're not alone in having that thought. Whenever we get the Imaginary Form they better get purple hair.

Splash Attack posted:

The Sea of Quanta is infinite.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eidolons are just dupes, yeah. they arent really worth really about, they seem good but much more minor buffs than even genshin. maybe that'll change but for instance, seele's e6 is just her ult making the enemy take extra quantum damage every time they're attacked for 1 turn. which seems like a pretty solid dps increase but not like, anything game changing compared to some 5* c6s in genshin.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Endorph posted:

That said, (leaks about upcoming banners) In the next patch we're going to be getting Kafka and Silver Wolf from the intro, so if you liked their designs/personalities there, save for them.

Well I'm glad to know that now because I need both of them. :swoon:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lmao, just found out qingque's jp va is actually a pro mahjong player for real. perfect casting

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Serval is actual band singer ami, too

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Tae posted:

Serval is actual band singer ami, too

Thought this meant the PUFFY singer, but it's Aimi. 😢

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

drat, I stalled out at Trailblazer level 23. I did every single sidequest, opened every chest and still stalled. Realistically I should just wait until tomorrow for the daily and for a few quests that are day-limited and it will get me the rest of the way there, but... Honestly I never use stamina items in these games after the first couple days anyways so I'm tempted to just chug the free fuel the game gave me at a couple points to get past this chokepoint. Also I'm going to find it incredibly funny, and by funny I mean sad, if Mihoyo didn't give us a condensed resin craft equivalent by default.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Well the big fight at the end of ice world was cool as hell. Just a heads up to anyone who dropped main character for another teammate, you need him/her in the party for that battle and they need to be at least lvl 30.

Ended up dropping March to land on a Clara/Trailblazer (fire)/Pela/Natasha team and I’m basically an industrial mulcher now. I know Tingyun is supposed to be better than Pela but I haven’t got a Tingyun and the game just keeps throwing Pela dupes at me so I have her up to Eidolon 3 now. Also her defense shred and buff removal makes everything easier and outright stops some boss gimmicks which is cool.

I’ll probably switch Natasha for Bailu if I ever get that lucky to get Lightning element instead of physical(already covered by Clara) and for the revive, but otherwise I don’t see anything moving me off this team until a meta shakeup drops

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I chugged all my go juice and now I'm stalled at 28 anyway.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Also I'm going to find it incredibly funny, and by funny I mean sad, if Mihoyo didn't give us a condensed resin craft equivalent by default.

Condensed Resin exists, but you don't make it through the crafting menu, iirc.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is the primary method of leveling up just from those Level Up items that you pickup? Seems like without using them I end up under-leveled?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, the experience you get from actual battle is trivial and only gets moreso the further you get. It's a weird carryover of the game's gacha roots.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Revitalized posted:

Is the primary method of leveling up just from those Level Up items that you pickup? Seems like without using them I end up under-leveled?

You reach a domain that lets you use stamina for wave fights to get exp, that's how you level up.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Revitalized posted:

Yep, you slam those to get the vast majority of your levels.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Gearman posted:

Yep, you slam those to get the vast majority of your levels.

...that explains so much. :doh:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah in the first world everything is like level 16-20, and I'm putting around at like level 10-12. Went back to the simulated reality and the first tier there is also level 16. I figured it was either that or I was missing something huge.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like the final boss of the first Simulated Universe world would be really hard (at level) without a healer. Anything that has strong AoE attacks seems like it would quickly become a problem without healing.

Good Citizen posted:

Ended up dropping March to land on a Clara/Trailblazer (fire)/Pela/Natasha team and I’m basically an industrial mulcher now. I know Tingyun is supposed to be better than Pela but I haven’t got a Tingyun and the game just keeps throwing Pela dupes at me so I have her up to Eidolon 3 now. Also her defense shred and buff removal makes everything easier and outright stops some boss gimmicks which is cool.

Pela does a very significant amount of damage. I think she might be my highest single-target damage in most circumstances (I think Welt does more when there's only one enemy, causing all the shots from his Skill to hit them).

I'm still kind of confused about a number of mechanical things. Like Speed - I get that it influences turn order, but does this have "rounds" (such that Speed does nothing if someone is already going first) or can high speed result in party members having more turns than enemies (in which case it seems quite powerful). I've been just using Asta's Ultimate (which buffs speed) the instant it comes up, on the assumption that there's no reason not to for a non-damage stat buff like that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like the final boss of the first Simulated Universe world would be really hard (at level) without a healer. Anything that has strong AoE attacks seems like it would quickly become a problem without healing.

Pela does a very significant amount of damage. I think she might be my highest single-target damage in most circumstances (I think Welt does more when there's only one enemy, causing all the shots from his Skill to hit them).

I'm still kind of confused about a number of mechanical things. Like Speed - I get that it influences turn order, but does this have "rounds" (such that Speed does nothing if someone is already going first) or can high speed result in party members having more turns than enemies (in which case it seems quite powerful). I've been just using Asta's Ultimate (which buffs speed) the instant it comes up, on the assumption that there's no reason not to for a non-damage stat buff like that.

Speed gives you more actions total. Characters with high Speed will lap the enemies and other characters.

Amusingly, the game does actually keep track of "rounds" for the purposes of like, "win within 10 rounds" but a round is just a completely arbitrary amount of time and it's possible to win in 0 rounds.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Characters with high speed can absolutely lap enemies, you can see it quite easily with Seele since her base speed is so high.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Seele has an achievement for getting 5 actions in a row.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
What's the best way to get those Trailblazer ranks after stalling out? I'm running out of side quests pretty quickly, are you guys just slamming resin and Calyxes? The level 2 rogue like is kicking my rear end too, and that was even with a nutso Seele build resetting ults on kills

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I wouldn't burn the stamina refill items to try and get trailblazer rank up, just focus on sidequests and save those for when you unlock the max level grind stuff or w/e. Treasure chests and the trotters (special monsters) in every zone also give you trailblaze EXP.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Having interesting (and pretty good, IMO) luck with the gacha so far.

I've only done the newbie banner and 20 free pulls on the standard. I've gotten:
  • Sushang
  • Pela
  • Tingyun
  • Arlan E1

• ... and the big one:

• Clara E1

First Clara was from newbie banner guarantee, second one was within 20 pulls on standard. Not ideal (I'd certainly rather have a Bronya) but I'll take it. Been enjoying her playstyle so far.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Looks like I should be able to reach 24 if I can figure out how to trigger either the Hook's Gift or Blizzard Immunity companion quest.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

delfin posted:

Looks like I should be able to reach 24 if I can figure out how to trigger either the Hook's Gift or Blizzard Immunity companion quest.

Pretty sure you can't do either of those until after the level 24 main quest.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Clarste posted:

Pretty sure you can't do either of those until after the level 24 main quest.

Yeah those both triggered for me immediately after the 24 main

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's basically just like Genshin was near release. You're expected to do daily content, and in a few months everyone will have everything unlocked and none of this will matter, so it doesn't really make sense to spend effort trying to hurry to higher trailblazer ranks (aside from maybe getting far enough to unlock the stuff necessary to complete the battlepass before it ends).

If anything, I would advise enjoying these early parts of the game where no one knows much of anything. In time all the mystique will be gone and the internet will be full of "optimal party comps." This is basically the equivalent of the phase of Genshin where I just ran around physical attacking things with Jean, my first 5* (she has this really cool ability where her charged attack crowd-controls smaller enemies - it's pretty useless in the late-game when Jean is primarily a healer, but it's great if you're just using her as your "main character" in the early game!).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf i think this game will get way less Optimized to death than genshin because the combat being turnbased is inherently more restrictive and the balance seems a lot better

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

tbf i think this game will get way less Optimized to death than genshin because the combat being turnbased is inherently more restrictive and the balance seems a lot better

That's true. I don't think the developers even had a great understanding of how the Genshin game mechanics interacted at release (which is why you have those few beginning 4* characters that are absurdly powerful). I think this is primarily due to elemental reactions, which are dramatically more simple and predictable in this.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
idk depending on what they do with he high end it might be more optimized to death given you are more restricted and any amount of player skill isn't exactly an input

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Splash Attack posted:

Theoretically? Infinite.
That might matter at all to anything, and even then only to the game they're in besides "oooooh those two are gonna get along eventually because they're gay in another universe" or "They alluded to their backstory. I either already know it, want to know more, or know enough?" Not nearly as many.

-Main Honkai Impact 3rd. This is where most of the crossovery characters are most known from, and also where a lot of multiverse stuff is. Also there is a time loop.
--A Post Honkai Odyssey, or APHO: The future of Honkai 3rd. Currently canon but as "The future" that could change. Welt is from here directly, Bronya's design is mostly copied from here. Carole was supposed to be from here before she got ousted as the MC for Trailblazer. (Probably a good decision but as a Carole fan I will always be slightly salty about it.) Presumably if Seele ever shows up here, she will look like in Star Rail
--"The Captainverse" / "Captain's Bizarre Adventure": Actually multiple universes, this is the name for the ongoing storyline shared between most of the limited time events, linked by a dimension hopping Captain and his slowly accumulating crew of AU characters. Basically no world is ever seen twice, so probably none of them will ever matter to anything outside of their event besides maybe showing up in another event. Or in Haxxor Bunny's case, MAYBE Star Rail, but that's very :tinfoil:

-Genshin Impact: You probably know this one. Lots of theories about lore links but nothing concrete.

-Star Rail: The game in this thread.

-Houkai Impact 2 / Gun Gal Z: Previous version of Honkai Impact, seems to have followed a similar but different story, originator for a lot of character designs, not brought up much anymore. Possibly swept under the rug a bit for quite a bit of "A bunch of Otaku men making an edgy game" stuff, current canonicity even as an AU or previous loop in Honkai 3rd is questionable. Also mostly untranslated, information online is scarce. Probably for the best but I can't help but be morbidly curious about previous versions of the story. Had a Bad End. Possibly worth noting that being more under the radar, they were able to be more explicit about things. Seele may call Bronya "onee-chan" and they may be from the same universe, but in Honkai 3rd their relationship seems far from "sisterly," and in Houkai 2nd it is, from what I've heard, definitely not "sisterly." (They gay)

Captain France fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 28, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

searching running searching and running

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

pleasantly surprised by how much the game makes me laugh with certain dialogue/events/item descriptions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Am I the only one who thinks that the game controls perfectly fine with k+m controls? I thought the same thing for Genshin. Granted, the lack of tool tips sucks.

Also, the drat pulling animation needs to be shorter.