Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

DancingMachine posted:

2 things I think after tonight's Kraken game 5 win:

Cale Makar seems a pretty important part of the Avs team. They didn't look the same tonight.

Replacing Cale Makar with Jack Mother loving Johnson alone changes you from like a 110 point team to an 85 point team.

That said, Seattle has a bad system but they do have A System and they play it to the hilt, whereas Colorado is really unorganized. They rely heavily on MacKinnon and Makar being awesome, which, not to entirely fault Bednar--when you have two players that special you don't want to make your team play too rigidly. But without Makar they did not look good.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ullmark has been average to bad most of this series and is clearly still dealing with the injury that he had at the end of the year. He looks bad! He single-handedly lost Boston the game tonight. They probably won't go to Swayman, but maybe they should.

Ullmark definitely ran out of fairy dust and that makes Boston just a good team. Fortunately for them, once they put Florida away they'll get either a worn out Tampa team or the Toronto Maple Leafs in the second round.

The East is a clusterfuck which almost any team might win and I'm here for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

lol I forgot about the Brodeur one

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Replacing Cale Makar with Jack Mother loving Johnson alone changes you from like a 110 point team to an 85 point team.

That said, Seattle has a bad system but they do have A System and they play it to the hilt, whereas Colorado is really unorganized. They rely heavily on MacKinnon and Makar being awesome, which, not to entirely fault Bednar--when you have two players that special you don't want to make your team play too rigidly. But without Makar they did not look good.

The Avalanche are a three player team right now - MacKinnon, Rantanen, Makar. That's not to say that the other guys don't make a contribution, but that if you're Seattle, you only need to concentrate on shutting down those three guys. Obviously "only" is doing a lot of work given their talent, but it's a far cry from last season, when like a third of the Avs roster was playing above or around a PPG rate, and deploying resources to contain the big three left half a dozen other guys who could hurt you. Now those guys are gone, hurt, or attending to off-ice matters, and Colorado doesn't have much recourse but to bend their systems around their few highly productive players.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I think the Avs probably have to be favored to win the next 2 games with Makar back assuming McCann is still out. I just think Hakstol deserves some credit for getting the performances he's gotten out of all the different lineup combinations both this series and throughout the year, regardless of the final outcome of this series.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Are we going to completely erase last year?

The primary difference between the first no-offseason-training-due-to-covid season with everyone being brand new to each other and the system and this year would be.... coaching.
(and Burakovsky, Schultz, and Bjorkstrand to be fair)
(edit: and Beniers... ok the talent is quite a bit better)

DancingMachine fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 27, 2023

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Honestly, missing Nichushkin and Landeskog is a big factor even before we lost Makar. I also think Kadri had a far greater impact last year than people give him credit for. Sure, he was playing for a big contract, but he made that second line solid (and also drew a lot of attention. He was a pest, but he was OUR pest)

I wonder what the trade deadline would've looked like if management knew Landy wasn't coming back at all

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
yeah, it’s definitely not a coincidence that once Nichushkin left the team the Avs started getting even more dunked in the toilet. Val’s one of the few guys on the team that can take away the goalies eyes net-front and drive action in the areas where goals most happen. without him, you’re relying on, uh, Ben Meyers and Matt Nieto, who, god love them but the 22-23 Avs are not exactly what you’d call a physical offensive team

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

DancingMachine posted:

I think the Avs probably have to be favored to win the next 2 games with Makar back assuming McCann is still out. I just think Hakstol deserves some credit for getting the performances he's gotten out of all the different lineup combinations both this series and throughout the year, regardless of the final outcome of this series.

The primary difference between the first no-offseason-training-due-to-covid season with everyone being brand new to each other and the system and this year would be.... coaching.
(and Burakovsky, Schultz, and Bjorkstrand to be fair)
(edit: and Beniers... ok the talent is quite a bit better)

I think Kraken's first season was mired with dump in bullshit because they lacked talent and time playing together. This season they gained quite a lot of talent and there was a lot more puck strategy. It made for more wins and at the very least, more entertaining hockey. I am not knowledgeable enough to comment on it seriously, but the beginning of last nights game the Kraken were slamming in one timers constantly from around the faceoff circles. Once they scored they seemed to try and stretch the ice for the second period and then dump in defense for the 3rd. Maybe that strategy is like playing defensively with a lead in football, but that change didn't seem to happen often last year, even in the off chance they had a lead.

I'm not sure how that all relates to Hak, but he's at least earned the benefit of the doubt.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Aces High posted:

I wonder what the trade deadline would've looked like if management knew Landy wasn't coming back at all

The players seemed to know Landy wasn't coming back before the deadline. Even then it seemed the team position was that they were hoping for him to be back for the playoffs, so they really could have Kucherov'd him.

I honestly don't know what the gently caress the front office was thinking at the deadline, because the problems with this team were obvious in October. It boggles my mind that they did nothing to address them this season.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Has there been any rumors about what happened with Nichushkin?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Rumors, yes. Actual details, no. The rumors that were reported were said to be false by Nichushkin’s agent so they don’t need repeating.

Edit to avoid double posting, but can I just say the Central division games getting played on the same night at nearly the same time is very obnoxious.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 27, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Simplex posted:

The players seemed to know Landy wasn't coming back before the deadline. Even then it seemed the team position was that they were hoping for him to be back for the playoffs, so they really could have Kucherov'd him.

I honestly don't know what the gently caress the front office was thinking at the deadline, because the problems with this team were obvious in October. It boggles my mind that they did nothing to address them this season.

even seeing the holes, it would've been a bit of a tall order to replace a 2C, 1LW, and 1G with what was available and the space they had.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Just that police supposedly showed up to the hotel and then Nichushkin left the property with team security and went straight out of town.

No clue what could have happened, doesn't sound like any sort of situation that we've encountered before.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I've been in touch with Gordie Howe's family and they are just as unclear on the Nichushkin situation as anyone else.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Starsfan posted:

Just that police supposedly showed up to the hotel and then Nichushkin left the property with team security and went straight out of town.

No clue what could have happened, doesn't sound like any sort of situation that we've encountered before.

More here.

https://denversports.com/2104860/seattle-police-report-involving-valeri-nichushkin-leads-to-more-questions/

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

What the hell

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

What in the gently caress

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Definitely seems like something with no consequences for covering up.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
so uhh... does anyone know where Nichushkin is now?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Starsfan posted:

so uhh... does anyone know where Nichushkin is now?

You posted the exact same thing in 2019

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

eXXon posted:

I've been in touch with Gordie Howe's family and they are just as unclear on the Nichushkin situation as anyone else.

Lol

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Extremely bad look for both Nichushkin and the team, and them trying to no comment their way out of it is really unhelpful.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Simplex posted:

Extremely bad look for both Nichushkin and the team, and them trying to no comment their way out of it is really unhelpful.

The Denver Post article with the news about the intoxicated human trafficking victim in his hotel room went up a couple hours ago, so i think they're going to need to come up with some sort of statement.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So when he gets deported are they going to have to carry that cap hit for the next million years, or is the league going to create a new Nichushkin Island category

fakeedit: actually he's been in the US 8 years now so he might be a citizen by now?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

So when he gets deported are they going to have to carry that cap hit for the next million years, or is the league going to create a new Nichushkin Island category

fakeedit: actually he's been in the US 8 years now so he might be a citizen by now?

I think most contracts have criminal/morality clauses that let you terminate them

like Mike Richards with the cocaine
or Ryan Malone with the cocaine

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'd assume it gets treated like Voynov's did and his cap hit didn't count while he was suspended.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I'd assume it gets treated like Voynov's did and his cap hit didn't count while he was suspended.

How long of a suspension do you get if you participated in sex trafficking

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The Dirty Burger posted:

The maximum amount allowable under the CBA

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

The Dirty Burger posted:

five thousand dollar fine

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

Depends if you're an owner or a player

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cocaine Bear posted:

You posted the exact same thing in 2019

:lol:

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
It was 3-1...

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

I did not expect that to be the “personal reasons” Nichushkin was suddenly disappeared by the Avs. What the gently caress, no wonder they tried to sit on it as long as possible. You gotta wonder whose custody he’s in now, the Avs couldn’t be stupid enough to let him loose when they could have liability.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kupo! posted:

I did not expect that to be the “personal reasons” Nichushkin was suddenly disappeared by the Avs. What the gently caress, no wonder they tried to sit on it as long as possible. You gotta wonder whose custody he’s in now, the Avs couldn’t be stupid enough to let him loose when they could have liability.

Should they have kidnapped him?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I can't wait for Gerard Gallant to be fired. It's gonna be cathartic and awesome. Dave Hakstol and Lindy Ruff are doing better than him :lol:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/MLarkinHockey/status/1651759554105843712?s=20

Hey if a defender has been on the ice for 12 more goals against than for in 6 games, and you also have 4 perfectly capable dmen sitting around doing nothing, should the coach sit him?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

How much of that is even strength?

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

Should they have kidnapped him?

I would assume that if he was a person of interest in a potential sex trafficking case, and had access to large sums of money allowing him to leave the country at will, law enforcement may have had something to say about where he should be staying, but perhaps that's too naive of me. And I'd assume the Avs would have followed that up with "if you want to have any chance of coming out of this, you don't run".

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Kupo! posted:

I would assume that if he was a person of interest in a potential sex trafficking case, and had access to large sums of money allowing him to leave the country at will, law enforcement may have had something to say about where he should be staying, but perhaps that's too naive of me. And I'd assume the Avs would have followed that up with "if you want to have any chance of coming out of this, you don't run".

Yeah this isn't how that works.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
So that's 2-18 when ahead in a series and 0-11 in closeout games. Nothing to worry about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

9 of them, he’s been on the ice for every Tampa PP goal in the series.