Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

it seems like it would be easier to just make giant monsters that aren't arachnids but wdik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

kazil posted:

why can't people just ration away their irrational fears??

That's what I don't get though. I loving hate spiders. If I see a spider, you better hope there are no woman and children between me and the escape route, because I am going to be throwing some elbows hoofing it out of there.

But... what is scary about a digital spider? It's not even a pic/vid of a real spider. It's fake, can't touch ya or nibble ya bum. Plus if they're in a game, that usually means you get to kill them. I have IRL destroyed a table because I saw a spider on it and my fight or flight kicked in and I fugued out and kick-stomped the table into the floor to try and kill the spider. And yet digi-spides don't bother me at all. If some has an irrational fear of spiders worse than I do, so much so that they can't even stand a game spider, I can't comprehend how they even life their life. If they see one, does their entire body instantly invert and teleport into the 8th dimension or something.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The stated reason Valve are dropping Windows 7: Chromium Embedded Framework. That and future Windows features/updates they might make use of.

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4784-4F2B-1321-800A

Orv
May 4, 2011
I generally agree that game spiders are not actually triggering the part of my brain that screams at real spiders, the Fallen Order ones were more annoying than scary with their back attack deal but also go play Dark Messiah again and then we can have the “video game spiders aren’t the worst” discussion.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I like the idea that people aren't already watching movies while playing games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's what I don't get though. I loving hate spiders. If I see a spider, you better hope there are no woman and children between me and the escape route, because I am going to be throwing some elbows hoofing it out of there.

But... what is scary about a digital spider? It's not even a pic/vid of a real spider. It's fake, can't touch ya or nibble ya bum. Plus if they're in a game, that usually means you get to kill them. I have IRL destroyed a table because I saw a spider on it and my fight or flight kicked in and I fugued out and kick-stomped the table into the floor to try and kill the spider. And yet digi-spides don't bother me at all. If some has an irrational fear of spiders worse than I do, so much so that they can't even stand a game spider, I can't comprehend how they even life their life. If they see one, does their entire body instantly invert and teleport into the 8th dimension or something.
You might appreciate indie game Kill It With Fire

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The 7th Guest posted:

You might appreciate indie game Kill It With Fire

Hmm, looks like it gets some deep discounts at times. Gonna pick this up the next time it's on sale. Cheers!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Something not mentioned in this post: skinning the client seems to be dead, the choice is gone from all the UI and it boots you out of anything you try to load

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Different degrees of it for different people. I have an irrational fear of heights, and while it doesn't stop me from playing games, there are some that freak me the gently caress out.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i hope they finally make it so that opening the overlay on my tv doesn't also always open a friendlist that doesn't scale properly and covers the entire screen and other buttons unless i close it every single time i open the overlay.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hmm, looks like it gets some deep discounts at times. Gonna pick this up the next time it's on sale. Cheers!

It's also on Gamepass if you got it! I've been meaning to check this out as well and this was a nice reminder. I think they also have a free demo/prequel chapter on steam called Ignition: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1291500/Kill_It_With_Fire_Ignition/

In other news, I've recently been going through a bunch of roguelikes to test them out:

Revita: unfortunately this one really didn't grab me. Part of it was personal annoyances from me, like how I don't like that our gun is a disconnected entity that is awkwardly behind our sprite and fires pathetically weak and inaccurate bullets, and how I know the whole health=currency symbol is gonna add so much stress for me. But part of it also felt that the combat and general progression and power-ups and everything felt very bland and unexciting: room after room of these cramped arenas and boring enemies being fought with my peashooter. It is very stylish looking and perhaps gets better later on, but I think it's a pass from me.

West of Dead: I like the idea of this hybrid between strategic management of cover and flanking while also being fast-paced like a top-down shooter, but it ends up being a weird Frankenstein monster where the controls feel torn between the two genres and just feels bad, like how your aiming is really imprecise since the crosshair stops short a few feet form you and you keep getting too strongly magnetically attracted to cover. Apart from that, the levels felt pretty bland and slow, and also there is so much unskippable talking that was irritating me and felt like they were just being overindulgent with their VO (though I'll admit it probably gets better, most likely just a lot for now since it's beginning tutorialization).

Going Under: I actually tried this a long time ago but passed on it, only to revisit now and quite enjoy myself! There is a somewhat imprecise wibbly-wobbly chaos to the animations/combat that can make telegraphs and dodges and such vague at first which annoyed me back in the day, but once you get used to it, I found the combat to be quite fun: gives me Dead Rising feelings where you're just improvising with found weapons and chucking stuff about, smashing someone over the head with a laptop for an electric shock bonus and then wailing on them with a pot plant. Story was fun as well, though it might irritate some people with how overly, I dunno, smug? Progressive? Straw-man-ny? Cringy? It can be. I kinda lost interest in the latter half where they make you rerun the same dungeons over again for the second time, but it was nice while it lasted and I could see myself going back again later.

Anyone have any impressions on Ember Knights? I'm a bit hesitant to check it out since it's in early access, but I'd love a good coop beat-em-up RPG hybrid like Dragon's Crown or Wizard of Legend or the Gauntlet games and was wondering if this would fit the bill with the way it's developing.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 28, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/DailyJSurvivor/status/1650934448492257285

You know in my day we just had to fight the spiders and kill them

It should replace the spiders with more spiders

Hwurmp posted:

Oops! ALL Spiders

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
People seem to be apprehensive about Polychromia. I went straight to the full game and so far the curve has been gradual. Combining the various colours is much easier than it might seem initially. The game is also very relaxing, so it's hard to get mad at any one puzzle in particular.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Mr.Acula posted:

People are seriously such pussies these days lmao

Maybe they're just trying to make a play for an Innovation in Accessibility award.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

secretly best girl posted:

Something not mentioned in this post: skinning the client seems to be dead, the choice is gone from all the UI and it boots you out of anything you try to load

Oh ffs.
End of the era truly. I no longer use anything that supports custom skins. :(

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

gently caress yessssssssssssssdsssddssssssssss

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Hogama posted:

Edit: After typing all that, though, duh, the specific thing about those instructions is just asking the staff at the place you found the note. You'll get a new dialogue option that you were supposed to "Ask for Garcia" and the person working there should give you something to start the job.

An interesting thing about Shadows of Doubt, especially with side-jobs, when you have real sparse information is that you can always try finding out more information about who listed the job. You might have to get real creative depending on how you get the job details - like if it's a phone call, you might have to go searching call records to track down where a call was made at what time, or if you meet in person you might try tailing them home - but generally once you know how to find the job's commissioner, you can usually drastically narrow your search parameters for the intended target - even if you don't find any specific clues written down at their home or in their v-mail, they're usually after people they know like neighbors or co-workers. It's not a guarantee that the game didn't have an error in case generation, but in a game all about detective work, it's kind of cool to be able to sleuth it out like that, no?

I did get the bug of phasing through an apartment wall while standing up from a bench, though, so game's definitely still got some jank.

I'll keep this in mind for one of my current side-jobs where I need to find someone who is 35, with green eyes, tennis elbow, and high blood pressure. No other information. I kept it active in case I got lucky while doing other cases.

At some point the game has shifted away from a detective game and more toward being a cat burglar game. Maybe around the time when I essentially tossed half of an entire apartment building looking for one dude, stealing everything of value in the process. Not sure.

I also suspect that my last murder case bugged and the game won't move on even though I turned it in and got paid and everything. I've been past the murder scene a few times while doing side-jobs and it's still taped up with a guard outside, it's been over 5 hours and no new murders have happened. No idea if it's supposed to be regular or if it's all RNG.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Dominions' Colossal Stone Head making a cameo appearance, I see.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
The spiders in Dark Souls 2 and finger spiders in Elden Ring give me the big ick!!! :ohdear:

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

The ones in Grounded are scary af. I don't fault anyone for turning those off.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How about that new UI

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Squiggle posted:

I don't like them at all but knowing that the big limbless orb or large cute creature or whatever they replace it with is actually an invisible, monstrous, secret spider wearing something else's skin is worse. It's why the fuckin mimics in Prey suck so much.

There are spiders all around you. They could be anything... or anyone

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What's the general feeling on Weird West? It's 60% off right now and that's got me tempted.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

ultrafilter posted:

What's the general feeling on Weird West? It's 60% off right now and that's got me tempted.

I think it's on gamepass if you want to try it there

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Owl Inspector posted:

I really can't believe how good pentiment has been

The walls having the kids' drawings on them is so loving great knowing how Paul had to hide his love for art from his piece of poo poo dad, and seeing him encourage creativity in his own kids to break that cycle is the best :shobon:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

ultrafilter posted:

It was pretty fun but about 1/4 longer than it needs to be (i never finished it, for what that says). It's a hoot seeing what kind of crazy poo poo you can do with the physics systems though. There's mod support now and some good ones it looks like on the workshop but I haven't tried any. 60% off is a pretty good deal for it imo.

Edit: here's the thread I made for it a year ago, you can get a feel for the goon consensus:

[https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3998883&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 28, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

The walls having the kids' drawings on them is so loving great knowing how Paul had to hide his love for art from his piece of poo poo dad, and seeing him encourage creativity in his own kids to break that cycle is the best :shobon:

Not gonna lie, this hit unexpectedly hard

I initially wasn't sold on a perspective shift to someone who you haven't gotten to know during the rest of the game (my closest guess for how this would play out would have been Caspar) but this has actually been a brilliant way for the story to show the impression Andreas made on the townspeople and the legacy of choices in acts 1 and 2 a full generation later, like seeing Matilda and Wojslav together with the knowledge of how it could have ended for her in act 1. what a journey this game has been.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Wasn't there a thing about play-testers for Half-life 2 reacting really badly to the poison crab things? Like, a visceral hate for them, even if the play mechanics didn't make them out as worse than any other jumping annoying thing?

In real life, I try to be nice to spiders and carry them outdoors or whatever without harming them, but in games? Spiders are an awful, horrible thing that usually by game design are meant to come at either me or my little pixel mans, stab them and probably poison them too. Spiders in games? Bad news.

poo poo, there's that spider event in FTL. I think the news is, kill all spiders in games.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

brains don't give a poo poo about what's rational, i realize this is shocking news to someone who literally lost consciousness and destroyed furniture in response to a scare

Rappaport posted:

kill all spiders in games.
correct

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Something Awful, of all forums, shouldn't be the ones making fun of what other people don't want to see or are afraid of seeing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have no personal feelings on the matter except that I believe these so-called "Arachnophobia Modes" are misnamed. I think they should INCREASE the amount of spiders.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Phobeste posted:

My gamer, windows 7 is almost old enough an sa moderator would not be interested. It is time to move on

My other PC runs Win 7 still because upgrades to Win 10, both in place or fresh, make it hard lock. Maybe Win 11 is ok, but I'm not pleased I have to do something about it.

e: and if I ever write a game, arachnophobia mode would start out fine and slowly everything would become more and more spider-like. Free exposure therapy!

Gromit fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 28, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011

Leal posted:

Something Awful, of all forums, shouldn't be the ones making fun of what other people don't want to see or are afraid of seeing.

exquisite tea posted:

I have no personal feelings on the matter except that I believe these so-called "Arachnophobia Modes" are misnamed. I think they should INCREASE the amount of spiders.

Agreed, replace all spiders with goaste.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Ciaphas posted:

brains don't give a poo poo about what's rational, i realize this is shocking news to someone who literally lost consciousness and destroyed furniture in response to a scare

correct

Spiders don't bother me in particular, but I'm not embarrassed to admit I lost my poo poo when I found a Huntsman spider in my bedroom once and chased it across the room spraying a can of raid and clobbering it with a block of wood so hard its legs flew off

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
spiders are powerful friends to all of mankind. overcome your fear by visualizing the ten thousand insects crawling all over your body that the spiders nicely caught and ate for you to save you from.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Foul Fowl posted:

spiders are powerful friends to all of mankind. overcome your fear by visualizing the ten thousand insects crawling all over your body that the spiders nicely caught and ate for you to save you from.

One Weird Trick Tantrists Hate!

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Spiders don't bother me in particular, but I'm not embarrassed to admit I lost my poo poo when I found a Huntsman spider in my bedroom once and chased it across the room spraying a can of raid and clobbering it with a block of wood so hard its legs flew off

the spiders you can see are fine, its when you know they're there but they've disappeared that you start to wonder. i remember as a teenager id have a huntsman in my bedroom every so often and just ignore it, until just before i went to bed it'd disappear from its ceiling corner. and so during the night while sleeping i'd sometimes move and touch my face or something and snap out of my dream, absolutely convinced that the spider was in the bed with me. so you get out of bed, check around a bit, dont find poo poo.. alright, back to sleep i guess?

although one time i was driving my beat up commodore on the highway and a cockroach or spider or bug or something started climbing up the back of my neck, that was very real.. had to grab it one handed, open the window and fling it out. same car had a huntsman chilling out in the boot for a while, now that i think about it

i had very very cheap cars and had no garage to park them in so i guess it was inevitable

boofhead fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 28, 2023

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

I drove a Tandy, myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Some jumping spiders wear water droplets on their heads in case they get thirsty.

Video games always put the creepy spiders in & they should put the cute ones in instead.