Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

klen dool posted:

I'm thinking about getting a steam deck, I'm currently using a steam controller on a desktop and have been for years now. Is the right touchpad viable for mouse camera movement on third and first person games that support simultaneous gamepad and mouse like death stranding or prey or whatever?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

klen dool posted:

I'm thinking about getting a steam deck, I'm currently using a steam controller on a desktop and have been for years now. Is the right touchpad viable for mouse camera movement on third and first person games that support simultaneous gamepad and mouse like death stranding or prey or whatever?

Absolutely

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

klen dool posted:

If you've been using a Steam Controller you know exactly what you're getting here, works exactly the same way.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I'm playing through Mooncrash now and it runs super smoothly. That said, I prefer joystick+gyro to the touchpad personally.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The trackpad is smaller than the Steam Controller which was an adjustment, but yup works the same way otherwise.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MarcusSA posted:

If true its as close as anyone is going to get to the steam deck.

https://twitter.com/_snoopytech_/status/1651354672081272834?s=20

I'm glad this exists for weirdos who want a more powerful Deck, I've seen several videos with people somehow complaining about the Deck's lack of "power."

Also, lmao at 1080p on a 7 inch screen. There's literally no way anyone will ever tell the difference and I'm a huge resolution/frame rate curmudgeon. The nail in the coffin for me is the lack of trackpads.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
The Ally is there to trick people into buying proprietary external GPU brackets :chord:

e: or chonky battery addons

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sigher posted:

I'm glad this exists for weirdos who want a more powerful Deck, I've seen several videos with people somehow complaining about the Deck's lack of "power."

Also, lmao at 1080p on a 7 inch screen. There's literally no way anyone will ever tell the difference and I'm a huge resolution/frame rate curmudgeon. The nail in the coffin for me is the lack of trackpads.

There are some games where the text is a bit pixelized and small on the Deck screen, such as Mad Max. But it's really minor and doesn't hinder gameplay.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

tha

anks

homeless snail posted:

If you've been using a Steam Controller you know exactly what you're getting here, works exactly the same way.

heaps

Squiggle posted:

The trackpad is smaller than the Steam Controller which was an adjustment, but yup works the same way otherwise.

:D

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

There are some games where the text is a bit pixelized and small on the Deck screen, such as Mad Max. But it's really minor and doesn't hinder gameplay.

Increasing the resolution without increasing the screen size is going to make text look smaller, not bigger.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not if the UI is competently coded to scale gracefully.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That has nothing to do with changing the resolution of the game, that’s scaling the UI

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Saw this today which will be great for those that want to upgrade the joysticks but not mess with soldering:

https://twitter.com/GuliKitDesign/status/1635929705407979521?s=20

Apparently coming out next month.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
But in a vacuum, a higher resolution screen will cause un-scaled text to take up a smaller portion of the screen, so the 800p screen on the Deck may cause text to look more pixelated compared to a 1080p screen, but it won't cause text to look smaller than on a 1080p screen, which was the context of the post I was replying to.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Saw this today which will be great for those that want to upgrade the joysticks but not mess with soldering:

https://twitter.com/GuliKitDesign/status/1635929705407979521?s=20

Apparently coming out next month.

That’s pretty drat cool.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

No, the issue is games doing UI scaling based on the assumption that everyone uses a 1080p display or higher, so the absolute text size is too small, leading to pixelated text that's harder to read.

The better approach would be to tweak the scanning factor so everything gets slightly bigger at lower resolutions, but not using fixed sizes in absolute pixels, since that breaks at higher resolutions.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Edit: Sorry, nevermind.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 28, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, I think I might be RMA’ing ye olde deck. I was playing last night and my left trackpad was suddenly really hot, like nearly skin-burningly hot

Apparently I’m not the only one: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/xy1y1o/my_left_trackpad_gets_really_hot_anybody_got_an

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/tjpecf/right_touchpad_too_hot_to_touch/

It gets so hot I’m worried about it literally burning up. The only solution is turning the deck off.

I guess it’s back to my switch lite until my deck gets back.

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
Valve doing the ol' spicy trackpad.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
That's for when you need to heat up food but you're in the middle of a game, it's a feature.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wow, is there anything in the Deck can't do ??

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The hotter it runs the better the smell from the vent this sounds like a feature.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Medullah posted:

That's for when you need to heat up food but you're in the middle of a game, it's a feature.

Ah, the old Cyrix egg-fryer CPU design. :unsmith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The hotter it runs the better the smell from the vent this sounds like a feature.

I swear to you the wait will be worth it if they just send me a new deck and I get all the new ventsmell

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I swear to you the wait will be worth it if they just send me a new deck and I get all the new ventsmell

Mine is already fading, giving me a lesson in the transience on all things

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

barbecue at the folks posted:

Mine is already fading, giving me a lesson in the transience on all things

Time is fleeting, permanence is fantasy. Soon, we will all be dust.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Having a bit of an issue: I’m trying to add Prism Launcher to steam as a non-steam game (so I can play on Game Mode). However, Steam is not seeing Prism Launcher. It doesn’t show up on the list of non-steam games/applications (which is what most guides online show). I can’t just select it and click “add to steam” on the desktop main menu since that just opens up the add non-steam game prompt… which doesn’t have Prism listed. I’ve tried browsing to where it’s installed but steam is only looking for .exe files and this is some flat pack fuckery I can’t quite understand but it’s not finding it. I’ve restarted the Deck, reinstalled Prism, nothing.

Any hep?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

my mood and complexion have improved dramatically since I started adding essential oils to my vent

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

my mood and complexion have improved dramatically since I started adding essential oils to my vent

Eau de low battery

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Anti aging cream for your custom skin

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I unashamedly admit to occasionally smelling the vent to see if it still has that eau de steam going. Since I only play indies and emulation ganes, my deck stays cooler and the scent fades very slowly.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Steam Deck: Get your gaming on at five in the morn, it's what's going on, can I smell your Deck?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

https://reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/13199bd/i_only_play_wow_on_the_steam_deck_and_i_regret/

This post is funny because they only play one game on the Deck. Foolish.

The deck is meant to be tinkered with so you CAN play games on it, not to actually play them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also, the ROG Ally has eGPU support which now makes me extremely curious about using it. If it's XG Mobile only, no thanks, but if that's a TB3 port, maybe I can use my Razer Core.....

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
My guess is it's just going to be their proprietary plug. Looking at the ROG Flow (which has the same port) specs and pictures of the Ally, the XG Mobile port is what includes the USB port as it's a 'combo' interface. On the Flow at least that port is only 3.2 Gen 2. The Flow does have a TB4 port but it's separate.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

jokes posted:

Also, the ROG Ally has eGPU support which now makes me extremely curious about using it. If it's XG Mobile only, no thanks, but if that's a TB3 port, maybe I can use my Razer Core.....

It's a special plug for the special eGPU that goes with it and all together the whole stop will run you over $1200.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ah. No thanks.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Antigravitas posted:

FWIW, Valve is mostly using standard components and upstream sources. There are some Valve-sponsored code contributions to the graphics stack (mostly Collabora afaik) and to KDE Plasma (Blue Systems), but the hardware itself isn't particularly exotic and neither is the underlying OS. To get sound working, a Collabora employee contributed a single-line patch that added the PCI ID of the sound chip to the existing cs35l41 driver, for example.

The N-Gabe is a testament to how far you can get with mostly off the shelf software and semi-custom hardware. There are some laptops around that are harder to get running properly.

I mean, yes, but, no.

A friend of mine has been working for the past 6 or 7 years, for a subsidiary of Valve, but his work has been on mesa and other linux graphics drivers, as well as on an open sourced secret project valve had to speed up GPU driver compilation on Linux

Like, you can say that it's all upstream, and that's true, but don't ignore the billions of dollars Valve is pouring into maintaining that upstream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Like as someone who's been a distrohopper since the mid 2000s poo poo only started getting "good" graphics and gaming-wise after Valve started funding cool projects like Proton and funding advancements in mesa, etc.