Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Erg posted:

thank god that sequence was over in 3 minutes

I had the very real fear that hidden treasures were going to be a thing you needed to look for regularly

The robot showed up in more than one sequence. It might be a mini-game like the circuit connector one that shows up here and there.

Endorph posted:

Spend standard tickets whenever you want to, no real reason to hoard them. that said, the standard pool will update with new 4*s as they release, at least if they follow Genshin. And Genshin added a decent number of 4*s.

That took like 1+ year right? Guess I'm pulling later.

e: I got a trashcan avatar from rummaging around the trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: I got a trashcan avatar from rummaging around the trash.

being a trash goblin can pay off!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

That took like 1+ year right? Guess I'm pulling later.
no? Genshin added new 4*s really quickly. It took a year and a half for them to add new standard banner 5*s.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If they add new standard banner 5 stars, it'll probably only be after they add a new class or something.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

pulled 4x 10 so far and only got a few 4* :(
going to have to go all the way to pity for my first 5*
i only just got up to doing the simulated universe tutorial

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Honestly don't feel bad about that, it's pretty normal. Getting a 5* out of pity is lucky, not standard. drat things have a 0.6% rate after all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GateOfD posted:

pulled 4x 10 so far and only got a few 4* :(
going to have to go all the way to pity for my first 5*
i only just got up to doing the simulated universe tutorial
yeah you're meant to go the full 50 pulls on that. its not like youre guaranteed a second 5* if you get it early.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Ibblebibble posted:

"We need to ask Svarog about important plot details!"

"Yeah I can call him up he shows up whenever I do an attack."

Sometimes the ludonarrative dissonance in gachas gets pretty funny depending on how the gacha blesses you.

I was deliberately avoiding using Clara in story content until the point at which we friendship-defeated them. :v:

1stGear posted:

So I just pulled Seele. That means I won and can stop playing, right.

Can confirm that Seele is cool and good, albeit I certainly won't stop playing after winning a flip. A few other posters went into how nuts she can get, especially if you just go feral stacking Hunt blessings in Simulation.

Also, yes, always operate on the assumption that you're going to pity in a Hoyo gacha. Those rates are terrible in order to give you FOMO to fuel spending.

Anyway, it looks like we don't have a Goonfriend list? I've got a few characters reasonably well-built so far that I could share.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tempted to write character guides to put into the OP, stuff like 'yeah these lightcones are good' 'this is what this character is good at' rather than tier list stuff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I would read those and nod approvingly, probably.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Endorph posted:

Tempted to write character guides to put into the OP, stuff like 'yeah these lightcones are good' 'this is what this character is good at' rather than tier list stuff.

hell yeah I found some of the resources out there atm are painfully flat out wrong, this would be a huge help

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

At least it doesn't seem like there's a ToTD tier of 3* weapon that's really worth keeping? None of them seem that useful compared to the 4*s.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Ibblebibble posted:

"We need to ask Svarog about important plot details!"

"Yeah I can call him up he shows up whenever I do an attack."

Sometimes the ludonarrative dissonance in gachas gets pretty funny depending on how the gacha blesses you.

Svarog blasting Svarog for hitting Svarog Clara with an attack in my boss fight was pretty funny.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
idk what it is about mihoyos writing style but my eyes just glaze the gently caress over at all the extended dialogues. im probably not long for this game :(

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I just got a line of dialog where March went "now you know how I feel when you copy me," and now I'm wondering what she says if you never actually copy her? Like, I did do that a few times (and she got increasingly annoyed) but they never force it, do they? How deep do these dialog trees go?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Jinnigan posted:

idk what it is about mihoyos writing style but my eyes just glaze the gently caress over at all the extended dialogues. im probably not long for this game :(

I think one of the main developers said they love the Trails Of series which has some of the most plodding dialog of any rpg so this tracks

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

There are people who don't max-superimpose then lock 1 copy of every single lightcone type? I figure it's gonna be like genshin where there's almost certainly a character (either current or future) who a specific 3* lightcone is BIS or close enough to BIS for. Plus, you know, collectoritis.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

I think one of the main developers said they love the Trails Of series which has some of the most plodding dialog of any rpg so this tracks

What the.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'm only able to play small amounts until my vacation next week but I'm enjoying beating monsters up with mahjong tiles

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

sushibandit posted:

There are people who don't max-superimpose then lock 1 copy of every single lightcone type? I figure it's gonna be like genshin where there's almost certainly a character (either current or future) who a specific 3* lightcone is BIS or close enough to BIS for. Plus, you know, collectoritis.

Oh I'm definitely trying to do this. I've got most maxed, just a handful that haven't shown up and I'm worried I'll just mindlessly autofeed them into the weapon grind. (which I have done)

https://twitter.com/majunjuu/status/1651681600206430208

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

TV Zombie posted:

Is there a guide yet for which cards are best for which characters?

I’m also pleading for hoyo to give me characters and not so many cards

Odd as it may sound... you kind of do and don't want that?

In the early stages, yeah, getting new and different characters widens your options greatly. But you're also going to hit a point quickly where you can either invest in buffing your core team, or invest in building up a bunch of other characters that you're not using, and the former is the better option.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah even still in genshin some of the 3*s are useful.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

delfin posted:

Odd as it may sound... you kind of do and don't want that?

In the early stages, yeah, getting new and different characters widens your options greatly. But you're also going to hit a point quickly where you can either invest in buffing your core team, or invest in building up a bunch of other characters that you're not using, and the former is the better option.

This is also another problem new people have in genshin. You pull 20 characters but can’t actually build any teams because you’ve tried to invest in all of them.

Once you have a good core team I’d just stop pulling and invest in that team.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

i actually like the dialog
love the space setting and techno-babble

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I didn't get on with the start because every line of dialogue had three Capital Letters Names, sometimes with little text above it with different Capital Letters Names, but now I'm on the first planet it's settled down and seems fine

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

this game's dialog is actually pretty snappy and trails owns

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I do appreciate playing Genshin and Honkai and now this, each game very much has it's own 'voice'.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Endorph posted:

:yeah:

I dunno who it was that said this was basically star ocean on a train but drat if they ain't wrong, I'm having entirely too much fun. Was up until 2 AM last night because I lost track of time. :negative:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The Star Ocean comparisons are making me concerned that as soon as I get off this space station, I will be crashing into a Fantasy World planet where I will be spending the rest of the game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I desire Seele

Alternatively, how bad or good value is the battle pass???

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Endorph posted:

:yeah:

As someone with Experience on the subject, I can definitely say that this very much feels like Brother Wei Does A Trails Game. Specifically, with the fairly tightly-focused core cast, it feels a bit like Brother Wei Does A Crossbell Game While Also Using The CS Train, which, good taste there, Dawei.

Unlucky7 posted:

The Star Ocean comparisons are making me concerned that as soon as I get off this space station, I will be crashing into a Fantasy World planet where I will be spending the rest of the game.

Not at all. The setup is far more Galaxy Express - you'll be going from planet to planet for adventures and stories.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

I desire Seele

the battle pass (and the monthly gems thing) are the best 'value' if you want to spend money on the game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how the game lets you fill out a hotel survey, which your character takes very seriously.

I've gotten 3 of these scale items from doing stuff like that. One I traded with a fountain for (I think) some synthesis material.

Plotwise, it seems like your Stellaron "ability" is going to function sorta like the Echo in FF14, where you get random visions/dreams about the Stellaron-relatrd plot stuff on planets you visit.

Edit: One other thing I like, that I really hope continues, is that there's actually a core "party" with you during the plot. This was something really missing from Genshin. Hopefully March/Dan Heng stay as part of your team.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 28, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

The first arc after the tutorial is on a planet, but the one after that isn't.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Meowywitch posted:

It's The Genshin Battle Pass. So long as you get to 30+ each month, it's reasonably worth it to pick up the basic version (the high-end one is purely down to whether you want the attached bonus for the month). It is agonizingly Not Worth It if you don't get to at least 30, though. Absolutely never buy levels, either, unless you're at 49 and somehow fell just short of 50 on the last day or something.

Similarly, the monthly gems thing is very "worth" it if you log in every day, just like Genshin - it's about 3000 gems for US$5, when a raw purchase for that would usually cost about six times that. This of course depends on how worth it you find it to spend on the game at all, and that's going to vary enormously for everyone. And if you miss a day, your gems vanish into the ether.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Its Star Ocean but removed from the Star Trek influence so no one gives a gently caress that Himeko has an orbital laser satellite.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I like how the game lets you fill out a hotel survey, which your character takes very seriously.

I've gotten 3 of these scale items from doing stuff like that. One I traded with a fountain for (I think) some synthesis material.

Plotwise, it seems like your Stellaron "ability" is going to function sorta like the Echo in FF14, where you get random visions/dreams about the Stellaron-relatrd plot stuff on planets you visit.

Edit: One other thing I like, that I really hope continues, is that there's actually a core "party" with you during the plot. This was something really missing from Genshin. Hopefully March/Dan Heng stay as part of your team.

Post ice planet stuff given that the name for Stellaron in Japanese is incredibly close to Stigma and that Cocolia turns into a higher def form of the Herrscher of Ice, I feel pretty safe saying that Stellarons are basically Herrscher cores. Her talk to Bronya before the fight echoes the talk of people giving in to the will of the Honkai after all. Given MC's eyes, if they turn out to be this universes version of Sirin I would be insanely happy.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

SpaceDrake posted:

It's The Genshin Battle Pass. So long as you get to 30+ each month, it's reasonably worth it to pick up the basic version (the high-end one is purely down to whether you want the attached bonus for the month). It is agonizingly Not Worth It if you don't get to at least 30, though. Absolutely never buy levels, either, unless you're at 49 and somehow fell just short of 50 on the last day or something.

Similarly, the monthly gems thing is very "worth" it if you log in every day, just like Genshin - it's about 3000 gems for US$5, when a raw purchase for that would usually cost about six times that. This of course depends on how worth it you find it to spend on the game at all, and that's going to vary enormously for everyone. And if you miss a day, your gems vanish into the ether.

Speaking of, when does the daily timer reset for that for this game? I remember it being like from 8-10pm PST on Genshin, which throws me off a bit occationally.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Not to mention that in both games you're the reincarnation of a dead traveller god whose name starts with A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Story is more dragon quest 9 really, complete with magical train and searching for doodads that make people powerful but insane