Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Game 3 was a coin flip. Game 4 the Devils were better but a winnable game for the Rangers. Last night was bad, but that's 5 out of the 6 games that have been there for them (and for the Devils I would argue too, I think their only truly bad game was game 2).

Obviously I'm happy but it's hard to count the Rangers out considering that and their multiple elimination comebacks last year.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Honestly, with missing a top 4 defenseman in cernak, hedman nursing some sort of rib injury, and two rookies playing the right side with freaking bogosian, I can’t be mad at the bolts for losing this series. But I do want to see a game 7 either way.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

schmid played 18 games in the regular season with a .922 and looked steady and calm in high pressure situations

obviously these last 3 games were outlier good but there's a reason the devils fanbase was losing their minds over the absurd ""backup controversy"" between him and mackenzie blackwood (22 gp, .893).

playing blackwood as much as we did probably cost the devils the division

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wonderllama posted:

Honestly, with missing a top 4 defenseman in cernak, hedman nursing some sort of rib injury, and two rookies playing the right side with freaking bogosian, I can’t be mad at the bolts for losing this series. But I do want to see a game 7 either way.

I'd prefer not to have to watch a game 7 if you could arrange that?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Glambags posted:

We'll have to see if the rangers figure out Schmid next game (they wont). He's been solid no doubt but pretty small sample size. One cool thing is that if the rangers lose game 6 maybe they get booed off the ice at msg.

hot rookie goalie is basically a playoffs cheat code
there's no book on them
it's exactly what carried Murray to back to back cup wins

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

T-Bone posted:

Obviously I'm happy but it's hard to count the Rangers out considering that and their multiple elimination comebacks last year.

apart from anything else shesterkin is capable of stealing 2 games, he was unbelievable in the third period yesterday

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Rangers really nailed the pre-scouting on the Devils and Blackwood especially, but it has become apparent that Gallant isn't good at making adjustments in-series, similar to how Jon Cooper put a masterclass on him in the conference finals last year. Gallant considers himself "motivator in chief" and leaves the details to assistant coach Mike Kelly, which seems to leave them in a spot where they get outcoached nearly every time in the playoffs. The motivation didn't seem to be there, either, as the team seemed to look defeated pretty early in the game, and they were losing nearly every battle in the third period, where they were outshot 2-20 after going into the period down 3-0.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I feel like I'm watching Lemaire/Robinson era Devils with just how stifling they've been through the neutral zone. They've really clamped down, and Schmid has obviously been on point and a breath of fresh air. Great call by Ruff

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

shyduck posted:

Great call by Ruff

He's about due for another apology chant from the fans

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I personally don't get the hate for Ruff after the season they've had. He seems to make good decisions and the team has been incredibly resilient this year. That's at least a little bit on the coaching staff.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ThinkTank posted:

He's about due for another apology chant from the fans

Lindy Ruff is a good coach gosh darn it

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Going down to essentially 3 lines has been a really good move too, their top 10 forwards are all driving play right now and handling the workload well.

Personally I might sit Lazar (who barely plays 5v5 and didn't even play on the PK last night) and go 7 D, with Luke Hughes in there. That would give them real flexibility if they need offense or PP help when they're down. But I get not changing a lineup when you've won three straight. Also their starting 6 D have been great so it would be hard to find Luke many minutes.

Bahl has been great this series (and really since the trade deadline), he has gone from a maybe #7 guy to a real part of this team's future. I think he has 2nd pair upside and makes losing Mukhamadullin (who I'm still very high on) and Okhotiuk (who I'm not convinced will ever be more than a #7) much less impactful to their system.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Chad Sexington posted:

I know the Devils are winning with a team game, but Akira Schmid looks like the playoff goalie they needed

e: Igor was really good too

I know you’re all going to mock me for this considering I harped on it last night and we didn’t do jack poo poo, and don’t get me wrong it’s good on Schmid for making the initial saves and you can’t argue with that save percentage. But holy smokes does he throw pucks everywhere.

I’m really hoping it’s a break the seal sort of deal and once we get one things start to quickly unravel for Schmid (yes I know we have already scored on him and things haven’t unraveled). It just blows my mind that we haven’t managed to punish him yet. The rebounds are substantial.

I think a lot of it has to do with what the Rangers did to the Devils in game 1-2, rangers aren’t really getting anywhere near the middle of the ice.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 28, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah the Devils D around their own net has been insane. Not sure if it's intentional to the goalie they're in front of, or just typical playoff amping up (I much more suspect the latter). It's like you said though, exactly what the Rangers did in games 1-2 in front of their net (and really games 3/4 too tbh).

I do think a lot of his rebounds have actually been not that bad from a danger pov, like Martin Brodeur style deflection where it's going to a place where there aren't any Rangers, but there have certainly been a few there for the scoring.

To me the book on the Devils defensively is that if you cycle from low to high they're vulnerable because of how hard they collapse in front of their own net. It requires a patient Carolinaesque grinding style but I think that's how you break them down.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Boy did the Jets come right out of the gate last night like they'd already given up. A really astonishing no-show.

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm not too concerned about who wins this playoffs but man I hope Toronto doesn't go out like this again. That's just too depressing.

Toronto is absolutely going to go out like this again!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol yeah, leafs are well known for major changes after catastrophic fuckup after catastrophic fuckup.

My absolute favorite part is the part where Keefe will still be there, yet again, next year.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Jamwad Hilder posted:

On the other hand, it will be extremely funny if it happens again. Imagine the firesale if they screw this up, it could be incredible.

Matthews has a NMC for the last year of his contract, so the firesale would happen fast!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You know how the Leafs played in Game 7 last year? That's how they're going to play in Game 6 this year. And Game 7, of course. It's completely in their heads. It was incredible that they just ran the whole thing back after last year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

You know how the Leafs played in Game 7 last year? That's how they're going to play in Game 6 this year. And Game 7, of course. It's completely in their heads. It was incredible that they just ran the whole thing back after last year.

2022 Maple Leafs game 7 full blown panic attack was the funniest thing. I can't wait for tomorrow night.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

T-Bone posted:

Yeah the Devils D around their own net has been insane. Not sure if it's intentional to the goalie they're in front of, or just typical playoff amping up (I much more suspect the latter).

I feel like they played notably better in front of Schmid even in the regular season. might be coincidence, but maybe there's something psychologically helpful about having a goalie who reliably makes initial saves? lets you focus more on cutting off passes / clearing rebounds

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Just laughing this morning about the fact that the Leafs basically lost on an outright horrendous goal that any goalie should have saved 10/10 times

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

People have given me poo poo in this forum for two straight years for ranting that the Leafs can’t just run it back and something major needed to change after those losses, funny how things work out.

One thing that sticks out to me is that the widely publicized tactical approach of the team to take shots from distance with traffic just… went away in that game. Obviously you take the scoring chances you can get and the Leafs had much better ones than Tampa, but there were so many instances of guys hesitating at the points and working pucks low when they’ve been successful getting pucks on net quickly from distance and getting sticks on it.

It really felt like a lot of the Leafs players went back to overthinking trying to make perfect plays instead of the Carolina-style shoot and retrieve that had been working for them.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I have confidence in the Leafs, they'll close it out down in Tampa tomorrow night....

but holy gently caress if they lose that one are they ever screwed. The franchise may actually be cursed.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

thehoodie posted:

Just laughing this morning about the fact that the Leafs basically lost on an outright horrendous goal that any goalie should have saved 10/10 times

This has been a big part of their collapses every year, there’s a whole list of terrible laughers that Leafs fans can rattle off from every series.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

I have confidence in the Leafs, they'll close it out down in Tampa tomorrow night....

but holy gently caress if they lose that one are they ever screwed. The franchise may actually be cursed.

May?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

People have given me poo poo in this forum for two straight years for ranting that the Leafs can’t just run it back and something major needed to change after those losses, funny how things work out.

Not me my friend. I've been onto the fact Sheldon Keefe doesn't know what he's doing for 2+ years now. and Shanadubas too for that matter. Everyone involved in management is incompetent.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Jovial Cow posted:

I know you’re all going to mock me for this considering I harped on it last night and we didn’t do jack poo poo, and don’t get me wrong it’s good on Schmid for making the initial saves and you can’t argue with that save percentage. But holy smokes does he throw pucks everywhere.

I’m really hoping it’s a break the seal sort of deal and once we get one things start to quickly unravel for Schmid (yes I know we have already scored on him and things haven’t unraveled). It just blows my mind that we haven’t managed to punish him yet. The rebounds are substantial.

I think a lot of it has to do with what the Rangers did to the Devils in game 1-2, rangers aren’t really getting anywhere near the middle of the ice.

The only player going to front of the net, for most of the game, was Trouba. I'm not sure why the Rangers can't seem to do this. Devils defense is big and they've pushed the Rangers around, but they've put basically no pressure on a rookie goalie. It's astounding how little the team has been able to adjust their strategy when they're getting caved in.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Glambags posted:

We'll have to see if the rangers figure out Schmid next game (they wont). He's been solid no doubt but pretty small sample size. One cool thing is that if the rangers lose game 6 maybe they get booed off the ice at msg.

If they repeat that third period last night they're getting booed off the ice in the first period. Legitimately pathetic.

I don't ever want to see that stupid "No quit in NY" slogan again because they quit big time last night.

https://twitter.com/MollieeWalkerr/status/1651995869812600835?s=20

New line combos. Gallant is scrambling, and once again making the stupid move of not putting Kakko on the 1st line.

Panarin on the third feels too high. Theres a primal cranky HFboards poster inside of me that's beginning to get sick of him not showing up in the playoffs (aside from that OT goal against Pitt last year, he's been basically invisible).

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

No, quit in NY

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

secret volcano lair posted:

I feel like they played notably better in front of Schmid even in the regular season. might be coincidence, but maybe there's something psychologically helpful about having a goalie who reliably makes initial saves? lets you focus more on cutting off passes / clearing rebounds
Yeah, that's absolutely a thing. If I'm confident my goalie can make the initial save, that'll free me up for other assignments and positioning.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah it's definitely more of a subconscious confidence thing rather than any kind of intentional style.

Also, Jack had his worst game of the series last game and Meier still doesn't have a point despite driving play heavily at 5v5. Would be nice to see them have big game 6s.

To be fair to Meier he made a nasty move that Igor absolutely robbed him on, what a save that was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBpfyhXK4DY&t=290s

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

Panarin on the third feels too high. Theres a primal cranky HFboards poster inside of me that's beginning to get sick of him not showing up in the playoffs (aside from that OT goal against Pitt last year, he's been basically invisible).

He'll skate away from puck battles rather than engage, and the Devils pressuring everyone has rendered him ineffective. You'll see flashes of effort from him, but it feels like he's been intimidated out of existence.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I think part of what hurts Artemi in the playoffs is his game is mostly structured around being contrarian if you will. He’s usually a reliably good breakout pass because he figures out where the holes are on the ice, and in the regular season he might find himself in a one on one or one on two situation where he can breakout and hit a trailer.

The problem is the devils are absolutely swarming and no rangers are really playing the transition game besides him, everyone else is scrambling to get back to help the D, so when bread does break up ice and he looks around for help he’s got a devils D sort of just backing up holding the middle, one pressing him to the side, and then the devils forwards backchecking are beating other rangers forwards up the ice because they’re kind of circling whereas the rangers forwards were sort of stationary with no momentum trying to hold the middle of the ice. He doesn’t really have a lot of options to go anywhere with the puck.

I think it’s a system matchup issue as much as an Artemi issue. He just gets isolated a lot.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
*player with 20 points in 28 with his free agent team and 46 in 55 over his career* this loving bum put him on the 4th line! Meanwhile - Trouba 0, Laf 0, Trochek 1, the entire bottom 6 basically 0, and Zibs the same 2 that Panarin has. Definitely though move Panarin down the line up.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Not trying to gloat (seriously I'm not!) but the Rangers just really aren't a great 5v5 team, especially when they face good playoff compeition. They were did last in xGF at 5v5 last year in the playoffs, and they're dead last again this year. They have some excellent finishers which allows them to overcome some of that (and of course, Igor), but I think Gallant's strategy of making the game an absolute slog at 5v5 and waiting for PP opportunities is a good one if they can get back to it.

If they're going to win the series it's likely off of better special teams and goaltending, which they're quite capable of, their goaltending and special teams are generally insane, perhaps even more insane with Kane/Tarasenko (although those guys certainly haven't helped them at 5v5).

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

tarbrush posted:

It's great! And did not look at all likely after the shitshow of game 1

Game one and first period of game 2. poo poo seemed to change like night and day between periods one and two of game 2. In my head some :commissar: poo poo went down in the locker room. For Morale.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

thehoodie posted:

Just went back and watched. Bahahaha.

It's funny I am rooting for former Caps like Siegenthaler and Orlov but Samsonov I really enjoy seeing eat poo poo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

*player with 20 points in 28 with his free agent team and 46 in 55 over his career* this loving bum put him on the 4th line! Meanwhile - Trouba 0, Laf 0, Trochek 1, the entire bottom 6 basically 0, and Zibs the same 2 that Panarin has. Definitely though move Panarin down the line up.

Listen, we're trying real hard to pretend Laf is massively talented and going to live up to his #1 status any day now and definitely not just an adequate middle six guy, don't gently caress it up okay!?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

T-Bone posted:

Yeah it's definitely more of a subconscious confidence thing rather than any kind of intentional style.

Also, Jack had his worst game of the series last game and Meier still doesn't have a point despite driving play heavily at 5v5. Would be nice to see them have big game 6s.

To be fair to Meier he made a nasty move that Igor absolutely robbed him on, what a save that was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBpfyhXK4DY&t=290s

But we have Nico playing at an elite+ level right now.

https://twitter.com/ToddCordell/status/1652001044224782359

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mcmagic posted:

But we have Nico playing at an elite+ level right now.

https://twitter.com/ToddCordell/status/1652001044224782359

Yeah I saw this posted a few days ago:

https://twitter.com/BlueSeatBlogs/status/1651278809449070592

There's also this!

https://twitter.com/cmasisak22/status/1651997533986758656

He had two incredible chances last night (both of which Shesterkin just made good saves on). Mercer broke though in game 5, hopefully it's Meier's turn in game 6. He has also been a huge piece of poo poo at every possible opportunity including basically trying to break Igor's leg.

Feels kinda weird for the team to look so good given that it's going to game 6 and the Devils won a coinflip game that would have put them down 3-0, but really hard to complain about basically anyone right now. Even Bastian is doing a good job on the PK. As I said before I don't really get the point of Lazar if you're only playing 10F at 5v5 if and he's not even going to PK, especially with a weapon like Luke Hughes in the pressbox, but that's about it really.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Just went back and watched. Bahahaha.

It's funny I am rooting for former Caps like Siegenthaler and Orlov but Samsonov I really enjoy seeing eat poo poo.

One thing I will say is that there’s definitely something off with Samsonov physically right now, his right leg movements look very strange and he’s been slow to recover from sticking that leg out since the last couple weeks of the regular season, he’s not 100% at all.

But he’s also pretty clearly got the yips something bad, and maybe knowing that he can’t move around as well is contributing but nothing about a groin should prevent someone from closing their glove and that’s been one of his problems. Keefe is leaving him out to dry both by running Holl out to gently caress up in front of him all night and by indulging him in playing at all with his various obvious problems.