Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Cuttlefush posted:

the more i think about this question the more i'd have liked to start with https://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1914/granat/index.htm. it really depends on the person and their headspace, but for something short, comprehensive, and readable without any background i think that's the best mix. the marxist doctrine section that goes philosophical materialism -> dialectics -> materialist conception of history -> class stuggle makes a lot more sense to me as a first look than jumping in on any specific one of those.

also it actually has a bibliography that's something completely different but worth a read on its own https://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1914/granat/ch06.htm for an evergreen quote and a weirdly freeform but useful bibliography with context

I love it, thank you very much.

Also, FartS:

Cpt_Obvious posted:

gently caress you for tricking me into clicking a vaush video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Since the 1980s western capitalism has transitioned more and more towards finance capitalism & rentseeking, and away from industrial capitalism.

What if any works go into the mechanics of why this transition occurred and the consequences within the western world of the working classes?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

double nine posted:

Since the 1980s western capitalism has transitioned more and more towards finance capitalism & rentseeking, and away from industrial capitalism.

What if any works go into the mechanics of why this transition occurred and the consequences within the western world of the working classes?

The Long Twentieth Century - Giovanni Arrighi

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
it's important not to get too hung up on the industrial vs. financial capitalism divide because the former naturally creates and indeed relies on the latter. even though a static hoard of money as such is the opposite of what capitalism requires, the exigencies of capital turnover and realization of value in the market actually requires ever-increasing supplies of liquid currency and increasing populations of specialized commercial and financial capitalists to manage that money

all these people are still sitting down at the same dinner people and dividing up the surplus value created in the act of production between themselves in proportion to the capital they've invested, but it's a trap to imagine that some of them are somehow parasitic on the others. merchant capitalists just do what a sub-department of an industrial capitalist would have to do otherwise

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Yeah there's no more separation between financial capital and industrial capital more than any other competition between different capitalists but understanding why finance has become so dominant is important because it teaches a lot about the circulation and accumulation of capital, what's actually valued by the system of capitalism, and it's got major ramifications for domestic politics and international solidarity with what that means for the global political economy.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

it's important not to get too hung up on the industrial vs. financial capitalism divide because the former naturally creates and indeed relies on the latter. even though a static hoard of money as such is the opposite of what capitalism requires, the exigencies of capital turnover and realization of value in the market actually requires ever-increasing supplies of liquid currency and increasing populations of specialized commercial and financial capitalists to manage that money

all these people are still sitting down at the same dinner people and dividing up the surplus value created in the act of production between themselves in proportion to the capital they've invested, but it's a trap to imagine that some of them are somehow parasitic on the others. merchant capitalists just do what a sub-department of an industrial capitalist would have to do otherwise

michael hudson among others seems pretty hung up about this divide. i guess because if you differentiate industrial from financial capital, the former has some upsides - infrastructure, creating real use values, and so on.

i think you're right, but in the transition from one dominated by the former to one dominated by the other - there's at least one adam curtis documentary* that focuses on the pre-reagan/shareholder value uber alles/neoliberal era and interviews a bunch of capitalist management types from the keynesian era. they really did view capitalism differently to an extent - the finance capital types descending on them were seen as a plague upsetting their own empires, they had some sympathy for the workers being laid off (reducing the size of their empire), ties to local community being severed as they wound down plants and factories, etc.

in the end their views of how capitalism 'ought' to be run proved to be outmoded and got swept away by finance because the system could only tolerate the low rates of return keynesianism had led them into for so long.

* yeah yeah i know but if there's one thing he's good for is digging up real good footage/interviews/primary stuff from decades ago that's been memory holed even if his own analyses are more aesthetic than materialist

edit: this was it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfzdXaLR8sQ

Some of the viewpoints are fascinating (see 6:50)- the new capitalist class emerging at the time saw the older class as elites denying them access to wealth and glory, they saw the emergence of financial era as democratization.

and here's the view from the old era at 12:55 and 15:15 )

mila kunis has issued a correction as of 22:07 on Apr 28, 2023

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

There are structural antagonisms between finance and industrial capital. For example, industrial development benefits from low prices of credit and interest rates, which harms banking; one of the greatest successes of German political economy was realizing this and intervening in order to enmesh finance and industry into a degree of interdependence. A more recent example would be South Korea.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Cuttlefush posted:

the more i think about this question the more i'd have liked to start with https://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1914/granat/index.htm. it really depends on the person and their headspace, but for something short, comprehensive, and readable without any background i think that's the best mix. the marxist doctrine section that goes philosophical materialism -> dialectics -> materialist conception of history -> class stuggle makes a lot more sense to me as a first look than jumping in on any specific one of those.

also it actually has a bibliography that's something completely different but worth a read on its own https://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1914/granat/ch06.htm for an evergreen quote and a weirdly freeform but useful bibliography with context

Hey still on the topic of simplified theory: with regard to organizational documents or group readings. Is it ableist or an accessibility issue to write things in a complex way? I feel like ambiguity leads to unprincipled misreading and debate over interpretation rather than ideas as presented. Like alternate meanings can be weaponized in a libbish way. Like I heard this stat “54% of USAians read at 6th grade level.” But you got “uneducated” peasants and marginalized and all sorts of people (from the CPC in the 20s to the RIBPP today) understanding diamat and all manner of philosophy. It feels like a patronizing road to tread.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

If you're writing for a general audience and your piece is full of academic jargon or otherwise uses a specialized vocabulary that the audience can't reasonably be expected to possess, that's not ableism or an accessibility issue, it's just lovely writing. If you're super concerned that writing for the hoi polloi will mean you're misunderstood because you then can't use super precise terminology, well yeah welcome to writing for a general audience. Making yourself understood without requiring the reader to have existing knowledge is a skill, and a rare one at that.

Good writers will handle that in a variety of ways depending on the nature of the piece. If you've got space, footnotes that reference more in depth/academic sources, a bibliography, specific callouts in the text to other pieces that give more details, etc. all serve to both clarify in the event someone tries to misrepresent you and also give interested readers a way to get more information.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Sunny Side Up posted:

Hey still on the topic of simplified theory: with regard to organizational documents or group readings. Is it ableist or an accessibility issue to write things in a complex way? I feel like ambiguity leads to unprincipled misreading and debate over interpretation rather than ideas as presented. Like alternate meanings can be weaponized in a libbish way. Like I heard this stat “54% of USAians read at 6th grade level.” But you got “uneducated” peasants and marginalized and all sorts of people (from the CPC in the 20s to the RIBPP today) understanding diamat and all manner of philosophy. It feels like a patronizing road to tread.

good writing is good writing and bullshit writing is bullshit writing. zizek is a bullshit writer. lenin and his translators are not. i think there are a lot of overly complex/poorly written bits of theory (not from lenin) but that's because it's very hard to write clearly and simply.

simplified as in written well but simply (making it good introductory stuff) is good. simplified as in taking core theory and interpreting it at a lower level for some reason is almost always bad. stuff like the manga version of capital is it's own thing (i think - i assume it doesn't say it's just as good as reading).

the 'explainerization' of complex topics in general is extremely bad, imo. i think that might be what you're getting at?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

the antagonism is not between industrial capitalists and financial capitalists. the antagonism is between capitalists and the state they inhabit. it is the responsibility of a state to control its own money supply, keeping it out of the hands of the capitalists.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Cuttlefush posted:

good writing is good writing and bullshit writing is bullshit writing. zizek is a bullshit writer. lenin and his translators are not. i think there are a lot of overly complex/poorly written bits of theory (not from lenin) but that's because it's very hard to write clearly and simply.

simplified as in written well but simply (making it good introductory stuff) is good. simplified as in taking core theory and interpreting it at a lower level for some reason is almost always bad. stuff like the manga version of capital is it's own thing (i think - i assume it doesn't say it's just as good as reading).

the 'explainerization' of complex topics in general is extremely bad, imo. i think that might be what you're getting at?

Azathoth posted:

If you're writing for a general audience and your piece is full of academic jargon or otherwise uses a specialized vocabulary that the audience can't reasonably be expected to possess, that's not ableism or an accessibility issue, it's just lovely writing. If you're super concerned that writing for the hoi polloi will mean you're misunderstood because you then can't use super precise terminology, well yeah welcome to writing for a general audience. Making yourself understood without requiring the reader to have existing knowledge is a skill, and a rare one at that.

Good writers will handle that in a variety of ways depending on the nature of the piece. If you've got space, footnotes that reference more in depth/academic sources, a bibliography, specific callouts in the text to other pieces that give more details, etc. all serve to both clarify in the event someone tries to misrepresent you and also give interested readers a way to get more information.

Thank you both, most people were in strict agreement after a number of criticisms were implemented with this thing we’re writing as an org but one person ran it through a bot that said it’s written at a post college level. It seems straightforward and agreeable to the rest, and there is almost zero jargon especially of the ML variety. But this person expressed significant concern about accessibility and ableism. It seems well written and as brief as is practical to eliminate ambiguity. I just do agree (without being patronizing) that things should be accessible and had no good argument besides “we’ll read through this together with new people to the org” and “we want to raise people up and avoid underestimating their capacity.” In addition to the potential pitfalls I mentioned.

I also don’t have much energy to do a complete rewrite after most people are good with it.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Sunny Side Up posted:

Thank you both, most people were in strict agreement after a number of criticisms were implemented with this thing we’re writing as an org but [b]one person ran it through a bot that said it’s written at a post college level[b]. It seems straightforward and agreeable to the rest, and there is almost zero jargon especially of the ML variety. But this person expressed significant concern about accessibility and ableism. It seems well written and as brief as is practical to eliminate ambiguity. I just do agree (without being patronizing) that things should be accessible and had no good argument besides “we’ll read through this together with new people to the org” and “we want to raise people up and avoid underestimating their capacity.” In addition to the potential pitfalls I mentioned.

I also don’t have much energy to do a complete rewrite after most people are good with it.

this sounds wreckery (probably just dumb). i dunno. that aint right though. christ

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I mean, there's a valid point that even without getting jargony that pieces can use language that makes it harder for the intended audience to read, or that could come across as "academic", which might also be another word for too nerdy or too "ivory tower" or whatever term you want when someone talks down to their audience. Not saying that is happening here, of course, but it is worth keeping in mind depending on how different your audience might be from you and your group's perspective.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
yeah i mean particularly the robot bit

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Sunny Side Up posted:

Thank you both, most people were in strict agreement after a number of criticisms were implemented with this thing we’re writing as an org but one person ran it through a bot that said it’s written at a post college level. It seems straightforward and agreeable to the rest, and there is almost zero jargon especially of the ML variety. But this person expressed significant concern about accessibility and ableism. It seems well written and as brief as is practical to eliminate ambiguity. I just do agree (without being patronizing) that things should be accessible and had no good argument besides “we’ll read through this together with new people to the org” and “we want to raise people up and avoid underestimating their capacity.” In addition to the potential pitfalls I mentioned.

wrecker, fire into the sun

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I wouldn't trust whatever some dumb app spits out. Just show it to some people among the intended audience, ask them what they think the gist of it is, and adjust as necessary. If that person thinks they can do one that is free of ableism or whatever tell them to go wild and see if their stuff's up to snuff, but if 99% of people who drafted it think it's fine and especially if it's time sensitive then calls for delays should be weighed against your responsibility to membership to not be a ramshackle org incapable of sending out even a simple memo or meeting minutes.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it sounds like they're probably reading the clippy pop up box from Grammarly, which tries to model "readability" based on bodies of text it has classified as being academic or ad copy or a cover letter or whatever. they're not going to have a great corpus of working class literature nor the incentive to help you write such accomplishments. one could imagine the model says it's academic if you're using groups of terms that never appeared in its training data anywhere else but cultural criticism, history, textbooks etc.

there are simple algorithms that calculate based on sentence length and so on to give a "reading level" as they do in Microsoft Word but that's not a great measure for other reasons

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

I wouldn't trust whatever some dumb app spits out. Just show it to some people among the intended audience, ask them what they think the gist of it is, and adjust as necessary. If that person thinks they can do one that is free of ableism or whatever tell them to go wild and see if their stuff's up to snuff, but if 99% of people who drafted it think it's fine and especially if it's time sensitive then calls for delays should be weighed against your responsibility to membership to not be a ramshackle org incapable of sending out even a simple memo or meeting minutes.

i agree with this, and i'll point explicitly to effort being a great divider between people who have concerns and 'concerns'; if they really found it important, they'd have rewritten it themselves

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

I freaking love you all. Thank you.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Probably don't go hollaring that they're a wrecker tho, it'll definitely cause a disrupting delay and it's way more likely they're just way too online and saw a tweet from some dumbass.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Probably don't go hollaring that they're a wrecker tho, it'll definitely cause a disrupting delay and it's way more likely they're just way too online and saw a tweet from some dumbass.

Nah, I’m not tactless, but I have my head better wrapped around the criticism now.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Sunny Side Up posted:

What is the simplest-written and most straightforward traditional work of theory?

My first thought was Principles of Communism.

Engels posted:

What is the proletariat?

The proletariat is that class in society which lives entirely from the sale of its labor and does not draw profit from any kind of capital; whose weal and woe, whose life and death, whose sole existence depends on the demand for labor – hence, on the changing state of business, on the vagaries of unbridled competition. The proletariat, or the class of proletarians, is, in a word, the working class of the 19th century.

I’m not sure how relevant this very strict definition is. just given the prevalence of 401k plans it would reclassify a decent percentage of workers

Sunny Side Up posted:

it isn't ableist at all, no. but that example of "uneducated" Chinese peasants understanding communist theory is a point in favor of my firm belief that if a writer can't faithfully relate complex topics in a broadly accessible way it's because they don't completely understand it

not that they all have to write in that way (and some will naturally be better at it than others [and others would rather write for an academically-oriented/specialist audience]), but I’m sure Mao Marx or Lenin could figure out how to teach communism to an elementary school class

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
i do not think marx would be capable of that

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

it isn't ableist at all, no. but that example of "uneducated" Chinese peasants understanding communist theory is a point in favor of my firm belief that if a writer can't faithfully relate complex topics in a broadly accessible way it's because they don't completely understand it

not that they all have to write in that way (and some will naturally be better at it than others [and others would rather write for an academically-oriented/specialist audience]), but I’m sure Mao Marx or Lenin could figure out how to teach communism to an elementary school class

mao absolutely slams on people for refusing to break with formalist writing to fit things to the audience and situation at hand (and the lack of real understanding of the theory that implies) repeatedly throughout his works

quote:

The third indictment against stereotyped Party writing is that it shoots at random, without considering the audience. A few years ago a slogan appeared on the Yenan city wall which read, "Working men and peasants, unite and strive for victory in the War of Resistance Against Japan!" The idea of the slogan was not at all bad, but the character kung [kung, meaning working] in kung jen [kung jen, meaning working men], was written as zigzag, with its perpendicular stroke twisted into a zigzag. How about the character jen [jen, meaning men]? It became three slanting, with three slanting strokes added to its right leg. The comrade who wrote this was no doubt a disciple of the ancient scholars, but it is rather baffling why he should have written such characters in such a place, on the Yenan city wall, at the time of the War of Resistance. Perhaps he had taken a vow that the common people should not read them; it is difficult to explain otherwise. Communists who really want to do propaganda must consider their audience and bear in mind those who will read their articles and slogans or listen to their speeches and their talk; otherwise they are in effect resolving not to be read or listened to by anyone. Many people often take it for granted that what they write and say can be easily understood by everybody, when it is not so at all. How can people understand them when they write and speak in Party stereotypes? The saying "to play the lute to a cow" implies a gibe at the audience. If we substitute the idea of respect for the audience, the gibe is turned against the player. Why should he strum away without considering his audience? What is worse, he is producing a Party stereotype as raucous as a crow, and yet he insists on cawing at the masses. When shooting an arrow, one must aim at the target; when playing the lute, one must consider the listener; how, then, can one write articles or make speeches without taking the reader or the audience into account? Suppose we want to make friends with a person, whoever he may be, can we become bosom friends if we do not understand each other's hearts, do not know each other's thoughts? It simply will not do for our propaganda workers to rattle on without investigating, studying and analysing their audience.

---

Why do we need to study language and, what is more, spend much effort on it? Because the mastery of language is not easy and requires painstaking effort. First, let us learn language from the masses. The people's vocabulary is rich, vigorous, vivid and expressive of real life. It is because many of us have not mastered language that our articles and speeches contain few vigorous, vivid and effective expressions and resemble not a hale and healthy person, but an emaciated piehsan, a mere bag of bones. Secondly, let us absorb what we need from foreign languages. We should not import foreign expressions mechanically or use them indiscriminately, but should absorb what is good and suits our needs. Our current vocabulary has already incorporated many foreign expressions, because the old Chinese vocabulary was inadequate. For instance, today we are holding a meeting of kanpu [cadres], and the term kanpu is derived from a foreign word. We should continue to absorb many fresh things from abroad, not only progressive ideas but new expressions as well. Thirdly, let us also learn whatever is alive in the classical Chinese language. Since we have not studied classical Chinese hard enough, we have not made full and proper use of much that is still alive in it. Of course, we are resolutely opposed to the use of obsolete expressions or allusions, and that is final; but what is good and still useful should be taken over. Those who are badly infected by stereotyped Party writing do not take pains to study what is useful in the language of the people, in foreign languages, or in classical Chinese, so the masses do not welcome their dry and dull propaganda, and we too have no need for such poor and incompetent propagandists. Who are our propagandists? They include not only teachers, journalists, writers and artists, but all our cadres. Take the military commanders, for instance. Though they make no public statements, they have to talk to the soldiers and have dealings with the people. What is this if not propaganda? Whenever a man speaks to others, he is doing propaganda work. Unless he is dumb, he always has a few words to say. It is therefore imperative that our comrades should all study language.

https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/mao/selected-works/volume-3/mswv3_07.htm

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

indigi posted:

I’m not sure how relevant this very strict definition is. just given the prevalence of 401k plans it would reclassify a decent percentage of workers

I think it's relevant. I'm not trying to say it makes western workers not-workers, but something I'm thinking a lot about with the whole cybernetics thing is how the complex ways we have been enmeshed in capital informs our behavior compared to a worker who draws no profit from capital. we draw profit from 401ks, even from pensions, from owning houses in the imperial core that increase in value from the wealth extracted from the periphery, etc. I'm not exactly sure what that makes us, but it inextricably ties our interests up with the interests of capital and channels our behavior into reproducing capitalism without quite making us capitalists, which I usually take to mean a person who draws enough profit from their capital to reproduce themselves without selling any labor. it's why I sometimes capitalize Capital, the ecosystem with different trophic levels, as distinct from capital as money that makes money, or capitalism as the dynamics of that system.

I think you can look at industrial and financial capital in a similar way, as capitalists filling different niches in that ecosystem. we can also distinguish between small or first order capitalists, who can buy labor to make money (e.g., factory labor) from big or higher order capitalists, who can also buy labor to depress wages and shape the ecosystem (e.g., political labor). that's probably just an artifact of my own starting point and can be expressed in less revisionist terms, but it's useful for me to understand the behavior.

Zodium has issued a correction as of 09:17 on Apr 29, 2023

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

you tailor your communication to your audience, and this requires mastery and a williness to trying to understand the minds of the people you are speaking too. people fail at this by coughing up parts of a book, either because they didn't fully digest it or because of a sense of superiority

this doesn't mean that everything will be explainable to everyone, that's just a matter of being good enough at communication. five year olds don't know a bunch of things, you could teach them calculus by teaching them until they were ten year olds, but that's not what people mean

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Zodium posted:

I think it's relevant. I'm not trying to say it makes western workers not-workers, but something I'm thinking a lot about with the whole cybernetics thing is how the complex ways we have been enmeshed in capital informs our behavior compared to a worker who draws no profit from capital. we draw profit from 401ks, even from pensions, from owning houses in the imperial core that increase in value from the wealth extracted from the periphery, etc. I'm not exactly sure what that makes us, but it inextricably ties our interests up with the interests of capital and channels our behavior into reproducing capitalism without quite making us capitalists, which I usually take to mean a person who draws enough profit from their capital to reproduce themselves without selling any labor. it's why I sometimes capitalize Capital, the ecosystem with different trophic levels, as distinct from capital as money that makes money, or capitalism as the dynamics of that system.

I think you can look at industrial and financial capital in a similar way, as capitalists filling different niches in that ecosystem. we can also distinguish between small or first order capitalists, who can buy labor to make money (e.g., factory labor) from big or higher order capitalists, who can also buy labor to depress wages and shape the ecosystem (e.g., political labor). that's probably just an artifact of my own starting point and can be expressed in less revisionist terms, but it's useful for me to understand the behavior.

You mention cybernetics a lot in your posts. Could you talk a little about what it means in the context of marxism?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Principles of Communism is a text i still really like, even though it has one glaring mistaken prediction in it: the claim that communism necessarily has to start in the imperial core rather than the periphery because the imperial core has more highly-developed industry and whatnot. i think history has decisively disproven marx and engels on that point

i really do appreciate Principles's definition of "proletariat" because it makes it very clear that "proletarian" isn't the same as "worker"; slaves and peasants are also workers, they're just not the specific kind of worker that's completely unmoored from lord and land and has to sell their labor power day-by-day to survive. it's true that a literal leading here makes you cease to be proletarian the moment you get any stock options, but i think the definition still works when we understand a little more about the dynamics of the working vs. the managerial class and how e.g. a manager isn't a proletarian even if he A) gets paid a wage and B) doesn't even get a 401k. the question is whether capital valorization makes you stronger or weaker relative, and whether your livelihood actually depends on successful capital valorization rather than the production of mere use-values

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You mention cybernetics a lot in your posts. Could you talk a little about what it means in the context of marxism?

gently caress me, i accidentally refreshed just before finishing my reply

i wont speak for Zodium here, but for some context cybernetics went through a period of being labeled bourgeois bullshit in the ussr and then acceptance after Kruschev took over. there are a shitload of russian language papers on cybernetic everything but i dont think very many of them were translated.

https://cosmonautmag.com/2022/10/soviet-cybernetics-an-introduction/ is a decent looking article covering some of that and with a translated version of one of the early soviet cybernetics papers. not familiar with cosmonautmag so if it's actually poo poo or something, whoopsies (anyone know what its deal is?)

'cybernetic capitalism' i use as a shorthand for capitalism's build up of feedbacks and now literally constructed algorithms that have some control over information and markets. the speedtrading stock market bots, social media, search engines, the algorithmic nature of what information people can get. commodification of information, communication, enclosing some of the last commons (like old internet)

i don't really think that's meaningfully important from a marxist perspective in the sense that it shouldn't change how someone reads Capital or Imperialism or anything. also i think almost all of the english language writing on 'cybernetic capitalism' smell like bullshit.

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 18:01 on Apr 29, 2023

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

double nine posted:

the long twentieth century is precisely what you're looking for, it's good

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Cuttlefush posted:

https://cosmonautmag.com/2022/10/soviet-cybernetics-an-introduction/ is a decent looking article covering some of that and with a translated version of one of the early soviet cybernetics papers. not familiar with cosmonautmag so if it's actually poo poo or something, whoopsies (anyone know what its deal is?)

there’s a lot of overlap with DSA’s Marxist Unity Group: https://www.marxistunity.com/points-of-unity-and-immediate-tasks

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Marxist cybernetics, in a very short and brutal summary, refers to the application of electronic systems of planning, feedback and control in political economy. The name is a holdover from the 50s; a reason why it remains so is because doing applied computer science for political economy is interdisciplinary as gently caress and is a point of relevance for many analyses. For example, a major factor of analysis for Marxist computer scientists/cyberneticists about the fall of the USSR deals with the refusal of developing information infrastructure, which we now know would have solved many of the hurdles of economic planning and organization.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
so it's just computers

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
not really depending on what you mean by computer. it's worth reading some of the article in https://cosmonautmag.com/2022/10/soviet-cybernetics-an-introduction/ but the important part is

Key Features of Cybernetics posted:

This area of science is developing rapidly and does not yet constitute a sufficiently coherent and operational scientific discipline. At present, three main fields have developed within cybernetics, each of which is of great importance in its own right:

1. Information theory, basically the statistical theory of message processing and transmission.
2. The theory of fast-acting electronic computing machines as a theory of self-organizing logical processes, similar to human thought processes.
3. The theory of automatic control systems, mainly feedback theory, involving the study of the processes of the nervous system, sense organs and other organs of living organisms from a functional point of view.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

so it's just computers

hehehehe

tbqf, given our time, it's important to emphasize that they are the antithesis of startup mentality and elonmuskery. Instead of "programmer thinks he is better than experts of twelve other different fields about this issue", it's about integrating those systems with societal necessities and scientific approaches to develop socialism, basically.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

resolve contradictions by going on the computer

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
the computer told me to get off the computer

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mechafunkzilla posted:

so it's just computers

no not really. i heard about cybernetics before but didn't really learn about it until encountering it studying psychology. in particular I encountered it in the context of personality research with the "cybernetic big five theory":

quote:

Cybernetics, the study of goal-directed, adaptive systems, is the best framework for an integrative theory of personality. Cybernetic Big Five Theory attempts to provide a comprehensive, synthetic, and mechanistic explanatory model. Constructs that describe psychological individual differences are divided into personality traits, reflecting variation in the parameters of evolved cybernetic mechanisms, and characteristic adaptations, representing goals, interpretations, and strategies defined in relation to an individual's particular life circumstances. The theory identifies mechanisms in which variation is responsible for traits in the top three levels of a hierarchical trait taxonomy based on the Big Five and describes the causal dynamics between traits and characteristic adaptations. Lastly, the theory links function and dysfunction in traits and characteristic adaptations to psychopathology and well-being.

I don't follow this stuff closely anymore but the paper has a nice overview of how cybernetics can be used to study things that aren't computers:

quote:

The fundamental premise of CB5T is that any adequate theory of personality must be based in cybernetics, the study of goal-directed, self-regulating systems (Austin & Vancouver, 1996; Carver & Scheier, 1998; DeYoung, 2010c; Peterson & Flanders, 2002; Van Egeren, 2009; Wiener, 1961). Cybernetic systems are characterized by their inclusion of one or more goals or reference values, which guide the work carried out by the system. (In psychology, the term "goal" is sometimes reserved for conscious representations of goals, but the term is more general in cybernetics, and many goals are not conscious.) Further, all cybernetic systems receive feedback, through some kind of sensory mechanism, indicating the degree to which they are moving toward their goals. Finally, they are adaptive and adjust their behavior, based on feedback, to pursue their goals. Cybernetics is a useful, and perhaps even necessary, approach to understanding living things (Gray, 2004, chap. 3).

In psychology, "personality" is often used to describe the array of constructs that identify variables in which individuals differ, but "personality" also refers to the specific mental organization and processes that produce an individual's characteristic patterns of behavior and experience. These are the between-person, or interpersonal, and within-person, or intrapersonal, senses of "personality," respectively. Most intrapersonal personality constructs are causally interacting psychological elements that generate the ongoing flux of behavior and experience. These elements constitute a cybernetic system that, when functioning well, allows the organism to fulfill its needs (Block, 2002; DeYoung, 2010c). CB5T is an attempt to create a theory bridging the two senses of "personality," explaining interpersonal personality differences in terms of variation in the intrapersonal elements of personality.

The cybernetic component of CB5T renders it mechanistic, but a central aim is also to provide an explanatory framework capable of synthesizing the full range of phenomena that psychologists signify by the term "personality." McAdams and Pals (2006) provided an elegant delineation of the scope of personality, and the words "Big Five" in "Cybernetic Big Five Theory" serve as a reference not only to the well-known Big Five personality traits but also to their "New Big Five"—a set of five "principles for an integrative science of personality." These principles serve as a guide for the development of any personality theory and are themselves integrated within a definition of personality that is a useful starting point for CB5T: "Personality is conceived as (a) an individual's unique variation on the general evolutionary design for human nature, expressed as a developing pattern of (b) dispositional traits, (c) characteristic adaptations, and (d) self-defining life narratives, complexly and differentially situated (e) in culture and social context" (McAdams & Pals, 2006, p. 204). Each principle will be discussed at the appropriate point in what follows.

2. Personality as an evolved cybernetic system

The first of the five principles is that personalities are "individual variations on a general evolutionary design." In many ways, all people are fundamentally similar, reflecting the species-typical, evolved design of the human organism. Understanding this design is a crucial step toward understanding the variations that constitute personality. In characterizing human nature, McAdams and Pals (and many evolutionary psychologists; e.g., Cosmides & Tooby, 1992) emphasize adaptations specific to Homo sapiens, those that occurred in the Pleistocene and more recently. Although specifically human adaptations are certainly of interest in understanding human nature, equally important are adaptations that occurred prior to the appearance of hominids. Human beings share the basic mammalian brain plan, and many features of the brain, as a cybernetic system, are shared with nearly all vertebrates. Comparing the human brain with those of other mammals reveals that our cerebral cortex has been greatly expanded by evolution, but the proportions of subcortical structures are strikingly similar (Deacon, 1997; Gray, 2004). Gray (1995, p. 1165) referred to subcortical structures known as the limbic system and basal ganglia as "a mechanism for the attainment of goals." This cybernetic architecture has been extremely well preserved by evolution because it provides the general behavioral control system that allows organisms to adjust their behaviors to their situation from moment to moment to accomplish their goals and, hence, to survive and reproduce. The foundation of the mechanistic component in CB5T is a description of the major functional elements of the human cybernetic system.

The operation of cybernetic systems can be characterized by a cycle with five stages: (1) goal activation, (2) action selection, (3) action, (4) outcome interpretation, (5) goal comparison. In the first stage, one of the person's goals is activated and guides the rest of the upcoming cycle. In the second, decision making takes place to select an appropriate action to move toward the goal. In the third, that action is carried out. In the fourth, the consequences of that action are interpreted; feedback processes provideinformation about the state of the world after the action, and that information is analyzed and structured using remembered knowledge (again, not necessarily conscious knowledge). Finally, the current state is compared to the goal to detect any mismatch. If the current state and the goal match, then that goal has been accomplished and a new goal will emerge to guide the next iteration of the cycle. If a mismatch is detected, however, the cycle will begin again with the same goal in place, and another action will be selected in order to attempt to move toward the goal (or, as discussed in Section 4.2, the goal may be abandoned).

This cycle is a useful schematic,but it is misleading in one crucial way (Austin & Vancouver, 1996; DeYoung, 2010c): Most of he bet are carried out simultaneously, in parallel rather than serially. For example, people are almost constantly interpreting feedback about the world from their sensory systems, and they are almost constantly comparing what is perceived to what is predicted or desired in order to detect mismatches, before and during action, as well as afterward. They are often engaged in selecting an upcoming action, even while carrying out the current action or interpreting their situation. Why, then, is it useful to model the cybernetic process as a linear cycle? Primarily because a bottleneck exists at stage 3 (action), which renders motor action mainly serial despite the fact that most psychological functioning is massively parallel. It is very difficult for people to carry out more than one action at once. Occasionally, someone will manage two actions at once (i.e., actions aimed at two different goals, not subcomponents of a single goal-directed action such as moving the head and arm simultaneously), usually when one of them is very well-practiced or habitual, but these are the exceptions to the rule. Given that actions are mainly serial, we can conveniently delineate the necessary elements of the cybernetic system in relation to a cycle built around action.

These elements can be divided into two basic categories. First, there is a collection of mechanisms that evolved to carry out the different processes associated with each stage of the cycle. Some mechanism must activate a particular goal, so that it is sufficiently influential on psychological functioning to cause relevant actions to be carried out; some mechanism must carry out comparisons between current state and goal state and output a signal of match or mismatch; etc. Second, stored in memory is a collection of goals, actions, and knowledge about the world. Human beings adopt many different goals, possess a huge behavioral repertoire, and understand a great many patterns that exist in the world, and most of these are learned through experience rather than innately preprogrammed. These learned, updateable memory contents of the cybernetic system are deployed by the mechanisms (in the first category) that are necessary to carry out the cybernetic cycle regardless of what goal is being pursued, what action selected, and what specific situation perceived. In the following section, I will argue that these two different categories of cybernetic elements, the general functional mechanisms and the specific contents of memory, account for the distinction between dispositional personality traits and characteristic adaptations, which constitute the second and third of McAdams and Pals' (2006) five principles. Following definition and explanation of traits and characteristic adaptations in Section 3, I will return, in Section 4, to describing in more detail the mechanisms that carry out the cybernetic cycle.
and here's how they explain the cybernetic functions of the personality characteristics they measured:

this may not be the best way to study human personality but it could be an example of how if you conceive of a thing like a computer you can try to reason about it in such a manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
oh no