Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Professor Beetus posted:

If the condition wasn't causing him physical harm, which in all likelihood it was not, then yes, it's a cosmetic procedure so that his chest doesn't look all weird.

someone needs to leak the gently caress out of the full unredacted tucker texts like yesterday

For... whatever it might be worth, I doubt this was a cosmetic procedure because he was obviously proud of the way he looked and even used his condition to his advantage to make it look like he had ripped chest muscles.

If anything he probably thinks he looks "fat" after the surgery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
i didn't know enough about the guy and thought the lung collapse happened first.

In this case, then, yeah gently caress that you can mock him for the pure aesthetic aspect and his contradictions.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
You all can choose to believe what you want. Absence any evidence to the contrary I'm going to continue to assume it was completely unnecessary due to his rampant narcissism and unhinged abuse of his pregnant wife, particularly given the timing of his procedure. gently caress him, it's not hurting anyone who has that condition to say that. I'm not saying a god drat thing about anyone with that condition and I'm not mocking him for having it. I am however glad he has it and I hope it causes him excruciating pain for the rest of his life, which will ideally be short.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The posts mocking Crowder are similar to the one people used to make saying Rush Limbaugh deserves life in prison for being a drug addict. Most sane people don't think that should be the case but when you build a career partially by calling for the jailing and execution of addicts and then get caught loving around, it's more a case of "I thought you said that people who did this stuff should be buried under a jail or forced into slave labor?"

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

For... whatever it might be worth, I doubt this was a cosmetic procedure because he was obviously proud of the way he looked and even used his condition to his advantage to make it look like he had ripped chest muscles.

If anything he probably thinks he looks "fat" after the surgery

Body Dysmorphia isn't really rational

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Discendo Vox posted:

It appears very weird to consider surgery for that condition cosmetic.

Yeah but Crowder is giant piece of poo poo so gently caress him.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I feel like there's no need to argue about his state of mind as he scheduled his surgery when there's video of him verbally abusing his wife right there.

I'm not saying anyone's bad for doing it but it seems like a waste of time when there's so many uncontroversial ways he's a piece of poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

I feel like there's no need to argue about his state of mind as he scheduled his surgery when there's video of him verbally abusing his wife right there.

I'm not saying anyone's bad for doing it but it seems like a waste of time when there's so many uncontroversial ways he's a piece of poo poo.

Scheduled his surgery while his wife was about to give birth to his twin children no less. That's the real part of it that people should be focusing on. Dude decided to go in for elective surgery, for whatever his reason, while his wife was literally about to go into labor. And then she left him while he was incapacitated, assuming the timeline of events is correct because all three of those things; his surgery, his wife giving birth, and then his wife filing for divorce, happened within a month or two of the video of him yelling at her that was posted yesterday.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I mean I think there's something to the critique of him enjoying the benefit of being able to walk in and get an elective surgery to better his life, while opposing the existence of transpersons, stoking violence against them, and supporting people who are stripping them of their rights to have elective surgeries to better their lives. There's a lot of things to drag Crowder for, so take your pick, go nuts.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
A page seems like more than enough discussion of Steven Crowder’s chest. Thanks all

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Baronash posted:

Right Wing Media: more than enough discussion of Steven Crowder’s chest

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex-san-francisco-fire-commissioner-said-homeless-man-beat-metal-rod-ac-rcna81767

So to bring things away from a certain sunken chest this story was the top of All In tonight. I'd missed this particular story so forgive me if this has already come up.

So apparently the CHUDs have been all fired up about this homeless guy beating up a former fire commissioner in San Francisco, but now that this thing is going to trial it comes out that there's more to the story and that before the homeless person assaulted the CHUD the CHUD assaulted the homeless guy first.

What are the chances that this additional context will ever be mentioned in the Right-wing echosphere?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Skex posted:

What are the chances that this additional context will ever be mentioned in the Right-wing echosphere?

What does your heart tell you?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Skex posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex-san-francisco-fire-commissioner-said-homeless-man-beat-metal-rod-ac-rcna81767

So to bring things away from a certain sunken chest this story was the top of All In tonight. I'd missed this particular story so forgive me if this has already come up.

So apparently the CHUDs have been all fired up about this homeless guy beating up a former fire commissioner in San Francisco, but now that this thing is going to trial it comes out that there's more to the story and that before the homeless person assaulted the CHUD the CHUD assaulted the homeless guy first.

Oh, was that the guy that was caught on camera casually walking by and spraying homeless people with bear spray?

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

Oh, was that the guy that was caught on camera casually walking by and spraying homeless people with bear spray?

According to the article it wasn't exactly "casually walking by" while doing it. Apparently back in November he actually opened up a tent that was closed, sprayed the man in it, and told him to get out of the city.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Skex posted:

Chuds have been saying it was good and cool to pepper spray homeless people and consider him some kind of vigilante because he did what they all want to do. Meanwhile the guy attacking with the crowbar doesn't seem to be retaliating against pepper spray, only attacking him directly and they'll emphasize that.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
And here's an MSNBC piece about how Fox and other RW media are using this to call every Democratic run city a festering hellhole.
They also claim that the previous incidents of a big guy spraying homeless in the neighborhood was someone else and that in this incident they say that he never sprayed the guy, he accidentally sprayed himself.
So that guy was attacking him for no reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4XIIJAJx0E

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sax Mortar posted:

According to the article it wasn't exactly "casually walking by" while doing it. Apparently back in November he actually opened up a tent that was closed, sprayed the man in it, and told him to get out of the city.

Okay yeah, I only saw the one clip from the night where he just walked passed the guy on the street and just opened up the bear spray on him. I didn't realize there was so much other footage because today was the first I'd even heard about it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
remember when Fox News said pepper spray is just a food additive, oh and the pos cop got a settlement for emotional damages

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Elon trying to do PR damage control for the hurt he's putting on the companies he has money in that arent Twitter.
Talking as if he had any idea what public education is like.

https://twitter.com/MarioNawfal/status/1652145733791784961

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/elon-musk-bill-maher-interview-woke-mind-virus-1234725788/

"Musk pushed back, saying, “Earth is 70 percent water by surface area.” Maher quipped: “But you can’t drink that.” When Musk protested that “desalination is absurdly cheap,” he countered, “Why don’t we do it, then?"

OgNar fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 29, 2023

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
"Desalination is absurdly cheap" says the billionaire who hasn't figured out a way to turn that into profit despite water shortages worldwide.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

All you need to do is put the ocean under saran wrap in direct sunlight. Super easy even a child could do it.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Sax Mortar posted:

"Desalination is absurdly cheap" says the billionaire who hasn't figured out a way to turn that into profit despite water shortages worldwide.

He couldn’t even fix Flint.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Invalid Validation posted:

All you need to do is put the ocean under saran wrap in direct sunlight. Super easy even a child could do it.

Oh so that's what all the microplastics are for

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
"Parents are unaware of what their children are learning."

lol does musk even remember basic details of his other dozen children? like other than the one with the rocket name Ask Ex 13 or the trans kid that he is really really really angry at for totes not bullshit reasons.

e: also musk is cutting birdshit's parental leave time down to bare bones, just on the line of legal. so lol.

Quid_Yossarian
Apr 18, 2023

Not NOT a turtle

quote:

Who are the first few presidents of the United States.’ They could name
Washington, so he said, ‘What do you know about him?’ ‘That he was a
slaveowner.’ ‘What else?’ ‘Nothing.’ Like okay, maybe you should know
more than that. Slavery is obviously a horrific institution, but we
should still know more about George Washington than that.

This absolutely never happened.

Enver Zogha
Nov 12, 2008

The modern revisionists and reactionaries call us Stalinists, thinking that they insult us and, in fact, that is what they have in mind. But, on the contrary, they glorify us with this epithet; it is an honor for us to be Stalinists.

Quid_Yossarian posted:

This absolutely never happened.
Even if it did, the issue seems to be that most people don't really have much of an interest in history, at least not the way it's taught in US schools. George Washington owning slaves is much easier to remember (and more immediately relevant to modern subjects concerning racism, etc.) than the background and specifics of the Jay Treaty or whatever, especially if you have no historical grounding and everything just seems like a jumble of dates and individuals.

So the notion develops among conservatives that history textbooks must be ghostwritten by Louis Farrakhan, rather than students forgetting 98% of what they read in their textbook.

Historian James Oakes has mentioned a similar phenomenon:

quote:

In 1979, Frances Fitzgerald published America Revised: History School books in the Twentieth Century, an account of how dramatically US history textbooks written for both high school and college classrooms had changed over the previous decade. Unlike earlier generations, students were now systematically introduced to marginalized groups — black people, women, immigrants, workers. The tone of the books, far from being patriotic, struck Fitzgerald as surprisingly dark. Rather than nationalistic narratives telling of the inexorable rise of freedom and democracy, US history texts by then focused on conflict and violence, oppression and resistance to it, without all that much Whiggish progress.

One year later, in 1980, when Howard Zinn published his extraordinarily popular A People’s History of the United States, most of his younger readers would have sat in classes that likewise emphasized those same darker elements. . . Zinn’s book [had] reflected the large body of scholarship on slavery in early America, all of which treated 1619 as a crucially important date in American history. . .

Historian Robert Cohen has noted that Zinn’s archives are chock-full of letters from admiring young readers who claim to have had scales fall from their eyes upon reading his book. It was so different, they wrote, from the “stodgy” and “patriotic” textbooks to which they were subjected in school. It would be interesting to know which stodgy, patriotic textbooks they had been assigned, since, as Fitzgerald documented, they had long since been displaced by much more critical accounts of US history.
I'm sure there's been whitewashed high school and college textbooks in recent decades, but there's a tendency to generalize textbooks in general as either teaching "Thomas Jefferson was worse than Hitler" or "leftists want you to believe that the cherry tree didn't have it coming."

Enver Zogha fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 30, 2023

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

Enver Zogha posted:

Even if it did, the issue seems to be that most people don't really have much of an interest in history, at least not the way it's taught in US schools. George Washington owning slaves is much easier to remember (and more immediately relevant to modern subjects concerning racism, etc.) than the background and specifics of the Jay Treaty or whatever, especially if you have no historical grounding and everything just seems like a jumble of dates and individuals.

So the notion develops among conservatives that history textbooks must be ghostwritten by Louis Farrakhan, rather than students forgetting 98% of what they read in their textbook.

Historian James Oakes has mentioned a similar phenomenon:

I'm sure there's been whitewashed high school and college textbooks in recent decades, but there's a tendency to generalize textbooks in general as either teaching "Thomas Jefferson was worse than Hitler" or "leftists want you to believe that the cherry tree didn't have it coming."

Not to give away my age but I was in high school and college during that time and Oakes' quote accurately described my experience with American history courses in junior high, high school, and college. The goal wasn't to use history to indoctrinate students one way or the other but to take a page from science and journalism and approach the subject objectively. That meant looking at all the facts be they pleasant or unpleasant and making students realize history wasn't an ongoing Manichean struggle. You have to distinguish between many shades of gray.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Sax Mortar posted:

I think it's one of those things where it's cheap in the sense of survival but not commercially competitive. We could desalinate water for all our needs but we'd be spending a noticeable percentage of our output and infrastructure on it rather than the trivial amounts that tap water used to cost us. I remember doing some napkin calculations a couple of years ago while visiting a dryland farm and working out that you could potentially set up solar electric infrastructure to desalinate water at a rate equivalent to the flow of the Lachlan River in Australia for something like $10 billion (which is a lot of money, but not much compared to the amounts we spend on freeways, or the profits reported by our largest companies). I remember thinking it was a low enough figure to make me sad that we let river ecosystems die to provide irrigation water.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I don't know if Australia is the same way, but the leading cause of the water crises in the western US is farmers getting the equivalent of a water subsidy and using it to grow things like alfalfa as cash crops. Solving it with desalination sort of misses the point because the rivers already have enough water to preserve the ecosystem while supplying urban consumers and more productive agricultural users (winter produce in California), you'd just be building expensive infrastructure to more efficiently transfer money to alfalfa farmers.

Of course that may not be relevant to Elon Musk, who probably doesn't know what alfalfa is and is only slightly more likely to know what desalination is.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

James Garfield posted:

I don't know if Australia is the same way, but the leading cause of the water crises in the western US is farmers getting the equivalent of a water subsidy and using it to grow things like alfalfa as cash crops. Solving it with desalination sort of misses the point because the rivers already have enough water to preserve the ecosystem while supplying urban consumers and more productive agricultural users (winter produce in California), you'd just be building expensive infrastructure to more efficiently transfer money to alfalfa farmers.

Of course that may not be relevant to Elon Musk, who probably doesn't know what alfalfa is and is only slightly more likely to know what desalination is.

In parts of Australia reliant on the over-used Murray River (which occasionally is depleted to the point of needing engineering work to stop the river mouth closing over) we grow rice and cotton, which is madness.

It's a smaller scale example, but there is a cool facility further north in my state (South Australia) that produces about 10,000 tonnes of tomatoes a year using solar power driven desalination:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundrop_Farms

Edit: we also have a desalination plant in Adelaide built during the drought 15 years ago, designed to be able to supply 50% of the cities water requirements and powered entirely by renewables. The last conservative state and federal governments struck a deal to do something similar to what you describe, upping production to reduce the cities reliance on the Murray and giving more water to irrigators.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 30, 2023

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Invalid Validation posted:

had Musk ever gone to public school he would have had to watch Voyage of the Mimi like the rest of us and learn this

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

VitalSigns posted:

He briefly tried to do the "let's all come together" grift with Samantha Bee immediately after Trump was elected, but it didn't take him long to figure out the real money was in getting aboard the Trump train

How did Samantha Bee ever think this was a good idea?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

How did Samantha Bee ever think this was a good idea?

Hillary losing broke her brain and she became desperate to find allies in anyone who even mildly disliked Trump, and Beck, for as stupid and crazy as people mock for being, is actually a pretty ruthlessly cunning motherfucker and knows a mark and how to exploit them when he sees one.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Good roasts at the WH dinner tonight.
Biden rolled on Elon and MTG and even...

https://twitter.com/demsmight/status/1652509930031824898

Also a great joke about a non fungible token from Roy Wood Jr.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

had Musk ever gone to public school he would have had to watch Voyage of the Mimi like the rest of us and learn this

obligatory.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OgNar posted:

Good roasts at the WH dinner tonight.
Biden rolled on Elon and MTG and even...

https://twitter.com/demsmight/status/1652509930031824898

Also a great joke about a non fungible token from Roy Wood Jr.

Biden, after that Carlson joke:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
biden's "come on man" energy really works for him

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

The Artificial Kid posted:

I think it's one of those things where it's cheap in the sense of survival but not commercially competitive. We could desalinate water for all our needs but we'd be spending a noticeable percentage of our output and infrastructure on it rather than the trivial amounts that tap water used to cost us. I remember doing some napkin calculations a couple of years ago while visiting a dryland farm and working out that you could potentially set up solar electric infrastructure to desalinate water at a rate equivalent to the flow of the Lachlan River in Australia for something like $10 billion (which is a lot of money, but not much compared to the amounts we spend on freeways, or the profits reported by our largest companies). I remember thinking it was a low enough figure to make me sad that we let river ecosystems die to provide irrigation water.

It's worth noting that in areas where you've got desalination or nuclear operating, that those industrial processes can destroy the local ocean environment. Nuclear plants expel a lot of very hot water, which can have a detrimental effect on ocean life in the area. Desalination plants output concentrated brine, and the extremely salty water likewise can have a detrimental effect on ocean life.

They're still worth doing for a wide variety of reasons, and there are plenty of "desert" areas of the coast that are perfect because they don't really disrupt much life, but it is something to keep in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
His delivery was kind of bad and he sounds like a day away from death. That being said, if he's dunking on Elon and Tucker from his position as president I'm absolutely clapping and honking like a seal for it.