Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Japanese term that’s being translated as Augmented Human there is the same that in Gundam is translated as Cyber Newtype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i am not finding doan's island even though it is april 27th and now that i am looking it up only one article seems to have said that crunchyroll is releasing it, and that article was not on crunchyroll

i am upset

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

ninjewtsu posted:

if you just want to get into UC: the movies are perfectly good and much much faster

if you want to engage with it as a work of art instead of a historical/franchise curiosity: watch the tv show

This may be the most agreeable summation of both sides of this debate, well done

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Gripweed posted:

The Japanese term that’s being translated as Augmented Human there is the same that in Gundam is translated as Cyber Newtype.

Yeah they've had newtypes since some of the PS1 games. I think you could even undergo a cyber newtype process in the later ones.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

i started with Unicorn and turned out fine

i also watched the Rebuild Eva movies in reverse release order, quite liked that

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Azubah posted:

Yeah they've had newtypes since some of the PS1 games. I think you could even undergo a cyber newtype process in the later ones.

You could go cyber newtype game 1. It was your reward for being bad at the game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ninjewtsu posted:

i am not finding doan's island even though it is april 27th and now that i am looking it up only one article seems to have said that crunchyroll is releasing it, and that article was not on crunchyroll

i am upset

I checked several times today and it sure was not there.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

chiasaur11 posted:

You could go cyber newtype game 1. It was your reward for being bad at the game.

Yeah, there are plenty of cyber newtypes in AC, not a lot of the real ones though cause AC is. Pretty cynical!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

If it's anything like the release dates for other movies they've put on the site this month it'll happen real late in the evening.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

biz cas fri is back: https://www.rsvlts.com/collections/gundam

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

oh my god the haro one

why are these 70 bones

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

oh my god the haro one

why are these 70 bones

Not sure. I'd do the Wing Zero one for a Hawaiian shirt thing at half the price.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

i am upset

Blaze Dragon posted:

i should never have doubted

https://www.crunchyroll.com/watch/GEVUZN090/mobile-suit-gundam-cucuruz-doans-island-english-dub

Srice posted:

If it's anything like the release dates for other movies they've put on the site this month it'll happen real late in the evening.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Yeah, there are plenty of cyber newtypes in AC, not a lot of the real ones though cause AC is. Pretty cynical!

Still has some real ones, though. Fatman and RD in the V series games are the most blatant examples. I'd even say that Lynx in 4 are in a grey area, since their natural compatibility is used by the NEXT rather than being a result of cybernetics.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Just popping in again to note I'm watching episode 5 of Stardust, and wow. Nina's really off from scene 1 with the new writer.

In the first four episodes, she's kind of distant, trying to keep her cool, very professional. She's clearly warming to Kou, and them winding up together feels like the natural progression of their plots, but as of the end of episode 4, they were coworkers who were just starting to be friends. You get the feeling that, (without Mora intervening), she and Kou would take forever to get anywhere, even as it was obvious to all and sundry that they were going to.

First scene with her in episode 5, she and Kou are right next to each other, in close physical contact that suggests a lot of progression. Then the next scene, she's badmouthing Kou, when just last episode she hyped him up talking about how, wow, this kid got way better performance from the Gundam than she had any right to expect.

Episode 1-4 Nina could be stubborn, made questionable calls sometimes, and wasn't sure on her feelings for Kou, but she was a likable enough person, and clearly got along well with the Ensign. Here, she's taking the first steps towards the incomprehensible mess of clashing characterizations that will make her the most hated female character in Gundam. And Kou doesn't come off much better, responding to criticism of not taking piloting seriously enough by going MAXIMUM CHILDISHNESS at random. It worked when Amuro did it because Amuro was consistently a dumbass teen who really did understand the Gundam better than anyone else, but Kou had been level-headed enough until now, and he slapped a disc giving the Gundam upgraded performance out of Nina's hands because... pride? Like, even if he won, that'd be showing the exact thing he was accused of, not some kind of ace pilot genius. It's just... bad.

On the upside, Cima's here, and her complete lack of respect for the Delaz fleet is charming. (She also has a nice "My troops are idiots... but they're my idiots." attitude, showing just the right amount of anger at their deaths to feel like she cares and doesn't want to show it.) Back on the downside, cripes Delaz is insufferable. Like, Gihren's a genocidal shithead who takes comparisons to Hitler as a compliment, but I'll give him this. The man can give a speech. Gihren plays a crowd, you go "I get it. I hate it and everything it stands for, but I get it." Delaz, meanwhile, just sounds like an rear end in a top hat who's bitter about losing. He might as well be saying that he got the bad controller and also he wasn't trying that hard and he's gonna tell mom.

I'm also kinda disappointed with the fights, which should be a highlight from the animation and detail. Having Cima freak out about the Gundam's armor right after Keith takes a full on barrage with no visible damage hurts the scene on both ends. Sure, different weapons, different impact, but when the scrub in a grunt suit is completely ignoring attacks while the hero in the Gundam nearly dies, it doesn't make the Gundam look tough. It just makes the already contrived scene feel even more contrived.

It all started so well, but 5 episodes in, the wheels are already falling off. Shame.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
90%-95% of my complaints about the way Gundam handles Zeon can be laid at the hands of 0083 (and IGLOO). Its annoying because the first few episodes were good.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

sounds like you just don't like 0083 and have extrapolated that onto the rest of the franchise for some reason

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's something to it. Once the UC slips out of Tomino's hands you start seeing more and more a flirtation with Zeon as Anti hero or Zeon as Freedom Fighter rather than the more nuanced Tominian Zeon as evil entity composed of people with more or less Grey in their morality, tending towards black as one gazes up the hierarchy of power.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/ar031995/status/1651904340628590592?t=rUvDpO4Ime4Xka2O2x6hwA&s=19

I'm not sure if I should be concerned or proud that I can name all of these.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeziIwrcBFo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

this poo poo sucks

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's fine. Although you can tell it was made for one of those 4D things. It's the first time I've ever watched a video and noticed that my chair isn't shaking when it's supposed to.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

There's something to it. Once the UC slips out of Tomino's hands you start seeing more and more a flirtation with Zeon as Anti hero or Zeon as Freedom Fighter rather than the more nuanced Tominian Zeon as evil entity composed of people with more or less Grey in their morality, tending towards black as one gazes up the hierarchy of power.

This. Stuff like IGLOO's "OUR BRAVE YOUNG SOLDIERS SACRIFICING THEMSELVES FOR THE FATHERLAND vs THE FEDERATION'S HORRIBLE CHILD SOLDIERS SENT TO DIE FOR NO REASON", or Code Fairy's "Cute girls doing cute things, like praying for victory at the ruins of the Hidolfr"

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
IGLOO is definitely the nadir of the franchise's slow fetishization of the space fascists, with the first show ending with Oliver waxing poetic about the sacrifices of all the brave doomed pilots he served with while the Zeon flag is superimposed over him. Gravity Front wasn't as obnoxiously pro-Zeon but that was because it was spending all of its time portraying the Federation as an incompetent death cult populated with the worst kind of violent psychopaths imaginable.

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/ar031995/status/1651904340628590592?t=rUvDpO4Ime4Xka2O2x6hwA&s=19

I'm not sure if I should be concerned or proud that I can name all of these.

I'm losing my mind at the crater where Wing is supposed to be.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

3 posted:

I'm losing my mind at the crater where Wing is supposed to be.

I know, it's completely inaccurate. Heero did a terrible job trying to blow up his Gundam, how could he have managed?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arc Hammer posted:

I know, it's completely inaccurate. Heero did a terrible job trying to blow up his Gundam, how could he have managed?

He used Gundanium in the explosives, obviously.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
We've been under attack by explosives from gundanium alloy

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, the Hildolfr and its legacy don't seem like they'd be too out of place in Tomino's take on Zeon. He regularly showed sympathy for the dignity and humanity of average-Joe soldiers stuck fighting a losing war their superiors had started for stupid reasons - see, for example, Time, Be Still - and let them pull off badass stunts and heroic last stands against the good guys. It's the officers responsible for broader strategy who he tended to reserve the much greater share of his venom for.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

Honestly, the Hildolfr and its legacy don't seem like they'd be too out of place in Tomino's take on Zeon. He regularly showed sympathy for the dignity and humanity of average-Joe soldiers stuck fighting a losing war their superiors had started for stupid reasons - see, for example, Time, Be Still - and let them pull off badass stunts and heroic last stands against the good guys. It's the officers responsible for broader strategy who he tended to reserve the much greater share of his venom for.

It's explicitly "honorable soldier who died in the great zeon cause" though in Code Fairy, not "Tragic victim of war who died honorably." And, again, a team of cute waifus are praying at the wreckage for victory for Zeon, so that's like.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
None of the soldiers in Mobile Suit Gundam that express any kind of reason for fighting are doing so because of a belief in Zeon's cause or even because of any national sentiment or devotion to their leaders. Gene in the first episode wants to advance in the ranks, the soldiers in "Time, Be Still" just want to go home, Ramba Ral expressly accepted the mission to hunt down the White Base because he wanted to improve the lot of the men under him, and destroying the White Base would grant them promotions (i.e. not because of any desire for vengeance due to Garma's death), Char is initially fighting so he can advance in rank to be closer to the Zabis to assassinate them and then so he can defeat the Gundam once he feels constant loses to it have wounded his pride and so on. The same is true of the few people we see in Char's Counterattack. Gyunei joined Neo Zeon because he felt Char was the kind of person who could destroy a colony in anger and wanted to help prevent them and Quess is fighting because of unresolved daddy issues; even Nanai seems to mostly be on board due to her personal feelings for Char and not for a cause. Things are a little murkier in ZZ, because characters like Chara, Mashymre etc. seem to have some actual national pride in Axis and personal belief in their cause, as well as a devotion to Haman personally but much of ZZ (and Zeta) was written by the same guy who wrote episode 5 and 6 of Stardust Memories, Akinori Endo, and without the other principal writer, Yumiko Suzuki to ameliorate his worst tendencies perhaps.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Darth Walrus posted:

That and it's clearly an extrapolation of Shinto beliefs regarding objects having a sort of soul

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

my thoughts re code fairies: I could fix them

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Why is it called IGLOO anyway?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ManSedan posted:

Why is it called IGLOO anyway?

Because it's about weapon designs that were left out in the cold.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I still think igloo can be fun in the "Wow, Cool Robot" sense because it's fun to watch a tank blow dudes up or watch a guy in a lovely robot go so fast he explodes. But yeah the actual narrative and story elements of the whole thing kind of blow.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

According to dictionary.com... Igloo. Military. a dome-shaped building for the storage of rockets or other munitions.

I take it the idea is the metaphorical MS Igloo is the warehouse of mobile weapon rejects.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nuebot posted:

I still think igloo can be fun in the "Wow, Cool Robot" sense because it's fun to watch a tank blow dudes up or watch a guy in a lovely robot go so fast he explodes. But yeah the actual narrative and story elements of the whole thing kind of blow.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Like obviously yeah, IGLOO is good for the WOW COOL ROBOT stuff, but they'd have been better off making something like the Ultraman ULTRAFIGHT stuff- just standalone videos of poo poo fighting.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Fivemarks posted:

Like obviously yeah, IGLOO is good for the WOW COOL ROBOT stuff, but they'd have been better off making something like the Ultraman ULTRAFIGHT stuff- just standalone videos of poo poo fighting.

They did, it was called Gundam Evolve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
And the Battlogues.